Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

I didn't see much in the trailer that would cause protests or boycotts. It's not like popes in the past didn't have their issues. Is that a hairpiece he's wearing? If not he finally found the best combover method fo use.

I didn't see much in the trailer that would cause protests or boycotts. It's not like popes in the past didn't have their issues. Is that a hairpiece he's wearing? If not he finally found the best combover method fo use.

Well, the character is described in some of the press materials as a "chain-smoking megalomaniac," which doesn't exactly sound favorable. And very devout Catholics tend to be pretty sensitive about the Pope. I think a lot of them will object just to idea of this show. But yeah, how vocal it will get will depend on what actually happens in the show.

Edit* -- I saw some other reviews saying the Pope character in the show is depicted as "lu****l," "vengeful," an "atheist" and probably "bisexual." So, yeah, should be interesting to see how this plays out.

Last edited:
Speaking of Catholicism, I finally got around to Spotlight yesterday. Film was fantastic, really hit hard on the subject. Mark Ruffalo was fantastic in his performance, as was everyone else, but Hulk killed his role. I remember when the story came out first, but was still pretty young I guess. Personally I thought the writers and director did about as good a job as you can when balancing the facts with trying to make the story entertaining/captivating. The pacing, cinematography, and investigatory lens really felt like 'Zodiac' for the current generation, as far as telling the story of horrific crimes goes.

7.7/8. Definitely deserved the praise it got, and then some.

^^^ Ruffalo is an interesting actor. He's not - at least for me - a guy whose name immediately comes to mind when I'm thinking of A-list stars, but he's been in a ton of huge movies. Plus, he bounces back and forth between popcorn flicks and serious indie stuff pretty seamlessly. Not a ton of actors who can say that.

Don't see the big deal or huge backlash.

There have been corrupted pipes depicted in movies and tv before.

Plenty of actual corrupt and bad guy popes in real life.

^^^ Ruffalo is an interesting actor. He's not - at least for me - a guy whose name immediately comes to mind when I'm thinking of A-list stars, but he's been in a ton of huge movies. Plus, he bounces back and forth between popcorn flicks and serious indie stuff pretty seamlessly. Not a ton of actors who can say that.

Yeah, his range as an actor is pretty elite honestly. He's pretty much the opposite of Johnny Depp :lol:
Ruffalo has both the acting chops for great indies and the charisma and marketability for summer block-busters and comic book movies.
Dude's the definition of versatility. :smokin

Plus, he's one hell of an activist for equality on Twitter.
Good guy Ruffalo will always be appreciated :nthat:

Do we have a Kodi thread?  I got a Firestick with Kodi on it a few months ago and it has been absolutely life changing.

What was everyone's best movie theater experience?

I'm going to say mine was 8 Mile in 2002. Saw it on opening night. Pinnacle of Eminem's popularity, RT and IMDB were non-existent so I pretty much had no expectations going in, friends and I sneaked a 30 pack of beer, crowd was awesome...went absolutely berserk after the final showdown with Papa Doc. This was also been Hip-Hop was still alive and well. I just remember leaving completely fulfilled.
laugh.gif

can't really remember many of my rowdy drunken movie experiences back in the day but in recent times, seeing avatar 3d had me leaving the theater feeling like i just saw the future of entertainment. might not have had the most intricate plot or oscar-worthy acting performances but i really enjoyed it and i think i saw it 3x in the theater (zero times watched on tv/on the comp).

Best theater experience in recent memory? Maybe Avengers 1. Didn't know what to expect that night. There was no precedence for a major team up like that. It was a good crowd plus it was opening night.

I specifically remember the whole day leading up to the movie. I was at work. They had floated me to an unfamiliar floor. And I was still a new nurse at the time. I had a difficult time but it was like the day flew by knowing that I was going to watch the Avengers that night right after work.

Good company. Went to A1 with a new friend who is probably the best friend I have right now.

It was awesome. The only thing that might've made it better was if it had been an imax showing.

Last edited:
Interestingly, though I do my fair share of drinking and have for a while, never been big on drinking when I go to the theater. I've done it, but I usually am sober when I go to the theater.

I'm going to have to think about it some more, but the theater experience that first comes to mind is seeing There's Something About Mary opening weekend. Went on a date with girl I really liked at the time. The whole theater was laughing throughout the entire movie and it was all completely spontaneous and natural. Not forced at all. Just put me and my date in a super good mood.

Runner up would probably be when I saw Pulp Fiction in a small theater in Isla Vista, which is the little town adjacent to UCSB. There was drinking involved that night.

Best theater experience I had was probably seeing Pineapple Express baked outta my damn mind :lol:. I was literally laughing the entire movie. Movie is a top 5 comedy of mine mostly because of that night :lol: :nthat:

Best theater experience in recent memory? Maybe Avengers 1. Didn't know what to expect that night. There was no precedence for a major team up like that. It was a good crowd plus it was opening night.

I specifically remember the whole day leading up to the movie. I was at work. They had floated me to an unfamiliar floor. And I was still a new nurse at the time. I had a difficult time but it was like the day flew by knowing that I was going to watch the Avengers that night right after work.

Good company. Went to A1 with a new friend who is probably the best friend I have right now.

It was awesome. The only thing that might've made it better was if it had been an imax showing.

Experience as far as personally or like, crowd vibe?

As far as crowd vibe, new movie.....What We Do in the Shadows was truly lit. The theatre served alcohol so that helped.

An older movie (same theatre) was Labyrinth. The entire crowd sang every son and cheered every Bowie scene.

If you mean like experience on that personal, introspective level: The Matrix

I walked out of that theater with a different perspective on life. I felt like a door was opened in my mind, and I could see and understand the world in ways I never thought possible. It sounds really really dumb, but I was 14 or 15 when I saw it for the first time and I hadn't been introduced to the philosophies behind that movie before in my life. So yeah those are mine.

Edit* just read lawdog1 lawdog1 's post :lol:

That small theater booze vibe can't be beat! Y'all need to experience this at least once in your life

Last edited:
I was never a big smoker, but I saw Shaun of the Dead with a PERFECT high and it was fantastic.

Best theater experience I had was probably seeing Pineapple Express baked outta my damn mind :lol:. I was literally laughing the entire movie. Movie is a top 5 comedy of mine mostly because of that night :lol: :nthat:

:lol:

That's probably why I still have positive feelings about The Mask with Jim Carrey. Saw that stoned and it was amazing. Thought Cameron Diaz was the most beautiful woman I ever had seen.

Hands down, my favorite theater experience of my life was seeing Kings of Comedy on opening night.  It was so live in there.  Was basically like we were in attendance where the comedy show was being filmed.  

I'm going to say mine was 8 Mile in 2002. Saw it on opening night. Pinnacle of Eminem's popularity, RT and IMDB were non-existent so I pretty much had no expectations going in, friends and I sneaked a 30 pack of beer, crowd was awesome...went absolutely berserk after the final showdown with Papa Doc. This was also been Hip-Hop was still alive and well. I just remember leaving completely fulfilled. :lol:

TDK.

Opening night, IMAX.

Audience was lit and standing ovation at the end. :smokin

giphy.gif

South Park movie in the theater. It was packed we had to sit in the first row. I'll never forget the whole theater laughing for minutes straight after Cartman pulled out the mega phone..."What I said was...how would you like to suck my balls....Mr. Garrison"

Either LotR: Return of the King, TDK opening night despite being in the first row all the way to the left, or The Force Awakens opening night. All were just dope experiences/crowds/movies.

you know this is the movie buff thread when people are posting actual movie experiences and nobody posted bj in the theater yet [emoji]128514[/emoji]

you know this is the movie buff thread when people are posting actual movie experiences and nobody posted bj in the theater yet [emoji]128514[/emoji]
TFW TDKR was worst movie experience because planned date turned into unplanned girl's family outing + me ( ._.)

Last edited:
Funniest, during the first POTC.. when ole girl is burning the rum someone was quick to yell out "aint he got 1 bullet in that gun!!"

Best had to be watching the dark knight or civil war in imax

In this day and age with mobile phone cameras at the ready to document anything and post on the internet I would not do that :lol:

The first Conjuring. I nabbed screener passes a week before it released, wife and I stood in line a couple hours, got in, I had zero expectations, hadn't even seen a preview for it, crowd was packed, movie blew us away. It was amazing.

Phantom Menace, for the atmosphere, but I was pissed 5 minutes in.

Grind house. :pimp: Bunch of Tarantino junkies just lovin every scene for 4 hours.

Maybe my most favorite tho was Scream. Had just started dating my wife. We missed it on first release, then local theater re-release it later. We heard good buzz but knew nothing of the film, then that opening.....I was mezmorized.

Iono, I've had several more that were cool. Matrix Reloaded. Force Awakens. Liar Liar. Dark Knight. Fast Five. Gone Girl. Diff theaters, diff crowds, friends I went with, or with wife/daughter/alone, etc. I'm positive there's more I'm forgetting too.

:lol:

Can't say I've had that experience. Closest thing was when I took my first high school GF to see Poetic Justice with 2-pac and Janet Jackson. There was like 2 other people in the theater, so we made out most of the movie. That was cool, but still didn't save that movie. :tongue:

Back
Top Bottom