Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Fences! :smokin

Mannn, American Honey is opening up limited Friday, but not round my way, damb.

Looking forward to seeing American Honey and Birth of A Nation these upcoming weeks and Deepwater Horizon.

It's a business. Disney is in the business of making money, I have no problem with it.

Hollywood has focused on the blockbuster for 4 decades. It's a proven fact that franchises, sequels, and established properties have a far higher chance of making huge box office numbers.

It's not as if Disney is taking the budget away from 20 indie movies or spec scripts and cancelling all of them in favor of the Lion King. This will be a tentpole movie, it won't have any effect on smaller movies or unique ideas. No worse than any other blockbuster the last 40 years.

If Favreau didn't just knock it out of the park with the Jungle Book, I'd be more concerned. The Lion King is arguably the best cartoon movie of all time, so it's a little more of a big deal than the Jungle Book, but still.. if they're going to redo it, I'm glad they chose him. Besides, we should have seen it coming, they were redoing all of their classic movies so we should have expected this one done too.

I'm more indifferent to unoriginal and bland remakes such as Ben Hur, Clash of the Titans, etc., movies that have no fresh spin or innovation in them, those  are the remakes and sequels that I'm against.

I'm settling back into my routine with my new job, so I'll make sure to get my NT time in. But they're longer days so that means I can miss a whole day of discussion and I've been playing catch up 
laugh.gif

^^^ Darryl Hammond

On another note, I'm catching I Love You Man on Showtime. I forgot how funny that movie is. Paul Rudd's awkwardness is hilarious. Plus, Rashida Jones is super cute in it. :wow:

A movie with Jim Carrey as the lead costarring Meryl Streep and Timothy Spall, featuring Dustin Hoffman, Cedric the Entertainer, Luis Guzman, Jennifer Coolidge and Catherine O'Hara... you would think this would be a decent movie.

And you would be wrong.

I won't be able to post on Saturday, but here's my 1st movie of the 31 Days of Halloween viewing. Ernest Scared Stupid (1991) ps, I'm pretty drunk right now, sorry for the incoherent rambling.....

Actor Jim Varney was probably in his prime at the time this film was released. You may recognize his voice from Slinky Dog in Toy Story 1 & 2, but he died shortly after at the ripe age of 50. Definitely gone too soon. His Ernest P. Worrell character enjoyed some pretty successful movies in the late 80's/early 90's. Ernest was in all his glory in Scared Stupid, as he gives his take on the famous american tradition of Halloween. Anywaaaaaays......

The movie has a pretty cliche plot. Ernest accidentally releases an evil troll on the town that terrorizes the local children. The movie revolves around the many hair-brained schemes Ernest comes up with in order to stop the evil troll. Pretty good special effects, above average slapstick comedy from Varney. But for the most part, this is a low-budget kids Halloween movie. The film does however capture the essence of Halloween perfectly. Small town. Supernatural stuff going down on hallows eve. Ancient curses. Witches. etc.

If you have HBO, you can watch it for free on demand. Also, there are many "free" online streaming sites it's available on. So on the 1st of October you need to sit back, grab some popcorn, and enjoy a semi scary semi entertaining classic Halloween movie featuring one of the legends of comedy. They don't make practical special effects movies like this any more, so try and appreciate that. 4.6/8

I can't believe I'm sayin this again, but I liked Lethal Weapon again.

The guy they got to play Riggs is perfect.

The show has the same heart, but a little more cheese (that's expected tho)

I dunno if it'll last, but I'm in so far.

You make me wanna watch it. Is it on Hulu?

You make me wanna watch it. Is it on Hulu?

What's Hulu? :lol:

I dunno man, I adore the 4 films, every single one of them, they are like family, like an extension of my family. I can start from the credits of any film, or watch just the last 5 minutes of any film, I love them all. The cast, the characters, the humor, the seriousness, the action, the small nods, the world building thru each film (adding to the cast, building on each relationship) every actor/actress coming back for every film including the kids, it's just an amazing 4 films.

I thought I would loathe the show. Thought it would offend me, and piss me off. But I sit and watch the opening, and see the heart in it. The torture they put Riggs thru. Then introduce him to Murtaugh, and I see it. I see the same thing, just in a different set of faces. They DEFINITELY upgraded Roger's wife ( :lol: ) And they damn sure upgraded the Shrink ( :lol: ) but hey, gotta do what ya gotta do. The point is, you still feel for the dude and what his life is like, and yet, somehow, Riggs always comes out the other side, truly a good guy, a great cop, that.........just manages to always find himself in some deep ****

I doubt it will last, I doubt it will get any ratings, but so far, I've enjoyed both episodes. If done right, the show really could niche, just people probably will ignore it until enough word of mouth hypes it. (other than me) My guess is it maybe gets a season or two, and they'll pull the plug. But it's hit the mark with me, so I'll tune in for now and see where it leads.

How's that show about the female MLB pitcher doing? I gave it 5 episodes.

Last edited:
Fences looks really good....

Anywhere I can see a list of movies dropping monthly?

I know I wanna see the girl on the train & the accountant.

Watched the OG Poltergeist last night. Just curious - though I know I'm probably the oldest dude on here, wondering if anyone else actually remembers the days when TVs only had 13 channels and went to snow after midnight, like depicted in that movie. C CP1708 ? darthska darthska ?

Remember the (Cox for me) Cable box that didn't have a remote and you had to manually turn it? I think mine had like 87 channels which was super ahead of its time and so dope!

Flipping channels wasn't even a big deal even though you had to get up becaus MTV was real, played dope Music VIDEOS and then HBO had shows and Movies that were all 100% watchable so turning the channel wasn't even an option because what was on was DOPE!

Still remember falling asleep to Dream On and waking up a few hours later and the TV was snow, circa 1986-89ish?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom