Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

WW1984 was probably one of the worst superhero movies i seen in a while now that i think about it some more :lol:

the 70s years in between the first movie turned Diana into a morally bankrupt lady that just wanted to get laid. The way Steve comes back and Diana's whole reaction to it is just ******* bizarre to me.

I see people trashing it and upset but I mentally checked out of the DCEU a long time ago so I had no expectations. Sorry for the dudes still expecting the Snyder cut to be it :lol:

WW84 was pretty okay for what it was.

Off the jump, I noticed how much the First World War, the mystery of Themyscara (sp?) and building up the Amazons, war forces, and main characters added so much to OG WW feeling like a real moment.

84? Felt like they got high off their own supply, thinking that we cared about Diana & Trev outside of context, so they could go ahead and play with it. Nah, b.

Been thinking on how I'd describe what worked and didn't in the movie, but almost everything actually worked to me. It was just like...oh THAT'S what yall felt like doing? And that's how long you wanna give it? Aight...

Easiest way to describe it would be filling in the things that weren't there and should've been. It's a 'choose your own adventure' for what you think should've been dumped, but I guess this is what I think should've been there.

I needed to know why 1984 mattered. Why not WWII or civil rights or even leaning into the Cold War? Running with the theme of jealousy & greed is pretty soap opera if you don't have the teeth (Rated R) to go there with it. OG WW was about the war and the hatreds of men, and how women fight differently (with empathy), but bring it when bringing it is called for. You risk creating an episodic supersequel vibe...as if there'll be 5 more of these soon.

What happened in the 50 years between OG WW & this movie? You can't skate on that and have us think anything from the first one really mattered. 1/3 of that movie was the Amazons and linked directly to the war. Almost none of this one was, and you disconnect from source at the cost of the real. That makes our hero just another one.

Having Amazons around her feeling like fish outta water, would've changed the whole movie. Let her be the one to teach them how to live in the land of men, something she was on the flip side of. I liked Pedro and Cheetah. They made sense to me by the end, but the drag and wait for what they'd eventually become was a lot of repetitive work.

If I wanted to describe my big influences from just watching it, I'd say: Wall Street, Stranger Things, Single White Female, Kilgrave from Jessica Jones S1 and Meet Joe Black. That's maybe 2 influences too many, and has me wondering why OG Wonder Woman wasn't one of them. It doesn't even feel influenced by it's own previous movie.

The first one stood out; this feels like this is trying to fit in. The strongest vein they could've tapped into imo, was having Pedro & Chris Pine's characters be the same person. That gives the film stakes it didn't have otherwise and frees up so much time. It makes it matter to us differently and shows that her values really would mean more than what her heart wants. And it'd make OG WW mean something more.

But that's just my mind, being my mind. :emoji_v: 4.5/8

I see people trashing it and upset but I mentally checked out of the DCEU a long time ago so I had no expectations. Sorry for the dudes still expecting the Snyder cut to be it :lol:
Yeah, that's what some ppl don't get when you mentally checkout of a franchise.

Like you not gonna get a BvS or X-Men Apocalypse reaction out of me with DC movies anymore but don't think cuz my review is lighthearted doesn't mean the movie was good. If I **** on the movie and give weak praise and say I liked it, that was a backhanded compliment :lol: Same thing happened with the last two Star Wars sequel movies.

Last edited:
Not to bring it up again but man I the Pam and Jim and the off camera **** sucked. First you got Jim out of nowhere being verbally abusive of Pam and stops just short of "stupid *****", then Pam selfishly using the sound guy for attention knowing it could cost him his job. Then just the sound guy's existence, stupid.

And.........

30 minutes down of 90 before I fell asleep, but it is a unique story I never watch and I was enjoying it... JCVD looks waaaaay younger than he did on the Friends Season 1 episode he’s in (my lone exposure to him) and that was just six years after this. I’ll finish it later today.

Great scene and movie, 90s era collab between Hackman and Denzel struck hard for me.

^^^ Gene Hackman is a fantastic actor. Crazy that he hasn’t done a movie since 2004. He was in his 70s when he retired, but I’m sure could have kept working a bit longer if he wanted to.

I guess that makes sense, being born in 85 JCVD was a big part of my childhood.

I remember watching Death Warrant at a friend's bday party when we were 10 :lol:

Sand Man used to creep me TF out.

Nowhere to Run, Lionheart, Sudden Death, Bloodsport, Kickboxer and Hard Target were all in heavy rotation growing up.

JCVD/Seagal/Stallone/Arnold in general. I loved those 80's/early 90's action flicks as a kid.

Had a chance to Watch Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, great film the cast put on a master piece.

Great performance by Chadwick especially in a particular scene. wont spoil

WW84 was pretty okay for what it was.

Off the jump, I noticed how much the First World War, the mystery of Themyscara (sp?) and building up the Amazons, war forces, and main characters added so much to OG WW feeling like a real moment.

84? Felt like they got high off their own supply, thinking that we cared about Diana & Trev outside of context, so they could go ahead and play with it. Nah, b.

Been thinking on how I'd describe what worked and didn't in the movie, but almost everything actually worked to me. It was just like...oh THAT'S what yall felt like doing? And that's how long you wanna give it? Aight...

Easiest way to describe it would be filling in the things that weren't there and should've been. It's a 'choose your own adventure' for what you think should've been dumped, but I guess this is what I think should've been there.

I needed to know why 1984 mattered. Why not WWII or civil rights or even leaning into the Cold War? Running with the theme of jealousy & greed is pretty soap opera if you don't have the teeth (Rated R) to go there with it. OG WW was about the war and the hatreds of men, and how women fight differently (with empathy), but bring it when bringing it is called for. You risk creating an episodic supersequel vibe...as if there'll be 5 more of these soon.

What happened in the 50 years between OG WW & this movie? You can't skate on that and have us think anything from the first one really mattered. 1/3 of that movie was the Amazons and linked directly to the war. Almost none of this one was, and you disconnect from source at the cost of the real. That makes our hero just another one.

Having Amazons around her feeling like fish outta water, would've changed the whole movie. Let her be the one to teach them how to live in the land of men, something she was on the flip side of. I liked Pedro and Cheetah. They made sense to me by the end, but the drag and wait for what they'd eventually become was a lot of repetitive work.

If I wanted to describe my big influences from just watching it, I'd say: Wall Street, Stranger Things, Single White Female, Kilgrave from Jessica Jones S1 and Meet Joe Black. That's maybe 2 influences too many, and has me wondering why OG Wonder Woman wasn't one of them. It doesn't even feel influenced by it's own previous movie.

The first one stood out; this feels like this is trying to fit in. The strongest vein they could've tapped into imo, was having Pedro & Chris Pine's characters be the same person. That gives the film stakes it didn't have otherwise and frees up so much time. It makes it matter to us differently and shows that her values really would mean more than what her heart wants. And it'd make OG WW mean something more.

But that's just my mind, being my mind. :emoji_v: 4.5/8

I have missed these. :pimp:

Have you seen Brightburn? Did you like it? :nerd:

Back
Top Bottom