OG VS. The Retro Vol. They are NOT the same !!

I'm new to Jordan been buying for a year old and new retroes
I rock so I would bring myself to buy an ogbecause it would most likely crumble.
I believe jb is hit and miss with retros for example dtrs were close minus the leather
I mean it's small changes but what angers me is ugly cws on great models for ex
Vi Olympic the fruity versions

I have respect for og heads but complaints about Nike air should stop
Now I would love to see it on future retros but it will like not happen jb
Is it's own bran aside from Nike it wants to establish that that's why imo
Rip Nike air ...but I dream like everyone else but come on no more talks about
Nike air until we see it happen

I'd like to get in my 2 cents too, and i'll try to keep it as short and simple as i can, doubt it

Being a multi millionaire company, JB can definitely have the resources to retro a pair of OG Jordans to the exact replica if they wanted to. But the idea is,why should they retro something exactly the way it was when released a decade ago?

Dont lie to yourself, and im talking about the OG heads. You mean to tell me the OG XIIs did not feel like a tank on your feet? That the OG VII did not havealot of ankle support? Or the OG XI were extremely uncomfortable on the court?

Techonology advancement occurs daily and JB is MORE than capable of retroing a pair of Jordans with the same exact shape, colorway, and of course, quality.

Im sure if this was the case, the old and new heads would not mind. Why would anyone be upset about a quality pair of Jordans being released in an OG/decentretro+ colorways?

And raise the price if you want to JB. No one would testify against the better products that you are bringing to the table.

Hell, scrap all the OG colorways. Keep on altering the colors and the designs. Call them Flu Game, plus, special, LE,.... all you want

But please don't raise the price if the materials you are using get worse and worse everyday.

The equation should be be inversed. OK? Higher suggested retail should equal to higher expectation, which means, higher quality.

Retro are NOT to be the SAME as OG.

Retro should be a BETTER version of OG. They should be upgraded. All thh flaws in the OGs, should not be found in the retros. And the price should stay thesame even if these flaws were to be corrected. As consumers, we are entitled for a better product.

Now if they decide to throw in extra Zoom air Unit that'll make me feel like walking on air, put in some flywire to take some weight off the shoes, or addREAL elephant skin on 'em
roll.gif
then by all means, DO! And i'll paythe extra $25-50

But they're not doing any of that. They're cutting crap out of card board, construction paper, reclyling bins and make the CDPs out of these materials.

Im done
laugh.gif

I regret not coming into this post sooner.

If you believe for one minute that JB cant produce an accurate retro, you're a new fool....
Killed it right there.
pimp.gif

There ain't no way anyone can tell me JB can't get the colors right or materials... cows are cows, leather is leather... if McDonalds can make theburger taste the same for 50+ years JB can make a shoe in at LEAST the same quality for 20 years.
Retro should be a BETTER version of OG.
Should, should be the word in CAPS because currently they are NOT a better version and not even an "as good" a version.

Where does it say that Retros are supposed to be better/enhanced than OGs because I'm curious?

Originally Posted by DMoney82

First of of all do you guys realize that it is hard as hell to get the colors and materials down to the exact science 20 years later. Retros are an enhancement of the OG version. How in the hell can you make an exact copy of something when you no longer use the same materials, colors ect. you did 20 years ago? I hate when people think that a retro and an OG are and should be the same. An OG can't be a retro and a retro can't be an OG. There are gonna be a few different changes and details in a retro. Even with all of our technology today, it is hard to make a carbon copy of a 69' Mustang in 2009. Do you get what I'm saying?

Accept and respect the retro.......

There is a difference between the retro and and altered version of an OG as such as the Infrared 6's soon to be released. So you can't confuse the two.

Input is appreciated.
I agree with you to a certain level. In some cases, the products from the past can be better improved. The materials of retros are much moredurable in some cases which would allow the shoe to last longer than what the original. Sure they are two different things, but some times Retros are just asgood or better. OG are more highly respected due to it being the first. Now that doesnt mean that the retros are wack, its just ppl love and remember the OGverison of the shoe. Now example, the Infrared VI is being retroed for the second time. I personally like the first retro from 2000. The OG didn't appealto me and this new retro does not either. And to add to that, I dont know who told you they dont have the same materials to remake the same colors and suchbecause that is pure BS. The elements and materials used to create those colors and shoes still exist. What really may have changed is the method to how theshoe is mad. That is a variable that could effect the way the shoe looks. But from a marketing aspect of the selling of Retros isn't to provide a lesserquality, but it is to introduce the shoe to a younger crowd and gain new fans of the brand while still maintaing the rarity of the OG shoes. If they made EXACTcopies of the OG shoe, then the value of the shoe depreciates thus killing the rarity of the shoe. That all affect's their profits and their crediblity asa brand. Those are some things you need to think about.

Originally Posted by homer420

stop whining people. either cop or not! whining but still copping is getting lame...

Meh, its better to discuss it than ignore it man. Personally, I cop what I like. So yea that does me I own a pair of fusions(AJF5 grey and bright cactus) looksgood to me and there are many ways to rock it. But that does not make me a hypebeast or any less of a sneaker head. I still own OG's and Retros and wearand collect all types of shoes. The fact of the matter is, wear what you like. If others don't like what you wear, they are either jealous cause they donthave their own style or they just want to annoy you. Its your money and you like what you like and nobody has the right to tell you what looks good or badunless you ask them. Buy what you love and let things flow.

my only real complaint is charging us more but lower the quality. i am probably in the majority with i don't mind spending the increase if i'll begetting a better quality product but to get burned time and time again is disappointing. Thanks JB we appreciate it. Keep giving us what we want. Can't getenough of those fusions!
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by airedweezy

I have respect for og heads but complaints about Nike air should stop
Now I would love to see it on future retros but it will like not happen jb
Is it's own bran aside from Nike it wants to establish that that's why imo
Rip Nike air ...but I dream like everyone else but come on no more talks about
Nike air until we see it happen

Sorry, this is such an ignorant comment. No Offense. But Common sense will tell you why? 1. If JB thought the swoosh or Nike Air was taking away from theirbottom line, then they wouldnt be retroing a million different colorways of the AJ 1. They are waiting for the right time to use NA on the III-VI again. 2. JB is already established. They are one of the most recognizable brands in the world. No need to prove their existence by removing the sign that got themtheir in the first place.

And last but not least. If JB was really a different separate company from Nike as a ton of people on here insist, they would not use anything associated toNike, especially the one factor that makes a nike/JB shoe. THE AIR UNIT.

Now, I want Nike Air on all OG colorway III's - VI's. Thats how the shoe was made, thats how it should stay. How would you feel if they put Nike Airon the back of the X's, instead of a jumpman. It would look stupid and out of place. Just like the Jumpman on the AJ 1's now. Thats how I feel aboutthe jumpman on the III-VI.

i hear you but i'm not hearing you...

i think we all understand the OG vs Retro idea but you need to address the quality difference between say a retro from 94 or 2000 and the retros we've beengetting lately. THAT's the problem.

a Retro vs Retro topic is more relevant.

Originally Posted by swingshot

Retros are an enhancement of the OG version. .

Reminds me of a post from the other day. It pointed out that the Retro XII has better cushioning, but poorer materials compared to OGs.

Retro doesn't always mean lesser quality... and some of the OG Jordans weren't great quality to begin with, but some of the Retros turned out
over the years haven't been up to scratch.
Co-sign. Dudes really want the XI's like the OG's? even MJ himself said they hurt his feet in the toe area, along w/ the X's. And ifX's were released OG OG, yall'd be complainin about the extra piece on the toe area, now wouldnt yall????

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

Originally Posted by swingshot

Retros are an enhancement of the OG version. .

Reminds me of a post from the other day. It pointed out that the Retro XII has better cushioning, but poorer materials compared to OGs.

Retro doesn't always mean lesser quality... and some of the OG Jordans weren't great quality to begin with, but some of the Retros turned out
over the years haven't been up to scratch.
Co-sign. Dudes really want the XI's like the OG's? even MJ himself said they hurt his feet in the toe area, along w/ the X's. And if X's were released OG OG, yall'd be complainin about the extra piece on the toe area, now wouldnt yall????
smh.gif
apparently youhaven't read some of the finer posts on here that makes more sense than your post.

Some great material on here. Very refreshing to see in a forum that's on life support....

OP's topic backfired big time though.
laugh.gif

JB is rediculous nowadAYS , ive stopped buying retro's and just managed to find steals here and there. theyres these white red banana 12s releaing soon,the concept is awesome, the shape of the shoe for example is horrible. i wish theyll stop worrying whats on task for later , and handle the shoes on deck .Were paying top dollar so why give us some $$#+ half $+%

Originally Posted by shoegallery

JB is rediculous nowadAYS , ive stopped buying retro's and just managed to find steals here and there. theyres these white red banana 12s releaing soon, the concept is awesome, the shape of the shoe for example is horrible. i wish theyll stop worrying whats on task for later , and handle the shoes on deck . Were paying top dollar so why give us some $$#+ half $+%

What do you mean exactly by "top" dollar? What exactly are you implying if I may ask?

I've always said that I have no problem with letting them turn the gates loose for their retro+ experiments. Sometimes it actually works out, i.e. French Blue VII's and XII's, Black/Silver II's. Sometimes it's legendary like the CG XI. Most timesit's a fail, but I don't blame them for trying. However, if you're passing off a OG colorway as a retro and it's changed up, then it'sjust as much a retro+ as all the new colors.

If they re-release Nightmare on Elm Street with Freddie Mac wearing a cardigan instead of the classic OG red/green stripedsweater, would you consider it a re-release? Like was mentioned earlier, what it so hard about proofreading? This is why you have look-see samples. Get 5-6pictures of the OG and compare them to the sample for height, color, shape, placement, etc. and make sure they match up. Hell, they don't even have to be100% accurate; I can settle for 95%. Everyone was commenting on the red hue of the CDP XI soles. Yes, it was different from the '01s. Was it that big adeal, no. Now the shape and quality of the leather - definitely an issue.

I hear and understand what some of you are saying about the "ehh, don't like, don't buy" argument, butremember this - some people cop for more than style. A lot of people collect for sentimental reasons or because they are a fan of the man in the logo. Indiglo XIV's are my grails because they not only were the best color of the XIV's (IMO) but because they were the first Jordans I bought with my owncash after getting my first summer job. So if they retro the Indiglos with the shape all off, the color actually Mint green and go all Nubuck for the wholeshoe, then I'm gonna be pretty damn mad. And it's not about "don't cop if you don't like", but the fact that I really want to cop,but can't justify the cop. I waited a very long time for the Military IV's only to get one of the worst quality shoes I've ever purchased from JB. It's like your favorite rapper or singer losing the hunger; you really want to hear the same desire they used to have and admittedly will settle for theweaker version, but really feel unsatisfied compared to what could be if they just tried harder at what should be quite easy to accomplish.

the problem is when they aren't even trying to match anything specifically, like when OG leather turns to Retro tumbled leather, in the same shoe...

or nubuck turns to suede...

or (the most obvious to someone) the NIKE AIR turns into a Jumpman (AIR)

or worse yet... when an OG AIR JORDAN turns into.... A FUSION!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by AirJordanVI

99 Jordan IV is pretty on point to OGs, then compare to 08 Jordan IV.
Which made me soooooo mad. I was waiting for these to release, i seen these in person, saw the 2 DIFFERENT Grey eyelets on the wings. I was likewhat the hell is this?
sick.gif

I know it wasnt gonna b up to par with the 99s but gotdamn, at least get the wings right.
smh.gif

i never complain about quality, but you should get what you pay for. 150.00 dollar shoes should feel like 150.00. Not like way less

Back
Top Bottom