Official Warriors Season Thread

Yeah, I feel you on that, FRANCHISE 55. Hopefully their shots will sink.

On another note, Croshere is someone I like. I look forward to seeing more of him when players need less minutes.

Also, a little over 1.5 hours 'til tip-off.
pimp.gif

Warriors discover virtue of rebounds

• With guards improved play, Golden State picks up the pace on the boards

By Geoff Lepper
STAFF WRITER

Article Launched: 12/09/2007 02:59:07 AM PST

OAKLAND -- Detractors of the Warriors love to point out that they can put up all the gaudy offensive stats they wants, but as they're currently constructed, they'll never be a good rebounding team.
Or will they? In the Warriors' past five games, they've more than held their own when it comes to rebounding. Included in that stretch are a victory on the glass against Yao Ming and the Houston Rockets, and a dead heat with Dwight Howard -- the NBA's leading individual rebounder -- and his Orlando Magic.

Center Andris Biedrins has been the constant, grabbing 58 boards during that time to push his season average to 10.2 per game, good for 14th in the NBA rankings.

What's surprising is the identity of some of Golden State's No. 2 men, rebounding-wise: guards Monta Ellis and Baron Davis and swingman Kelenna Azubuike have all taken turns as Biedrins' primary support. This is big news because it's what Nelson and the Warriors coaching staff has been preaching for 101 regular-season games -- that if Golden State's perimeter-based attack is going to work, those same players have to be the ones wresting away boards from bigger opponents.

Azubuike added seven boards Friday against Miami, four in the fourth quarter when Golden State wiped out an 11-point deficit en route to its biggest comeback win in more than two years. Davis had eight in Seattle last weekend and might have gone for double-figures if it hadn't been such a blowout victory.

But the biggest improvement has come from Ellis, who tied his career-high with 10 boards against Houston on Nov. 29, then broke that mark two games later against Milwaukee with an even dozen.

"I never thought I'd see 10" rebounds in a game from Ellis, Nelson said. "He's got a great hop, and he pursues balls, but to get 10 twice, I didn't think that I'd see that. That really helps out."

Ellis said he's not doing anything differently to get those boards, but he's averaging 7.4 over the last five games after grabbing 2.7 in the 14 games before that.

"The last couple of games, they've had a lot of guys that can rebound that are bigger than us, and I think if me and Baron sneak in and get a couple of rebounds, we have a better chance of winning," Ellis said. "We all just come and crash the boards. If (Biedrins) blocks off (the opposing center) for a good rebound, there's always the next guy to get it."

But that's always been true. So why is the message hitting home now, after Nelson has harped on it for more than 100 regular season games since returning to the Warriors' bench? "He's probably just grown into doing it," assistant coach Keith Smart said of Ellis. "He's older know, another year under his belt. He can probably see more things that emphasize a chance to win more, because of his maturity. He can see that those long rebounds you don't get become open 3s (for the other team)."

Or, even better, they could become open 3s for the Warriors. After all, a long defensive rebound gives your club a better chance of getting an odd-man break, and that's easy money for a Nelson club.

"If we just chase them down, then we can run them back," Ellis said. "That's why we're back playing Warriors basketball, getting the ball off the glass and pushing it back downcourt."

Notes: After the Warriors converted 88.2 percent of their free throws in the last two games while shooting coach Sidney Moncrief looked on from the sidelines, Nelson announced Saturday that Moncrief is being promoted from part-time staff member to full-time. "There's no question we need him here," Nelson said. "Just look at the percentages when he was around and then when he was gone. That consistent voice and the things that he does, the charts and everything else that he's responsible for, nobody else can do that. That's a one-man operation." ... Moncrief won't quite be full-time -- with his family staying in Dallas, he has a few unavoidable scheduling conflicts -- but will be at all but a handful of games and practices. "It was in the best interests of everyone," Moncrief said. "I credit Nellie with giving me the opportunity to spend the time I need to spend with the guys." ... Forward Matt Barnes sustained a sprained ring finger on his left hand fighting for a rebound with Miami forward Udonis Haslem on Friday, but still expects to play tonight despite the injury, which is worse than the dislocated and sprained finger he suffered on his shooting hard earlier this season.

Yo thanks Andrew630, it'll definitely be icing on the cake if the Warriors pull off the W.

We're doing a great job containing Kobe so far, but we gotta get a spark on our offense.

Playing a little sloppy @ the end of 2nd and beginning of the 3rd. Get our acts together and we'll be fine.

Let's go Golden State Warriors!

Tonight was sloppy, I'll agree. Tonight just wasn't our night. We really could have pulled together and get something from Staples, but it's allgood. Now all we can do is pack it in for the Spurs.

Lakers owned us with Bynum early and they never really slowed down. Our offense was sporadic. We were good, then bad, then good, then it got real ugly quick.We didn't get Harrington, Biedrins, or anybody really going on the inside.

I hope we get back in the win column soon but with San Antonio up next tomorrow... it looks kinda grim.

... but I'm still hoping for a win and think we can get it if we play our game.

Originally Posted by Paul Is 0n NT

Man, I hate Staples with a passion!

Too bad we couldn't get a W on your birthday Luong1209.
frown.gif

Yea seriously Paul, I hella wanted that win today.
Just wish the Warriors played smarterbasketball, they really didnt seem like themselves. Unfortunately we can't win them all.

Well, they'll be at the Oracle on friday, so hopefully they'll avenge me haha.
Anyway, let's just hope for the best on Tuesday, tough opponents. Competition brings out the best in us.

EDIT: THOSE OF YOU IN FANTASY BASKETBALL LEAGUE, I'M THINKING OF TRADING

1) BEN GORDON
2) DEVIN HARRIS
3) CUTTINO MOBLEY
4) DANIEL GIBSON

Please offer with reasonable trades, Andrew630, that last trade was very close to happening haha.
I'll trade 2 (or more) for 1 if it's a good one, but if I deny, hope you guys wont feel offended
frown.gif

Theres a possibility of a 3 game losing streak with SA and LA our next 2 games.
ohwell.gif

You guys played a great game. With all the second chance points you had I am very surprised you guys didn't win. Your shots didn't fall and sometimesthat can happen with the style of offense you guys play. It will be hard for us to win in gs with a back to back with the spurs.

Anyone know where the best place to find cheap authentic jerseys online? Looking for a Baron away jersey.
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Anyone know where the best place to find cheap authentic jerseys online? Looking for a Baron away jersey.
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

I don't really think there is a cheap place. If there is, let me know. Some appear on eBay every once in a while so I guess check there.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

I doubt you find one for under retail. Sorry.

Anyway, tomorrow against the Spurs will be very tough. Hopefully we keep close to the 4th and then we pounce on them and win.
pimp.gif
ohwell.gif

warriors auths are hard to come by now..jrich's weren't hard to find back then but of course he's gone now. u have to pay at least retail, prob thewarriors store or nba.com. ebay has nothin from what i've seen as well

Originally Posted by vietsta4o8

booo!! go cop a dampier jersey instead
Seriously where can i find one of those? or even a dunleavy or foyle or mookie blaylock jersey?
besides ebay of course

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Originally Posted by vietsta4o8

booo!! go cop a dampier jersey instead
Seriously where can i find one of those? or even a dunleavy or foyle or mookie blaylock jersey?
besides ebay of course

sick.gif
at the thought of someone wanting a Dunleavy Warrior jersey.

I bought a Dunleavy jersey when he was a rookie, although it was just a replica, I'm still ashamed.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom