:::[Official]World Cup South Africa 2010 Thread:::

yeah ESPN has been hammering soccer while they cover the world cup. on all their talking heads shows.

the majority of americans hate soccer, so they want to tap into that. ESPN's techniques are easy to understand. it's the fox news blueprint

Originally Posted by Noskey

Ahahahahaha Spain.
Why are you laughing? The same thing is gonna happen to the Netherlands soon.

And Argentina
frown.gif

Diego Maradona made stinging comments about fellow soccer greats Pele and Michel Platini on Wednesday after the pair criticized Maradona’s performance as Argentina coach.
Maradona said he was not surprised by their comments and that "Pele has to go back to the museum."

As for Platini, "I always had a very distant relationship with him — hello and goodbye. We know how the French are and Platini is French and he thinks of himself as being more than the rest of the world. I’ve never paid him any attention and I won’t do it now."

Link
LOL.

the ignorance of americans when it comes to soccer
just because they suck.
that article is a disgrace, they've been complaining about the horns, just deal with it.
it's really sick watching american coverage when an american speaks or american commentators with their total bias is hella annoying.
but this is probably the greatest event on earth that brings the world together, but americans can't understand because they cannot dominate so they are ignorant to it.

Originally Posted by cruzair13

just because they suck.
that article is a disgrace, they've been complaining about the horns, just deal with it.
it's really sick watching american coverage when an american speaks or american commentators with their total bias is hella annoying.
but this is probably the greatest event on earth that brings the world together, but americans can't understand because they cannot dominate so they are ignorant to it.
It doesn't help that the guy who wrote that is a douche even when talking domestic sports/league. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Bruce Waynee

Brazil or Germany takes it IMO
A lot of people have been posting this, and I don't really understand it.

Brazil eeked out a 2-1 win against a team making its first WC appearance in 44 years. It took an absurd goal for them to get on the board, and their best player didn't really show up at all. If anything, Brazil's odds should be longer.

Germany put up 4 goals against a team who has been wasting away against Asian competition, and two of those goals came after a shady ejection of Australia's best player. I understand that their performance was impressive, but we're viewing them as favorites to lift the Cup now?

Argentina beat Serbia 6-0 in the group stage of the last World Cup, and they didn't even make it to the semis. I say we hold off on crowning teams based on one group game.

IMO all of these results just speak to how effective and prevalent defensive/negative soccer has become. Teams come out on the field with the intention of stopping the other team's attack, and whether or not they can even cross over midfield themselves is an afterthought. This usually means that a single goal might be enough to win any given game. Spain could have easily won that game if a couple of balls had bounced differently, but they didn't. It doesn't mean they're a terrible team that has no chance of winning the Cup, it just means they came out on the wrong end in that particular game. The same thing could've happened to Argentina were it not for a crazy header by Heinze, and we saw what happened to England thanks to an unlucky bounce.

But I don't think this defensive strategy is conducive to advancing far in the tournament, and teams will have to come out of their shell. Uruguay, for example, can't just sit back and defend against Mexico, because it'll probably need a win to advance. That's my only hope for this tournament, because otherwise I don't see why teams won't just come out with the purpose of suffocating the game into a dull midfield encounter.

Alright, just had to come in and say that the whole Spanish team was completely predictable today... but $!$##++ Navas played like complete human garbage. How many times in the final 30 minutes of that match did this happen.

1) Navas takes on the LB
2) Creates some space
3) Fires in an awful, low cross
4) Defender easily heads it away
5) Rinse n' repeat

Dude should not see the field again in my opinion unless its as a human victory cigar.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
at the South African players singing in the tunnel on the way to the pitch.

Wonder what the Uruguay players are thinking as they see that
roll.gif

Originally Posted by TheGift23

Originally Posted by cruzair13

just because they suck.
It doesn't help that the guy who wrote that is a douche even when talking domestic sports/league. 
laugh.gif
So whats the deal with this Rick Reilly?  I don't read his articles so I don't know if he does a lot of satirical pieces... and was that the point of the article?  Cuz if he's serious about all those complaints, then he just comes off as arrogant... nit-picking and putting-down the most popular sport in the world... almost as if he's looking down at the rest of the world for liking such a sport. 
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by engoi

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Ahahahahaha Spain.
Why are you laughing? The same thing is gonna happen to the Netherlands soon.

I know
frown.gif

But for now I'm definitely enjoying myself. $!%$ Spain.
No believe in Eliah and Robben ?
I believe that history will rear it's ++@ ugly head again, leading to another World Cup full of choke.

But I'll enjoy the ride while it's going.

Is that the farthest goal in the whole Cup?

Definitely the farthest I've seen, but I certainly haven't seen every score. I don't really recall seeing anything outside the box before now.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Is that the farthest goal in the whole Cup?

Definitely the farthest I've seen, but I certainly haven't seen every score. I don't really recall seeing anything outside the box before now.
Dempsey.

Back
Top Bottom