OG Sneakerheads vs Noobs

I was starting to SMH at the noobs until I realized that we all take this way to seriously. I think I'm going to start trollin my fellow "OGs" and start calling them Breds, Black Concords, and Blockbuster V (I just read this today but that nickname is actually quite impressive as Blockbusters started shutting down a few years before the noobs started buying kicks)

p.s. can't wait till this goes the way of trading cards, comic books, Pokemon, and jerseys (Jersey-central.org ftw). The fad dies, but the true fans still live on and get back everything the noobs kept DS at retail or less.

:rofl: word.

plus you comparing chuck taylor who BARELY PLAYED BALL PROFESSIONALLY to the G.O.A.T.

Seriously. Look up Chuck Taylor basketball career, you can't find ANYTHING. No box-scores, nothing....Dude was part of a traveling "pro" team who he was a player-manager for.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Q9...q=chuck taylor basketball career stat&f=false

All due respect, he had some other very valid contributions to the game. However, the argument dude was trying to make is completely moot without any semblance of fact-checking. Truth is Chuck Taylor was an inventor, a business man, a coach and a manager. He LIED about being a champion though to market his shoes. The myth grew, people bought it and the rest is history.

So it's a completely invalid comparison to begin with. Ya'll dudes man.
Chucks marketing from back then is still generating sales today, just like JBs marketing is doing for Air Jordan's. Neither plays ccurrently and that's my point. It has nothing to do with championships.

It's really just different eras that separates OGs and newer collectors. It's the same thing with car collectors. Some guys might have a fire collection of muscle and vintage because that era produced better quality vehicles, while some collectors only pickup the latest model every year because they like the reliability and the hype of a brand new car. 

Basically, to an OG this shoe means something and to a newer collector this means nothing.

To a newer collector this shoe means something and to an OG it means nothing.

Damn, so much to speak on since I last posted. I gotta read through again. P4L

OGs don't use the term breds.
smokin.gif
This. I have never used this and never will

OGs are just the hipsters of the sneaker world 
nerd.gif
You can't make that assumption. You have those frauding like they're OG, but don't know anything. Then you have those with real knowledge who were around as things unfolded. 

Concords = Oreo spacejams
Columbia XI = White out gamma XI
Any black/red jordans = "Bred"
Bulls XII = Cherry XII

The list goes on.
 Dont forget this one.... Laney 5's = Blockbuster 5's
Another stupid nickname. This is what it has been reduced to. Gimmick colorways, limited releases, and lazy nicknames. Welcome to Nike/JB's new marketing campaign.
This is a great topic with great points on each side. [emoji]128079[/emoji]
Truth is newer generation doesn't understand the setimental value some of these models, stories of not being able to afford them back then like we can now just to give an example. I guess it's similar how we won't fully understand our parents point of view on certain things in life.
The fact is that the "OG's" in the shoe game well We are getting old.
It's a shame what demand of the newer generation brings like awful concepts, and color ways but at the same time we get classics that were once relics.
This. I buy retro jordans now, why? Because when I was younger my parents feared me getting beat up and having my shoes taken from me on my way to school. So I missed out on the original AJ run.

i think it goes both ways, on one had people dont care as much about the stories behind the shoes but on the other hand back in the 90s pretty much every CW or jordans that came out could be linked to a memorable MJ moment. 

these days kobes/lebrons/kds have 1231 fruity cws that have nothing to do with the players or teams so its harder to make those connections

no idea why they stopped making lakers cws for kobe shoes 
mean.gif
CW's should go back to basics, home, away, all star game.
i just don't like the people in it just for the money...yeah there's a lot of money to be made, but it really hurts the people who actually like the sneaker...whether it's a diehard collector or just a dude who wants a fresh pair of shoes on their feet
Exactly but capitalist society won't allow it. It sucks.
since "sneakerhead" is a frowned upon term.....what's the correct term?
There is no term. Some just use it as an identifier for them to fit in.

It's really astounding to me how jb can release the same show over and over and it will continually sell out. Put a nike air on the back, raise the price by 50 and somehow they have people convincing themselves the price hike was just because quality on this sneaker is better than the pair released two years prior.

I mean how many version of a black red jordan 1 have been released the last dew years and it still sell out.
Agreed.

I think the OG colorways of the older models can keep re-releasing until the end of time and that is fine.

It'll only get worse for the younger guys when they start retroing Lebrons and Kobes and KDs. Factor in that those lines get already 15 or so colorways per model, I'm not even sure how many retro plus colorways will be made.
All I really want are OG cw for the most part.

When KD's, Lebron's, Kobe's retro, they're going to have so many colors to pick it's ridiculous. Nike is setting people up now. Imagine people liking the Christmas Lebron 8, then waiting until he retires, retros 2 out of 50 colors in that shoe, then out of nowhere drops the christmas 8's. Which isn't even a good cw if you ask me.

i dont think most people know that foams are basketball shoes
I don't think so either. So much got lost.

Yeah I think shoes from back in the day resonate with older cats because of Nike's advertising back then and actually witnessing players exploits wearing those particular shoes... you just don't get that anymore.  The players from the 90's had so much personality (manufactured or not) and the marketing was all new and never seen before.

Really, I can't get with designer "sneakers" like Louboutins, Margiela's or Lanvin's or whatever... there's no story behind them and functionally they will never justify the price
They did have personality. All of them. What is lost now is the fact that they knew who to pick. Why? They let the player's talent dictate the marketing campaign. Bo Jackson, MJ, Griffey, Sanders were all prolific athletes that gained attention with their on field play FIRST. Then Nike took notice and built a campaign around them, building them up. Later on, it got flipped and they were giving out deals before the star even proved himself (LeBron). Luckily Lebron worked but it wasn't organic because he got his "brand" even before he had really done anything.
I'm 31. I buy what I like. I also wear a bigger size so it's really rare that I have to line up.

I despise resellers. I've seen a dude get KTFO during the Space Jam release walking out of Finish Line yelling FO HUNNERT while waving the box above his head. Dude I knew checked his chin, gave him a lil' Shogun stomp, put 2 bills on his chest & walked away like nothing happened.
This was funny to me

I love seeing people's collections and hearing the stories behind each pair they got
How it much it meant to them
How long they waited for them

Me not being a collector - seeing such rare pieces - its pretty amazing

....All that being said. If I ever hear anyone say the word "sneakerhead" let alone refer to themselves as a "sneakerhead"
You are getting a
indifferent.gif
eyes.gif
People have no stories behind them, because now people only want what's limited. Look at how non limited or hyped retros that aren't Jordan's sit.

There is no I always wanted these or I had these in elementary/junior high school. The people who do that are older.

The story is how they camped out for so and so hours or they spent three hours attempting to add to their cart.

Literally in 2013, if it don't make dollars, it don't make sense[DJ Quik] to these young dudes. They don't buy what they like, they buy what they think others may like. That's why it's nothing to them to trade or sell their sneakers.
Exactly, that's the story. They were limited, I have them and you don't, so I get to sell them for 300% markup 
mean.gif

I know this question has probably been asked mad times but...seriously. I've been  into kicks since a young'n...wouldn't label myself a sneakerhead but I love them. I've noticed cats being able to get releases with ease...left and right while others...like me...can never cop what they really want. Is there some sort of method or do these cats just know people..? I hope its just through relentless work and persistence..if that the case..I'm not even mad.

aka...I need help getting those Kobe's on the 11th

Last edited:
I know this question has probably been asked mad times but...seriously. I've been  into kicks since a young'n...wouldn't label myself a sneakerhead but I love them. I've noticed cats being able to get releases with ease...left and right while others...like me...can never cop what they really want. Is there some sort of method or do these cats just know people..? I hope its just through relentless work and persistence..if that the case..I'm not even mad.

aka...I need help getting those Kobe's on the 11th

connections...bots.....a lot of these dudes should be working in the Pentagon the way they are able to hijack the servers on release day...:smh:

magic1978 aka king of all sneaker knowledge says that jordans started being retroed in 1992?

this is the guy who told me "i know more about sneakers than you will ever know"(once again real humble guy)

seems like a rookie mistake to me.

beh235 you would probably get bored with just og cws(most of us would).retro plus cws are fine.like i have already said not everyone who likes sneakers needs a connection between colorway and the player who wore them.

magic1978 aka king of all sneaker knowledge says that jordans started being retroed in 1992?

this is the guy who told me "i know more about sneakers than you will ever know"(once again real humble guy)

beh235 you would probably get bored with just og cws(most of us would).retro plus cws are fine.like i have already said not everyone who likes sneakers needs a connection between colorway and the player who wore them.
Nah, personally I like the original colorways by and large. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate some new CW or any retro+ cw. When I look back at my closet and look at what I actually did purchase it's mostly original colorways. That speaks to me and what I want the MOST. I might like certain new colorways, but ultimately it might not have a classic look to me. OG colorways will always be classic to me. It just reminds me of certain things done in that shoe that's all, but I guess as stated, that's the connection you have to the shoe. For me, it's more of a basketball fan rather than an MJ fan, I don't only buy original cw of jordans. I like original colorways of all basketball sneakers. 

What? Who are you?

Exactly, this how important and memorable you are to me Mr I don't see why people have such strong connections to sports. Any man should know why men like sports.

You need to do a better job of trolling, you're even bad at that. Some of us have real hobbies, and yours is acting like a 12 year old the computer.

What? Who are you?

Exactly, this how important and memorable you are to me Mr I don't see why people have such strong connections to sports. Any man should know why men like sports.

You need to do a better job of trolling, you're even bad at that. Some of us have real hobbies, and yours is acting like a 12 year old the computer.
you gotta crush on me bro? LOL

dont talk yourself up so much if you cant back it up.you make lame points and think your smarter than most when your really not.

see the problem is ...when ever someone is wrong they would rather sling insults than say they are wrong.i guess im a troll now because im opinionated and knowledgeable. 

its really my fault this guy is a clown??

ummm ...you got something to say beh235 or blastercombo?
Listen man, I don't know what it is with you. I have no problem with you and we're not going to do this in two threads. Why are you getting so defensive? You're reacting to a gif, a damn GIF. You two can disagree, but keep it civil man. That's all I'm asking. You're not 12, grow up. 

I don't mind talking to people about sneakers, whether you know each and every jordan release since 1985, or you just started getting into them 3 weeks ago. If you're a decent person, that's all that matters. Your knowledge on sneakers doesn't define you as a person, ultimately.

Unfortunately, some "sneaker heads" have this unnecessary "cool guy" attitude for no reason. Just walk into flight club for example. You have employees walking around all nasty for no reason. 

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom