Official Workout Thread - Questions, Answers, Input, Routines, etc. Come In

basically, im 17 yrs old, 5"9 180 looking to get into decent shape, I know nothing about working out and routines and whatnot and I just need help ongetting started, I was working out heavy over the summer but didnt see any real changes except for more definition in my upper back for whatever reason. Socould someone just help me out with a routine on going to the gym 3 times a week just to help me get relatively cut?

Originally Posted by DonCoryson

Little background story, I had mono for 3 months up until June 1st of 2007, where my weight dropped to a disgusting 175 pounds. Pretty much made a lifestyle change and I became determined to get in shape. I've only been training seriously and knowledgably for the last 9 months. Ended up bulking to a high weight of 205 pounds and now I'm approx 201, also I'm 19 years old and my height is almost at 6"1'

I think I've made good progress, thanks to the knowledge and help of my twin brother who is a pretty damn good powerlifter in his own right. He squatted 570 pounds and deadlifted 580 while weighing approx 200 pounds in his only competition.
i started hitting the gym about 3 months ago and my bench has gone from like 135 to like 205 but im still kinda small.. i weigh like 175 and want toweigh about your weight 200-210... lol how can i get like you... what did you eat and what supplements did you take as well as what was your workout? sorry forall the questions but imm trying to get bigger... good job on the recovery ! thanks for the help

Guys Ive developed a meal plan

Any tips?
trying to start with small aims
THIS IS FOR A WORKOUT DAY ONLY - which means 3x a week -
still making one for a rest day

THE 10 POUND GOAL: WORKOUT DAY

Breakfast

1 Boiled eggs - 78 calories 6 gof protein

Oatmeal - 130 calories

2 Peanut butter and Jelly on Potato Bread -

800-1000 calories 28g of protein

Orange Juice - just drink it - whatever

one a day maximum

TOTAL: 1000 to 1200 calories 32 g of protein

Snack 1

Yogurt -100 calories 4 g of protein

Turkey Sandwich - 100 calories 10 g ofprotein

TOTAL: 200 CALORIES 14 G OF PROTEIN

Lunch -

Burger King Grilled Sandwich meal (with french fries soda and apple pie

1200 to 1400 calories

TOTAL - 1200-1400 Calories 43 g of protein

Pre workout snack

muffin - 400-500calories

WHEY PROTEIN - 50 G OF PROTEIN

TOTAL - 400 - 500 CALORIES

POST WORKOUT SNACK

WHEY PROTEIN 50 G OFPROTEIN

PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY ON POTATO

TOTAL - 400 CALORIES - 12g of protein

DINNER - CHICKEN AND RICE (with potatoes, veggies, etc.)

total: 800 TO 1000 CALORIES - 40 g of protein

calcium pills

fish oil gel caps

SNACK - 2 ENSURE PLUS - 700 CALORIES 26G OF PROTEIN

total: 5000 calories 266 g of protein

any modifications?

Originally Posted by bkzkurse

Any tips?

Breakfast

mad.gif
1 Boiled eggs - 78 calories 6 g of protein

Oatmeal - 130 calories

2 Peanut butter and Jelly on Potato Bread -

Orange Juice - just drink it - whatever

one a day maximum

Snack 1

Turkey Sandwich - 100 calories 10 g of protein

Lunch -

1200 to 1400 calories

Pre workout snack

muffin - 400-500 calories

WHEY PROTEIN - 50 G OF PROTEIN

POST WORKOUT SNACK

WHEY PROTEIN 50 G OF PROTEIN

PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY ON POTATO

calcium pills

fish oil gel caps

SNACK - 2 ENSURE PLUS - 700 CALORIES 26G OF PROTEIN

any modifications?

You're going to gain a lot of fat on that diet.
For breakfast, eat more eggs and oatmeal. Eat egg whites instead because it has more protein. Takeout the PB + Jelly sandwich and the orange juice.

Snack 1, substitute the yogourt for cottage cheese. 100 calories worth of cottage cheese = 15g protein

Lunch, take out the burger king. Grilled chicken sandwiches or chicken/rice. Anything high protein and complex carbs is good here.

Pre-workout, the protein shake is good, get some complex carbs in here.

Post workout, drink a protein shake with simple carbs. You can drink juice, gatorade, but preferebly dextrose with your protein shake. Never eat peanutbutter or any fats post workout.

Dinner looks good

Bedtime snack, get more protein and fats. You can eat nuts here as well as eggs, casein protein, cottage cheese etc. Dont eat carbohydrates for this meal.

I do a light workout off-and-on and I have a very hard time running due to a bad mucus build-up. I have to stop every 2-3 laps to spit because it gets so bad.Is there a way to cut back on the build up? Thanks

2 Peanut butter and Jelly on Potato Bread - 800-1000 calories 28g of protein

GOD DAMN!!! I can only imagine the amount of fat though, I think a weight gainer would be better if you want that many calories with nowhere near as much fat

-5'11
-weigh 170+

i need to lose about 35 pounds and i want a six pack, aspiring to be kind of muscular but not that big body builder type.

any type of diets & work outs i need to do?

do you guys think 2 moths is enoug hto get in shape? because a girl im seeing after a long time is coming back to town and i want to impress her? i use toworkout before but i lost intrest....im also an insomniac but hopefully i can recover

^

Cutting isn't rocket science people.

Decrease your calorie/s (slowly,500cal/week) and fat intake and do cardio. You don't need to change anything on your workouts except adding in cardiosessions (which will depend on how much you're trying to cut and how fast).

Any tips?

Breakfast

mad.gif

Oatmeal - 130 calories

2 Peanut butter and Jelly on Potato Bread - nope

Orange Juice - just drink it - whatever - drink water

one a day maximum

Snack 1

Lunch -

1200 to 1400 calories - better if you cook your own lunch, forget the soda and donate the apple pie to the nearest obese person

Pre workout snack

muffin - 400-500 calories - ?

WHEY PROTEIN - 50 G OF PROTEIN - I think you just need to sub this in with some whole wheat bread *light sandwich with some meat

POST WORKOUT SNACK

PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY ON POTATO - eat a fruit instead

calcium pills

fish oil gel caps - the usual dosage for this is 3x/day with meals

SNACK - 2 ENSURE PLUS - 700 CALORIES 26G OF PROTEIN - Don't be an old man, grab some milk from your grocery

If you're really skinny this dirty bulk is alright, but if you're looking to gain slow but leaner then I highlighted what you needed toeliminate.

Originally Posted by PREM092

-5'11
-weigh 170+

i need to lose about 35 pounds and i want a six pack, aspiring to be kind of muscular but not that big body builder type.

What is your body fat percentage? I'm guessing you'd only need to lose 10-15 pounds of fat to see your 6-pack. You'll never be able to lose35 pounds at your weight and 5'11.

If your body fat % is average you'll be around 15%.

15% of 170 pounds means that you have 145 pounds of muscle and 25 pounds of fat. If you lost 10 pounds of fat over 2 months you'd get a 6-pack.

guys Im 5'9'' - weight 140

Body fat index is very very low

Im lactose intolerant

That meal still bad? Or is it right for me?

Originally Posted by TheOtherAI9

Ok NT, help me out here:

I'm 6'0 maybe 6'1, 220 pounds. I want to shed fat, but also build muscle at the same time. I workout 4-5 days a week. I do bench press, bicep curl, squats, etc. Any help/advice?? I eat regular meals a day, a snack here and there.

Originally Posted by Gothams Terror

basically, im 17 yrs old, 5"9 180 looking to get into decent shape, I know nothing about working out and routines and whatnot and I just need help on getting started, I was working out heavy over the summer but didnt see any real changes except for more definition in my upper back for whatever reason. So could someone just help me out with a routine on going to the gym 3 times a week just to help me get relatively cut?

no one has answered your question yet so let me see if I can. All you need is some advice, a little motivation, and time to get to the gym.

Here is your advice: http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/a/weight101.htm
I find this article to be pretty useful. Tells you everything about how to start working out and creating routines.

You have to push yourself for motivation. Maybe go with a friend to the gym so you can stay motivated. You are 17 so it might be a little hard to go to the gymwith school and work and all. If you aren't playing any spring sports then you should be good. Go to the gym after school or in the evening. Start out bygoing 2-3 times a week. A couple months later you can extend it to 4-5 times. Remember that you won't look cut or defined in a span of 2 days. Good luck.

Originally Posted by IronmanFitness

do you guys think 2 moths is enoug hto get in shape? because a girl im seeing after a long time is coming back to town and i want to impress her? i use to workout before but i lost intrest....im also an insomniac but hopefully i can recover

What do you mean by get in shape? Do you want to lose weight or gain muscle and look defined? If it's about losing weight, I think you can if you areVERY disciplined. Eating habits and hitting the gym is my only answer. Do cardio exercises every day and eat right. If it's about looking ripped then Idon't know because 2 months is pretty short.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Originally Posted by PREM092

-5'11
-weigh 170+

What is your body fat percentage? I'm guessing you'd only need to lose 10-15 pounds of fat to see your 6-pack. You'll never be able to lose 35 pounds at your weight and 5'11.

If your body fat % is average you'll be around 15%.

15% of 170 pounds means that you have 145 pounds of muscle and 25 pounds of fat. If you lost 10 pounds of fat over 2 months you'd get a 6-pack.

can you tell me a diet to help me lose this 10 pounds of fat instead of losing 10 pounds of muscle?

Just a quick question.
During basketball season I've only been able to get 2 proper gym sessions a week in. Now that our University season is over (this is in England) I feel I've got enough extra time to add in a 3rd session per week. What would be the best way to split up the sessions. I'm looking for all around workout stuff including legs. Just wanting to know what would be the best way to organise it...in case its not clear, i mean like (just as an example)

Session 1: Legs
Session 2: Back & Shoulders
Session 3: Chest & Arms

what do you guys suggest?

-I always put my 1st w/o for whichever major muscle group I need to improve on the most i.e. chest. I also do not workout my chest then shoulder the following session/day because of my rotator cuff problems. So pretty much if I want to improve on my shoulders then I do that 1st thing in the week then chest for my 3rd workout.

-Some people mix up back and shoulders(I found mixing the 2 together was heavy), but to each his own. I do chest/bis, back/tris, shoulder and in between legs.

If you'd like to proceed with your regular routine I suggest you do #2 1st thing during the week since you're still fresh and not fatigued, #3 2nd and legs 3rd since you said you play ball already.

*thanks to long hours of reading BB.com blogs and threads
wink.gif

Any tips?

Breakfast

mad.gif

Oatmeal - 130 calories

2 Peanut butter and Jelly on Potato Bread - nope - Wont that greatly decrease my calories and protein intake? Any good substitutes that are JUST as easy? Thanks for your help btw
smile.gif

Orange Juice - just drink it - whatever - drink water - K. But where will I get my vitamin C from? Help?

one a day maximum

Snack 1

Yogurt -100 calories 4 g of protein - I KNOW COTTAGE CHEESE IS BETTER BUT IM LACTOSE INTOLERANT

Lunch -

1200 to 1400 calories - better if you cook your own lunch, forget the soda and donate the apple pie to the nearest obese person - K losing the soda and apple pie. I cant currently cook the grilled chicken just yet (at school) - will it be ok if I stick with the BK grilled chicken sandwich or is that def. a MAJOR no no?

Pre workout snack

muffin - 400-500 calories - ? - Carbs before workout? Please explain? (sorry i just want to absorb as much info as I can)

WHEY PROTEIN - 50 G OF PROTEIN - I think you just need to sub this in with some whole wheat bread *light sandwich with some meat - Wont that greatly lower my protein intake?

POST WORKOUT SNACK

PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY ON POTATO - [color= rgb(0, 0, 255)]eat a fruit instead[/color] - which kind mate?

calcium pills

fish oil gel caps - [color= rgb(0, 0, 255)]the usual dosage for this is 3x/day with meals[/color]

SNACK - 2 ENSURE PLUS - 700 CALORIES 26G OF PROTEIN - Don't be an old man, grab some milk from your grocery - I am Lactose Intolerant, Can I use 2% lactose free milk?

K need some customizations I see

HERES MY STATUS:

Lactose Intolerant - no cottage cheese for me
frown.gif
- good substitute???

No Whole Milk for me - Lactose intolerant
frown.gif
- Can I use 2% LACTOSEINTOLERANT Milk?

Anyone know where I can find a good Nightime snack RIGHT before sleep? CASEIN PROTEIN - Any foods that are VERY high in this? I dont really have a supplementfor this - maybe in a few weeks ill save up enough to buy one, but what do i do now???

My protein is MASS XXX - 700-1000 calories per serving.
THATS MEANS THAT MY CALORIE INTAKE WILL BE OVER 6000++ PER DAY
eek.gif
!
embarassed.gif
- this is kinda weird no? Bad?

Can someone FULLY CUSTOMIZE my meal plan incorporating my specifications listed above??

Once again - Im 140 - height 5'9''. Looking to become 150ish of muscle within a few months. (possible?)

I dont want to gain massive amts of fat - I have good tonality currently - I wish not to lose that nor my abs.
I workout 3x a week now - M W and Fr.

Someone please help as I am quite the novice at nutrition
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by nightruans

Originally Posted by DonCoryson

Little background story, I had mono for 3 months up until June 1st of 2007, where my weight dropped to a disgusting 175 pounds. Pretty much made a lifestyle change and I became determined to get in shape. I've only been training seriously and knowledgably for the last 9 months. Ended up bulking to a high weight of 205 pounds and now I'm approx 201, also I'm 19 years old and my height is almost at 6"1'

I think I've made good progress, thanks to the knowledge and help of my twin brother who is a pretty damn good powerlifter in his own right. He squatted 570 pounds and deadlifted 580 while weighing approx 200 pounds in his only competition.
i started hitting the gym about 3 months ago and my bench has gone from like 135 to like 205 but im still kinda small.. i weigh like 175 and want to weigh about your weight 200-210... lol how can i get like you... what did you eat and what supplements did you take as well as what was your workout? sorry for all the questions but imm trying to get bigger... good job on the recovery ! thanks for the help

To start off you need to eat a lot! if you're not putting on the pounds you need to force food down.

General nutrition tips:
-when given the choice always use wheat bread
-don't drink your calories(this obviously excludes protein shakes), that means no soda
-cut back on alcohol, (this is a major problem for me, i can't even imagine the gains I would get if i didn't party 2-3 nights a week)
-if you're going to drink juice, your drink should be diluted with at least 50% water
-only eat grilled meats, nothing fried
-lots of chicken and fish(i dont like fish, so i eat a pretty absurd amount of chicken on a weekly basis)
- don't neglect red meats when you're trying to put on lean muscle, keep it lean and you'll be fine
-egg whites for breakfast (i'm not an egg eater, but I'm trying to change that)
-snack on almonds and peanuts
-plain oatmeal, learn to love it

for workouts i've probably switched my routine about 4-5 times since i started last summer. I started with a more bodybuilding type program style based on45-60 seconds rest between sets and high reps(at 8-15). These type of workouts will kick your %@% and you are going to need supplements to recover and workyour body that hard for 4-6 days a week. Also don't neglect cardio. It'll help you through these psychotic workouts and even though you'll burnsome calories, it'll really ramp up your apetite.

right now I'm taking:

Get Diesel Nutrition Nos Ether (creatine superproduct)
Scivation Xtend lemonade flavor (i drink it during my workout, BCAA's)
whey protein
multi-vitamin
fish oil

and now onto the goodies...

Ergopharm AMP, Ergopharm AMP 2, Ergopharm Clearshot, Cytolean, Redline 7-hour power shot (different stimulants that I've used recently)
Anabolic Xtreme Mass FX Maximum Strength and Hyperdrol X2

-when given the choice always use wheat bread
-don't drink your calories(this obviously excludes protein shakes), that means no soda
-cut back on alcohol, (this is a major problem for me, i can't even imagine the gains I would get if i didn't party 2-3 nights a week)
-if you're going to drink juice, your drink should be diluted with at least 50% water
-only eat grilled meats, nothing fried
-lots of chicken and fish(i dont like fish, so i eat a pretty absurd amount of chicken on a weekly basis)
- don't neglect red meats when you're trying to put on lean muscle, keep it lean and you'll be fine
-egg whites for breakfast (i'm not an egg eater, but I'm trying to change that)
-snack on almonds and peanuts
-plain oatmeal, learn to love it
Funny thing is, I did all this (except never avoided juice) before I even thought about eating healthy
laugh.gif

oatmeal with some cinnamon is great, just have to know the right milk to oat ratio

Friend forwarded me along this workout awhile ago and I tried it this weekend.� I like to do some circuit type training on the weekends to keep active.� Iusually take Monday off from lifting/excercise and do the standard muscle excercises Tues-Fri and then do these circuit routines on the weekends:

Back
Top Bottom