Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Caught Bohemian Rhapsody, it was a solid movie. I thought it was going to be a long one at first but it just went by fast. Last part was crazy, how they recreated the whole thing. The only thing I didn't like about it is how they messed with the timeline. I guess they had to, to make it a little more theatrical. 6/8

Edit. And Mike Myers cameo was gold. :lol:

Rewatched a couple of Films today.
ONe was Social Network.

Man, SOrkin killed the script BUT, if he got ANYBODY else besides Fincher to Direct, this thing isn't iconic.

The opening scene alone, 7minutes of Mark and Erica having verbal Warfare.........moves outside to quiet, dark, melodic atmosphere where Mark Jogs home(takes him 4minutes to Jog home, the Camera legit followed him all the way home) <<<<<<<This setup is insane as he moves inside to his dorm room to Murder(online) his Ex GF who just broke up with him, Grabs a beer and logs on, 10 minutes in now and he's going in on the Broad......he gets the idea for Face Mash and music intensifies, now all of his mates are in the room with him and finally, Eduardo walks in...............gives Mark the Algo and boom it goes live, ex GF Erica catches wind and cries while the Dean is contacted because they have increased Harvards Network Traffic to something that would resemble online Traffic you'd see "At Halftime of the SuperBowl", they shut the Network down........

So Funkking Flames those 2 scenes.......Perfection.

Agree with everything said about Social Network. Masterfully done. It’s crazy how the idea for that movie could have been a made for tv or hallmark type film. The story of how a social media company was made. Whoopty doo Basil! But Finches made it so much more interesting

Went the MoMA's Contender's Series screening for Widows last night which was followed by a Q&A w/ the director Steve McQueen

tumblr_phxh6nop7N1qbksez_640.jpg

tumblr_phxh4q2mDU1qbksez_640.jpg

Quite frankly, I loved it.

I don't want to give the film away but if you're expecting a full blown heist film from start to finish, this isn't that. However, that doesn't take away from the brilliance of the film.

Being that the movie takes place in Chicago, McQueen cleverly includes the inner city struggles that's plaguing the city within the plot which strengthens the story line, imo

The entire cast is A1. Viola is majestic on screen per usual. Feminist will surely love the way women are portrayed in this movie.

Also, Daniel Kaluuya is menacing every time he appears on screen. Oh & shout out the Cool Kids for making an appearance as well.

I'm being vague on purpose because I don't want to ruin anything :lol: :lol:

Overall, Widows is a highly entertaining film that has a message without being preachy or dull at any point.

7.4 / 8

Went the MoMA's Contender's Series screening for Widows last night which was followed by a Q&A w/ the director Steve McQueen

tumblr_phxh6nop7N1qbksez_640.jpg

tumblr_phxh4q2mDU1qbksez_640.jpg

Quite frankly, I loved it.

I don't want to give the film away but if you're expecting a full blown heist film from start to finish, this isn't that. However, that doesn't take away from the brilliance of the film.

Being that the movie takes place in Chicago, McQueen cleverly includes the inner city struggles that's plaguing the city within the plot which strengthens the story line, imo

The entire cast is A1. Viola is majestic on screen per usual. Feminist will surely love the way women are portrayed in this movie.

Also, Daniel Kaluuya is menacing every time he appears on screen. Oh & shout out the Cool Kids for making an appearance as well.

I'm being vague on purpose because I don't want to ruin anything :lol: :lol:

Overall, Widows is a highly entertaining film that has a message without being preachy or dull at any point.

7.4 / 8
McQueen is a gifted director. Anyone expecting a heist flick from him never saw any of his films. I was interested in this months ago when the trailer first dropped bcs I had no idea McQueen directed the flick. Once I found out it was his project, I was all in. I'm glad to see Daniel Kaluuya getting shine. He's proving to be a very very good actor.

NYC/Brooklyn heads. Anyone ever catch a movie at BAM? Worth it?

I've seen a few films at BAM. My advice, get there early. They're known for overselling movie tickets. I've seen ppl standing up at the back of the theater or sitting on the steps because there weren't enough seats for ticket holders.

McQueen is a gifted director. Anyone expecting a heist flick from him never saw any of his films. I was interested in this months ago when the trailer first dropped bcs I had no idea McQueen directed the flick. Once I found out it was his project, I was all in. I'm glad to see Daniel Kaluuya getting shine. He's proving to be a very very good actor.

I agree with you about McQueen's film style but trailers do tend to mislead audiences.

I've seen a few films at BAM. My advice, get there early. They're known for overselling movie tickets. I've seen ppl standing up at the back of the theater or sitting on the steps because there weren't enough seats for ticket holders.

Oh wow. Yeah I don't live far at all so I was curious how a viewing is there.

I meant to say I wasn't into Widows when I first saw the trailer (not knowing it was McQueen's movie)... When I found out it was his movie, I was in. I knew it wasn't going to be a heist movie.

The post about BAM... People sitting/standing up in the back or other parts of an oversold theater? That's a fire code violation like a mother...

Overlord 6/8

Good flick. Nice little wartime science gone wrong (or right) monsterish movie.

Russell was shockingly good in his role. Prefer him in roles like this compared to as Dud on Lodge 49.

Adept was real good as well. Can be a lead. His character wqs a little too good for the setting and period but for ppl that lean that way morality wise.

Prospect 5.2/8

This was cool. This movie was basically prospecting in space. They mine some rare rock from these creatures and its worth a lot so ppl are looking to get rich. Along with prospecting comes the wild wild west type rules. So this was like a space western the way ppl were getting shot at.

With that in mind the pace was a little too slow even for a 100 min movie. Pedro did his thing a bit. Main actress was okay as well. The movie simply didn't allow for like great performances script wise. Everybody did their thing. Bubbles too.

Girl in the Spider's Web 7.2/8

This was good. My outside issue was this was made with nobodies for the most part. I miss Rooney and even Craig as the journalist. Most famous actor in this is Lakeith Stanfield and if you know Claire Foy, you know Claire Foy who has only recently broke out movie wise.

The story for this was really really good. 3rd act had me.

Bohemian Rhapsody 6.7/8

Good movie. Great performance by Rami.

The messed up timeline definitely did it hurt it. Despite 2 hours it did seem rushed the way they went through the years. 15 years in 2 hours.

Would've liked to see the making of We Are the Champions.

I dont shy away from gay stuff but it did seem a little heavy innuendo wise. Like just show a damn sex scene.

Did not expect my boy Littlefinger to be in this or for him to be the one to get snaked :lol:

Live Aid performance was great.

Last edited:
Girl in the Spider's Web 7.2/8

This was good. My outside issue was this was made with nobodies for the most part. I miss Rooney and even Craig as the journalist. Most famous actor in this is Lakeith Stanfield and if you know Claire Foy, you know Claire Foy who has only recently broke out movie wise.

The story for this was really really good. 3rd act had me.

Claire was perfect IF, you are replacing Mara. She gets down. Real chops that one.

Anyone watch Outlaw King? Wondering if its anything like Braveheart, may watch this weekend or next.

Overlord -- 6 / 8

- First 15 minutes were wild -- probably one of the best intros I've seen in a film
- Wyatt Russell had some of his dad's charisma in this
- Score + shot choices + pacing were really nicely done
- I didn't realize the Nazi officer was Euron Greyjoy :lol:

Master Zik Master Zik -- thank you for the rec/thoughts

Skate Kitchen 5/8 - Well done. All the ladies had legit chemistry. Happy to see skate movies like this and mid90s being made.

Overlord -- 6 / 8

- First 15 minutes were wild -- probably one of the best intros I've seen in a film
- Wyatt Russell had some of his dad's charisma in this
- Score + shot choices + pacing were really nicely done
- I didn't realize the Nazi officer was Euron Greyjoy :lol:

Master Zik Master Zik -- thank you for the rec/thoughts
Damn I didnt realize that either :lol: He got a future being a villain.

The start was wild and got use to it. Let me know a lot more ppl were gonna die.

Back
Top Bottom