Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

While I love Tremors 1, there something about Tremors 2 that hits me in the right spots. Its the weaker movie but damn, I love it. Its also on HBOGo along with Tremors 1

Loved Airborne so much had my pops cop me a nice pair of rollerblades for the summer to take back to JA. Only problem is Jamaican roads were terrible and I was essentially always walking in those things. Downhill dreams crushed.

Upgrade was ******* great! 6.8/8

Brutal? Man some of these scenes were beyond brutal. These deaths and the context they go down in. You take some of the plot out and that's exactly the kind of action and violence a Death Wish remake needed.

This had Ex Machina vibes with the overall theme and concept. Especially the ending.

Basically this dude has HAL from a 2001 Space Oddysey in his head enabling to use his body again and not be a quadriplegic.

All of it was another great example of why I'm telling yall need to be vigilant about these robots and A.I.

Logan Marshall Green did his thing. Well acted. He's one of these white male actors on the come up I dig.

The twist in the end is something I would've saw coming but that twist ending is the gut punch I love and need to see more of.

The movie was just on point. Had some good laughs in it too when dude's body gets taken over.

Even the little common tricks they did were pulled off nicely. Dug the role of the creepy genius in this. That detective though :smh:

Plus the world building just snapped in to place. Establish this near future and made it all rather believable. The whole post-human wave is something that should be explored more in movies.

I thoroughly enjoyed this. Definitely recommend and I may view again soon.

Last edited:
When I first saw the Upgrade trailer, it seemed like absolutely trash but then I read about the good word of mouth and the positive reviews. It’s reminding me of Edge of Tomorrow, a real good sci fi flick that a studio is doing a poor job of marketing. I’ll have to check it out.

Last 3 movies i saw...

12 Strong - 2.1/8
I LOVE watching movies that show the fight against terrorism, etc. But this wasn't it. It was flat out terrible and I actually dozed off.

Message From the King - 2.2/8
This movie sucked. Taken with a South African twist. Got dude from Black Panther as the lead, and if you all can make it through more than 35 minutes, then more power to you. Let me know how it ends.

Red Sparrow - 5.5/8
I know this movie got killed by critics, but I really enjoyed it. Gotta listen past Jennifer Lawrence's bad accent, and it's actually a good/smart plot. Things were set up nicely for a sequel, so I'll be curious to see if they do indeed keep the story going.

Squeezed in another movie before the Caps game...

15:17 to Paris - 0/8
Awful...just awful. Clint Eastwood casted the actual heroes of that day to play themselves in the movie. You get 10 minutes of action on the train, the other 80+ of the movie is just terribly acted backstory. Don't even waste your time.

Caught Upgrade. Really good. Reminded me of Wick a lot. Some of the action, dead wife,
The tone.

Really well done. I’m glad the A.I won :lol:

Weekend was to busy to go to the movies... Will take the kid to see Upgrade this weekend.

The time jump in Patrick Melrose was too big a jump but still a superbly acted mini series. This should be a lock for best actor & best supporting actor mini series for the GG & the Emmys.

Got dayum, I think Ana de Armas (Blade Runner 2049) was the hottest actress in any film for 2017... Tell me who you think was more beautiful than her...

Last few films I've seen recently:

Game Night - 7.5/8: LOVED it. Hilarious from start to finish.

Molly's Game - 6.5/8: Solid directing debut from Aaron Sorkin. Chastain, who's one of my fave current actresses, was great.

Solo: A Star Wars Story - 6/8: Good film overall. Certain parts lagged a little but I thoroughly enjoyed the film.

Weekend was to busy to go to the movies... Will take the kid to see Upgrade this weekend.

The time jump in Patrick Melrose was too big a jump but still a superbly acted mini series. This should be a lock for best actor & best supporting actor mini series for the GG & the Emmys.

Got dayum, I think Ana de Armas (Blade Runner 2049) was the hottest actress in any film for 2017... Tell me who you think was more beautiful than her...

She's damn fine. Jennifer Lawrence was looking good in red sparrow, that's all I can think of right now. I can't believe de Armas is 30. She looks 19 or 20 :lol:

blade runner 2049: 7/8

loved spending time in this world man

i can def understand why this wouldnt resonate w/ the average moviegoer but sheesh this was a visual/aural feast

signed up for letterboxd the other day to keep track past watches/upcoming things and without even think was rating things on a /8 scale damn yall :lol:

blade runner 2049: 7/8

loved spending time in this world man

i can def understand why this wouldnt resonate w/ the average moviegoer but sheesh this was a visual/aural feast

signed up for letterboxd the other day to keep track past watches/upcoming things and without even think was rating things on a /8 scale damn yall :lol:

When I took my then 13yr old (14 now), I told him that isn't an action movie. I told him this is basically an old school detective movie set in a sci-fi world with some action & special FX... He dug it & said he gave it a 4.5/5 (our scoring). He loved that it kind was futuristic but the tech look old school.

Edit- in fact this older couple sitting next to us heard me say this to my son before the movie started. Afterwards, they thanked me for saying that bcs it changed their mindset going into the movie. They said they would've been disappointed bcs they were expecting a big action flick.

The more & more I watch this movie, the more I love it. The cast, the score, the cinematography...

And speaking of cinematography, I'm rediscovering Wong Kar-wai... Watched Fallen Angels & In The Mood For Love. He & Christopher Doyle are frickin' artists... If you call yourself a fan of film, you have to watch Wong Kar-wai...

Last edited:
A couple flicks I watched over the weekend:
Patti Cake$ - Decent. I didn't like the songs or the PBNJ vibe but Patti's character had solid delivery. I had no idea Bridget Everett was in it who's a hilarious comedian. Worth checking out.
Ouija: Origin of Evil - Creepier than I was expecting. I can't remember anything about the first one and this was obviously a prequel given the setting. The little girl does a great job. I enjoyed it.

Sucesssion was wild boring. HBO let me down. The main son who was gonna take over is cast well but nothing compelling or cool in the script. Not sure what they're going for.

Plus they ain't even let Brian Cox flourish.

And another thing, I'm watching Secretary and some of yall lied to me. This movie does not make Maggie Gyllenhaal sexy at all. This movie about some weird awkward white lady who likes to hurt and disfigure herself and her uptight boss with a spanking fetish.

Not sexy AT ALL. Just creepy and disturbing.

And speaking of cinematography, I'm rediscovering Wong Kar-wai... Watched Fallen Angels & In The Mood For Love. He & Christopher Doyle are frickin' artists... If you call yourself a fan of film, you have to watch Wong Kar-wai...

Real ones know. Chungking Express and In The Mood For Love are top 5 movies to me.

Fallen Angels has been creeping up my List with every rewatch. Watched it twice this year already. Probably has my favorite ending ever. So beautiful man
rsz_o08pp5r.png

When I took my then 13yr old (14 now), I told him that isn't an action movie. I told him this is basically an old school detective movie set in a sci-fi world with some action & special FX... He dug it & said he gave it a 4.5/5 (our scoring). He loved that it kind was futuristic but the tech look old school.

Edit- in fact this older couple sitting next to us heard me say this to my son before the movie started. Afterwards, they thanked me for saying that bcs it changed their mindset going into the movie. They said they would've been disappointed bcs they were expecting a big action flick.

The more & more I watch this movie, the more I love it. The cast, the score, the cinematography...

yeah the tech was amazing

thanks for the reco man both those guys' output seems right up my alley

will def check

any of yall do film podcasts?

i bounce around a lot depending on what kind of mood im in but in terms of comedic leaning reviews this one is my current favorite

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/blank-check-with-griffin-david/id981330533?mt=2

one guy is a reviewer for the atlantic and is the straight man

the other is an actor (i guess hes second billed on the tick on prime video) and is jokes

good analysis and really funny

Back
Top Bottom