[::OFFSEASON OVER. Lock Please.::]

Which New Laker Acquisition Will Shine The Most This Upcoming Season?

• Jordan Farmar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nick Young

• Chris Kaman

• Elias Harris

• Wesley Johnson

• Ryan Kelly

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
should have signed D fish this off season. do you guys hear how excited KD was to get D fish? man D fish must be looking good at practice if KD said "I love it"

This from the writer:

Getting a bunch comments, so I'll explain. I didn't write about the stretch provision re: Nash bc 1. No team has used it. Using it means dead money lasts for more years 2. Barring a total breakdown, health-wise, Nash isn't the caliber of player you pay to go away.

I found stretch unlikely, so didn't mention. Used Scenario7 to illustrate implausibility of it happening

Even if the stretch provision is a real option, it all depends on Kobe wants and what the Lakers are willing to give.

If we take his comments about not taking paycuts at face value, the Lakers could very well move on despite the riots it would cause. They didn't align all the stars for a nearly emptied roster... just to fill it up with another $30 million Kobe contract.

And this pretty much guarantees Pau isn't coming back. We could write off Kobe coming back - especially given his comments - if he weren't Kobe Bryant.

I don't take Kobe's comments at face value though. If he tries to get more than $10-12 million he's out of his mind

Last edited:
Essential, what's good with that Grantland article basically saying we can't sign ANYONE to a max deal in 2014 :nerd:

Ignores Stretch Provision for Nash... Which opens up $6mil in extra money.

Also what PMatic said

So the math is right that if Kobe doesn't take a pay cut we're pretty much out of the running?

If he wants $30mil, he won't be in the NBA next year.

I edited in the math, so you may not have seen it... Nash being Stretch Provisioned, Cap Holds, Sacre.. And even signing Kobe to $15mil (or Pau & Kobe $15mil total) stil leaves us at $36mil in cap space..

$45mil is needed for Lebron & Melo... Which would mean you need $48mil.

Last edited:
First of all, Essential you're better than that. Please stop saying LeBron and Melo together.

NOT happening.
0% chance of LeBron.
1% chance of Melo.
So if you wanna speak of unrealistic chances, at least just mention Melo... :smh:

2nd of all... I told you guys LO is mentally screwed. Dudes about to get divorced and lose half his $$$$

You already know he's gonna be extra sad and soft all season long for whoever he plays for. So EASY pass on that reunion. I'd rather give those extra minutes to Ryan Kelly and let him develop.

This from the writer:

Getting a bunch comments, so I'll explain. I didn't write about the stretch provision re: Nash bc 1. No team has used it. Using it means dead money lasts for more years 2. Barring a total breakdown, health-wise, Nash isn't the caliber of player you pay to go away.

I found stretch unlikely, so didn't mention. Used Scenario7 to illustrate implausibility of it happening

Even if the stretch provision is a real option, it all depends on Kobe wants and what the Lakers are willing to give.

Pretty much confirms at the end of the day that his article a piece of crap.. Lakers really will prevent teaming Kobe & Pau with Lebron and Melo to keep 41 year old Steve Nash at $9.7mil... Please.

First of all, Essential you're better than that. Please stop saying LeBron and Melo together.

NOT happening.
0% chance of LeBron.
1% chance of Melo.
So if you wanna speak of unrealistic chances, at least just mention Melo... :smh:

2nd of all... I told you guys LO is mentally screwed. Dudes about to get divorced and lose half his $$$$

You already know he's gonna be extra sad and soft all season long for whoever he plays for. So EASY pass on that reunion. I'd rather give those extra minutes to Ryan Kelly and let him develop.

Nope. I'm saying together.. Not saying it's realistic... But that's the target... Not Melo, Not Lebron.. BOTH.

Melo is 50/50... I'll take Stephen A's word on it..

Lebron is the longshot.. But if you have Melo, Kobe, Pau.. And still have room for Lebron, without being financially immobile for 4 years.. Lebron will listen, because it is the best situation. Also add in that Melo & Lebron actually want to play on the same team.

Cards have to fall all in place... Longshot, but it has happened before.. And has happened recently.

This from the writer:

Pretty much confirms at the end of the day that his article a piece of crap.. Lakers really will prevent teaming Kobe & Pau with Lebron and Melo to keep 41 year old Steve Nash at $9.7mil... Please.

:lol: aiite I got it.Thanks.

Also why I say flip Pau at deadline for anything you can get.

I find it hard to believe LA cares about 3 mil in dead money for 3 years if it means maxing out 2 guys. We'll see tho.

Their ability to chase Lebron and Melo is way more dependent on Kobe and Pau taking massive paycuts than it is on stretching out Nash's contract...

The article paints a good picture of what needs to happen for the Lakers to actually have max money or 2x max money. It just happens to be stuck with a Bill Simmons-mandated "you dumb Laker fans can kiss your dreams goodbye" tone.

Essential I know you're a cup half full kinda guy. Your enormous optimism and faith in Dwight proved that.

But there is a 0...ZERO.... Zzzzeeerrrrrooo PERCENT chance LeBron joins Kobe to help him get more rings. This dude wants to catch up and pass both MJ and Kobe. He will not...absolutely NOT want to join Kobe's team. Kobe isn't Wade. He won't robin it up. Not even at 35.

Please man...we're already gonna go through an entire season of media frenzy about LeBron... Can we try not to constantly discuss it here?

It's not happening. I'll bet my screen name on it. Quote me i dont care. But it only applies if you stop bringing him up. LeBron is not joining the Lakers in 2014.

Also why I say flip Pau at deadline for anything you can get.

I find it hard to believe LA cares about 3 mil in dead money for 3 years if it means maxing out 2 guys. We'll see tho.

Pretty much; they're renouncing his rights with the quickness unless he takes a minimum contract right off the bat.
So unless the Lakers are making a magical old-guy run, might as well get rid of him.

Essential I know you're a cup half full kinda guy. Your enormous optimism and faith in Dwight proved that.

But there is a 0...ZERO.... Zzzzeeerrrrrooo PERCENT chance LeBron joins Kobe to help him get more rings. This dude wants to catch up and pass both MJ and Kobe. He will not...absolutely NOT want to join Kobe's team. Kobe isn't Wade. He won't robin it up. Not even at 35.

Please man...we're already gonna go through an entire season of media frenzy about LeBron... Can we try not to constantly discuss it here?

It's not happening. I'll bet my screen name on it. Quote me i dont care. But it only applies if you stop bringing him up. LeBron is not joining the Lakers in 2014.

Never forget :lol:

And I agree, Lebron ain't coming to LA. He'd rather go back to CLE than go here.

I won't discuss it during the season.... I was asked about the article.. Why? Because I know the numbers and CBA.

He joined Wade and inflated Wade's ring count. In 2010, Lebron's legacy was in the mix for Kobe & Wade's. Miami was Wade's team, and everyone knew it.. Just so happens as years progressed he took the team from Wade... Also I fail to see how coming to LA and getting Kobe rings after he's struggled to get #6 and absorbs the pressure after another superstar left hurts his legacy at all.

And we're also not talking about some weird struggle of power.. If Kobe is going to play with Lebron & Melo.. Even the ego of Kobe would back off.. It also shows he did back off because he was the one who made it possible.. Like he did in 2012 Olympics.. When he doesn't feel the necessity to do it all, he doesn't try to.. 2012-13 Lakers, he was forced to.

No one is saying it's happening... The cards are there... They play out where they may...

Also you can keep bringing up the Dwight stuff if you want.. But I was not the only one here during the season, hell most people were absolutely positively certain he returns to LA through the season (and I'm not talking about just this thread), nor was I the only one during the offseason.. I also softened my tune to it as the story progressed.. You really don't enhance credibility after adding it. You just try to score petty points as if I was the only one.

Last edited:
I thought Dwight was staying too.

I'm the sane one tho. Dwight is the one that looks foolish playing for 3 teams in 3 years, and in doing so ran from a perrenial contender known for winning over the course of 65 years to go play for a squad that tasted the 2nd round twice in 18 years. :lol:

Not to mention having an open cap situation to build around him, whereas the Rockets have Harden and Harden only for the next few years. (I hardly consider Chandler Parsons a difference maker in terms of "big 3's") But we'll see.

Ring counts don't matter to these players, aside from their own. I think people see the Kobe vs. Bron discussions nearly every day on NT and Youtube that they forget Kobe and Lebron actually don't care like that.

Bron joined Wade and Bosh on "Wade's team" because it was a path to a championship simple as that.

Dwight Howard is the only player I can think of that actually voiced concerns about who's team is who's. (Well and Kobe, but I stand that he was just saying that **** to see if it irked Dwight. Which it did)

I don't think Bron would consider LA but for other reasons. Not wanting to leave again; wanting to build a new era on the Heat rather than bolt; wanting to go back home to a team with its young star already there; etc. etc.

remember when they asked dwight whos team this is and he said its 'our' team.

They asked kobe the same question and without hesitation said its his team :lol:

Ring counts don't matter to these players, aside from their own. I think people see the Kobe vs. Bron discussions nearly every day on NT and Youtube that they forget Kobe and Lebron actually don't care like that.

Bron joined Wade and Bosh on "Wade's team" because it was a path to a championship simple as that.

Dwight Howard is the only player I can think of that actually voiced concerns about who's team is who's. (Well and Kobe, but I stand that he was just saying that **** to see if it irked Dwight. Which it did)

I don't think Bron would consider LA but for other reasons. Not wanting to leave again; wanting to build a new era on the Heat rather than bolt; wanting to go back home to a team with its young star already there; etc. etc.

Problem with the going home.. 1. Dan Gilbert 2. Those young stars will get plucked out of Cleveland very quickly..

Not Kyrie.. But he will be a max deal..

Waiters, Thompson.. Yes, they are restricted.. BUT you have to figure there's going to be a point that they don't match.

Seeing what happened to OKC is something he will remember... Very high ceiling, but like a team of old aging guys, a team with young draft picks has an expiration date because of the CBA. Gotta remember first team to get killed by the CBA wasn't a big market team who trades and routinely stays over the luxury tax, it was a small market team that drafted almost every player on the roster.

Last edited:
What do you guys think about worse trade of the last decade as the new poll?

I need a couple nominations. Right now I have:

-Kwame (and eventually Marc) for Pau
-Harden for Kevin Martin

If thats the case, change your avy to Lebron in a Heat uni. :smh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom