OG Nike Air Jordan III Retro True Blue BLACK FRIDAY '16

My comment doesn't contradict anything, prices can vary because of BOTH not either or. You're thinking one answer has to be correct, when it can be both.

Air Force 1s are $100 a pop and they weren't that back in the 90s and early 2000s, quit it.

Air Force 1s weren't between 80-100 in the 80s and 90s? I got white and black mids stolen in 1991 and they were $95. I remember vividly

Last edited:
Elephants would look a lot cooler if they actually did have a print on them. Gas and sleep deprivation got me thinking dumb ****

Last edited:
Just got off Nike chat and they gave me a 15% code when I showed them the poor quality. Especially the EP. Most likely going to go to the Nike outlet and return these. As I have my FTL pair on the way.

Quick question, how do I return these to the outlet if there's no invoice? Didn't come with your typical Nike invoice it just came with a Jordan brand printed paper that said "congrats on owning the blah blah blah

Last edited:
Here's another angle to take into consideration:

From 2008-2012, the economy was in a major recession and not until the last couple years did the economy really start to show signs of recovery. Hence, it would not make sense for Nike/JB to increase prices during a period when consumer spending and consumer confidence was at an all time low. Regardless of production costs (which I'm sure were curtailed during this period as well) or material usage, I'm pretty darn sure it was Nike's strategy to maintain price points for Jordan retros well below $200 because of the economic landscape at the time. As greedy as these companies are, they still had to play it smart in order to keep its customer base while sustaining profitability.

They could've easily raised prices back in '08-'12 too but why do so when you can test the market and slowly increase incrementally while gauging consumer reaction. Not to mention, Nike/JB realizing that the resell market was another market segment they could slowly tap into after seeing how much retros were going for in the resell arena after a huge wave of classics dropped (Space Jams in '09, Concords in '11, Cool Grey 11s in '10, all the 3's in '11, limited pairs such as Doernbechers and other collabs, etc etc).

Now that the economy has begun to show signs of strength, we have witnessed prices slowly being raised incrementally over the last couple of years (from $150 to $160 to $190 and now $220) while at the same time production numbers began to increase as well. The unequivocal response to an economy showing signs of recovery is when consumers and companies increase spending. 

Last edited:
Just got off Nike chat and they gave me a 15% code when I showed them the poor quality. Especially the EP. Most likely going to go to the Nike outlet and return these. As I have my FTL pair on the way.

Quick question, how do I return these to the outlet if there's no invoice? Didn't come with your typical Nike invoice it just came with a Jordan brand printed paper that said "congrats on owning the blah blah blah
Try showing them the confirmation email

Begging gets you nowhere in life

Plus people are using swoosh
I feel him though, but I don't think he begged, he asked but I wasn't going to..... just stay on my peanut butter sandwich

Last edited:
My comment doesn't contradict anything, prices can vary because of BOTH not either or. You're thinking one answer has to be correct, when it can be both.

Air Force 1s are $100 a pop and they weren't that back in the 90s and early 2000s, quit it.

Air Force 1s weren't between 80-100 in the 80s and 90s? I got white and black mids stolen in 1991 and they were $95. I remember vividly

Ignore him

He thinks it's all economics when it's not

Inflation is NOT the reason a pair of Jordan's has gone up 100% aka doubled in price

Plenty of shoes have pretty much remained at the same price or gone up slightly in the last 10-15 years.

Jordan's have gone up 50-100% in price because of hypebeasts and this so called remaster program which was the main reason for the jump in price

Price of materials hasn't gone up enough to warrant these huge price increases BECAUSE if it did, you would Notice it across the board with all brands.

Bring in your printed paper and you good. 

Nike should've have given you a 20% code but 15% is still better than 10%

Did you get 2 pair of TB? Been on the fence about icing one for later
I want 2 bad. But, I need to be responsible with the $ right now. And 2017 starts out with some must haves in the 1st quarter. I might be done for the year. If I get anything else, it will be the 9s.

I want 2 bad. But, I need to be responsible with the $ right now. And 2017 starts out with some must haves in the 1st quarter. I might be done for the year. If I get anything else, it will be the 9s.

I'm going to make a few trips to the outlet and if these can be had for $150. I will double up.

I'm surprised people think it has to be either inflation or materials for the price increase. Something as complex as a business usually is multifactoral.

Inflation exist because factories close, materials get made different, price increases and laws change to increase wage; so things are always changing which will effect the cost of premium products.

During the remastered release Jordan brand and even Tinker said they will try their best to bring back better quality and shape to retros but its hard because the factories they used in the 80s and 90s have closed.

Also Jordan brand and Nike dont make the leather themselves, they buy from other companies so their cost is directly related to the companies they outsource from. The Jordan xx8 is an example of how outsourcing effects the price becuase the zipper and outer was outsourced and that shoe costed 250. The xx9 used new flyweave and was less because they didnt have to outsource as much.

From a material and tech standpoint, people that complain that retros shouldnt cost as much new basketball shoes because of "new tech" don't know what they are balling in. Many retros have the same tech like zoom as in current products like LeBrons, Kobes, Kyries. They might shape it different but its the same tech. Plus hyperfuse found in many current models is way less expensive to make then using raw materials that require stitching.
When foams first came out they were 200 or something which was crazy for the time and the reason was because the mold was different from anything nike ever made. Foams are still one of the most expensive basketball shoes. Kobe 9 and Jordan xx8 both examples of how new molds make initial price hike but then price goes down because they get the necessary machines and material is inexpensive.

So the 220 price tag is from Nike buying better materials and getting a handcrafted shoe that cost more to make. True blues might not have the best material out of the remastered series but as a whole the remastered series has given us way better quality Jordans then the Jordans that have dropped in previous years. And comparing retros to new shoes is unfair because probably 60 of the new nike shoes are made by machines and with retros probably 60 percent is handmade.

Ignore him

Inflation is NOT the reason a pair of Jordan's has gone up 100% aka doubled in price

Plenty of shoes have pretty much remained at the same price or gone up slightly in the last 10-15 years.

Jordan's have gone up 50-100% in price because of hypebeasts and this so called remaster program which was the main reason for the jump in price

Price of materials hasn't gone up enough to warrant these huge price increases BECAUSE if it did, you would Notice it across the board with all brands.
this means all shoes cost the same as they did in 1988 then

Ignore him

this means all shoes cost the same as they did in 1988 then

Not at all?

How come Jordan's are the only ones that have gone up 50-100% in just 10 or so years? [emoji]129300[/emoji]

When I get new shoes I wear them for a week to break them in then wear my others shoes. So I'm not sure how my shoes look beat.
Considering how much of a snug fit these TB3s are, this is probably the wisest thing to do.  At the very least, you'll be able to fit in your TB3s with ease after they've been broken in.

I'm surprised people think it has to be either inflation or materials for the price increase. Something as complex as a business usually is multifactoral.

Inflation exist because factories close, materials get made different, price increases and laws change to increase wage; so things are always changing which will effect the cost of premium products.

During the remastered release Jordan brand and even Tinker said they will try their best to bring back better quality and shape to retros but its hard because the factories they used in the 80s and 90s have closed.

Also Jordan brand and Nike dont make the leather themselves, they buy from other companies so their cost is directly related to the companies they outsource from. The Jordan xx8 is an example of how outsourcing effects the price becuase the zipper and outer was outsourced and that shoe costed 250. The xx9 used new flyweave and was less because they didnt have to outsource as much.

From a material and tech standpoint, people that complain that retros shouldnt cost as much new basketball shoes because of "new tech" don't know what they are balling in. Many retros have the same tech like zoom as in current products like LeBrons, Kobes, Kyries. They might shape it different but its the same tech. Plus hyperfuse found in many current models is way less expensive to make then using raw materials that require stitching.
When foams first came out they were 200 or something which was crazy for the time and the reason was because the mold was different from anything nike ever made. Foams are still one of the most expensive basketball shoes. Kobe 9 and Jordan xx8 both examples of how new molds make initial price hike but then price goes down because they get the necessary machines and material is inexpensive.

So the 220 price tag is from Nike buying better materials and getting a handcrafted shoe that cost more to make. True blues might not have the best material out of the remastered series but as a whole the remastered series has given us way better quality Jordans then the Jordans that have dropped in previous years. And comparing retros to new shoes is unfair because probably 60 of the new nike shoes are made by machines and with retros probably 60 percent is handmade.
I'm sorry but if inflation cost rise, then they need to increase revenue also, but again the cost of production can play a part which does not exclude inflation to yield revenue, but they began the debate by excluding the cost of materials, it's many varying factors, but some people in here excluded both production overhead and inflation as acceptable reasons for price hike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom