Official Warriors Season Thread

[h1]Nelson backs off on Ellis[/h1] [h2]Coach to let guard do his thing - score big points[/h2]

Janny Hu, Chronicle Staff Writer

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

(11-27) 21:17 PST Oakland -- So much for Don Nelson being stubborn and unyielding in his quest tomake Monta Ellis a point guard. After watching the 22-year-old match his career high in points in consecutive games, Nelson is unclenching his ironfist.

"He's a scorer and I have to understand that," the Warriors' coach said after Tuesday's lightpractice. "I'm not going to make him John Stockton or something like that. He has to be who he is, and we want to always enhance his skill, which isthe jump shot, quickness and rest of it."

Ellis has had his full repertoire on display the last two games, dropping 31 points against both the Sixers and Sunsin a three-night span. His blistering of Phoenix has become a regular event, and Monday's point-per-minute outing included 15 straight Warriors points inthe fourth quarter.

Most of those came on pull-up jumpers over Steve Nash and Shawn Marion, and each successive swish further buried thememories of his slow-starting season.

"When you have 30 back-to-back, you know that you're rolling," forward Al Harrington said. "He hasa confidence and a nice swagger going, and hopefully, he can keep it going."

Ellis, now the Warriors' third-leading scorer at 15.8 points per game, credits his turnaround to slowing things.He admittedly forced shots early in the season, but he is more apt these days to take what the defense gives him. On Monday, that meant running thescreen-and-roll with Baron Davis again and again.

"Letting the game come at me," Ellis said, "more so than me trying to go out and getit."

Tonight's game brings Ellis face-to-face with Kings guard Kevin Martin, whom Ellis edged for the NBA's MostImproved Player award last season. Martin is having an outstanding start to 2007-08, averaging a career-best 24.1 points per game after signing a five-year,$55 million contract extension in the offseason.

Ellis is hoping his big payday will come this summer. He will be a restricted free agent at season's end, andbecause the Warriors own his "Bird rights," they have the ability to match any offer Ellis receives without regard to their salary cap.

"Obviously, he's on display at all times," Harrington said. "But the more he plays like that, themore we're going to win."

And the more Nelson will be willing to let Ellis do his thing. Ellis was essentially demoted to being theWarriors' backup point guard when Nelson penciled in rookie Marco Belinelli as Jason Richardson's replacement before training camp.

When Belinelli faltered early, Kelenna Azubuike won the starting shooting-guard spot. And with the Warriors'other ballhandlers - Stephen Jackson, Matt Barnes and Troy Hudson - all missing time for various reasons, Ellis had no choice but to remain Davis'backup.

His turnover-filled exhibition showings didn't help, and neither did his slow start to the regular season. Ellisfound his shooting touch during the Warriors' recently completed East Coast road trip, and the return of Jackson and Barnes has allowed Ellis to playalongside and feed off Davis.

Ellis made his fourth start of the season against the Suns, and more could be on the way.

"I'm happy with him," Nelson said. "He's got the perfect running mate in Baron. If he'sgoing to be a combo guard, then he needs to have a strong guy who can handle and run the team alongside of him.

"It's the perfect team, really, for him."

Briefly: Barnes' mother, Ann, succumbed to her fight with cancer early Tuesday morning. TheSacramento native, who returned home following his stirring performance against the Suns, also sprained his left ankle late in the game to further cloud hisstatus for tonight. Said Davis: "He's a tough dude. He's like the soul of our team. He's the hunger, the grit, dude who makes usfearless." ... Jackson (sprained big toe), Davis and Azubuike also were hobbling in the postgame locker room, but Davis and Harrington believed the nickswere minor. "You know how they do it," Harrington joked. "It's for show so they look like the tough guys during the game - they played withthis and that and look what they did." ... Backup point guard Troy Hudson (sore hip/groin) also could be available after scrimmaging for the first timeTuesday.

[table][tr][td]
black.gif

[/td] [td] [table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]

[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[table][tr][td][/td] [td]
What's this?
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]

[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[table][tr][td]An unlikely captain, Jackson is Golden State's heart[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Updated 17h 32m ago | Comments1 | Recommend1[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]
[table][tr][td]
clear.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
clear.gif
[/td] [td] [table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
clear.gif
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
By Roscoe Nance, USA TODAY

Stephen Jackson has been an unlikely Prince Charming for the Golden State Warriors, the Cinderella story of last season's NBA playoffs when they upset the Dallas Mavericks in the first round.

The Warriors began this season 1-6 while Jackson was serving a seven-game, league-imposed suspension. They are 5-1 since his return, and Jackson has averaged 22.2 points in the six games. "Having him back means firepower," guard Baron Davis says. "He's our fire, our emotion. He gets everybody pumped up. He's our leader when it comes to getting guys ready and playing."

The league suspended Jackson for his involvement in a preseason gun incident outside a nightclub in Indianapolis last year while he was with the Indiana Pacers. He returned to the lineup as the Warriors began a five-game Eastern Conference road trip.

With their emotional leader back, they were 4-1 - their first winning record on a five-game road trip since the 1980-81 season.

"I don't think I'm a savior, but I know I can help," the 6-8 swingman says of his impact on the Warriors. "The only way we were able to have success (last season) is we did it as a team. A lot of teams have certain stars.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: Jackson | Baron Davis | NBA playoffs | Stephen Jackson | Prince Charming

"We have our big star in Baron. But for us to have success, and we want to have a better year than last year, we have to continue to play as a team because we have a lot of guys who can score, a lot of guys who can do different things, and we need to take advantage of that every night."

Jackson is high on the list of Warriors who can do different things, especially defensively. He is effective defending point guards and power forwards, as well as wing men.

"Having him back gives us an absolute turnaround defensively," assistant coach Larry Riley says. "There's so much talking that comes out of him. He puts people in the right position defensively, and he can guard almost anybody. He stabilizes our defense."

Coach Don Nelson, seeking to take advantage of Jackson's leadership qualities this season, has made him team captain.

The move caught Jackson by surprise, but it's a role he relishes.

"I was the leader of the team anyway because I was always there for guys, whether it was on the court or off the court," he says.

"I was ecstatic about it. It was like making the All-Star team or winning the championship. Some guys are the stars of the team that don't get the chance to be captain."

Davis says Jackson should be captain because "he just cares" and "will do anything for his teammates."

Many fans might have difficulty picturing Jackson as a team captain. They likely see him as the player who was involved in the brawl at Auburn Hills, Mich., three years ago.

Jackson says those are the fans who are waiting and watching for him to slip up.

"It feels good that I have a lot of attention on me," he says. "It's going to be even better that everybody is watching and they're not going to get a reaction. They're just going to see me play basketball and help my team win games.

"I approached this season with a different attitude."

Jackson has made several community appearances in Oakland and the Bay Area in hopes that fans will see him in a different light.

"The guy on the court is definitely a guy who goes 110%, is focused on winning and hates losing," Jackson says. "I play with such a passion that people see me as being a jerk or somebody who's a thug. That's totally not me."
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Nelson backs off on Ellis
Coach to let guard do his thing - score big points

Janny Hu, Chronicle Staff Writer

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

(11-27) 21:17 PST Oakland -- So much for Don Nelson being stubborn and unyielding in his quest to make Monta Ellis a point guard. After watching the22-year-old match his career high in points in consecutive games, Nelson is unclenching his iron fist.

"He's a scorer and I have to understand that," the Warriors' coach said after Tuesday's light practice. "I'm not going to makehim John Stockton or something like that. He has to be who he is, and we want to always enhance his skill, which is the jump shot, quickness and rest ofit."

Ellis has had his full repertoire on display the last two games, dropping 31 points against both the Sixers and Suns in a three-night span. His blistering ofPhoenix has become a regular event, and Monday's point-per-minute outing included 15 straight Warriors points in the fourth quarter.

Most of those came on pull-up jumpers over Steve Nash and Shawn Marion, and each successive swish further buried the memories of his slow-starting season.

"When you have 30 back-to-back, you know that you're rolling," forward Al Harrington said. "He has a confidence and a nice swagger going,and hopefully, he can keep it going."

Ellis, now the Warriors' third-leading scorer at 15.8 points per game, credits his turnaround to slowing things. He admittedly forced shots early in theseason, but he is more apt these days to take what the defense gives him. On Monday, that meant running the screen-and-roll with Baron Davis again and again.

"Letting the game come at me," Ellis said, "more so than me trying to go out and get it."

Tonight's game brings Ellis face-to-face with Kings guard Kevin Martin, whom Ellis edged for the NBA's Most Improved Player award last season. Martinis having an outstanding start to 2007-08, averaging a career-best 24.1 points per game after signing a five-year, $55 million contract extension in theoffseason.

Ellis is hoping his big payday will come this summer. He will be a restricted free agent at season's end, and because the Warriors own his "Birdrights," they have the ability to match any offer Ellis receives without regard to their salary cap.

"Obviously, he's on display at all times," Harrington said. "But the more he plays like that, the more we're going to win."

And the more Nelson will be willing to let Ellis do his thing. Ellis was essentially demoted to being the Warriors' backup point guard when Nelson penciledin rookie Marco Belinelli as Jason Richardson's replacement before training camp.

When Belinelli faltered early, Kelenna Azubuike won the starting shooting-guard spot. And with the Warriors' other ballhandlers - Stephen Jackson, MattBarnes and Troy Hudson - all missing time for various reasons, Ellis had no choice but to remain Davis' backup.

His turnover-filled exhibition showings didn't help, and neither did his slow start to the regular season. Ellis found his shooting touch during theWarriors' recently completed East Coast road trip, and the return of Jackson and Barnes has allowed Ellis to play alongside and feed off Davis.

Ellis made his fourth start of the season against the Suns, and more could be on the way.

"I'm happy with him," Nelson said. "He's got the perfect running mate in Baron. If he's going to be a combo guard, then he needs tohave a strong guy who can handle and run the team alongside of him.

"It's the perfect team, really, for him."

Briefly: Barnes' mother, Ann, succumbed to her fight with cancer early Tuesday morning. The Sacramento native, who returned home following his stirringperformance against the Suns, also sprained his left ankle late in the game to further cloud his status for tonight. Said Davis: "He's a tough dude.He's like the soul of our team. He's the hunger, the grit, dude who makes us fearless." ... Jackson (sprained big toe), Davis and Azubuike alsowere hobbling in the postgame locker room, but Davis and Harrington believed the nicks were minor. "You know how they do it," Harrington joked."It's for show so they look like the tough guys during the game - they played with this and that and look what they did." ... Backup point guardTroy Hudson (sore hip/groin) also could be available after scrimmaging for the first time Tuesday.

Good game good game good game.

Sjax coming through with the vital 3s.

Great crunch time defense/offense, but a serious SMH to all the 3s taken after missing 40,000.

Monta Ellis giving the Warriors a little boost to get the momentum back on our side.

Matt Barnes had an off night, but hope he can get better physically and mentally.

sick.gif
@ thereferees...looking like a bunch of TIM DONAGHYs out there.

CONGRATULATION GUYS, WE'RE AT 500!

*EDIT: LIVEMYREALITY: Haha, I know Bevetta is cool and all, but you have got to admit the foul calling was gettingridiculous.

^Hey man, no one makes fun of **** Bavetta. He's the best Ref in the league. It was that Rookie ref who called a foul on Stack Jack for that supposedforearm check to Artest. Mikki Moore is joke. Getting all angry...then fouling out. Haha.

Great win. We are winning on the road.
grin.gif
Next we got the Rockets tomorrow.Tough game.

Great to be back at .500. I hope we can finish this Nov > .500 with a win tomorrow night.

Let's keep those wins comin'.
pimp.gif

koolaid.jpg

Hopefully we can run the Rockets out of the gym tomorrow. Last year, Harrington did a superb job on fronting Yao. C'mon Warriors!

I wasn't able to watch the game, but I'm glad to see that the Warriors won.
pimp.gif

By reading the posts, I guess the refs were doing a bad job tonight, lol. At least we came out with a W. A division win too.

Let's keep up this high level of play! Go Warriors!

beans was spectacular. good to see that he plays just hard coming off the bench, it's a breath of fresh air. i wonder who will start tmr...hmmm.

Tracy who? Just kidding.

Warriors' basketball couldnt be stopped for the last few games.

Man, great win, feels great to have a winning record whether it be tonight only or the rest of the season.

Matt Barnes played very well. Great assists, shots, and rebounds...this guy was everywhere.

Anthony (Jrichformvp), you got a HBD win haha, hope you had a good one.

Let the wins keep rolling our way! Golden State Warriors!

Originally Posted by 27th4theHood

u bastards are over .500 and im pretty sure we wont be for the rest of the year. yes im a bit salty

laugh.gif
i'd be salty too if rival team went 0-6 and then got over .500this quickly. great win tonight.

Back
Top Bottom