Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

It would be nice to get a great black director churning out great movies on a consistent basis.

coogler?

I had the bar set a little too high for 12 years a slave after shame, but McQueen is there.. didn't realize that was 3 years ago and doesn't have anything coming according to imdb
Those 2 are candidates but obviously don't have the lengthy resume yet.

McQueen is going to tv for a bit last I heard.

I'm hoping for somebody one day standing shoulder with the likes of Scorsese and Spielberg.

Pacino deserves an oscar for his role in Ocean's 13. :smokin
What? :rofl: :rofl:

Caught The Night Before on HBO last night (all the movie channels have been showing a randomly high amount of X-mas movies lately). Felt about it how I feel about most Seth Rogen movies. Premise was solid, set up was good and first act was consistently funny. Then things started to drag - some jokes were overdone others just didn't work. Not bad overall, but nothing I'm in a rush to see again. Will not become a Christmas staple for me. 5.75/8.

4-4.5/8 for suicide squad.. Maybe 4.5 because there are things to really really like

Like MOS and BvS there are things to like, but movies don't fully delivery.. DC/wb need to stop trying to do so much and handle the simple and actually let things develop

It's like they are trying to swing for home runs everytime up to catch up with marvel, instead of just trying to make solid individual films.. Pull a deadpool or GOTG or ironman and go up just aiming to make contact.. Chip away at things and build a solid base to grow from

Save your money and just wait til you can watch for free

I just re-watched TDK.

What did you guys think of Ledger as Joker? What made him compelling to you?

Last edited:
I just re-watched TDK.

What did you guys think of Ledger as Joker? What made him a compelling villain to you?

For as much as he preached anarchy and all that jazz.. He always had a plan, the opening scene gives you glimpse into the mastermind that he is

Everyone just dismisses him and thinks his motives are simple because they jump to conclusions based on his looks.. But there are layers to everything that he does, thinking multiple moves ahead

Which is why the route they are taking with Leto is kinda disappointing to me

Making him the crime boss..

Would have been fun to see him and Harley like woody and ole girl in 'natural born killers'

He was really smart and outsmarted batman. People couldn't predict his actions but he was well prepared and a step ahead of people.

And completely agree on Tate.. Would love to see him in more movies

Last I saw him was that show with don cheadle.. And last movie was man apart.. Think the Asante video was after that

Think why do fools fall in love was before a man apart

I just re-watched TDK.

What did you guys think of Ledger as Joker? What made him compelling to you?
His menacing gravitas, unpredectiability, the crazyiness, the type of jokes befitting of the Joker, the why so serious story, the several origins of his scars, the sheer madness while at the same time being his own Joker and doing things differently from the past iterations.

Ledger fully committed and it was just amazing. The themes and genre also lean to my liking.

I just honestly never thought somebody could bring the comic book villain to life like that.

Probably the best thing David Goyer ever wrote in his life (along with the Nolans and whoever else contributed).

He was really smart and outsmarted batman. People couldn't predict his actions but he was well prepared and a step ahead of people.

The boat scene was the only thing he didn't prepare for.. He essentially bet on both teams and dudes decide not to play

He was essentially a magician, distracting you with his left hand while he did whatever with his right

The whole movie he had everyone on their toes and reacting to him

^ Good points. I was still in HS when TDK released, so I didn't understand the underlying themes.

What made him compelling to me --

1) Dude always made it seem like he was doing things on the fly when he was actually planning everything in advance. It was very tough to see Bat-Bale out of his element and essentially playing catch up throughout TDK. Joker was in control from the very start, which made me think he's much smarter than Bat-Bale.

2) His interrogation scene with Bat-Bale actually had me agreeing with him -- Batman is really as much of a freak as Joker is, people "are only as good as the world allows them to be", etc.

3) Joker turned Dent heel through constant pushing/driving him crazy -- pure evil and manipulation that is very unsettling to see as the movie unfolds.

Last edited:
^
Solid insights.
Number 3..."You need an ace in the hole"....aka joker up your sleeve. Even when it seems Joker is defeated, he's still planning ahead.

If ledger lived, would have loved to see Nolan tackle 'the killing joke' storyline.. Instead of what was done in TDKR.. Have joker fake his death in arkham or something

Would still love to see Nolan do the court of owls

Last edited:
Caught The Night Before on HBO last night (all the movie channels have been showing a randomly high amount of X-mas movies lately). Felt about it how I feel about most Seth Rogen movies. Premise was solid, set up was good and first act was consistently funny. Then things started to drag - some jokes were overdone others just didn't work. Not bad overall, but nothing I'm in a rush to see again. Will not become a Christmas staple for me. 5.75/8.

Michael Shannon was awesome though, he's got some great comedy chops

If ledger lived, would have loved to see Nolan tackle 'the killing joke' storyline.. Instead of what was done in TDKR.. Have joker fake his death in arkham or something

Would still love to see Nolan do the court of owls

They lightweight did some of the Killing Joke to Harvey Dent (making it like one bad week) in TDK but yeah it would've been great to see that with Ledger and Oldman.

Last edited:
They lightweight did some of the Killing Joke to Harvey Dent in TDK but yeah it would've been great to see that with Ledger and Oldman.

That's true.. And the kids were real young.. But I guess they did skip time for TDKR anyways

Could just have bat's retire just like after TDKR.. Gordon's daughter inspired by the events trains and when she's early 20s takes up the mantle of batgirl.. Joker finds out and fakes his death in arkham.. And then you go with the rest of the storyline

I watched this today.. And honestly if you just take out the word "hero"

This shows how much of a matermind he really was and how he did have a motive and plan for his actions

I've seen it said that joker would have taken the place of scarecrow in TDKR if ledger had lived.. But the more I think about it, I don't see him playing well with bane unless it is to double cross him eventual

^ Good points. I was still in HS when TDK released, so I didn't understand the underlying themes.

What made him compelling to me --

1) Dude always made it seem like he was doing things on the fly when he was actually planning everything in advance. It was very tough to see Bat-Bale out of his element and essentially playing catch up throughout TDK. Joker was in control from the very start, which made me think he's much smarter than Bat-Bale.

2) His interrogation scene with Bat-Bale actually had me agreeing with him -- Batman is really as much of a freak as Joker is, people "are only as good as the world allows them to be", etc.

3) Joker turned Dent heel through constant pushing/driving him crazy -- pure evil and manipulation that is very unsettling to see as the movie unfolds.

the interrogation scene was one of the greatest scenes of the movie. when he laughs at bats and says 'you have nothing to threaten me. nothing to do with all your strength.' for that moment, joker made bats a basic man. he had no out. rachelle dies in the next scene and breaks a part of bats and and just about turns harvey mad.

heath brought the joker to life. the writers wrote some of the greatest lines for him. most of the movie is filled with quotes that you can literally do a double take and say 'hes right'. the scary part is that he was right up until the boat scene. he had no qualms about glory. he just wanted to remove rules to show the true nature of society. my favorite movie of all time. would of been amazing like posted above if heath and nolan would of tackled the killing joke. could have been another masterpiece |I

Son- "oh ok, Dad, I found it. Here it is."

Dad- "mm thank you"

Son- "oh wait, this isn't yours"

Dad- **proceeds to look for the right teeth

Son- "I was kidding, here" (hands Dad the teeth)

Dad- "these ain't mine!"

Son- "of course they're yours!, whose else is it gonna be, here, see if it fits"

Dad- "I think I oughta know my own teeth, they're not mine"

Son- **walks off annoyed

Dad- "of course they're mine, don't be a moron"

-NEBRASKA

:lol:
:rofl:

Great scene

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom