Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Originally Posted by CP1708

Originally Posted by MrONegative
I heard you mention it, I saw Simmons write and article on it, and yet, I have ZERO clue what "The Killing" is.  AMC show, ala Mad Men I take it, what is the premise of the show? 

I've been wanting to watch Mad Men, as well as The Wire, but I'm still finishing up Sopranos, and know that Dexter is only like 2-3 months away or so. 
Also got to check out the 6 episode "season" of Walking Dead. 

I need a longer vacation. 
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

Yea. I recommend the first 3 episodes of the season...and that's about it. Everything else is just pretentious character-killing #%$#*#%+. Enough that you won't trust AMC anymore.
30t6p3b.gif
At least Breaking Bad is coming back.

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

Super 8
indifferent.gif
eyes.gif
30t6p3b.gif

you're crazy, Super 8 was a solid film

This movie...so badly wanted to be E.T. or The Goonies or Stand By Me. But it's such a hollow shell of a movie that could've been good. I'll probably come back to watch the kids, because that worked for what it was, but this was like a real good episode of Freaks and Geeks, ruined by Cloverfield loudly going on in the background while no one knows about it. 

The whole Goonies movie happened over, what? one night, two? Imagine if they stretched that night out for a week and they spent most of that week trying to figure out the map. (and that means everyone keeps leaving and getting back together over and over again)

When I watched it, all I wanted to do was watch E.T., Goonies or Stand By Me.
laugh.gif
This was E.T. without the alien or Goonies without the Fratellis and traps and the ship and it was Stand By Me without the body. This is two different movies stapled together. It was a pretty good movie until the train crash. And then it kept fighting to forget the monster and military part that kept messing up the kids' part.
Spoiler [+]
The relationships with the grownups was just stupid. The big deal of the movie is that the kid's mom died before it started, and now his deputy dad who doesn't know how to raise a kid on his own and hates Alice's dad. Here I thought the dude killed the mom, but no...he called out of work one day and she picked up his shift and got in an accident.
indifferent.gif
And they go in a drive in a jeep together, you don't see any conversation, but now things are OK.

They killed all the black people. They killed all the black people and the big bad guy. Really? Me and my friends just laughed at that $%+%. Everything to do with the kids, we laughed with them, everything to do with the adults or alien we laughed at them or rolled our eyes.

And the grownups. I got a special place for Coach Taylor, so he could do no wrong, but the rest of the adults in this were stupid beginning to end. None of them do anything.

I liked the dialogue. There's a really good movie with the kids there that was funny and real good. All those kid actors, even the ones I thought were gonna suck were great. The problem is, their BIG story and drive through the whole movie is the little Super 8 film they're making...which has almost nothing to do with the whole movie. 

To be honest they had almost nothing to do with the movie. If they all would've died in the first scene, everything else would've happened just the same. In the big finale the kid, who just found out that there is an alien (and it's not bad, the military just won't let it leave)...watches the alien kill MPs, sees that it kidnapped regular townfolk and that it's about to...(what looks like) eat his girlfriend. That kid...his big move is to turn to the alien, let it touch him to start a mind-link and tell it to 'Go home.' That's it. The alien rebuilds its ship half out of metal from around town that it pulls in with a magnet strong enough to pick up a car and pull a soldier by his gun 20ft in the air...somehow doesn't affect the car his dad drives up in or that kid's braces or all of the other metal you can see that doesn't count. And the big emotional finale is the kid letting go of a locket of his mother and his grief over her? Because 4 months is too long to still be hurt about it.

I know a lot of people feel good about this movie like, damn that Spielberg feeling is so familiar. But that's all it is. Nothing really happens, and when it does it doesn't feel like it matters, and the surprise at the end is that yea...you're right...it doesn't really matter, but at least the kids feel good now.

The film within a film at the end was good...better than the movie?

The lens flares
eyes.gif
there was a scene in a dark cave with no light...and a lens flare across the screen.
Is it just me or did anyone else think Alice's dad was trying to run her over?
laugh.gif

The tanks and turret shells and bullet spin wild, because of the magnets...so the army keeps shooting and destroys the town?
They all survive that ridiculous train crash, so we can stop worrying whether they'll ever die.

When the military showed up, all I could think of was the army from Planet Terror, but even they were less ridiculous.

Army leader did nothing
Cliffs: the movie isn't boring, just really disappointing with no tension and not worth all the secrecy. You know that feeling when you watch an old movie and realize it wasn't as good as you remember? This is a new movie that feels just like that. Don't see it in theaters, just wait. I know some kids would love this.

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

Super 8
indifferent.gif
eyes.gif
30t6p3b.gif

you're crazy, Super 8 was a solid film

This movie...so badly wanted to be E.T. or The Goonies or Stand By Me. But it's such a hollow shell of a movie that could've been good. I'll probably come back to watch the kids, because that worked for what it was, but this was like a real good episode of Freaks and Geeks, ruined by Cloverfield loudly going on in the background while no one knows about it. 

