Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I'm gonna be a **** and say go ahead
Because I thought each of those films was better than Eternal Sunshine as it was a pretentious film.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
 @ the lashing that JA21 is taking.
It's not that serious. Charlie Kaufman is one of my favorite screenwriters, but I'm not going to raise hell that it didn't do well on his list.

If this draft is based on "expert ratings," we may as well just use IMDB/MetaCritic/Rotten Tomatoes. I know that's what people want, they just don't want to admit it because drafting would lack creativity. But really, if you want a system based on what "film experts" consider great films, just tally scores on IMDB.com and see what it spits out.

You can't have it both ways. If JA21 had ranked everything like "experts" would have done, he would have been criticized for not giving his own insight and just recycling the opinions of reviewers.

laugh.gif
 @ the lashing that JA21 is taking.
It's not that serious. Charlie Kaufman is one of my favorite screenwriters, but I'm not going to raise hell that it didn't do well on his list.

If this draft is based on "expert ratings," we may as well just use IMDB/MetaCritic/Rotten Tomatoes. I know that's what people want, they just don't want to admit it because drafting would lack creativity. But really, if you want a system based on what "film experts" consider great films, just tally scores on IMDB.com and see what it spits out.

You can't have it both ways. If JA21 had ranked everything like "experts" would have done, he would have been criticized for not giving his own insight and just recycling the opinions of reviewers.

Originally Posted by illmaticsoulchild

If this draft is based on "expert ratings," we may as well just use IMDB/MetaCritic/Rotten Tomatoes. I know that's what people want, they just don't want to admit it because drafting would lack creativity. But really, if you want a system based on what "film experts" consider great films, just tally scores on IMDB.com and see what it spits out
Bingo. There's no originality in asking judges to rank what they think is the most critically acclaimed films of the 2000s.

If you want that, sure, I'd re-rank my list.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by illmaticsoulchild

If this draft is based on "expert ratings," we may as well just use IMDB/MetaCritic/Rotten Tomatoes. I know that's what people want, they just don't want to admit it because drafting would lack creativity. But really, if you want a system based on what "film experts" consider great films, just tally scores on IMDB.com and see what it spits out
Bingo. There's no originality in asking judges to rank what they think is the most critically acclaimed films of the 2000s.

If you want that, sure, I'd re-rank my list.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Because I thought each of those films didn't wasn't as good as Eternal Sunshine as it was a pretentious film.
laugh.gif
 But Roger Ebert gave it two thumbs up and its indie

you guys spent alot of time on this so I'm just gonna judge yall now.

ranking from 5-1 for each genre then tallying up the votes. did the first three genre so far. it's tough

you guys spent alot of time on this so I'm just gonna judge yall now.

ranking from 5-1 for each genre then tallying up the votes. did the first three genre so far. it's tough

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Because I thought each of those films didn't wasn't as good as Eternal Sunshine as it was a pretentious film.
laugh.gif
 But Roger Ebert gave it two thumbs up and its indie

No, everybody gave it two thumbs up. In the world.

Calling a movie pretentious is pretty funny to me. Like every writer/director is not making an effort to have his film seem more relevant or intelligent than it probably is.

Calling a movie pretentious is pretty funny to me. Like every writer/director is not making an effort to have his film seem more relevant or intelligent than it probably is.

BTW, Primer is one of the best science fiction films of the decade. The paradigms about the pitfalls of time traveling were very well examined.
It's a very short film, so for any of you who are reluctant to see it, I think it's worth the time.

BTW, Primer is one of the best science fiction films of the decade. The paradigms about the pitfalls of time traveling were very well examined.
It's a very short film, so for any of you who are reluctant to see it, I think it's worth the time.

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

This. I have nothing more to add to that, perfectly said.

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

This. I have nothing more to add to that, perfectly said.

I own the director's next movie. I'm willing to say many more people think that's more pretentious. I personally liked it alot

the science of sleep

JA stay away lol. waaay more artsy

I own the director's next movie. I'm willing to say many more people think that's more pretentious. I personally liked it alot

the science of sleep

JA stay away lol. waaay more artsy

I think everyone is getting sidetracked by what kool posted, it was just a quick response to 'only you guys like this movie.' That doesn't have much to do with what we're talking about. Nobody put up a funk when Eternal got picked as a sci-fi. It wasn't even much of a surprise that it got picked in the first round. It's just surprising that it gave LTB a -13 for it.

It's whatever. Dude said that Downfall, the Hitler movie, was 4 times the action film Bourne Ultimatum was...

That's why I don't think your system works.

No one is saying that we should start using expert ratings.

As I said before, I'm all for subjectivity, but there is a huge difference between picking Crash over Brokeback Mountain and judging Eternal Sunshine as the worst movie in its genre.

I'm sure there is a middle ground somewhere that is reasonable. Otherwise, the only criteria for being a judge is "likes to watch movies." That doesn't hold a lot of credibility.

I think everyone is getting sidetracked by what kool posted, it was just a quick response to 'only you guys like this movie.' That doesn't have much to do with what we're talking about. Nobody put up a funk when Eternal got picked as a sci-fi. It wasn't even much of a surprise that it got picked in the first round. It's just surprising that it gave LTB a -13 for it.

It's whatever. Dude said that Downfall, the Hitler movie, was 4 times the action film Bourne Ultimatum was...

That's why I don't think your system works.

No one is saying that we should start using expert ratings.

As I said before, I'm all for subjectivity, but there is a huge difference between picking Crash over Brokeback Mountain and judging Eternal Sunshine as the worst movie in its genre.

I'm sure there is a middle ground somewhere that is reasonable. Otherwise, the only criteria for being a judge is "likes to watch movies." That doesn't hold a lot of credibility.

Back
Top Bottom