Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

so I guess Uma and Tarantino aren't bffs anymore :frown: we can forget about Kill Bill 3

have you guys ever watched any pre-code movies? It's pretty mind blowing how socially progressive the roles for
women were in those movies more than they are today, makes me wonder if Hollywood would be in the mess it's in today
if the Hays code was never enacted

What myth is that?

That scalpings never happened or how the scalpings are portrayed in tv and film?

Scalping was not prevalent in all Native American tribes/nations here in the Americas. In fact, not many did it at all. It became more prevalent as the white settlers went west & started taking land. They paid bounty hunters to clear the land of Native Americans dead or alive. White settlers specifically asked for scalps as proof which paid dividends.

From one of the dozen's of books I've read on Native American history. I've also went to a crap ton of lectures given by Native American chiefs & historians. Not necessarily about scalping but a few of the lectures did cover this topic.

Screen Shot 2018-02-03 at 2.24.00 PM.png

Edit - A Minnesota newspaper post from I believe 1862 that offered $200 for every dead Native American cleared off land they wanted to take. That's a tidy bit of dough even by today's standards, can you imagine what it was worth back then? These white settlers killed men, women, & children.
54db9c3d6dc2a_-_redskins1-gtp0as.png

Edit pt II - Here's a proclamation from Pennsylvania circa 1847 paying $3k for Native American prisoners & $2500 for scalps (from one of the books I have)... That's a helluva lot of dough even by today's standards... Can you imagine the savagery these bounties must of brought about? This is why I hate hate hate when movies have Native Americans scalping...
PA.png

Last edited:
Also, I like Bale & Pike but I wish the film dealt with the Native American issues using Wes Studi's Yellow Hawk character. It looks like Studi, Adam Beach, & Qorianka Kilcher were relegated to background characters when the story is essentially about them.
Not to sound like a broken record, but off the trailer alone that's not the movie that was being made.

For a story like that you would've needed a bigger native American actor(s)(Beltran, Phillips, Bratt) at least portraying Blackhawk or switch things up to make Studi's Yellowhawk much more front and center.

There is an interesting story there following his and his family fighting in thqt war, their captivity, and eventually settling back in their home/dying.

Scalping was not prevalent in all Native American tribes/nations here in the Americas. In fact, not many did it at all. It became more prevalent as the white settlers went west & started taking land. They paid bounty hunters to clear the land of Native Americans dead or alive. White settlers specifically asked for scalps as proof which paid dividends.

From one of the dozen's of books I've read on Native American history. I've also went to a crap ton of lectures given by Native American chiefs & historians. Not necessarily about scalping but a few of the lectures did cover this topic.

Screen Shot 2018-02-03 at 2.24.00 PM.png
Ok. I asked because at first you had voiced issue with how the scalpings may have been portrayed not that most native American tribes actually ever performed the act.

I understand the issue of the stereotypical misinformed assumption that natives scalped routinely in battle and how insulting it can be given the facts.

Not to sound like a broken record, but off the trailer alone that's not the movie that was being made.

For a story like that you would've needed a bigger native American actor(s)(Beltran, Phillips, Bratt) at least portraying Blackhawk or switch things up to make Studi's Yellowhawk much more front and center.

There is an interesting story there following his and his family fighting in thqt war, their captivity, and eventually settling back in their home/dying.

Studi is very capable of playing a leading role. Unfortunately, he's never been given the opportunity. Dude always has great screen presence in whatever flick he's been in.

Same with Qorianka Kilcher. She was excellent as Pocahontas in Terrence Malik's A Brave New World (which co-starred Bale).

Adam Beach has also done great work in some meh movies like Wind Talkers & Flags Of Our Fathers. He's a very capable actor.

I feel like the film could've worked with their characters as leads & Bale & Pike as supporting cast. My 2 cents for what it's worth.

that indians started scalping first

Bruv, for someone whose supposed to be woke, this is a terribly misinformed post...

Studi is very capable of playing a leading role. Unfortunately, he's never been given the opportunity. Dude always has great screen presence in whatever flick he's been in.
Yeah, that's why I suggested him as a possibility.

And it is a shame he seems to always play the supporting character rather than the lead.

Same with Qorianka Kilcher. She was excellent as Pocahontas in Terrence Malik's A Brave New World (which co-starred Bale).
I did not like this movie but that's more Malik than anything. He seemed to have lost me after a Thin Red Line for the most part.
Adam Beach has also done great work in some meh movies like Wind Talkers & Flags Of Our Fathers. He's a very capable actor.
I mess with Beach off of his stint on L&O:SVU.

I feel like the film could've worked with their characters as leads & Bale & Pike as supporting cast. My 2 cents for what it's worth.
From the outside maybe, like if that was the intent but once you see the movie they'd have to change a few things and add a lot more to do that.

The quote drawn moments have been mentioned several times in general or as a negative and a lot of that would have to be shortened or removed to make either of them the lead.
I liked Ladybird too. But I don’t think it deserves this much recognition
The quality across the board has lowered. I don't even think it has to do with what types of movies are getting attention.

It just seems like this last year nobody really intended to make a lot of strong high quality powerful flicks.

I count one (Darkest Hour), maybe two.

Anyway, I'm gonna try and bang out Florida Project and Mudbound today.

Malik films meander a whole lot but each of them have beautiful moments with great actors & the cinematography is always stellar. I wish a producer had the balls to force Malik to make a moe straight ahead movie with a linear story instead of the abstract art he always produces.

I won't see this pic in theaters, but will give it a whirl when it hits cable. Scott Cooper can direct a decent flick like Crazyheart & Out of the Furnace. I just hope this ain't crappy like Black Mass.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm familiar with Malik's style, pros and cons. I still watched his movies despite not liking much recently.

That will be the day when somebody gets him to be direct and straightforward with a film. He could make a comedy or straight up action flick, hell even a superhero flick and it would still be the most out there exploratory meandering loose pacing 3 hour movie.

Not that he's a hack but I thinking he thinks he's on Kubrick's level with some of his choices.

As for Hostiles, no biggie not catching it in theaters. Its not some great must see western. This aint no Black Mass though :lol: I liked a Valley of Violence better as far as recent westerns go (while acknowledging at the same time they are different types of westerns).

Man, I had absolutely no idea what Call Me By Your Name was about so I just watched a trailer for it. I'm gonna be honest, I'm struggling to find it in me to watch it. Anybody peep?

Yeah, I'm familiar with Malik's style, pros and cons. I still watched his movies despite not liking much recently.

That will be the day when somebody gets him to be direct and straightforward with a film. He could make a comedy or straight up action flick, hell even a superhero flick and it would still be the most out there exploratory meandering loose pacing 3 hour movie.

Not that he's a hack but I thinking he thinks he's on Kubrick's level with some of his choices.

As for Hostiles, no biggie not catching it in theaters. Its not some great must see western. This aint no Black Mass though :lol: I liked a Valley of Violence better as far as recent westerns go (while acknowledging at the same time they are different types of westerns).

Watch this if you haven't already... An exact remake of Unforgiven but set in Japan at the end of the Samurai era (Feudal Japan) starring Ken Watanabe in Eastwood's leading role. Very very well done. Watanabe is an awesome actor. Another one that has real screen presence.

Did you have any problems watching Brokeback Mountain?

Nope. Or The Danish Girl, or Dallas Buyers Club , and I'll be watching that Disobedience movie up there. But from the trailer, it looks like an older man sexes up and falls in love with a much younger under-age boy. That's why I asked if anyone has seen it. Watching statutory rape play out as a love story is a bit different yes? Or no? Love is love?

Watch this if you haven't already... An exact remake of Unforgiven but set in Japan at the end of the Samurai era (Feudal Japan) starring Ken Watanabe in Eastwood's leading role. Very very well done. Watanabe is an awesome actor. Another one that has real screen presence.

I did see it but didn't catch the entire thing. Will have to watch again.
Nope. Or The Danish Girl, or Dallas Buyers Club , and I'll be watching that Disobedience movie up there. But from the trailer, it looks like an older man sexes up and falls in love with a much younger under-age boy. That's why I asked if anyone has seen it. Watching statutory rape play out as a love story is a bit different yes? Or no? Love is love?
I saw it. The statutory part didn't play a role in the movie. Family took it like it was normal. Kid was 17. That's legal in most states here.

I haven't seen or heard much credible backlash about it from the gay community or anywhere else. So they either all being apologist or its not an issue

As far as the story, its pretty much the other way around so I dunno if that was another angle to make it not statutory rape.

Just saw it.

Real good but it is just a coming of age playful romance about a young gay (or bi) Jewish boy falling in love with a slightly older gay Jewish guy :lol:

Scenery was beautiful (I love Italy), sound track/score was real good. Well acted by Hammer and Chalamet.

6.2/8
Stuhlburg killed it with his monologue at the end man
Such an understanding father. His role was small but he was very good which I expected given his performance on Boardwalk Empire and other work.

But man I couldn't relate when Elio was telling his dad he almost had sex with that one girl.
You know their filthy church likes little boys albeit a lil younger than that...
Everybody in the movie is Jewish :lol:

Wasn't on that catholic steez.

Last edited:
Wind River. Just finished. Nothing really extraordinary about it TBH. Maybe my expectations were just a little too high. Would not watch again.

Ohhhh, I wasn’t even thinking about it from a statutory rape angle. If you decide to watch it, it doesn’t come across like that all.

Back
Top Bottom