Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

TDK trilogy is actually pretty similar to Star Wars.

First movie tells the origins and sets the stage for this new universe we're in. Most people love the 1st one.

Second movie takes the story to a bigger and darker place. Widely praised and considered the best, ends on a darker note.

Third movie is still good, but no ones favorite over the 1st two. Still some great moments (Luke/Vader/Emperor, Batman/Bane's first fight, Catwoman, Jabba, etc.) but definitely more weak moments (Ewoks, the big "reveal" of Talia, etc.)

So one great movie, one considered as perfect as you can get, then one good but flawed movie. 

I can see some people being uninterested in the Star Wars saga if you're an adult going in fresh. If you didn't watch it as a kid or as a teen/adult back in the day, it will likely not hold the same weight. I don't know too many huge Star Wars fans who first saw the OT as adults/teens in modern times and became huge diehards. So that's a small part of it. Then it's the feeling that "Oh, I've seen all this before" because so much of the movies are part of our pop culture history and since it was one of the first blockbusters, it doesn't have the same impact as if you saw it originally. 

Then there's people who just have no interest in sci-fi, space, fantasy, anything like that. Despite Star Wars being a very basic and universal kind of story (that happens to be told in space) shouldn't make it less accessible to all kinds of people.. but it can still turn off some people. So they push it aside and lump it with anything  that's got some space/fantasy/etc element in it. To some people, Star Wars = Star Trek = Battlestar Gallatica = Lord of the Rings = Dungeons and Dragons. While I couldn't disagree more, that's the opinion I've gotten from a lot of people. Despite "nerd culture" becoming mainstream, there's still people who have never been interested in anything like that, and no amount of watching, convincing, or debate changes that.

I do think, however, there will be a lot more fans of the new movies. They might not go back and love the OT, but they'll see TFA and be wowed.. then follow-up with the standalone movies and come back for Episode VIII. Telling the new stories, with modern filmmaking techniques, style, effects, with enough connection to the past to satisfy the old fans, and it'll be a great transition to the new generation.

First movie was made in 1977.. But it still holds up, special effects and all.. Same with jaws

The original trilogy looks far more real than those crap movies made afterwards

There are some movies which have aged horribly, Star Wars original trilogy isn't amongst them

I don't know about that.

I said I just re-watched the OG (in preparation for Ep VII) and I can totally see why ppl would call it average and not see what the fuss is about.

I stuck with it cuz of story. That still holds up but the visuals? The actions does not. It went from all wild with the blasters to slow and boring with the lightsaber fights. I know George has some explanation but I still don't like how some of those fights were so slow paced :lol:

Last edited:
Lightsaber fights in the OT weren't as much an action scene as a duel between the two characters, their motivations, story, etc.

I think there's a balance between what we saw in the OT and prequel movies (where the lightsaber fights were over-choreographed and visually distracting at times). 

They didn't overly rely on the special effects, which allows the movies to hold up

Which is why I compare the movie to jaws.. Or back to the future.. Movies that had special effects, but still hold up

The prequel duels were all action driven drivel cuz that's all they had.

The OG duels were dialogue driven, speeches from Ben, Vader taunting Luke, etc.

the prequel fights were just standard action movie visuals. everyone has pretty much the same fight style, the plot advances at the end of the fight when we see who wins.

the GOAT lightsaber fight at the end of ESB is perfect. even if you know nothing about the characters going into the fight, just by watching it you learn a lot about the characters. luke is aggressive and inexperienced, vader is the master and just toying with the kid. Luke is going all out trying to defeat vader, vader is curious and wants to see luke's potential. throughout the entire fight you know that luke has no chance and vader slowly backs him into a corner and disarms him.

It's interesting and a great duel because you are learning about characters along the way. at the end of the fight you can describe the motivations, fighting style and experience level of the characters.

in the prequel fights its just people moving fast, using the same moves on eachother and eventually someone wins. other than knowing who is the better fighter there is no insight into the character, only mindless action.

the best part of the phantom menace duel was ironically the part where they were not fighting. the walls go up and quigon sits down and meditates while maul acts like a caged animal stalking his prey. Just from that scene we learn more about the characters than the entire fight. 

Pacing-wise the OT is pretty slow by today's standards... Some scenes are really drawn out, and both SW and ESB take a while to really get going. I can see where it would be hard for someone trying to get into them today. But it's also the reason why they built a huge universe/large amount of lovable characters

Pacing-wise the OT is pretty slow by today's standards... Some scenes are really drawn out, and both SW and ESB take a while to really get going. I can see where it would be hard for someone trying to get into them today. But it's also the reason why they built a huge universe/large amount of lovable characters
yeah, back then more time and effort was put into character development (like the first rocky movie). People need to understand that you need to establish and develop characters that the audience is invested in before throwing in tones of mindless action. 

if apolo creed was just an one off villain that rocky beats no one would care about his son and this new movie. but because they took the time to develop his character and create an actual person rather than a one dimentional boxer we care about his son.

the slow pace of the OT is why everyone gets excited when han solo comes on screen in an ep 7 trailer. if it was some prequel character no one would really care because there is nothing about the characters that is likeable. 

the reason avengers movies work so well is that they are able to go straight to action, because they have already had a bunch of movies that make us care and love the characters. When these guys go out to battle we are rooting for them and it actually means something when it seems like all hope is lost. 

$30 for 2 tix.

Thursday night @ 8

3D

Cannnnnnnnn.

Nnnoootttttt.

WWWAAAAAAIIITTTTTT!!!!!!

darth vader is lukes father.

[quote name="lawdog1"]The final hoops scene in the OG Teenwolf is one of the most ludicrously awesome segments in movie history. Who'd have thought basketball being played by a bunch of guys who suck at it could be so compelling?
There's a Lakers joke in there somewhere.[/quote]

:lol: :smh: |I

4 5 6 7

thats the current best order 

3 > 4

finally saw mission impossible 5. i enjoyed it. liked the build up and crazy stunts. only issue i had was with the villain. dude was bunz and his weak godfather voice didnt help. i think that waltz would of been great in that role. expected more action at the end. felt there was another 5 minutes of fighting instead of shooting and hiding. 6.5/8

[thread="287925"]Oh Im Sorry Did I Break Your Conversation Well Allow Me A Movie Thread By S T/47700#post_24766106​[/thread]
4 5 6 7

3 > 4
how sway?

I started ep 3 30 minutes ago and only lasted 15 minutes before turning it off 
laugh.gif
4 is kinda boring. i like 3 cause its a darker tone and the creation that is papi vader.
intro of vader

intro of han/luke/leia

getting to know the characters

overall effects and cinematography 

wise old ben kenobi

all great 
pimp.gif

[thread="287925"]​[/thread]
4 5 6 7

3 > 4
how sway?

I started ep 3 30 minutes ago and only lasted 15 minutes before turning it off :lol:

4 is kinda boring. i like 3 cause its a darker tone and the creation that is papi vader.
intro of vader

intro of han/luke/leia

wise old ben kenobi

all great :pimp:

we still have the lakers to agree on :\

[thread="287925"]Oh Im Sorry Did I Break Your Conversation Well Allow Me A Movie Thread By S T/47700#post_24766106​[/thread]
4 5 6 7

3 > 4
how sway?

I started ep 3 30 minutes ago and only lasted 15 minutes before turning it off 
laugh.gif

intro of vader

intro of han/luke/leia

wise old ben kenobi

all great 
pimp.gif
we still have the lakers to agree on
ohwell.gif
and episode 7 
nerd.gif
pimp.gif

[thread="287925"]​[/thread]
4 5 6 7

3 > 4
how sway?

I started ep 3 30 minutes ago and only lasted 15 minutes before turning it off :lol:

intro of vader

intro of han/luke/leia

wise old ben kenobi

all great :pimp:

we still have the lakers to agree on :\
and episode 7 :nerd: :pimp:

mortalkombatgetoverherebrohug.jpg

finally watched The World's End last night.

Its my least favorite of the Cornetto trilogy. That's not to say it wasn't funny but i find Shaun of the Dead & Hot Fuzz had more laughs and better characters. I didnt care for the ending of World's End either.

Back
Top Bottom