Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Isn't it a little easier to get to know Damon's character in Martian, though?
I haven't seen the movie, but I would venture to say he's in every single scene, is he not?

Any of ypu guys Hitchcock fans?

Tried watching vertigo.. Couldn't really get into it.. And I know that's supposed to be one of his best, if not his best

I know he didn't direct it, but I kind of count True Romance as a Tarantino film. Not that I'd rank it above any of his official films, but his fingerprints really are all over it so, to me, it's his.

Tried watching vertigo.. Couldn't really get into it.. And I know that's supposed to be one of his best, if not his best

I've seem several of his films - Rear Window, Strangers on a Train, the Birds, Psycho - and while I enjoyed them all, I wasn't blown away by any either. Honestly, I haven't really loved any film I've seen that came out before, like, the mid-1970s. Films from the 50s and 60s tend to have a different style of dialogue/acting that I'm not big on. Not saying there aren't great movies from those eras, just not my thing is the majority of cases.

"His name is Yang. He won a national match competition in china and he doesn't even speak english"
roll.gif

True romance was definitely awesome.

I gotta watch it again. Looking it up on IMDB today, I had forgotten that Sam Jackson and Gandolfini are in it. Need to refresh my recollection.

But between Gary Oldman's character, Brad Pitt's and the Chris Walken monologue about getting punched in the nose - those are things you'll only see in a QT movie. That's why I count True Romance.

I know he didn't direct it, but I kind of count True Romance as a Tarantino film. Not that I'd rank it above any of his official films, but his fingerprints really are all over it so, to me, it's his.

True romance was definitely awesome.

Honestly, I think I like True Romance more than Pulp Fiction... It's just such a great movie... Everyone in it is just awesome... Brad Pitt as Floyd as perfect :lol:... The entire movie was loaded with early 90's huge names... Just awesome....

Sonofa*****, she does taste like peaches :lol:....

i loved true romance. made everyone at work watch the dvd years ago. i still prefer pulp fiction over true romance all day though.

The scene between Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walken is still one of my all time favorites, just so damn intense and well done

I've seem several of his films - Rear Window, Strangers on a Train, the Birds, Psycho - and while I enjoyed them all, I wasn't blown away by any either. Honestly, I haven't really loved any film I've seen that came out before, like, the mid-1970s. Films from the 50s and 60s tend to have a different style of dialogue/acting that I'm not big on. Not saying there aren't great movies from those eras, just not my thing is the majority of cases.

Yea there are definitely a hand full of classics that haven't aged well..

I still got a fair share in my top 15-20 all time though.. The wild bunch, dirty dozen, the great escape, Patton, gone with the wind, butch Cassidy and the sundance kid, a couple Sergio Leone movies

Yea there are definitely a hand full of classics that haven't aged well..

I still got a fair share in my top 15-20 all time though.. The wild bunch, dirty dozen, the great escape, Patton, gone with the wind, butch Cassidy and the sundance kid, a couple Sergio Leone movies

Forgot about Patton. That's probably in my top 10 ATF films. Amazing movie. George C. Scott and Karl Malden both give brilliant performances in completely different ways. And the opening monologue, when Patton is speaking in front of the American flag back drop - just iconic.

For anyone in this thread who hasn't seen Patton, do so, as soon as you can. Even if you're not big on war movies. Its that good, IMO.

Just watched this. Not that funny but it was a different type of romantic comedy. Liked the cast a lot, thought it was a dope plot.

Tried to watch "The Walk" prior and couldn't get through it. His makeup and accent were annoying the hell out of me. I'll watch it again later.

Last edited:

Just watch all of them. He has a lot of classics or movies called his best. I'm a huge fan and wouldn't say every single alleged best/classic is my fav movie. I liked Rear Window more than that one. Vertigo simply was something different for the time it came out. So many other writers and directors have copied that it may not be all that great to you. The movie has been remade and copied several times for movie and tv.

Rope
Topaz
Marnie
Psycho
The Man Who Knew Too Much
Strangers On A Train
North By Northwest
etc.

Then watch the movies about Hitchock like Hitchcock and The Girl (Hopkins and Jones really excel playing Hitch) to get a better sense of the genius behind these movies.

If you're not a fan, then you're not a fan. If you become one, I'd say then watch all of Alfred Hitchcock Presents...
"His name is Yang. He won a national match competition in china and he doesn't even speak english" :rofl:
I was laughing so hard at how offensive he was during that scene then the dude speaks and is like my last name's actually _____ and I do speak English. And I came in 2nd.

Isn't it a little easier to get to know Damon's character in Martian, though?
I haven't seen the movie, but I would venture to say he's in every single scene, is he not?
I would say he takes up about half the movie, which is a lot of screen time

but my point is it only takes one scene to help us understand character motivation, or why someone behaves and thinks the way they do

without it, especially for a character like dr mann i'm just sitting around thinking "why is this guy being so difficult right now" and the only reason I could come up with was "he's matt damon"

some examples of 5-15 seconds that allow us to totally understand why someone would be bad/evil/a jerk:

Koba in rise of the planet of the apes: one scene, points at his scars and says "human". instantly I know he's not just a bad guy for the sake of plot but he feels this way because he has been abused by humans in the past. (i had not see the first movie at the time)

Gary Oldman in rise of the planent of the apes: when the power comes on, he finds his ipad and cries over a picture of his family. From this one scene we now understand that he lost his family to the ape virus so he probably blames the apes for that. Suddenly he's not just a generic bad guy who hates monkeys.

Rocket Raccoon in guardians: a 3 second shot of his back scars and pratt's reaction to seeing it and we understand that the character was experimented on, he's not just overly rude to everyone because he was born that way. He had a rough upbringing.

Pyro in the xman movies: forgot which movie it was but there's a great scene where he's at iceman's house and you see him sadfaced, looking at a picture of iceman and his family. From this we can understand why he grew up with hatred in his heart (without a family) and turns bad while iceman stays good.

I love these little moments because you get so much backstory and it makes movie characters feel like real people. in his latest work nolan doesnt have any of this stuff, instead focusing on the large plot points and driving the narrative forward 

That makes sense. I see what you mean.

Maybe having characters like that isn't important to some writers/directors, as other things.

I don't know, I don't really know how to say what I'm trying to say but I would say the majority of movies I watch, lack the type of character moments like you just described so, is it bad character writing, or that maybe the writer thinks the depth of their characters aren't as important as some other parts of the movie, and they'd rather focus on that part, the part they are more passionate about.

I don't know, I totally see what you mean, but I disagree with that being bad character writing, I guess is what I'm saying.

Last edited:
Character development isn't just about a single shot or moment where you can get a bigger glimpse.. it's everything. How the character talks and interacts with others, the things they say (their beliefs, their POV, their attitudes), and one of the biggest things is how they arc or change throughout the story. Bad character development might not stick out to you like say bad CGI or bad acting.. but it's a huge part of what makes up a bad movie.. it might just not be as noticeable. All characters should arc.. one of the exceptions is the bad guy or villain doesn't arc.. but they do have development.

Last edited:
Man, I've had a head cold so I've been in the house all day, and it's been an 80's marathon.

Have my nephews for the weekend who are 8 and 13.

We were watcing Teen Wolf on the tele last night and we watched The Breakfast Club last week and it seemed they liked both a lot and have taken an interest in movies from my early years.

These are what we watched just today.

Can't Buy Me Love

Heavenly Kid

Just One of the Guys

Adventure in Baby Sitting

The Last Dragon

Dirty Dancing

I wasn't surprised that they like them all (Just One of the Guys was their favorite), but I was surprised that they watched them all with no Call of Duty breaks. 

Last edited:
Gary Oldman in rise of the planent of the apes: when the power comes on, he finds his ipad and cries over a picture of his family. From this one scene we now understand that he lost his family to the ape virus so he probably blames the apes for that. Suddenly he's not just a generic bad guy who hates monkeys.
:lol: :rofl:

I kinda wanna see that movie though, I kinda wanna see it.

You mean don't know nothing about him or don't like his work?
going into the had no real prior knowledge of dude but Cranston came throwing that 96 mph heater
:pimp: Understood.

He mos def did.

Last edited:
Knock Knock is the most terrifying movie I have ever seen.

Makes the Exorcist look like Bambi.

I'm never watching another movie again. :lol: :lol:
That **** was brilliance. Pure. Brilliance.

Eli Roth should win an Oscar.

Going to go ahead and watch The Big Short.
I like this kind of story.

:rofl: @the Knock Knock joke. Keanu is a pretty bad actor, but that movie makes his worst movie look like a masterpiece

"His name is Yang. He won a national match competition in china and he doesn't even speak english" :rofl:

I get it now :rofl:

Edit: wow wow wow wow wow! If only I could have a deal like this dropped in my lap or presented at my doorstep. I've gone broke a couple of times in life, and this definitely would have been a risk I'd have sunk my whole $account into. One day man, one day. This is so dope, gets my blood pumping something fierce.

Score is amazing, too

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom