Official Workout Thread - Questions, Answers, Input, Routines, etc. Come In

The best way to keep pushing yourself is to not really give yourself an option to not work out, just keep reminding yourself all day that it you have to do it, sort of like another job, then it will eventually become a routine and then you wont really have to push yourself, it will just be a part of your daily routine.
This is great advice and something I turned to when I got out of college and started working out at 6am every day before work. I hated getting upbut I didn't give myself a choice. I treated it like a job and still do to this day, because the end results are worth it.

I also recommend hanging around with like-minded people. You don't need to do your workouts with a partner every day but it often helps making friends inand outside the gym of people with similar interests. Just comparing routines, talking about your goals, and even saying "See you tmrw" to each otherhelps with sticking to your routine. I workout by myself every day but I'm friendly with quite a few people in my gym who I see every day in there, talk toon a regular basis and trade info with, etc. A few of us are talking of doing a triathalon this summer even.

Another thing is motivation. I have a ton of things I think about before I work out and it helps a ton. Whether it's long-term health benefits, girls,athletes, etc. Find a way to get your fix, trust me it helps...

Originally Posted by JDB1523

- For those of you who work out 5-7 times a week, how do you find the time (especially if you work) and how do you push yourself?
- Do squats really help your vertical that much? If I included that in my routine and worked out 3-4 times a week for the rest of the off season, about how much will I increase my vertical?
- Is it bad to do upper and lower body in the same day? (even if you do a long workout).
- What machines/exercises will stunt your growth?
When I worked this summer (I'm back in school for the semester), I was waking up anywhere from 5-6:30, worked out for awhile, then went to work.
Squats, running, AND stretching will help your vertical, but I wouldn't recommend heavy squats.
No. You can absolutely do upper and lower body in the same day. I do some form of legs everyday, plus cardio on top of that.
Machines/exercises won't really stunt your growth, but lifting too often at an early age can (and mostly those are extreme cases). And without stretching you'll lose a lot of flexibility.
You don't need creatine at 16 years old. Many people will tell you you don't need it at all, actually.

Thanks a lot.

and thanks RyGuy45 for your advice as well.

my routine is fairly simple because i just started.

I begin with a 10 - 15 minute run on the treadmill. After that I start with the workout. Here are my days of the week breakdown:

Monday

Chest
Flat bench press: 3 to 4 sets 10 reps
incline dumbell press: 4 sets 10 reps
decline dumbell press: 4 sets 10 reps
Dips: 4 sets 10 reps
sometimes i do cable crossovers too, 4 sets, 10 reps

Tricep
Close grip bench press: 3 sets 10 reps
Tricep pulldowns: 4 sets 10 reps
Tricep extensions: 4 sets 10 reps

Tuesday

Legs
Squats: 4 sets 10 reps (i seriously LOVE this excercise)
Leg presses: 4 sets 10 reps
Calf raises: 4 sets 25 reps (w/ weights)
Leg exensions: 4 sets 10 reps
leg curls: 4 sets 10 reps

Wednesday

REST

Thursday

Shoulders

Dumbell shoulder press:4 sets 10 reps
Upright rows: 4 sets 10 reps
Rear lateral raises: 4 sets 10 reps

Friday

Back

Wide grip chinups: 3 sets 10 reps and then as much as you can if you cant do 10
Seated lat rows: 4 sets 10 reps
Deadlifts: 4 sets 10 reps
Hyperextensions: 4 sets 10 reps

Biceps

Barbell curls: 3 sets 10 reps
concentration curls: 3 sets 10 reps
seated preacher curls: 3 sets 10 reps

and thats what i do.

Questions about Cardio: 1) Which is more effective, elliiptical or treadmill? Is there a significant difference? Because to me, it feels like on the treadmillI put in a lot more work in the same amt. of time, but recently my left ankle has gotten stiff during the middle of my workout. I may have more later but thiswas the main one I had

Also this year I've had a lot of success in getting my $%* to go to the gym....mainly because I thought less about it. sometimes i'm just chillin in mydorm room doing homework, and i think about if i should go to the gym...and sometimes i tell myself "i'll go at 3" then it turns to"i'll go at 4"...then "i'll just go tomorrow" and i end up not going-so i just put on my gym shorts and go without thinking aboutit.

Originally Posted by armanzaballa

- For those of you who work out 5-7 times a week, how do you find the time (especially if you work) and how do you push yourself?
- Do squats really help your vertical that much? If I included that in my routine and worked out 3-4 times a week for the rest of the off season, about how much will I increase my vertical?
- Is it bad to do upper and lower body in the same day? (even if you do a long workout).
When I worked this summer (I'm back in school for the semester), I was waking up anywhere from 5-6:30, worked out for awhile, then went to work.
Squats, running, AND stretching will help your vertical, but I wouldn't recommend heavy squats.
No. You can absolutely do upper and lower body in the same day. I do some form of legs everyday, plus cardio on top of that.
Machines/exercises won't really stunt your growth, but lifting too often at an early age can (and mostly those are extreme cases). And without stretching you'll lose a lot of flexibility.
You don't need creatine at 16 years old. Many people will tell you you don't need it at all, actually.

Thanks a lot.

If you want to increase your vertical, I suggest that you squat heavy and lift heavy on your legs. A lot of the power that you need to jump high comesfrom your quad, hamstrings, butt and calves. Also do some plyometric training (2-3 times a week) where you are doing different types of jumps such as boxjumps.

The whole point is to develop fast twitch muscles which will make you more powerful, explosive and quicker. Heavy compound lifts such as squats andplyometric exercises will develop fast twitch muscles and make you a better all around athlete.
Go to http://www.defrancostraining.com/ for more sports specific training and read his articles and watch his youtube videos. He trains mostlybasketball and football players.

Weight training will not stunt your growth, there isn't much evidence to suggest that it does.

Finding time to work out is pretty easy. Just think about all the time each of us wastes on the internet, watching tv, playing video games etc. Everyoneshould be able to allocate atleast 1 hour a day to exercise.

Also, I dont recommend lifting weights for more than 1 hour per day. A lot of research indicates that very long weight training sessions can becounter-productive and lead to overtraining.

Originally Posted by acidicality

Questions about Cardio: 1) Which is more effective, elliiptical or treadmill? Is there a significant difference? Because to me, it feels like on the treadmill I put in a lot more work in the same amt. of time, but recently my left ankle has gotten stiff during the middle of my workout. I may have more later but this was the main one I had

Also this year I've had a lot of success in getting my $%* to go to the gym....mainly because I thought less about it. sometimes i'm just chillin in my dorm room doing homework, and i think about if i should go to the gym...and sometimes i tell myself "i'll go at 3" then it turns to "i'll go at 4"...then "i'll just go tomorrow" and i end up not going-so i just put on my gym shorts and go without thinking about it.

Running is more effective because you are basically doing all the work with your bodyweight. Running burns more calories than an elliptical. However,many people (including myself) like the elliptical because it protects your joints and you dont feel pain in your muscles, shins, hips, etc. like you would ifyou run a lot of mileage.

Getting to the gym can be hard but try to make it as enjoyable as possible. Do exercises that you like and try to motivate yourself any way you can.

Originally Posted by jimmy digital

my routine is fairly simple because i just started.

I begin with a 10 - 15 minute run on the treadmill. After that I start with the workout. Here are my days of the week breakdown:

Monday

Chest
Flat bench press: 3 to 4 sets 10 reps
incline dumbell press: 4 sets 10 reps
decline dumbell press: 4 sets 10 reps
Dips: 4 sets 10 reps
sometimes i do cable crossovers too, 4 sets, 10 reps

Tricep
Close grip bench press: 3 sets 10 reps
Tricep pulldowns: 4 sets 10 reps
Tricep extensions: 4 sets 10 reps

Tuesday

Legs
Squats: 4 sets 10 reps (i seriously LOVE this excercise)
Leg presses: 4 sets 10 reps
Calf raises: 4 sets 25 reps (w/ weights)
Leg exensions: 4 sets 10 reps
leg curls: 4 sets 10 reps

