Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Unpopular opinion: Tropic Thunder big trash.

-foe

Nah I'm with you on this. I remember back in 08 all my friends hyping TF out of it and I had the ultimate :stoneface: face when I finally saw it.

Comedy is subjective as hell though. Like I was in tears first couple times I watched Napoleon Dynamite and I know people who had the same reaction to that that I had to Tropic Thunder.

Robert Downey Jr makes it worth watching alone to me :lol:
Its only cuz it's a comedy but its truly one of the greatest performances in acting. They reached a level in comedy few can get to :lol:

There are two things from that movie I’ve become unwillingly aware of after they seeped into popular culture:

- Tony Stark in blackface
- A phrase mocking people with developmental disabilities

And you thought I’d help you defend it?
No Meth. No.

You gotta watch it and dismiss those biases. Once you catch on to what they were doing you can appreciate it.

Its only cuz it's a comedy but its truly one of the greatest performances in acting. They reached a level in comedy few can get to :lol:

No Meth. No.

You gotta watch it and dismiss those biases. Once you catch on to what they were doing you can appreciate it.

I look at it that they’re making fun of how big of jackasses the actors they are playing are
I get why people wouldn’t be down with it though

Nine Days

Different. Odd. Interesting. Thoughtful. Not an A24 film but A24ish. If you like Black Mirror and Twilight Zone then you'll probably like this. An examination of life through different ppl's perspective but not in a way that you would ever imagine. I appreciated the unique take on where we come, can't say I've ever seen that idea in a movie before. Pace is slow and there's a lot of talking so beware. I enjoyed it.

75578E36-5ACB-4EEB-8523-1B47C207C4B9.gif

I look at it that they’re making fun of how big of jackasses the actors they are playing are
I get why people wouldn’t be down with it though
It was such an on point critique and roasting of actors and Hollywood.

He plays a French actor so method in his acting he really thought he could play a black man. Then RDJR nails all of that :rofl: ******* genius.

It's is probably just on its face too offensive for ppl today.

Last edited:
Tropic Thunder slander?!? :smh:

Top 3 comedy movie all time for me. Just so many hilarious parts, one-liners, performances etc...

Nine Days

Different. Odd. Interesting. Thoughtful. Not an A24 film but A24ish. If you like Black Mirror and Twilight Zone then you'll probably like this. An examination of life through different ppl's perspective but not in a way that you would ever imagine. I appreciated the unique take on where we come, can't say I've ever seen that idea in a movie before. Pace is slow and there's a lot of talking so beware. I enjoyed it.

I kept wanting to just watch the trailer. Dont know what was preventing me. Said I was gonna watch the movie regardless for my boy Winston Duke alone.

Might bring me back out to the theater again now that I know more about the story. Right in my wheelhouse.

Last edited:
I think Tropic Thunder is great. But it is high level satire that requires some level of familiarity with how the movie industry/actors work to really get it. So, there are definitely some people who will find it funny for the wrong reasons. That said, seems unfair to hold it against the writers and actors that some people who watch it are dumb-asses.

Nah I'm with you on this. I remember back in 08 all my friends hyping TF out of it and I had the ultimate :stoneface: face when I finally saw it.

Comedy is subjective as hell though. Like I was in tears first couple times I watched Napoleon Dynamite and I know people who had the same reaction to that that I had to Tropic Thunder.
I still haven't broken my 20 min rule b/c this.

There's certainly some....."unease" watchin it tho.

Like at first glance everyone gotta be like, wait, RDJ is which one.....?

But......after you sit back and watch it all, you pick up what's goin on and you kinda forget any issues. He took a risk, but he nailed the performance. He was hilarious, as was the Cruise cameo.

The Stiller one arm raised shooting is still my favorite part tho, I wheezed when that scene happened. :lol:

And the “full r…..” scene/dialogue is definitely mocking Oscar chasing actors and Oscar voters. It just wouldn’t have hit right if he said “full mentally challenged” or “full differently abled”.

No Meth. No.

You gotta watch it and dismiss those biases.

It was such an on point critique and roasting of actors and Hollywood.

He plays a French actor so method in his acting he really thought he could play a black man. Then RDJR nails all of that :rofl: ****ing genius.

It's is probably just on its face too offensive for ppl today.
And who wrote it? These guys?

article-2639238-1E36435400000578-296_634x423.jpg

rs-180954-143480079.jpg

latest

And they pulled a similar stunt with Benedict Cumberbatch in Zoolander 2?

I’m good, thanks.

And who wrote it? These guys?

article-2639238-1E36435400000578-296_634x423.jpg

rs-180954-143480079.jpg

latest

And they pulled a similar stunt with Benedict Cumberbatch in Zoolander 2?

I’m good, thanks.

I recognize Ben Stiller and Justin Theroux. I'm not sure what's the knock on those 4 guys is for writing a satirical movie that has racial humor among other types like the aforementioned comedic references to the mentally challenged. Cuz the butt of the jokes again were the actors and the whole business of it.

I can get if you saw the trailer and said not for me but hearing about a controversy or a few things about the movie or reading about it isn't really the same.

Oh well I didn't watch Zoolander 2 so I wouldn't know anything more about Benedict Cumberbatch and that.

I wouldn't 'pretend' to find something funny though. I don't understand why someone would act like something is funny if they don't think it's funny.

Like I said, comedy is subjective.

One of the most subjective things there is. I crack up at a lot of things I know other people wouldn’t find funny at all. That’s why I don’t judge people‘s taste in comedy.

The Big Bang Theory is a super popular TV comedy. In the times I’ve watched it, I never even smiled (except at Kaley Cuoco being hot) and I don’t judge people who love it.

I can get if you saw the trailer and said not for me but hearing about a controversy or a few things about the movie or reading about it isn't really the same.
Those who watched the film are better qualified to critique it. All I said was if you @ me thinking I’m going to help you defend the RDJ blackface movie, you picked the wrong one.

God damn….
I thought I knew who Megan Kelly was until I finally push play on Bombshell and boom!…..Charlize as Megan Kelly and that accent she’s using I do not recognize. Now I have to watch a clip of the real Megan Kelly to put this back into perspective for me……

God damn….
I thought I knew who Megan Kelly was until I finally push play on Bombshell and boom!…..Charlize as Megan Kelly and that accent she’s using I do not recognize. Now I have to watch a clip of the real Megan Kelly to put this back into perspective for me……

Kelly said. "Jesus was a white man, too. It's like we have, he's a historical figure that's a verifiable fact, as is Santa, I just want kids to know that.”

Back
Top Bottom