:::[Official]World Cup South Africa 2010 Thread:::

-Had Highlights in this post, but FIFA took down 2 of them from Youtube
laugh.gif
smh.gif
-

Originally Posted by needsomejays

question, what would happen if all the teams in one of the groups had a draw every match?
Well the tie breaker is goal differential and that would be thrown out, so it might go to goals scored or goals allowed for the tie breaker. Im not sure.

I believe this still stands:

a) greatest number of points obtained in all group matches;
b) goal difference in all group matches;
c) greatest number of goals scored in all group matches.
If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their rankings will be determined as follows:
d) greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned;
e) goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned;
f) greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned;
g) drawing of lots by the Organising Committee for the FIFA World Cup.

Originally Posted by Fear The Ibis

On pace to be the lowest scoring world cup ever. Thank you Adidas for this garbage ball you have provided.
This is brought up every world cup, most of the time the ball has a disadvantage to the goalies as it is difficult to judge how the ball is going to move in the air.  Personally I don't think the ball has much to do with it, teams just haven't been getting good shots on goal, add that with the weather and they haven't had that many optimal conditions in that many games so far.  These are the best players in the world, the ball is only going to affect the game so much, I am tired of people using this as a crutch or an excuse.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Originally Posted by MaddenFan04

The ball is ruining the world cup

IDGAF what anyone thinks

That's great because you don't know what the hell you're talking about.
laugh.gif
i don't know about all that.
long balls have become so hard. the ball just flies to much. i really do think its lowered the quality of the game. MAYBE if this ball had been in use for a year or so... it would be optimal. but the quality of play has just been poor and its one of the few variables to be blamed (assuming players dont just suck).

Originally Posted by airblaster503

Originally Posted by Fear The Ibis

On pace to be the lowest scoring world cup ever. Thank you Adidas for this garbage ball you have provided.
This is brought up every world cup, most of the time the ball has a disadvantage to the goalies as it is difficult to judge how the ball is going to move in the air.  Personally I don't think the ball has much to do with it, teams just haven't been getting good shots on goal, add that with the weather and they haven't had that many optimal conditions in that many games so far.  These are the best players in the world, the ball is only going to affect the game so much, I am tired of people using this as a crutch or an excuse.

If it's a disadvantage to the goalies as far as air movement then it's a disadvantage to shooters too. If goalies can't predict where the ball is going then players aren't going to be able to get the right control on the ball and place the ball where they want on the shot.

I don't see how you can argue that it has no effect when you're not playing with it and the players who are using it have said themselves it's had an effect and the ball sucks. -__-

Originally Posted by PlatinumFunk

IDGAF what anyone thinks

laugh.gif
long balls have become so hard. the ball just flies to much. i really do think its lowered the quality of the game. MAYBE if this ball had been in use for a year or so... it would be optimal. but the quality of play has just been poor and its one of the few variables to be blamed (assuming players dont just suck).
I've watched about half the games and the play is clearly lacking. It's not that it's bad play. It's just boring play. Not very creative.

so disappointed in Portugal/Ivory Coast.... they are wayyyyyy to talented to play 0-0

but Portugal had THE worst Corner service, so many terrible strikes and mi****s

IDGAF what anyone thinks

laugh.gif
I've watched about half the games and the play is clearly lacking. It's not that it's bad play. It's just boring play. Not very creative.
ive just seen so many great builups thrown away by overhit crosses, last touches, etc.
it's gotta be the ball man! 
laugh.gif

IDGAF what anyone thinks

laugh.gif
ive just seen so many great builups thrown away by overhit crosses, last touches, etc.
it's gotta be the ball man! 
laugh.gif

I know that you are joking.  People need to understand this, that players just haven't been able to put the finishing touches on the ball.  Sure long shots have been affected some, but there are to many other variables that can have affect on ball movement, mainly the weather.  I think it will get better as the world cup goes on, teams are just playing safe trying to get points to get to the next round. 

It has more to do with tactics than the ball. Even Brazil are a defence-oriented squad now. Argentina, with all their potent attackers, didn't score that many goals in qualifying.

France, Italy, Portugal, England are anemic. Holland went up against a stalwart defence, and so on.

Chile and Spain should play some great attacking football tomorrow. As the group stage progresses, tactics will change and injuries/suspensions will come into play, so I expect it to pick up.

[h1]Vuvuzela drone killing World Cup atmosphere[/h1]
The constant drone of cheap and tuneless plastic horns is killing the atmosphere at the World Cup.

Where are the loud choruses of "Oooohhsss" from enthralled crowds when a shot scorches just wide of the goalpost? And the sharp communal intake of breath, the shrill "Aaahhhhss," when a goalkeeper makes an acrobatic, match-winning save? Or the humorous/moving/offensive football chants and songs?

Mostly, they're being drowned out by the unrelenting water-torture beehive hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm of South African vuvuzela trumpets. Damn them. They are stripping World Cup 2010 of football's aural artistry.

World Cup fans
WORLD CUP FANS
Some of the world's most colorful characters show up every four years at the World Cup. Check out the best fan shots at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

Vuvuzela apologists - a few more weeks of this brainless white noise will perhaps change, or melt, their minds - defend the din as simply part of the South African experience. Each country to its own, they say. When in Rome, blah, blah, blah.

Which would be fine if this was purely a South African competition. Fans could then legitimately hoot away to their hearts' content while annoying no one other than their immediate neighbors.

But this is the World Cup, a celebration of the 32 nations that qualified and of all the others that did not but which still play and love the game. Hosting planet football brings responsibilities. At the very least, South Africa should ensure that the hundreds of millions of visitors who come in goodwill to its door, both in person and via the magic of television, do not go home with a migraine. How many TV viewers who long for a more nuanced soundtrack to go with the show have already concluded that the only way to enjoy this World Cup is by pressing mute on their remote?

In Tweeting "No offense to the vuvuzela posse but, man, it's a bit much," seven-time Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong was not alone.

Attending or watching a match should be a feast for both the eyes and the ears. Those two senses work better together, each augmenting the other.

Sounds should ebb and flow like tides with the fortunes on the field. That adds to the drama. Fans reacting with their voices to action on the pitch, to events in the stadium and to each other's sounds, songs and chants are part of football's theater.

A sudden crowd silence can also tell a story - perhaps of the heartbreak of a late, defeat-inflicting goal or of the collective shock of seeing a player horribly injured by a bad tackle. Sometimes, you should even be able to hear a coach bark orders from the touchline or players shouting at each other for the ball.

There are stadium sounds other than vuvuzelas at this World Cup - just not enough of them. They are being bullied into submission by the trumpets' never-ending screech.

In Rustenburg there were scattered unison chants of "In-ger-land, In-ger-land," a few bars of "God Save the Queen" and the occasional "USA! USA!" when England played the United States on Saturday night. But vuvuzelas ultimately won the battle of the bands. They and the result - a disappointing 1-1 tie - silenced England's fans, who usually are among the best-drilled noisemakers in football.

They take their singing seriously, with chants that are cheeky, taunting and often just insulting. But at least they are inventive, too.

The same cannot be said of vuvuzelas. They are simply mindless. Their pitch doesn't change, just the intensity. Blow hard. Blow soft. The only range is from horrifically loud to just annoyingly so. Because of that, we absolutely could not hear the rich African voices of Ghana fans who sang lustily Sunday at the Loftus Versfeld in Pretoria, vibrantly clothed in their national colors of green and red. What a shame.

Please, South Africa, make the trumpets stop. Give us a song, instead.

The same cannot be said of vuvuzelas. They are simply mindless. Their pitch doesn't change, only the intensity. Blow hard. Blow soft. The only range is from horrifically loud to just annoyingly so.

Please, South Africa, make them stop. Give us a song, instead.

Nike continues to impress with more of their interesting and artful projects for the 2010 World Cup. In addition to the fabulous carved crayons, a giant sculpture comprised of almost 3,000 footballs (that's soccer balls for those of us in the US) designed by Leeds-based Ratcliffe Fowler Design hangs in the atrium of the Carlton Centre shopping mall in downtown Johannesburg.

'Ballman' as he has become dubbed, is a World Cup project for the leading sportswear brand.

Prior to being sea freighted to South Africa, a complete Ballman test build took place at Magna, the Science Adventure Centre and steel visitor attraction in Rotherham, UK. This was one of the few places in the UK with enough room to host the operation, which was co-ordinated by the Magna technical team, Transmitta.

Summit's project manager Jay Call studied the Carlton Centre's structural plans and discovered that the atrium of the building has a 12 x 12m steel grid, complete with 5 beams, 3m apart. Summit then designed an aluminum mother grid to fly below this, which is picked up on 4 x 5 ton hoists.

Once the sub-structure was flown at its 15m trim height, the bottom was filled in with flat panels and clad with moulded polystyrene - all with 537 holes drilled exactly in the right places for the 2x steel wire drops. This completely conceals all the metalwork and rigging, giving the appearance of a solid ceiling with the Ballman 'floating' in the air.

Ballman will stay in place for the whole World Cup tournament period, and when dismantled, the intention is that the balls will be given away. Jay Call commented: "It was a great pleasure to be involved in this project, which was different, challenging and extremely rewarding, both as a feat of engineering and a creative work for public enjoyment."

Possible reasons for low scoring matches:
-tactics...teams have become so defensively oriented in recent years and teams play very predictable styles...4-3-3, 4-5-1, 4-4-2 or 3-5-2. You got teams routinely having their strikers come back to defend corners, strikers and attacking midfielders/wings dropping back deep when the team doesnt have the ball, etc. Tactics have become homogeneous.
-altitude...difficult for players to keep their energy levels up in high altitude
-temperature...it's winter time in South Africa which means unpredictable weather...sunny and warm in some cities, rainy in others, freezing in some cities
-strategy...its often said the most crucial thing about the 1st match in tournaments is to avoid losing. It's possible that teams were extra cautious in their opening matches in hopes of getting atleast 1 pt and to get a better feel for the opponents that await them
-lack of preparation...I mentioned a few weeks ago about how poor some of the African teams preparations were going. Countries such as the Ivory Coast only spent about a week together before the start of the WC. Most teams spent 2-3 weeks together so it's possible they arent yet on the same page
-the new ball...it's definitely a factor IMO. Players can not control their shots on goal...I've seen too many shots spin uncontrollably. The fact that we havent seen a free kick goal yet or a long distance goal speaks wonders. As soon as the ball is off the ground it seems like it's going up and its not coming down for another 5 seconds or so
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom