:::[Official]World Cup South Africa 2010 Thread:::

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Originally Posted by RoOk

Wow...Shameful game by RSA
Instead of blasting them for this performance, I'd praise them for their fight against Mexico. The truth is that this South African squad is one of the worst teams at the tournament, if not the worst, and they didn't even qualify for the 16 team African Cup of Nations earlier this year. I think their FIFA ranking coming into the tourney was the lowest among the 32 teams. The fact that they tied Mexico was a testament to the tremendous home field advantage that hosts enjoy at the World Cup.
They're ranked #87
North Korea is lowest ranked #105

Instead of blasting them for this performance, I'd praise them for their fight against Mexico. The truth is that this South African squad is one of the worst teams at the tournament, if not the worst, and they didn't even qualify for the 16 team African Cup of Nations earlier this year. I think their FIFA ranking coming into the tourney was the lowest among the 32 teams. The fact that they tied Mexico was a testament to the tremendous home field advantage that hosts enjoy at the World Cup.
Dude don't try to cover up this performance man. I understand their ranked 80+ while Uruguay is 16th and Mexico is not far behind but come on, they got really lucky against Mexico and you can praise them all you want but be real man they played ONE decent half while the rest were horrible.

Originally Posted by newmoanyuh

They're ranked #87
North Korea is lowest ranked #105
200388920.gif

Point still stands. 

Dude don't try to cover up this performance man. I understand their ranked 80+ while Uruguay is 16th and Mexico is not far behind but come on, they got really lucky against Mexico and you can praise them all you want but be real man they played ONE decent half while the rest were horrible.
How am I praising them or covering up this performance? The point is that this performance is basically what this team is capable of at the world stage. They played way over their heads against Mexico. So I'm not covering it up, I'm saying "shameful" performances are the norm for South Africa. 

Wow South Africa really really suck. I truly believed homefield advantage would get them into the 2nd round. They could have afforded to lose today and still advance by beating France but losing by 3-goals has killed most of their hopes of advancing. Uruguay can lose their next match and South Africa can win their next match and South Africa will still be behind Uruguay. Their only hope now is for France/Mexico to draw tomorrow and for Uruguay to beat/draw Mexico and for South Africa to beat France. Sepp Blatter better start making some phone calls...

South Africa without homefield advantage really do suck though. They couldnt even qualify for the African Cup of Nations. I'd still say they are in the top 15 amongst African teams...Algeria, Tunisia, Egypt, Cameroon, Ghana, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Zambia, Angola, Mali, Morocco, Togo are all probably better than South Africa though. 

Yeah Uruguay is played well and has been but wait till they reach the quarters lol

I'm mad they blocked NT at work.
But can anyone help me out understanding the formations? I know there's a lot but what are the ones teams usually use?
and is there anything spectacular about a 4-4-2, because I was looking at a blog and that was the name of it.

Originally Posted by omgitswes

But can anyone help me out understanding the formations? I know there's a lot but what are the ones teams usually use?
and is there anything spectacular about a 4-4-2, because I was looking at a blog and that was the name of it.
4-4-2 means that there are 4 defenders, 4 midfielders, and 2 strikers.

Originally Posted by SUCKAFREE85

Originally Posted by omgitswes

4-4-2 means that there are 4 defenders, 4 midfielders, and 2 strikers.
also traditionally it's the most widely used formation, that's why the blog is named that. the 4-3-3 is common too, you'll also see the 4-5-1 a lot. 
today you also see a lot of personnel specific formations like maybe a 5-2-2-1 with more precise position roles such as attacking/holding midfielders, wingers,  and differences between the role of forward and striker. 

it's all pretty simple to understand but kind of hard to explain over the internet. 

Oh okay, seems like it basically depends on the type of personnel that's on the field.One more thing, then I'm done I promise lol.What's the best TV package to get for league matches? We're switching to Direct TV when my dad gets back to work

Mourinho ruined football ! every game is 1-0  cot damn

Oh and to anyone saying south Africa sucks is an idiot its easy to see their build up play is really good they are just missing a good striker  or shall i call it killer instinct to finish their chances off

and today the only reason the score line got inflated vs Uruguay was because the  south african got demoralized after the first goal and they never recovered then the penalty call from the ref just put everything to bed even though the Uruguayan was offside

Originally Posted by third

Oh and to anyone saying south Africa sucks is an idiot its easy to see their build up play is really good they are just missing a good striker  or shall i call it killer instinct to finish their chances off
Nah dude they just suck

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

What did I say about Spain? Way too predictable. I surprised they gotexposed so early but I felt it would happen eventually. We've seen howteams beat high possession, short passing squads plenty of times inrecent years. Switzerland executed the 'park the bus, counter attack'approach perfectly today.
I just watched the match in full for the first time, and I totally disagree with this. Your prediction that Spain would struggle ended up being correct, but not for the reasons you stated. Spain was dominant today, and it was more bad luck + a lack of finishing that did them in. If predictability was their problem, they wouldn't have been in threatening positions ALL GAME long. The Swiss and their tactics had less to do with Spain's loss today than the rustiness of the Spanish, which was evident in their finishing. The game could've easily ended 4-1 in Spain's favor had a few balls bounced differently. Pique, Alonso, Torres and Iniesta all had legit chances that could have been goals on another day, and Switzerland's goal was a result of three or four consecutive lucky bounces. 
It's unfortunate that Spain lost, because they'll probably run into Brazil now, but I was more impressed with Spain's performance today against a strong Swiss defense than Brazil's performance against North Korea *Kanyeshrug*. 

is anyone else bored with the espn/univision narrators?  ive been watching on espn/abc(to support futbol in the US, the ratingsgame), they do an OK job but lack the passion/artistry/style/flavorthat south american(mainly argentinian) narrators possess. it makesthe game more thrilling and entertaining for me. for example anaverage narrator will say "veron passes to messi" while a greatnarrator imo would have said the same thing in two paragraphs... whilecatching his breathe!
roll.gif

does anyone know where to listen to any good south american or english narrators online?

i am gonna check my AM radio channels before argentina vs south korea to see if i find anything.

is anyone here listening somewhere and watching elsewhere?

You can go to Justin TV (Various Argentine/Other South American participant channels show games from their station) and try to sync the volume with your image...or search for the national radio station... I find the best narrators are Argentine and Colombian.
pimp.gif

Awesome play on that goal.
pimp.gif

How shocking was Spain's loss very upsetting.
They had complete control of the ball through out the whole game.
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom