Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

People are speculating it’s a vision/fever dream of Rey’s, or that there’s an evil Rey clone.

It’s 100% a vision or a dream. This is something that would be cool to see in the movie, but putting in their marketing is an annoying fakeout

Angel Has Fallen 2/8 - Grading it harshly because the plot is so bad. I didn't mind some of the action sequences. Went to the 4DX showing here in San Diego and HARD PASS on doing that again. Got motion sickness almost instantly and it didn't make the movie any better...

Godzilla: King of Monsters 3/8 - These big monster movies don't work anymore for me. They tried to capitalize on the celebrity of Millie Bobby Brown threw in some recognizables like Vera Farmiga and Thomas Middleditch (who aren't in the 2014 version) but this was a failure in my mind.

Saw Good Boys over the weekend. Pretty funny but not nearly as funny as Superbad which was expected. A couple moments where I felt it dragged a little too much but nothing crazy. I enjoyed it.

5/8

NimbleMatureCleanerwrasse-size_restricted.gif

Caught Once Upon a Time in Hollywood the other day

Saw it the other day. I always go into Tarantino with an open mind because I never really know the experience he's set out for the audience... this one took a long awhile to click for me but once it did I really did enjoy it. I liked the free form nature of the movie and how the days in the life of the characters transitioned back and forth throughout. Soundtrack was excellent, cinematography top notch, the acting was strong as well, particularly from Leo, and Brad Pitt never looked more comfortable in a role that fit him perfectly. Margot Robbie might have been dancing more than she spoke, but the effect of her character made its mark on the movie. All three played their role effectively. It felt like it lacked some of the sharpness of classic Tarantino dialogue, but it was still there. I also don't expect him to have the same zip to every movie and every character, but I did miss some of that back and forth.

I want to see it again because it honestly wasn't until the end when he was describing the flame thrower he had in his tool shed that I absolutely lost it in the theater. It's like the whole movie built up to that one joke and I couldn't stop laughing at the absurdity and the story we were just told. The tension at the ranch was done very well, Cliff's flashback on the roof, going into the filming of the TV series and how the camera pulled back after Rick messed up the lines (incredible), and the way Pacino set up the idea of the audience's expectations as he was describing Rick's career and future. All just great and some of my favorite parts of the movie.

Overall, I really liked it. It was a very different experience and watch. I want to see it in the theater again because I feel like you need the 100% uninterrupted focus otherwise the movie will meander a bit. Great performances, great soundtrack as usual, I liked the story, and other than lacking some sharpness in the dialogue and maybe a few too many moments of aimlessness, it was a strong addition to the Tarantino catalog. I don't know where it ranks, but it's likely in the top half just off the strength of the two leads.

And finally watched Arrival after falling asleep 10 minutes in like a year ago.
Holy hell what a great movie. The layers they had with the double meanings of the phrases and words will make it very entertaining to rewatch. When you realize the twist of time not being linear and how that opens up so many possibilities within the story, the reveal of Louise telling the Chinese general his wife's dying words gave me a strong Nolan vibe, but it hit so hard. Realizing that it wasn't her past she was seeing with her daughter but her future and the idea that she could have avoided all the pain and sadness but chose to go forward with it anyway... holy hell. Not to mention the actual bones of the movie itself. The score was incredible, as was the cinematography, especially with the flashforwards. Villeneuve is a damn good director and on my list of the best doing it right now. Adams was great, as usual, oh my god do I love Amy Adams, and Hawkeye managed not to screw up the movie, so that's positive. I slept hard on it, but easily one of my favorites of the last few years.

Agree J. I've seen it twice in theaters and it was even better the second time around picking up the small details I missed the first time. As you said, the tension at the ranch was REAL. I was legit worried for old dude. :lol: And the ending......I felt like QT had been setting me up and pulled the rug out from under me. I was mad at myself that I should have seen that coming, ala Inglorious. But loved every single second of it.

I know he's got 9 films, and honestly I count True Romance as his unofficial 10th film, and I don't rank them anymore. They are all great. I've seen/read/heard complaints about Jackie Brown, or Death Proof, but I don't agree with any of that. Both those films are great. (In their own ways) His resume is pristine, IMO. 1-10, or 10-1, don't matter, they are all great.

“Well, believe it or not I actually have a flamethrower in my tool shed.”

Both times I was at the theater the audience lost it.

I was laughin my *** off when he just walked out the shed with it. :lol:

When he actually shot the thing into the pool I was howlin. That image was awesome.

Watching Venom right now. While I have not seen all of his movies, it still amazes me that Tom Hardy has not sounded the same in any two things I’ve seen him in...

Back
Top Bottom