[::OFFSEASON OVER. Lock Please.::]

Which New Laker Acquisition Will Shine The Most This Upcoming Season?

• Jordan Farmar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nick Young

• Chris Kaman

• Elias Harris

• Wesley Johnson

• Ryan Kelly

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good move getting rid of MWP. He'll always be appreciated for the 2010 run but it was time for him to bounce.

Hopefully D'Antoni is next with his no coaching defense ***.

I put a PM out to PMatic on something that may help us. Not sure on it 100% so I want him to clarify it for me. But it's something that may help us a little more, maybe ease some of you a bit. Give him a bit to check it and come thru.

for those against the 2014 cap space plan, care to share what you would do instead? please outline free agent signings/trades you would do to right this ship.

I said a couple pages ago, that apparently is the worst idea ever, that a FA haul of Bron/Melo, a reasonably priced Kyle Lowry and Gortat ( all on 2-3-4 yr - team option the last yr ) resign Kobe and Pau for the low-low.

...and I didn't even include our top 3 draft pick in the lineup :lol

at least I had the balls to post a "plan"

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I want no parts of Carmelo's game.

I'm not going to rehash the reasons why.

"Rehash? Ska, I've never seen you talk about Carmelo in here. Wouldn't you have to first talk about him in order for your bashing to be considered rehashing?"

Oh, but you have seen me discuss his  ball-stopping, chucking, volume shooting style. You've been reading me talk about how much I hate it for years.

His scoring style is... Kobe. There are major differences to their individual application of that style, and I prefer Kobe's interpretation of that style 100 out of 100 times. They have a similar style, with Melo being a more gritty rebounder (spare me your numbers; I'm talking about what I see on a consistent basis). And even though I am a HUUUUGE proponent of two things (great rebounding and great 'teammate involvement' [Kidd, Paul]), Kobe has something else over Melo that causes me to stomach Kobe's game MUCH more easily than I would be able to stomach Melo's: tenacity.

I admire Kobe's intensity and work ethic. It's literally... wait, no it's not*... the only reason I am even SLIGHTLY a fan. His determination, work ethic, sacrificing of body by plying through the gamut of injuries that he consistently plays through... that's the kind of person I am, and I love that in Kobe.

*can't say that Kobe's mental approach is the only thing I like about him anymore. I definitely appreciate his loyalty to the same team I'm loyal to. In today's day and age, that's rare. Even Paul Pierce ain't a 'forever w/ one team' dude. "Oh, but ska, he was almost a Clipper. A Bull. A..." blah, blah, blah. Never happened. Maybe he will ring chase for that 6th and join the Heat or Thunder or some other top tier team, but for now, he is playing for and only has played for... my Lakers (no NobleKane
laugh.gif
)

I'm sorry, but I want no parts of Carmelo's game.

I'm not going to rehash the reasons why.

"Rehash? Ska, I've never seen you talk about Carmelo in here. Wouldn't you have to first talk about him in order for your bashing to be considered rehashing?"

Oh, but you have seen me discuss his  ball-stopping, chucking, volume shooting style. You've been reading me talk about how much I hate it for years.

His scoring style is... Kobe. There are major differences to their individual application of that style, and I prefer Kobe's interpretation of that style 100 out of 100 times. They have a similar style, with Melo being a more gritty rebounder (spare me your numbers; I'm talking about what I see on a consistent basis). And even though I am a HUUUUGE proponent of two things (great rebounding and great 'teammate involvement' [Kidd, Paul]), Kobe has something else over Melo that causes me to stomach Kobe's game MUCH more easily than I would be able to stomach Melo's: tenacity.

I admire Kobe's intensity and work ethic. It's literally... wait, no it's not*... the only reason I am even SLIGHTLY a fan. His determination, work ethic, sacrificing of body by plying through the gamut of injuries that he consistently plays through... that's the kind of person I am, and I love that in Kobe.

*can't say that Kobe's mental approach is the only thing I like about him anymore. I definitely appreciate his loyalty to the same team I'm loyal to. In today's day and age, that's rare. Even Paul Pierce ain't a 'forever w/ one team' dude. "Oh, but ska, he was almost a Clipper. A Bull. A..." blah, blah, blah. Never happened. Maybe he will ring chase for that 6th and join the Heat or Thunder or some other top tier team, but for now, he is playing for and only has played for... my Lakers (no NobleKane
laugh.gif
)
But more so than Dwight, I would think Melo would change up his game a little bit if he was to play along side with Kobe. He knows Kobe is going to be the one jacking up all the shots, so I think Melo would take a different approach to his offense. IMO the two of them would be a great pair. Kobe wouldn't have to force up so many shots with Melo being a second option and the same for Melo, and Steve Nash would just need to spot up and shoot an occasional floater.

Last edited:
Ska, I get your reasoning on Melo. Would you feel more comfortable with Melo, if he were surrounded with 2 other big pieces, that would assit him in his efforts?

Just as people claim Shaq/Pau carried Kobe's ballhogging/chucker ways?

That ease your pain a smidge?

By the way, not to cause some of you to jump off a bridge or anything, but it is possible that Kobe isn't on board with this stuff, and he and Melo meeting for dinner could also be Kobe leaving at the end of the season to go ball in New York with Melo.

He does love Madison Square, and if he thinks LA will take the last 2-3 years of his career to build, he may just go play on a grand stage with a good friend of his. Maybe invite Dirk along for the ride.

So it's not just a done deal that Melo joins us, just the link that was leaked out last night about it is all. Could be us reading it backwards.

Ya'll may resume jumping now.

I'm one of the biggest fans of Melo but he can't be THE GUY, he needs to have other parts around him. He's not Lebron.

Melo has a scoring style like Kobe's - but he's also exhibited a different style in the Olympics, where he's simply a deadly spot-up shooter. So for the two of them to co-exist, he'd need to become that.

Melo might be able to do that playing with Kobe, and possibly a third star. He hasn't been able to do that in NY even if he wanted; Amare isn't drawing attention and all the rest of the players are spot-up shooters themselves.

He would basically need to embrace becoming a secondary player. Not a guy who touches the ball all the time, but rather one who plays off of others.

Last edited:
By the way, not to cause some of you to jump off a bridge or anything, but it is possible that Kobe isn't on board with this stuff, and he and Melo meeting for dinner could also be Kobe leaving at the end of the season to go ball in New York with Melo.

He does love Madison Square, and if he thinks LA will take the last 2-3 years of his career to build, he may just go play on a grand stage with a good friend of his. Maybe invite Dirk along for the ride.

So it's not just a done deal that Melo joins us, just the link that was leaked out last night about it is all. Could be us reading it backwards.

Ya'll may resume jumping now.
I'm pretty sure Kobe knows that he has a lot of people that genuinely does not like him, but if he would leave us at this stage in his career, to NY of all places, he would be hated pretty much by everybody outside of NY. And a move like that will surpass the amount of burned jerseys Dwight and Lebron has combined.

Last edited:
:lol

Ain't nobody burnin no jersey's if 35 year old Kobe leaves after 18 damn years man in the middle of a rebuild. Come on man.

Tear, burning jersey's, you get the picture. It will be an emotional mess.

Kobe and Tim will be the last superstars to play for one team for their whole career.

Kobe will take less to stay in LA.

I'm Essential "Dwight staying" confident on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom