OFFICIAL Ye fka "kanYe West" x G.O.O.D. Music Thread - ¥$ (AKA YE X TY DOLLA SIGN) - VULTURES 2 (NOW AVAILABLE sorta)

What gets lost in the pages and pages of ******** is that I believe someone suggested that Kanye did more for Jay and Rocafella than vice-versa.

Which is why people started rattling off the Roc songs that Kanye produced and discussing how "big" they were vs. the big records Jay/Rocafella had produced by others.

It wasn't like people said he was irrelevant when it came to Rocafella's success.

Something that should be mentioned is that if we're looking at The Blueprint as the "reintroduction" of soul samples, ALL of the producers on there used them. Bink and Just included.

So you can't just attribute all of that to Kanye.

This Twitter "beef" unleashed epic levels of ******* :lol:

We need that album already :lol:

This. Although Waves could do that too. :lol:

Indubitably :lol:

Last edited:
You're missing my point and still only talking about the mainstream

Train of Thought came out in 2000

Expansion Team came out in 2001

Disposable Arts came out in 2001

There are countless rap albums that were HEAVILY using soul samples before, during, and after Kanye's descent from the heavens

Just because they weren't commercially successful doesn't mean that they don't exist

Which is why I say that he reintroduced it to the MAINSTREAM, but not the genre AS A WHOLE

When I hear Travis Scott, I don't hear one bit of Atlanta :lol: I hear just a scaled down version of Kanye

There are countless rap albums that were HEAVILY using soul samples before, during, and after Kanye's descent from the heavens

Just because they weren't commercially successful doesn't mean that they don't exist

Which is why I say that he reintroduced it to the MAINSTREAM, but not the genre AS A WHOLE

My point in even bringing up the Kanye Thing is that him & Just made it popular and impactful in hiphop. so yea sure those albums were created, they didn't have any impact on the overall landscape of rap. So while a small pocket of producers & listeners loved those albums... that's great. However the impact on hiphop overall was not felt.

I Don't care who did it first, it wasn't until after that Blueprint album that a large portion of rap decided using soul samples was the "Hot" thing to do. In order to have to claim an impact you have to be able to translate that to the masses. Those albums didn't do that, Ye/Just and the production they did during that era did. i don't really think that's a difficult concept to grasp.

Last edited:
Just curious how many of y'all Kanye fans went in on drake about the writing fiasco?

Over the years I've come to realize Kanye isn't as creative as I once thought :smh:

It sounds like what's being said is that The Blueprint, as an album, and the sum of it's producers, not just one guy, popularized the soul sample trend.

Wait..... out everything Im reading this is the most intriguing. Y'all are telling me that this ***** right here is the leader of the new school :lol:

I'm saying though...

If Kanye, Wiz and ASAP are listening to this little kid for fashion advice then first of all they're all idiots. Second of all, I hate this kid for ruining fashion and making some of my favorite artists dress like homeless people. Third and final, have you guys heard this kid talk? If you have then you would also be wondering like me why the hell anybody would listen to what this kid has to say. He sounds like he dropped out of school back in the 3rd grade.

Also, I've stood right next to Wiz and he's one of the skinniest people I've ever seen in my life. If he tried punching anybody I'm pretty sure his arm would just snap.

I Don't care who did it first, it wasn't until after that Blueprint album that a large portion of rap decided using soul samples was the "Hot" thing to do.

Unless you're only talking about the mainstream, that isn't even remotely true

I'll drop it tho...this is going nowhere

Just Blaze and others were as responsible for sped up soul samples as Kanye. **** I'd argue the Hitmakers off their Dipset work too...

You listed tons of artists who used soul samples but that's not he point. anyone can ramble off obscure artists that were doing something first and it doesn't matter if the mainstream/larger musical universe is unaware of it.

Kanye's sound on Yeezus is largely influenced by Brazillian Afro-electronic music, west african hiphop, Travis Scott (who borrows a lot himself), and European artists like TNGHT and Gessafelstein.

I specifically remember you PLVN not knowing who Hudson Mohawke was in 2013 yet he had even more of an influence on the Yeezus sound than Daft Punk who executive produced the album. And that goes towards what people are saying.

I think what trynafeelmink trynafeelmink is saying is nothing is original, but of course we're going to credit the people who bring it to the greater public attention more than we do the people doing it on the low. It's not how it should be but it's how it is.

I mean, **** dudes on NT were singing and rapping WAY before Kanye, Drake and Cudi and Wiz. But when we talk about that sound becoming popular who do we reference:

808s, Thank Me Later, Man on the Moon and Kush and OJ.

Last edited:
"Umi Says", "Last Night", "Day N Nite" and plenty of Andre 3000's songs were big records though.

Those weren't obscure songs/artists. Outkast was on top of the game for the better part of the 90's.

That's a different conversation altogether though :lol:

Last edited:
Just curious how many of y'all Kanye fans went in on drake about the writing fiasco?

Over the years I've come to realize Kanye isn't as creative as I once thought :smh:

I ABSOLUTELY went in on Drake for the writing fiasco... because quite simply YE has made it very clear over the years that he does his albums in collaborative efforts. It heavily documented that he prefers a team concept over doing everything himself. Not to mention that he does heavy work on the production/arranging side of the music also. And cats don't really mention Ye in convos of whose the top lyricist

Now drake on the other Hand (& his Fans especially) made a very large deal about his pen game, Claims that he's the Jay-Z of this Era. Now for him to have straight up full reference tracks, it's like where exactly does his talent lye.

It's Like styles said he was in the running with Cole, Kendrick, Sean, Meek, Wale etc etc... with the ghostwriting **** tho he's now placed in a different lane. still makes good music but stop that king of hip hop talk immediately.

Hence why it was crazy to me that people didn't understand Why Meek called him out.... If i'm a rapper writing my bars & i keep being compared to a ***** who's basically a singer i would be upset too.

Unless you're only talking about the mainstream, that isn't even remotely true

I'll drop it tho...this is going nowhere

I am talking about IMPACT on the Hiphop Genre... If you didn't effect the mainstream in some way then quite frankly your impact wasn't heavy.

"Umi Says", "Last Night", "Day N Nite" and plenty of Andre 3000's songs were big records though.

Those weren't obscure songs/artists. Outkast was on top of the game for the better part of the 90's.

That's a different conversation altogether though :lol:

In response to me or an earlier post? I'm not digging through the other pages to see if I missed someone saying those weren't big records :lol:

If you meant to me, then yeah I absolutely agree. I'll say people thought Mos, Andre, and even Ja Rule were weirdos for the singing and would say things like that's not "hip hop." If you remember people had issues with Love Below saying it wasn't a hip hop album and shouldn't be considered as such. 808s got the same reception. I'm not 100% sure where it became acceptable to sing every track. Drake?

Last edited:
To you. You mentioned the obscurity of producers who used soul samples.

Then used the singing parallel.

But there were a lot of guys that did the singing that were not obscure.

I'm not sure it's acceptable even now. Some people **** with it, some people don't. I don't care for "Hotline Bling". I ***** with "Back To Back".

Those records I mentioned were still wildly popular no matter how many people said it wasn't "hip hop" etc.

Last edited:
Someone tell me I'm not crazy here

The worst part is that I agreed FROM JUMP that Kanye contributed to the repopularization of soul samples :lol:

Never forget.....

"Rumor has it "The Blueprint" classic
Couldn't even be stopped by Bin Laden
So September 11th marks the era forever
Of a revolutionary Jay Guevero
Now it's a whole museum of, Hov' MCers
Everybody duping the flow, you see 'em
Everybody looping up soul
It's like you trying to make "The Blueprint 2" before Hov
Shout out to just bleezy and Kan yeezy'"

Last edited:
I ABSOLUTELY went in on Drake for the writing fiasco... because quite simply YE has made it very clear over the years that he does his albums in collaborative efforts. It heavily documented that he prefers a team concept over doing everything himself. Not to mention that he does heavy work on the production/arranging side of the music also. And cats don't really mention Ye in convos of whose the top lyricist

Now drake on the other Hand (& his Fans especially) made a very large deal about his pen game, Claims that he's the Jay-Z of this Era. Now for him to have straight up full reference tracks, it's like where exactly does his talent lye.

It's Like styles said he was in the running with Cole, Kendrick, Sean, Meek, Wale etc etc... with the ghostwriting **** tho he's now placed in a different lane. still makes good music but stop that king of hip hop talk immediately.

Hence why it was crazy to me that people didn't understand Why Meek called him out.... If i'm a rapper writing my bars & i keep being compared to a ***** who's basically a singer i would be upset too.

So Kanye writes his music in "collaborative efforts" as well as produce his music in "collaborative efforts" and he's some sort of musical genius, drake had some references tracks and he's a fraud? Forget all that other nonsense you wrote, if one is a fraud then so is the other it's all rap, and hiphop.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom