Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

I saw that show up on moviepass and was wondering if it was like an old movie a theater was showing again given the small amount of theaters that had it.

Took a bit to discover its a foreign flick.

Gifted 6/8

Cool movie. Evans was good. Little girl was really good. Reminded me of the boy from the Room.

Feel like Olivia Spencer is being typecast.

Bram Stroker's Dracula 5.7/8

Never saw it but pretty much all of the shows and movies that have aped Bram's Dracula story. Watched mainly to see Oldman pull it off. Did it more so as creepy vamp count Dracula than Vlad.

Didn't expect Keanu or dude from Princess Bride but both fit. Hopkins was good but could've been better. I've seen this story enough times that I feel most involved could've done better including Coppola.

The Florida Project 5.5/8

Did not care for it. This **** wss aimless. Didn't care for his not was shot, didn't care much for the acting but I dunno cuz most of the kid stuff literally just semed kids having fun. I recognize what they were doing and hitting all the plot beats that lead up to child services being called but meh

I've seen Willem be great in so many things. I swear the Academy must've been scraping the bottom and grasping for straws when they just said lets nominate him.

And :lol: @ that ending.

Last edited:
Damn first time seeing Bram Stoker?! Seen it prob 50 times. Joint had me SHOOK back in the day. You gotta watch Dracula Dead and Loving it now with Leslie Nielsen :lol: :lol: :lol:

It spoofs Bram heavily

I've seen that.

Most of Nielsen's comedies.

It took me so long to see it cuz growing up I was not in to vampires or most of the Hollywood monsters they'd make movies about from the public domain. I especially didn't care for vampires.

Always just seemed whack to me. Bunch of pale creepy ************* drinking/sucking blood. Took a long while for me to turn a corner on them and grow to like that particular category.

Last edited:
Mudbound 5.8/8

Eh I guess it was good. Powerful and what not but this was the type of movie I wasn't all that interested in seeing when I wasn't sure about Darkest Hour cuz I thought it may be more about the war but this doubly so cuz it contains elements of mutilation due to racism which I simply wasn't in the mood for.

Mary J. Blige was impressive, more so than Carey Mulligan cuz she came off like she been acting for decades in these sorts of movies. Not a large role but she was good.

Jason Clark was his usual self. Garret Hedlund was another standout in this. He was real good.

Jason Mitchell was good but I feel he was in his wheelhouse here. Range didnt stretch much. I see a lot of similar depiction by him in The Chi. All good though.

Jonathan Banks played a racist you can easily hate. Knew he'd be good at it.

Movie went well following the 2 families. The struggle of being poor in the south during depression up to WW2, the expected racism, then I guess some relieve in actually following the 2 characters in the war; one in the air, the other on ground, the family interacts a bit, then the two soldiers come back home interact and become friends.

At this point I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Now I remember when dudes complained about 12 Years A Slave but I felt that movie had something to say. It was something I feel wasn't depicted before in a race based or slave focused movie. The trials and tribulations of Solomon was in the end a story about hope and survival.

Mudbound though, homey gets got by the Klan, luckily ends up with the least damaging punishment out of the 3 and then leaves. It was a good story but I'm sure it didn't say anything new imo. Not much different from past movies I can recall.

I will say though, the reason I'll never be against these movies being consistently made is because they serve a purpose of not allowing anyone to forget.

Movie will either having you feeling the same cuz you're use to seeing this or sad and angry.

Last edited:
what a rousing review

i can tell you really liked the movie

it sounds like you really grasped a lot of the nuance in the film and didnt just glibly write it up to racism

it wasnt the best ending but theres an interpretation where he actually died and the ending is a dream sequence

I didn't "really like the movie". It was good but I wouldn't say I enjoyed it. I can chalk this up to me watching so many other movies of this nature that I simply don't see anything unique about it.

The movie had nuance as far as how the families interact, the balance in showing the war and the struggles back at home, and then Ronsell's and Jamie's friendship but getting down to brass tacks racism and injustice is the largest theme in the movie which couldn't be avoided and clearly was the intent of the flick.

Due to that some scenes just felt like a chore to get through.

Movie for the black family had a damn post Civil War mentality to it. Racism was seeped in to it. The fathers unwillingness and hesitation was all based around wanting to provide for his family, Sony is own work and not be treated as If he was owned. White on several occasions banged on his door with little respect asking for help like dude was expected to obey. ******* did in one of the last scenes if the movie.

And the second Ronsell came home it was pretty clear racism was gonna get him. Like I said at that point in waiting for the 2nd shoe to drop.

The dream sequence ending possibility would make more sense as far as that characters fate but not make me like the movie more.

Some inconsistencies when I think about it actually. They straight up say his crime warrant death then they make dude choose what should happen to him. After that I knew they've show him again. If its a dream sequence though makes no sense why Jamie asked Florence to give Ronsell that note/picture at the end. Dude was clearly conscious when he made his choice so he witnessed what happened after.

Save me your sarcasm, you suck at it. If you don't care for my reviews or opinions no need to read them if you don't want to discuss *****.

Wait its on Netflix?

Cloverfield Paradox?

I may watch that one if it'll actually give answers. Let me know how it is.

Lady Bird - Decent flick. The HS dance music had me dying laughing and there were other laughs throughout. I don't see how this enters the "Best Picture" category though. It isn't challenging or interesting to the point where I want to tell people about it. Maybe its just me? I thought the mom (Laurie Metcalf) had the best performance.

The Cloverfield Paradox - This movie is all over the place. It answers some questions but opens the door for so many more. Happy to have it release on Netflix since it wasn't great. But the action sequences and some of the cinematography shots from outside of the ship were cool.

Bright 5.7/8

Didn't care for the tone of the movie. Like it was trying to be different kinds of funny and it dended la d all the time. Dragged for the first hr. A movie to have inn in the background at best.

The movie did get better as it went on. Torn on if I cared for a sequel.

Watched for Will. Joel Edgerton was real good. Obviously his look but hisnvoice and acting was unrecognizable. Saw something new from him.

Noomi Rapace makes a sexy elf.

Lady Bird - Decent flick. The HS dance music had me dying laughing and there were other laughs throughout. I don't see how this enters the "Best Picture" category though. It isn't challenging or interesting to the point where I want to tell people about it. Maybe its just me? I thought the mom (Laurie Metcalf) had the best performance.
It's not just you.

Last edited:
That show Altered Carbon on Netflix is THEE weirdest, hard to follow sci-fi show I've ever seen in my life. I'm 4 episodes deep and I have absolutely no idea what the hell is going on. Things are illegal and I don't know why? I'm not sure what anybody's objective is? The story is so god damn over the place I'm just watching it now like
tumblr_m0lidpJT6J1qg1srw.gif

People die and I don't know who they are or what it means. If anybody watches this, please cliff me some notes :rofl: :rofl:

Jeffrey Wright is possibly my favorite actor but I couldn't stand watching Westworld. I watched the first 4 eps & just could not get into it. Great cast overall too but I found it to be insufferable. Just hated it.

It's funny. To me, HBO shows are either really good or really bad with no in between.

My wife & I liked Mudbound. I thought it told an important story post WW2. It would've been better if it kept the ending that was in the book.

Jeffrey Wright is possibly my favorite actor but I couldn't stand watching Westworld. I watched the first 4 eps & just could not get into it. Great cast overall too but I found it to be insufferable. Just hated it.
At first, I thought I was watching poetry.
It wasn't long before I realized it was Shel Silverstein and not Edgar Allen Poe.

Back
Top Bottom