Wednesday

REST

Thursday

Shoulders

Dumbell shoulder press:4 sets 10 reps
Upright rows: 4 sets 10 reps
Rear lateral raises: 4 sets 10 reps

Friday

Back

Wide grip chinups: 3 sets 10 reps and then as much as you can if you cant do 10
Seated lat rows: 4 sets 10 reps
Deadlifts: 4 sets 10 reps
Hyperextensions: 4 sets 10 reps

Biceps

Barbell curls: 3 sets 10 reps
concentration curls: 3 sets 10 reps
seated preacher curls: 3 sets 10 reps

and thats what i do.

for those of you guys that work out like this...

I don't understand what the point of doing a set amount of reps does for you...

normally i just do my reps until i feel the burning sensation, and then try and decrease the weight right away and do a few more...(that way I wont have badform and at the same time, it pushes me to the max)

whats the point of saying "im going to do 10 reps of curls"...
although it may work you out some, it definitely doesn't push you to yourfull potential...

and heavy weight is something that will injure your tendons and joints in the long run...so I don't reccomend it

I'm a firm believer in Dynamic Stretching before working out, playing ball, etc....save the static for the end....

here are some sample movements...

Dynamic

normally i just do my reps until i feel the burning sensation, and then try and decrease the weight right away and do a few more...(that way I wont have bad form and at the same time, it pushes me to the max)

although it may work you out some, it definitely doesn't push you to your full potential...

and heavy weight is something that will injure your tendons and joints in the long run...so I don't reccomend it

wait, so you workout till failure everytime you lift?
laugh.gif

I dont have time to post specific exercises...but if you wanna improve ur vertical...just look up "Plyometrics"

^chances are if ur doin more than 10 reps, ur prolly workin on endurance mostly, not strength

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Questions about Cardio: 1) Which is more effective, elliiptical or treadmill? Is there a significant difference? Because to me, it feels like on the treadmill I put in a lot more work in the same amt. of time, but recently my left ankle has gotten stiff during the middle of my workout. I may have more later but this was the main one I had

Also this year I've had a lot of success in getting my $%* to go to the gym....mainly because I thought less about it. sometimes i'm just chillin in my dorm room doing homework, and i think about if i should go to the gym...and sometimes i tell myself "i'll go at 3" then it turns to "i'll go at 4"...then "i'll just go tomorrow" and i end up not going-so i just put on my gym shorts and go without thinking about it.

Running is more effective because you are basically doing all the work with your bodyweight. Running burns more calories than an elliptical. However, many people (including myself) like the elliptical because it protects your joints and you dont feel pain in your muscles, shins, hips, etc. like you would if you run a lot of mileage.

Getting to the gym can be hard but try to make it as enjoyable as possible. Do exercises that you like and try to motivate yourself any way you can.

to be honest with you guys, the treadmill is a piece of garbage...

the best way to run is to do it outdoors uphill...or actually running on hills...

Thanks a lot.

If you want to increase your vertical, I suggest that you squat heavy and lift heavy on your legs. A lot of the power that you need to jump high comes from your quad, hamstrings, butt and calves. Also do some plyometric training (2-3 times a week) where you are doing different types of jumps such as box jumps.

The whole point is to develop fast twitch muscles which will make you more powerful, explosive and quicker. Heavy compound lifts such as squats and plyometric exercises will develop fast twitch muscles and make you a better all around athlete.
Go to http://www.defrancostraining.com/ for more sports specific training and read his articles and watch his youtube videos. He trains mostly basketball and football players.

Weight training will not stunt your growth, there isn't much evidence to suggest that it does.

Finding time to work out is pretty easy. Just think about all the time each of us wastes on the internet, watching tv, playing video games etc. Everyone should be able to allocate atleast 1 hour a day to exercise.

Also, I dont recommend lifting weights for more than 1 hour per day. A lot of research indicates that very long weight training sessions can be counter-productive and lead to overtraining.
You would recommend heavy squatting over low weight/high rep? I just think the lower weight and more reps allows better training forexplosiveness, especially if he's just getting started. I could be wrong though, I'm just interested in your post.
smile.gif

Low rep, heavy weights will develop fast twitch fibres.

High reps, low weights will not.

A lot of high performance competitive athletes perform compounds lifts of low reps because it develops strength and explosiveness. Lifting low weights manytimes will not make you any stronger.

I agree with I AM PELE about the treadmill, I was actually going to write that actual running > treadmill running but I assumed that since its winter timemost dudes can only perform cardio indoors.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

I'm a firm believer in Dynamic Stretching before working out, playing ball, etc....save the static for the end....

Dynamic

normally i just do my reps until i feel the burning sensation, and then try and decrease the weight right away and do a few more...(that way I wont have bad form and at the same time, it pushes me to the max)

although it may work you out some, it definitely doesn't push you to your full potential...

laugh.gif

Are you not supposed to????

I agree with I AM PELE about the treadmill, I was actually going to write that actual running > treadmill running but I assumed that since its winter time most dudes can only perform cardio indoors.

It is far too cold in State College right now to be running outside, so I would have to agree with this statement. I just laugh at themoron's running while I'm on my way to class and it's about 15 degrees outside.

also before anyone asks in this thread what's the best music to lift to, it officially is Bury Your Dead's Beauty and the Breakdown album.

^I workout/lift to techno and trance. Puts you on a whole 'nother level.

Edit: Tevez that makes plenty of sense. I guess I was thinking along the lines of plyometrics and not really using any weight earlier.

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Dynamic

laugh.gif

Are you not supposed to????

I've always had a set number of reps per set. I mean, I couldn't go 15 reps on the bench on the 1st set, be killed by the 2nd and only go for 7,and on the 3rd only put it up 4 times. It don't make much sense to me.

A lot of high performance competitive athletes perform compounds lifts of low reps because it develops strength and explosiveness. Lifting low weights many times will not make you any stronger.

I agree with I AM PELE about the treadmill, I was actually going to write that actual running > treadmill running but I assumed that since its winter time most dudes can only perform cardio indoors.

Carlos Tevez, I learned something new. Never have I heard of twitches or fibres or any of that. Thanks for theinput.

So exercises such as leg extensions, leg curls, squats, etc. is what you reccomend right? And also, what's good with pylometric training? Can I do this onmy own? How do I get started?

IM LIKE PELE, I agree with you to a certain extent. Running on the treadmill definitley is NOT garbage. I don't doit right now because of basektball but when the season finishes, I sure as hell will be on that treadmill. If it had no purpose, nobody would use it. However,you could be right that outdoor running is better for endurance/stamina. but the tred is also a good way to get in shape.

DoubleJs, I always wondered the same thing. Before, I use to do a certain amount of reps in each set. I wouldn'tpush my self until I can't lift the weight anymore. But when I set a goal for how many reps, it would always be one that pushes me. But lately, I'vebeen working out with IM LIKE PELE, and he tells me to push my self as much as I can, and when I absolutley can't do anymore.... do 3 more reps
laugh.gif

Does anybody else have input on this? Do you say you are going to do 10 or 15 reps before you start the exercise or do you just do as many reps as you can ineach set?

I have a set amount of reps that I do...

if you try to just do as many as you can every time you'll be worn out real early in your work out and you wont be able to do as much you could in otherroutines.

Originally Posted by armanzaballa

A lot of high performance competitive athletes perform compounds lifts of low reps because it develops strength and explosiveness. Lifting low weights many times will not make you any stronger.

Carlos Tevez, I learned something new. Never have I heard of twitches or fibres or any of that. Thanks for the input.

So exercises such as leg extensions, leg curls, squats, etc. is what you reccomend right? And also, what's good with pylometric training? Can I do this on my own? How do I get started?

IM LIKE PELE, I agree with you to a certain extent. Running on the treadmill definitley is NOT garbage. I don't do it right now because of basektball but when the season finishes, I sure as hell will be on that treadmill. If it had no purpose, nobody would use it. However, you could be right that outdoor running is better for endurance/stamina. but the tred is also a good way to get in shape.

DoubleJs, I always wondered the same thing. Before, I use to do a certain amount of reps in each set. I wouldn't push my self until I can't lift the weight anymore. But when I set a goal for how many reps, it would always be one that pushes me. But lately, I've been working out with IM LIKE PELE, and he tells me to push my self as much as I can, and when I absolutley can't do anymore.... do 3 more reps
laugh.gif

Does anybody else have input on this? Do you say you are going to do 10 or 15 reps before you start the exercise or do you just do as many reps as you can in each set?

Most people will tell you that the two most important leg workouts are squats and deadlifts. They are difficult to perform at first so I recommend you uselighter weights until your form is perfect. Maybe you could watch other people at the gym or ask a personal trainer to help you with your form. I dontrecommend leg extensions, they might be damaging to your knees.

Since your on the basketball team, maybe you could ask team mates or your coach about pylometrics. I dont know too much about them since I dont playbasketball. There are a lot of people on here who do pylometric training so maybe they could help you. It's basically just jumping, the more you dojumping exercises, eventually you'll jump higher. If you can add 1-2 inches to your leaping ability every month, it'll add up in the long run.
Asfor the argument about reps, it all comes down to preference
-6 reps and below for strength training, most efficient way to get stronger in the fastest time possible
-6-10 reps means the weight is comfortable yet challenging for you. I personally hate when I can comfortably perform a lift for 6-10 reps but I cant move ontoa higher weight because its too heavy for me
laugh.gif

-10+ reps is too easy for you, most people that do high reps are trying to burn fat and better condition themselves.

I actually could run outside if I wanted to at this time of year(i'm in San Diego) but i prefer going to the gym to do everything...but i might startgetting into a routine where i jog to the gym and go back to my dorm, and do more weight training.

I actually could run outside if I wanted to at this time of year(i'm in San Diego) but i prefer going to the gym to do everything...but i might start getting into a routine where i jog to the gym and go back to my dorm, and do more weight training.

Exactly what I was thinking. I live about 2 miles from my gym. So if I run over and run back it wouldn't be a bad work out. But I know my lazy +$*could never do that consistently.

Originally Posted by srvballer

I have a set amount of reps that I do...

if you try to just do as many as you can every time you'll be worn out real early in your work out and you wont be able to do as much you could in other routines.

thats why you ur a little weakling...

get in shape man..

seems like ur still in the freshmen 15 phase

DoubleJs, I always wondered the same thing. Before, I use to do a certain amount of reps in each set. I wouldn't push my self until I can't lift the weight anymore. But when I set a goal for how many reps, it would always be one that pushes me. But lately, I've been working out with IM LIKE PELE, and he tells me to push my self as much as I can, and when I absolutley can't do anymore.... do 3 more reps .

Does anybody else have input on this? Do you say you are going to do 10 or 15 reps before you start the exercise or do you just do as many reps as you can in each set?

I chart each and everything that I do while lifting. This way I can see my progress, and also know what I need to improve on as the weeks go by. As I gotolder, my focus switched from "maxing out" or going until failure, to doing my best to complete the set number of reps that I wanted to do. It alldepends on what your goals are. Obviously, you want to push yourself in the gym, because you want to build up your muscle stamina and muscle memory. However,you can overwork yourself to the point where your muscles are exhausted. I've been lifting seriously since high school. Progress won't happenovernight. You have to remember that it's more of a marathon than a sprint. I constantly switch up my lifting routine to keep my muscles guessing. However,I am always trying to complete my reps that I set out to do. I think SOME exercises are great to do until failure, but I just wouldn't base my entireworkout in trying to do everything until I fail.

I'm coming off an ACL injury and I really want to get back the bulk I lost while I couldn't work out. Does anyone have any good tips for bulking, dietwise and supplement wise?

Back
Top Bottom