Official Warriors Season Thread

Basically we have to AT LEAST go 4-1 with for sure beating Denver. I want to make the playoffs sooooo bad.

Originally Posted by daprescription

if we go 4-1 denver must go 3-2.

Im pretty sure they will lose At Utah. And to me, the GS vs Denver game will decide it all. What a great way to end the season, the two teams trying to getinto the playoffs will be decided by a head-to-head game
pimp.gif

[h1]Young Ellis continues to step up his game[/h1]
Janny Hu, Chronicle Staff Writer

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

(04-07) 22:21 PDT -- As proud a player as Stephen Jackson is, he cannot deny what is becoming apparent in these final weeks of the Warriors' regular season. Though he and Baron Davis are still the overall leaders, Monta Ellis has taken up top billing on the court.

"As far as his game, what he's expected to do every night, he's mastered it," Jackson said. "Right now, we've got to catch up to his level, because he's the one who's risen to a higher level."

With teams focused on stopping the Warriors' big three of Ellis, Jackson and Davis - who are on track to become Golden State's first 20-point scoring trio since the Tim Hardaway, Mitch Richmond, Chris Mullin "Run TMC" days in 1990-91 -only Ellis has been able to avoid a major slump lately.

At 22, he has the youth and speed to drive by multiple defenders despite logging heavy minutes all season. He has led the Warriors in scoring in three of the last five games, highlighted by Sunday's 35-point outburst in New Orleans.

Last year's Most Improved Player, though regressing defensively, has offset that by hitting 53 percent from the field - tops among the NBA's high-volume shooting guards.

That efficiency is why coach Don Nelson said after Sunday's loss to the Hornets that he'd like to see the ball in Ellis' hands more, especially when his teammates are struggling with their shot and the Warriors' offense stagnates.

"(Monta's) playing at an unbelievable level, and he's doing it without plays being called for him," Al Harrington said. "He's just doing it within the offense and finding opening and attacking guys. He's doing a great job of that and we need him to keep doing that, because he's getting guys open."

His emergence as the top offensive option hasn't come without bumps. Davis and Jackson, the only Warriors averaging more than 39 minutes per game, are still the team's best playmakers. Their ability to draw double-teams, and therefore open up things for other players, is partly predicated on their reputation as offensive threats.

It's finding that balance between getting themselves going and their teammates going, that has begun eluding them down the stretch.

"We're just trying to find ways to still stay in the game and still be effective," Jackson said. "I haven't found a way yet, because the last four games, I'm still struggling. Last time I came (to New Orleans), they played me 1-on-1. This time, they doubled me and they spotted a guy. So it's just about making adjustments."

So far, that has come with increased assist totals in the last two games. Davis and Jackson combined for 15 assists against Memphis and 18 against New Orleans.

Warriors vice president Chris Mullin, who acknowledges that his leaders have looked tired of late, is hopeful that the high playoff stakes - helped by the Nuggets' unexpected losses to Sacramento and Seattle - can help them catch Ellis' pace.

"The opportunity is there. If you look at it that way, it's more energizing," Mullin said. "The time is now, so let's take advantage of it."

Pietrus could return: The Warriors ran a 3-on-3 scrimmage for Mickael Pietrus after their regular practice Monday to test out his injured right hamstring.

Pietrus, who has missed the last nine games, said he'll see how his leg responds today before making a final call on his availability against the Kings tonight.

"It's my hamstring's decision, because I went through a lot today and it's going to be sore," Pietrus said after his first full-contact workout in more than two weeks. "Hopefully, (today) is going to be better. I'm very athletic, so it'll take away a little bit of my athleticism, but I'm trying to get through it as best I can."

Briefly: Once again, Mullin and Nelson were not among those named to the latest Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame class. Both previous finalists also downplayed their respective snubs. "All I've received from basketball is more than I could've ever imagined," Mullin said. "To be considered, to me, that in itself is a miracle, and everything else is gravy.

[h3]Warriors tonight[/h3]
Who: Kings (36-41) vs. Warriors (46-31)

Where: Oracle Arena

When: 7:30 p.m.

TV/Radio: CSNBA/1050

Playoff chase

A look at the three teams vying for the final two playoff spots in the Western Conference:
[table][tr][td]Team[/td] [td]Rec.[/td] [td]GB*[/td] [td]Today[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Mavericks[/td] [td]48-29[/td] [td]6 1/2[/td] [td]Vs. Sonics[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nuggets[/td] [td]46-31[/td] [td]8 1/2[/td] [td]At Clippers[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Warriors[/td] [td]46-31[/td] [td]8 1/2[/td] [td]Vs. Kings[/td] [/tr][/table]
* - Games behind conference leader

E-mail Janny Hu at [email protected].

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/08/SP5J1019GQ.DTL

This article appeared on page C - 2 of the San Francisco Chronicle

the oracle crowd better have their we believe faces on these next three games, especially the denver game.

Originally Posted by acidicality

sig check
pimp.gif

ahahahah was that you?
there was this asian kid CSNBA showed at the end of the game and he had a sign that said "WE BELIEVE PLAYOFF"

Back
Top Bottom