[::OFFSEASON OVER. Lock Please.::]

Which New Laker Acquisition Will Shine The Most This Upcoming Season?

• Jordan Farmar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nick Young

• Chris Kaman

• Elias Harris

• Wesley Johnson

• Ryan Kelly

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
CP or PMatic if you posted it in here already sorry

Could Kobe Bryant take a minimum contract in 2014 to help Lakers?
By Eric Pincus

July 10, 2013, 8:00 a.m.

Kobe Bryant has long maintained that winning a title is his only goal for each and every season. The All-Star guard has talked about playing at least three more years, to pad his "ring count."

Would he be willing to take a pay cut, like Tim Duncan did for the San Antonio Spurs or Kevin Garnett for the Boston Celtics -- both taking less than half of their maximum salaries?

How far would Bryant go?

Would he make the most dramatic financial sacrifice conceivable in 2014, taking a one-year minimum salary of $1.45 million to give the Lakers their absolute best chance to rebuild quickly in the wake of Dwight Howard's departure?

If Bryant is willing to make a sizable leap of faith, the Lakers might have the tools they need to manipulate the salary cap -- within the rules -- to an extreme advantage.

After a year with Bryant at the minimum, the Lakers would still have his "Bird rights," enabling the team to pay Bryant a maximum salary of $19.5 million for the 2015-16 season.

Averaged over two years, Bryant's sacrifice would be $10.5 million a season.

The catch for Bryant is that the Lakers won't be able to promise him that second year at the maximum. A pre-arranged deal would be illegal under the rules.

But if Bryant were to put his trust in the organization that traded for him in 1996, he could dramatically alter his chances at another title.

With just Steve Nash on the books for 2014-15, Bryant's maximum salary of $32 million would leave the Lakers with about $15.3 million in cap space (if they renounced the rights to Pau Gasol and the rest of the team's upcoming free agents). That's just not enough to rebuild the team properly.

At the minimum, Bryant would take up just $915,243 of the team's cap space, opening up $46.4 million in space with Bryant and Nash.

The Times has already broached two possible targets in LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony. James may be a long shot but Marc Berman of the New York Post writes that the Lakers could be a real option for Anthony. Both All-Star forwards would need to opt out of their contracts to become free agents.

The odds of even one coming to L.A. may be long, but the Lakers would have the space to take on both in 2014 if Bryant was signed at the minimum.

Paying James and Anthony around $20 million each in their first year could enable the Lakers to have up to $16.5 million in cap space in 2015, opening the door to players like Kevin Love, Marc Gasol, Rajon Rondo or LaMarcus Aldridge.

Because Bryant's "cap hold" in 2015 would be a meager $947,000, the Lakers could theoretically add two stars in 2014, one in 2015 -- and then re-sign Bryant for his $19.5 million.

A roster with James, Anthony, Love and Bryant would be nearly impossible to assemble, but it's mathematically possible by Bryant taking a minimum contract for 2014, a max deal in 2015 and accepting a $10.5 million average over the two seasons.

Duncan and Garnett both made big sacrifices to help keep their teams competitive. In Duncan's case, he finished the year just seconds away from his fifth championship.

If Bryant takes the same notion to the extreme, he has the power to set some serious possibilities in motion for the Lakers -- short-term sacrifice for another chance at an NBA title.

This is just as plausible a route... I can live with this one..

Yeah, I mentioned it this morning, but not the full article.

I like the idea, but risky, and I have no idea if he'd be cool with it.

i dont know man. all that mileage. hes rushing back too. something tells me hes gonna seriously injure himself again next year.

and you know damn well he aint gonna cut his minutes down

It's called business guys.

He cant just say "YEAH ILL TAKE 10 DOLLARS THAT YEAR"...

Even if he takes a paycut, we all know its not gonna be the minimum.
So he HAS to say that so that he can negotiate like he said.

Im sure it'll be a pay cut good enough to help us, but not massive enough to not make himself some money.

You have to realize that this guy sweats blood sweat and tears in the gym. He's going through massive rehab.
He works out every day. He practically lives in the gym.

The guys gonna kill himself to help the Lakers win a championship in 2014... working harder than anyone in the team.
And you expect him to just come out and say "Yeah I'll take less than everyone on this team even though im going to be putting in the most work."????

Is that how business is ran in this world? The hardest worker just decides to take minimum wage so that his coworkers can get richer?
Tell me where they do that at :lol:

Again, he'll take a cut im sure. It'll probably be between 8-14 million per year or something like that.
But he aint gonna take no damn 1.8 million VETERANS MINIMUM contract :rofl:

That ***** for the Antawn Jamisons of the world, not the Kobe Bryants.
So dont have such rediculous expecations. :smh:

And spare me with that "But kobes network is over 500 million he can afford to take a pay cut..." type stuff.
Is Jay-Z slowing down even though the guy's network is damn near really Half a Billion? Is he giving other rappers a chance to make money? Sure he's giving his team some shine...Cole, Wale, etc...his artists make their money, his whole teams winning. But he still has a daughter, family, friends, relatives, and a wife to feed. He doesnt stop working. He doesnt stop signing contracts. He doesnt stop collecting checks. He doesnt feel bad for anyone.

At the end of the day, whether you wanna help people out or not... you still gotta get your due.

How you gonna get mad at the man for wanting to be paid at least SEMI FAIRLY for the amount of work hes about to do for the franchise? Especially after killing himself to get back early after an achilles injury...especially when hes still putting up 27 a game shooting 45% at the age of 34. :lol:

He won't draw any FAs any other way than taking that huge paycut..

He wants a title, he wants to win.... He needs the team to have as much money as possible.

I agree he's worth $14mil a year. But he needs to take the 1 year min.. And with Bird Rights in 2015 sign a 1 year max. It allows us to show Lebron, Melo and whoever else that we are not ******g around.. We are trying to win.. Then Kobe makes up the money he was due.

The Jay-Z analogy doesn't work because his success isn't determined by other people's success.. Whereas Kobe's is and there is a finite amount of money.

Last edited:
Man, Melo, Kobe, Love, Marc Gasol, 2014 first round PG?????????

Kobe has GOT to read that article man. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And 19 mil at 36 WITH a true, true title contender (tho not guaranteed winner) is pretty insane for a guy already made 350+ mil in his overall lifetime.

Rondo, Kobe, Melo, LaMarcus, 2014 first round Center.

:lol: there's PLENTY of fallout type options that don't even include Bron or Wiggins.

But it starts with Mitch, Jim, his agent explaining the vision to him CLEARLY. Maybe Melo too.

Can we have Pau and Marc on the same team?

Pau, please sign minimum with Kobe.

Pau wouldn't because Lakers will never offer him $19mil again.. Especially if they have 2 max players. Then Kobe max in 2015. 4 guys making $80mil.. The tax would be ridiculous.. They won't do it for Pau.

I really think they should be at 6-8 mil.. And give him a No Trade Clause. He ends his career in LA, and doesn't have to worry about trade rumors.. That will definitely give us an opportunity to knock a couple mil off per year.

Pau as a 4th option at $8mil a year is great value.

Last edited:
Man, Melo, Kobe, Love, Marc Gasol, 2014 first round PG?????????

Kobe has GOT to read that article man. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And 19 mil at 36 WITH a true, true title contender (tho not guaranteed winner) is pretty insane for a guy already made 350+ mil in his overall lifetime.

Only problem is that if we do the 1 year min/ 1 year max plan... Our stars have to be on the team already. Because you wouldn't be able to add an extra max player in 2015 without renouncing Kobe's rights which defeats the purpose.

So 2014 you'd need to cut Nash, resign Kobe min, Pau at a discount w/ no trade clause, pickup the 2 stars we want for 4 years (I know where I stand).. Then we could fill in the lesser spots of the bench, and wait for a better 6th man in 2015.

Last edited:
No, Pau doesn't need to be part of the equation. Especially if they can flip him.

His scenario includes both Bron and Melo with a 16.5 max in 2015 being Rondo or Love, etc.

I have trouble with Kobe/Melo/Bron the 2-3-4 tho. Seems "odd". I kinda see it one or the other.

****, I was doing 1 max in 2014 and 2 in 2015, that's backwards.....

I'd have to look at what else there is. I don't see both Bron and Melo. I have trouble with Bron at the 4 full time.

Kobe and his arrogance.

The gift and the curse. It gets you 5 championships and at the same time it can set your franchise back.

Besides what said about the money, I really hope he takes his time to get back this season, he has no reason to rush back and go hard. He will injure himself again. That arrogance may kick in again tho.

It can't set us back, we don't "have" to sign him. If he demands too much, we pass. Simple as that.

Then you are signing 1 player then punting 2014 because you can only offer 1 year deals to leave space For 2015 then same for 2016

He just needs to sign a 2 year deal that's reasonable. The man can get whatever he wants overseas once he's done in the NBA.

He just needs to sign a 2 year deal that's reasonable. The man can get whatever he wants overseas once he's done in the NBA.

Under the scenario from previous page, we would want to one year at a time him, for best case flexibility.
Two year deal limits some moves we can make.

Then you are signing 1 player then punting 2014 because you can only offer 1 year deals to leave space For 2015 then same for 2016

Which scenario you referring to?

Going after Rondo / Love.

1 max in 2014 and Kobe max 2015 is 2/3 of the cap space. Can offer 1 more Max or a younger max to have $3-4 mil in space.

So 2014 can't have any contracts spill into 2015.

I know, I caught it. Have to max two in 14, and one in 15 then the Bird Rights max to Kobe.

I had the years flipped.

It can't set us back, we don't "have" to sign him. If he demands too much, we pass. Simple as that.

Is it really as simple as that?

Most of Laker nation would pour there eyes out if Kobe decided to sign somewhere else. A lot easier said than done, I don't think it's that simple at all.

I agree with you tho they'd have to let him walk, but we'll see how the Laker front office manage it. How much brass they really have.

Mitch and Jim know what they're doing.

The only thing you pray for is that they don't offer Sacre a 3 year 18 million dollar contract.

What about 1 max in 14 + Kobe + first rounder.
Then 1 max in 15, and instead of the extra max, two split level, Iguadola type deals for two players.

2014 first round
Kobe
Max 14
Max 15
9 mil guy

9 mil 6th man

That work rather than 3 maxes + Kobe and 14 first? Sort of deepens the pool a smidge. One less vet min bench guy for a stronger bench player.

Is it really as simple as that?

Most of Laker nation would pour there eyes out if Kobe decided to sign somewhere else. A lot easier said than done, I don't think it's that simple at all.

I agree with you tho they'd have to let him walk, but we'll see how the Laker front office manage it. How much brass they really have.

At 30, I kill them.

At 35 going on 36, I'm fine if he plays that card.

Lakers >>>>> Kobe's 19th-20th seasons.

At 30, I kill them.

At 35 going on 36, I'm fine if he plays that card.

Lakers >>>>> Kobe's 19th-20th seasons.

I completely agree with you. It's the right play.

I just don't know if the Lakers front-office would do it because most fans don't think like you do. Just questioning the simplicity of it all. It'd be a great poll question for this thread.

I know, I caught it. Have to max two in 14, and one in 15 then the Bird Rights max to Kobe.

I had the years flipped.

But Bird Rights Deals have to be done before non-team FA deals or else you have a cap hold.. Or else you'd have to renounce Kobe's rights and sign him for whatever option we have left.

Unless you convince Kobe 2 years at minimum. Then max in 2016.. But I don't think he'll go for that, nor do I really feel the need to keep him around past 2015-16 season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom