:::[Official]World Cup South Africa 2010 Thread:::

Originally Posted by kidoopz

And yeah you can bet Messi doesn't mind that he's not scoring and his team is winning.  But, you can really tell recently that he's trying to end his scoreless streak lol.. Gotten a wee bit selfish and hopefully he doesn't try to do too much against a Germany team who were brilliant in their counter attack vs England.   
Yeah and the Euro's 2008 that Spain team was just ridiculously good.  The passing was almost video gamish.  I still
laugh.gif
@ the celebration they pulled while Bastian was interviewing lol..

you're definitely right about messi trying to get on the board....but i don't think it's coming at the expense of his team. he's taking good shots and anything resembling selfishness tends to happen late in the match when argentina has already sealed the win. look at the match vs. mexico, messi took matters into his own hands at like 92:30......when you're up 3-1 that's not a problem
pimp.gif

as for spain they still look great with their passing.....in fact ironically vs. switzerland their passing looked like that of  euro 08 IMO.they had like 80% ofthe posession i bleive, but they just couldn't finish.

i'm happy to see a lot of the heavyweight teams advancing.......makes for a lot of great matchups to come. ghana vs. uruguay is kind of weak but germay vs. argentina??
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
brazil vs. netherlands ?
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

i can't wait. 

Originally Posted by marionthebarberian

is lucio the most annoying player?

naww hes a goddamn boss. 
brasil looking great
pimp.gif
no jogo bonito but they still ruthlessly dispose of teams. only brasil can have a mediocre half and be up 2 0 on a team like chile. sad to see chile go though, they did south america proud.

gonna be a good day when brasil lifts that trophy for the sixth time. 

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Originally Posted by Keepie Uppie

first match,first goal...

Messi,you watching this?
devil.gif
lol.. Doesn't matter according to some he doesn't need to score.  Even though he's taken the most shots so far lol.
Don't want to start the debate again, but I don't think there are any hard and fast rules either way.

You could score 5 goals and not be the best player at the WC, or you could score 0 goals and be the best player. People need to pay attention to his game and not just rely on the stat sheet to determine whether or not he's playing well. If Nigeria's keeper hadn't made that ridiculous save, would Messi be having a better tournament right now? Maybe by some measures, but if he's playing a part in most of their goals and unleashing all sorts of shots on target, it's tough to criticize him for not scoring IMO.
I pay attention to everything.  I also pay attention when people make biased comments and state as if Messi has been playing heads and heels above everyone else when that is false.  I watch every aspect of football and notice the integral things such as spacing, passing, defense, drawing defenders and so on.  But, when I see people saying *Higuain scored a hat trick b/c of Messi, or Tevez is pouring in goals b/c Messi is drawing defenders* I mean like really.  It's annoying.  I mean he did play a part, but where is the credit giving to these world class strikers.  If Messi were to get a hat trick, I bet we'd hear 0 about Higuain, but more saying Messi is that dumb G nickname.  Truth
Who do you think have been the standout attackers in this tournament so far? For me it's been Messi, Forlan, Villa and probably Ozil too. These guys have all been very instrumental in their teams' success so far and I dont think Argentina, Uruguay, Spain and Germany would be performing as well without those players.

Messi is not 'dominating' and he obviously hasn't scored goals but he's done almost everything well. He has made life so much easier for players like Higuain (who is a great striker but he scored the easiest hattrick in history against South Korea
laugh.gif
). No one is taking anything away from Messi's supporting cast, it's just that he has been the standout attacker for Argentina so far.

And you are right, if Messi scored a hattrick we wouldnt hear anything about Higuain because they are two totally different players. Messi is a play-maker who can score plenty of goals. Higuain is a flat out goalscorer. He has no other responsibility on the pitch other than to bury any chance that comes his way. So far he's done just that
pimp.gif

Anyways, I think its fans of the game who are making too big of a deal of Messi's performances so far. I understand some people are upset about Messi being pre-maturely labeled as an all time great but to be fair to Messi, it's his supporters who are making these claims. You think Messi cares about being scoreless so far? His team is 3-wins away from winning the World Cup. He'll take a World Cup trophy over the World Cup Golden Boot any day of the week. History ultimately remembers winners.
Yes he does your a fool if you think otherwise what superstar doesnt want to score en route to a championship? I dont care if he is the most self less person in the world give the Pope a jersey and he would want a goal eventually

Yes he does your a fool if you think otherwise what superstar doesntwant to score en route to a championship? I dont care if he is the mostself less person in the world give the Pope a jersey and he would wanta goal eventually

I disagree. He's playing well, the team is playing well, they've scored the most goals so far as a team and they are 3 wins away from winning the WC. Being scoreless in 4 matches isnt that big of a deal when all things are considered.

Brazil showed why are the kings of football today. Another easy win in which they barely exerted much effort. I dont think I've ever seen Brazil execute set pieces so well and defend so well. When in history have Brazil ever defended with 7-8 men every time the ball was in their half of the pitch? Even Robinho was tracking back all the way to Brazil's touchline. The discipline and commitment Dunga has instilled into this team is the reason why this is their WC to lose. I cant even think of any weaknesses that they have. Although, it wont be as easy against Holland as it was today against Chile. Holland's 2 defensive midfielders will be there to contain Brazil's counter attack and reduce the amount of space between the midfield and defence (see Brazil's 3rd goal today and how much room Chile gave them in the middle). Another difference between Holland and Chile is that Holland's attack has that quick strike element to them where they can create good chances quickly and out of nothing. Today Chile spent way too much time trying to create chances and seconds later they found 7-8 Brazilians defending. Holland's attackers will be much more direct and they will test Julio Cesar more than he's been tested since the tournament started.

Originally Posted by JD214

Predictions:

Paraguay 2 - 1 Japan

Espana 3 - 1 Portugal
Paraguay needs to remind themselves not to give away freekicks outside the box...Japan has a couple of players who's pretty good at setpieces...
plus,they're quite a hardworking team so i wouldn't be too surprised if Japan wins that one...

i'd pick Spain too but i think the score might be closer...probably 2-1...

Japan will surprise. In this sport hustle is its own skill set and sooner or later it'll pay off for teams like Japan or South Korea.

i hope japan wins against paraguay. although paraguay has been reppin well for south america.

cant wait to see brazil hold up that 6th!

my allegiance to barca and being a fan of robben.. hope 3 of the final four are:

argentina
netherlands
spain

and i don't give a crap about the other part of the bracket.. they are just going to get slaughtered by either brazil or the dutch

(i guess i'll go with ghana in the other bracket.. since they are the only african team left)

Not likeing the way Praguay is playing at all, they've had good chances but can't score.

The announcers just went in on China
laugh.gif

"800 million people in China...can't find 11 people to qualify"

Paraguay too many lost chances...it might haunt them later.

This has been a horribly played game, but Japan's toughness impresses me. They've had the better chances overall, even if Paraguay has dominated possession.

Some of those opening group games were pretty dull, but this will probably be the worst game of the knockout round. Two teams that seem like they want to avoid losing more than anything else.

Sigh why can't the Portugal game be first.  I have to work
tired.gif
tired.gif
and can only watch this Paraguay v Japan long ball fest
ohwell.gif

Back
Top Bottom