Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

i really enjoyed wind river.
want to see annihilation really badly but i’ll proban have to catch it when it comes out online. black panther is next for the theater date night.

Mudbound was okay.
Typical though.
Nothing new.
We've seen the story countless times.
Nothing special.

I can't really get down with Jason Mitchell.
He's too smiley. He has zero range. He's getting a lot of roles.
I feel like he was born to play EasyE
Don't like him in this at all.

But it's watchable.

Can't wait for Coogler's next project, Wrong Answer with Michael B (about the Atlanta school system cheating scandal).

Mudbound was okay.
Typical though.
Nothing new.
We've seen the story countless times.
Nothing special.

I can't really get down with Jason Mitchell.
He's too smiley. He has zero range. He's getting a lot of roles.
I feel like he was born to play EasyE
Don't like him in this at all.

But it's watchable.

Saw it this morning.

It was really good.

Mary J Blige was great in it.

Yo what the hell, I remember seeing the Flatliners remake trailer what felt like years ago then didn't hear anything about it. Walk past a redbox just now and I see it's out on DVD. Look up the release date: September 2017. What the actual?! Did anybody watch this??

Yo what the hell, I remember seeing the Flatliners remake trailer what felt like years ago then didn't hear anything about it. Walk past a redbox just now and I see it's out on DVD. Look up the release date: September 2017. What the actual?! Did anybody watch this??
I just saw it a couple of days ago. It was garbage. A lot of the "haunting" made no sense too me. I wouldn't waste your time.

Game Night 5.6/8

Had its very funny parts to it.

Lamorne's Denzel impression :lol: Creepy *** Jesse Plemmons :rofl:

Could've been funnier.

on the second ep of altered carbon. low-budget wannabe blade runner visuals, horrible dialogue but i’m in it to the end :lol:

Annihilation 6/8

Reminded me slightly of Arrival in tone and visuals although I'd say this had way better cinematography. Also similar in story structure the way it jumped around in time.

This story was way different though with the mystery they're trying to figure out. Felt it was better. Makes me want to read the book.

This 3rd act was wild. Guess its some sort of aliens or cosmic quantum phenomena. Still don't get what thwir purpose was or how theybgit there but again it makes me want to read the book and its sequel. That ending with "Kane" :smh:

All my baes were good in it; Natalie, Gina, Tessa, Jennifer

A pretty dope trippy sci-fi flick. Weird but strong follow up for Gatland coming off Ex Machina.

Giving Power Rangers a watch.

EDIT

This was good for like a hour and a half.

This was good but not very good.

I dug the training approach, the different take on the rangers; being screwups, outsiders,

My problems were how some scenes were shot like the training. In the damn caverns, putting the camera in weird places to capture these enclosed fighting areas. Then that night fight with Rita at the docks. Like why do that?

Then the mood got a bit too emo and depressing. The stakes really didn't show how dire things were for them to be so down on themselves. Then how the **** do you not perform CPR when a black man is dopped in to a water tied up left to drown? Not a single attempt :smh: :lol: Them it just got mad melodramatic after that.

Something was a bit off with the writing. Banks did what she could but I feel like they don't know how to write an evil person without making it corny. It was like they told Banks to do her best imitation of Rita from the show :lol:

The references in this were ridiculous :lol: Spider-Man, Iron Man, Bumblebee, yippe Kiya mother-, come at me bro. Writer(s) tried a bit too hard. Same with Billy's lines.

Also why was this final fight so reckless? :rofl: They were suppose to save the town not demolish it. 3rd act did play out like an episode though :lol: A reverse suplex though?

They forgot to use the classic Power Rangers theme music when the mega zord appeared too :smh:

5.7/8

Trini, Rita, and Kimberly all looked fine though.

Last edited:
Viola Davis to Hollywood: If I’m a Black Meryl Streep, Then ‘Pay Me What I’m Worth'
MerylStreepViolaDavis.jpg

http://people.com/movies/viola-davis-hollywood-if-im-black-meryl-streep-then-pay-me-what-im-worth/

Viola Davis wants her due.

The award-winning actress sat down with famed journalist Tina Brown for the Women in the World Salon event in Los Angeles Tuesday night, where she opened up about feeling underpaid and overlooked throughout her celebrated, 30-year career.

“I have a career that’s probably comparable to Meryl Streep, Julianne Moore, Sigourney Weaver,” said the actress and Juilliard graduate. “They all came out of Yale, they came out of Juilliard, they came out of NYU. They had the same path as me, and yet I am nowhere near them. Not as far as money, not as far as job opportunities, no where close to it.”

While critics and fans have likened her work to major A-list stars like Streep, who she costarred alongside in Doubt, Davis said her compensation has not been comparable to her white contemporaries.

“People say, ‘You’re a black Meryl Streep … We love you. There is no one like you,” she explained. “OK, then if there’s no one like me, you think I’m that, you pay me what I’m worth.”

Davis also said she’s been disappointed with the roles available to her. “As an artist I want to build the most complicated human being but what I get is the third girl from the left,” the How to Get Away With Murder star explained.

After years of making the most out of limited screen time, Davis said she’s tired of hustling to prove herself. “It’s gotten to the point [where] I’m no longer doing that,” she said. “I’m not hustling for my worth. I’m worthy. When I came out of my mom’s womb, I came in worthy.”

She went on to encourage young actors of color not to settle for less. “You’ll have a Shailene Woodley, who’s fabulous. And she may have had 37 magazine covers in one year. 37! And then you’ll have someone — a young actress of color who’s on her same level of talent and everything. And she may get four. And there is sense in our culture that you have to be happy with that,” she explained.

“I always mention what Shonda Rhimes said when she got the Normal Lear Award at ... the Producers Guild Awards about two or three years ago,” she continued. “She held it up and she said, ‘I accept this award because I believe I deserve it. Because when I walk in the room I ask for what I want and I expect to get it. And that’s why I believe I deserve this award. Because Norman Lear was a pioneer, and so am I.’ And that’s revolutionary as a woman, but it’s doubly revolutionary as a woman of color. ‘Cause we have been riding the caboose of the train — we really have. And it’s time enough for that.”

But, Davis said, she did not always feel so empowered. Speaking about growing up in poverty in Rhode Island, she said, “The getting out is precarious,” adding, “Emotionally I did not get out.”

Raised by an abusive, alcoholic father in a rat-infested house, she said, “I was a rung lower than poor. People see poverty as just a financial state. Poverty seeps into your mind, it seeps into your spirit, because it has side effects.”

Her difficult childhood has motivated her to speak out for others, as she did in an emotional address to the January 20 Women’s March in L.A, where Davis spoke on behalf of “the women who don’t have the money and don’t have the constitution and who don’t have the confidence and who don’t have the images in our media that gives them a sense of self-worth enough to break their silence that is rooted in the shame of assault and rooted in the stigma of assault.”

“It cost me a lot to be on that stage and share my personal story,” she told Brown. “The way life works is its got to cost you something. That’s when you know you really made the sacrifices. If you’re dedicated to change, let it cost you something.”

Back
Top Bottom