The whole Goonies movie happened over, what? one night, two? Imagine if they stretched that night out for a week and they spent most of that week trying to figure out the map. (and that means everyone keeps leaving and getting back together over and over again)

When I watched it, all I wanted to do was watch E.T., Goonies or Stand By Me.
laugh.gif
This was E.T. without the alien or Goonies without the Fratellis and traps and the ship and it was Stand By Me without the body. This is two different movies stapled together. It was a pretty good movie until the train crash. And then it kept fighting to forget the monster and military part that kept messing up the kids' part.
Spoiler [+]
The relationships with the grownups was just stupid. The big deal of the movie is that the kid's mom died before it started, and now his deputy dad who doesn't know how to raise a kid on his own and hates Alice's dad. Here I thought the dude killed the mom, but no...he called out of work one day and she picked up his shift and got in an accident.
indifferent.gif
And they go in a drive in a jeep together, you don't see any conversation, but now things are OK.

They killed all the black people. They killed all the black people and the big bad guy. Really? Me and my friends just laughed at that $%+%. Everything to do with the kids, we laughed with them, everything to do with the adults or alien we laughed at them or rolled our eyes.

And the grownups. I got a special place for Coach Taylor, so he could do no wrong, but the rest of the adults in this were stupid beginning to end. None of them do anything.

I liked the dialogue. There's a really good movie with the kids there that was funny and real good. All those kid actors, even the ones I thought were gonna suck were great. The problem is, their BIG story and drive through the whole movie is the little Super 8 film they're making...which has almost nothing to do with the whole movie. 

To be honest they had almost nothing to do with the movie. If they all would've died in the first scene, everything else would've happened just the same. In the big finale the kid, who just found out that there is an alien (and it's not bad, the military just won't let it leave)...watches the alien kill MPs, sees that it kidnapped regular townfolk and that it's about to...(what looks like) eat his girlfriend. That kid...his big move is to turn to the alien, let it touch him to start a mind-link and tell it to 'Go home.' That's it. The alien rebuilds its ship half out of metal from around town that it pulls in with a magnet strong enough to pick up a car and pull a soldier by his gun 20ft in the air...somehow doesn't affect the car his dad drives up in or that kid's braces or all of the other metal you can see that doesn't count. And the big emotional finale is the kid letting go of a locket of his mother and his grief over her? Because 4 months is too long to still be hurt about it.

I know a lot of people feel good about this movie like, damn that Spielberg feeling is so familiar. But that's all it is. Nothing really happens, and when it does it doesn't feel like it matters, and the surprise at the end is that yea...you're right...it doesn't really matter, but at least the kids feel good now.

The film within a film at the end was good...better than the movie?

The lens flares
eyes.gif
there was a scene in a dark cave with no light...and a lens flare across the screen.
Is it just me or did anyone else think Alice's dad was trying to run her over?
laugh.gif

The tanks and turret shells and bullet spin wild, because of the magnets...so the army keeps shooting and destroys the town?
They all survive that ridiculous train crash, so we can stop worrying whether they'll ever die.

When the military showed up, all I could think of was the army from Planet Terror, but even they were less ridiculous.

Army leader did nothing
Cliffs: the movie isn't boring, just really disappointing with no tension and not worth all the secrecy. You know that feeling when you watch an old movie and realize it wasn't as good as you remember? This is a new movie that feels just like that. Don't see it in theaters, just wait. I know some kids would love this.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
  MrO NAILS these reviews when he does them. 

My only question from the movie, what the hell was "it" doing with the people?  The girl, the cop, etc etc, why they not dead yet? 
nerd.gif
  I didn't get what the hell that was all about, I just shrugged and kept watching. 
Agree about the 2 dads, they shoulda spent an extra 5 minutes hashing that out right, getting it over with, but in a better way, not just a simple shrug, ok, we're cool now. 
laugh.gif

I need to figure out a way to stash all your reviews man, would make for great reads later on down the line. 
laugh.gif
smokin.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
  MrO NAILS these reviews when he does them. 

My only question from the movie, what the hell was "it" doing with the people?  The girl, the cop, etc etc, why they not dead yet? 
nerd.gif
  I didn't get what the hell that was all about, I just shrugged and kept watching. 
Agree about the 2 dads, they shoulda spent an extra 5 minutes hashing that out right, getting it over with, but in a better way, not just a simple shrug, ok, we're cool now. 
laugh.gif

I need to figure out a way to stash all your reviews man, would make for great reads later on down the line. 
laugh.gif
smokin.gif

Honestly, it's ridiculous. It looked like the alien eats people. Which is dumb, because they tried to make the alien sympathetic. James Cameron as corny as he gets wouldn't make an alien like this. It probably would've made more sense if there were more aliens like Gremlins. One nice little one like Gizmo that stole toasters trying to get home and one big monster or a bunch of little monsters wrecking everything around them.

Damn. I kinda wish that was the movie I saw instead.

But yeah, at that point me and my friends were openly hazing the +@$% out of the movie. Laughing with the kid who pukes, director kid and braces. And laughing at everyone and everything else in sight in that finale. When this chick friend of mine recognized that hippie as the son from 7th Heaven, we never took that movie seriously again.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
and thanks for the co-sign

Honestly, it's ridiculous. It looked like the alien eats people. Which is dumb, because they tried to make the alien sympathetic. James Cameron as corny as he gets wouldn't make an alien like this. It probably would've made more sense if there were more aliens like Gremlins. One nice little one like Gizmo that stole toasters trying to get home and one big monster or a bunch of little monsters wrecking everything around them.

Damn. I kinda wish that was the movie I saw instead.

But yeah, at that point me and my friends were openly hazing the +@$% out of the movie. Laughing with the kid who pukes, director kid and braces. And laughing at everyone and everything else in sight in that finale. When this chick friend of mine recognized that hippie as the son from 7th Heaven, we never took that movie seriously again.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
and thanks for the co-sign

that's why i don't trust anything from anybody who has anything to do with the show lost

BTW the author of game of thrones openly took a crap on the ending of lost which makes me like him even more lol. Then he did it again. But if his own story doesn;t have a good ending he's gonna get destroyed too

The best author with the worst endings ever is definitely Stephen King. Those are the only books where i'm like okay the journey really does matter more than the ending.

that's why i don't trust anything from anybody who has anything to do with the show lost

BTW the author of game of thrones openly took a crap on the ending of lost which makes me like him even more lol. Then he did it again. But if his own story doesn;t have a good ending he's gonna get destroyed too

The best author with the worst endings ever is definitely Stephen King. Those are the only books where i'm like okay the journey really does matter more than the ending.

^
I'm tellin ya, Odd Thomas is coming out next year I believe, and the end of that book shocked me.  It had to have 5 twists in the final 20 pages or something like that.  I imagine the movie could twist 4-5 times in less than 5 minutes, it should (if done right) leave you spinning. 

I thought about mentioning it as a possibility when Kev mentioned wanting a movie not all glammed up and not giving you the fake ending we see so much.  But, I hesitate because they could @#$^ the movie all up and go with a new ending and then I will be furious and punch somebody in the nose because of it.  Bottom line, read the damn book.  Koontz has written several great books, and Odd was the first one he made a second book too, then he made a 3rd, and then a 4th.  That's how great the responses were to Odd, people loved that geeky lil dude. 
@#$%^% up childhood, special little unique ability, trauma in his life, helluva sense of humor through it all, his name alone speaks on his behalf, the movie franchise has potential to give you all you can ask for.  Will it deliver?  I don't have any clue.  Not anymore with the way Hollywood bends and changes things at their whim. 

^
I'm tellin ya, Odd Thomas is coming out next year I believe, and the end of that book shocked me.  It had to have 5 twists in the final 20 pages or something like that.  I imagine the movie could twist 4-5 times in less than 5 minutes, it should (if done right) leave you spinning. 

I thought about mentioning it as a possibility when Kev mentioned wanting a movie not all glammed up and not giving you the fake ending we see so much.  But, I hesitate because they could @#$^ the movie all up and go with a new ending and then I will be furious and punch somebody in the nose because of it.  Bottom line, read the damn book.  Koontz has written several great books, and Odd was the first one he made a second book too, then he made a 3rd, and then a 4th.  That's how great the responses were to Odd, people loved that geeky lil dude. 
@#$%^% up childhood, special little unique ability, trauma in his life, helluva sense of humor through it all, his name alone speaks on his behalf, the movie franchise has potential to give you all you can ask for.  Will it deliver?  I don't have any clue.  Not anymore with the way Hollywood bends and changes things at their whim. 

I haven't read under the dome. The simpsons movie is close enough

dirk, JA, or nowitness or one of the mavs fans said he is reading the dark tower series. I am really interested to see how he likes it

I haven't read under the dome. The simpsons movie is close enough

dirk, JA, or nowitness or one of the mavs fans said he is reading the dark tower series. I am really interested to see how he likes it

Should I go see Tree of Life or Super 8 tmo?
Tree of Life, wow I just saw it, still sorting out my feelings about this movie.

It is an audacious piece of filmaking that titers to and off the edge of pretentious and various points throughout the movie I feel like if you are a big film buff you should see it, but keep and open mind and don't necessarily sweat the details.

Also who the f is the target demo for Super 8, seems like it's geared to hit the nostalgia bone of old baby boomers who yearn for the old days of speilburgian film making but I don't think people that age want to watch a movie primarily about kids.

Tree of Life, wow I just saw it, still sorting out my feelings about this movie.

It is an audacious piece of filmaking that titers to and off the edge of pretentious and various points throughout the movie I feel like if you are a big film buff you should see it, but keep and open mind and don't necessarily sweat the details.

Also who the f is the target demo for Super 8, seems like it's geared to hit the nostalgia bone of old baby boomers who yearn for the old days of speilburgian film making but I don't think people that age want to watch a movie primarily about kids.

Originally Posted by DubA169

It was me... It got put on hold for awhile but I'm about to dig back into it. I'll come back and review it as I go.

Originally Posted by DubA169

It was me... It got put on hold for awhile but I'm about to dig back into it. I'll come back and review it as I go.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

laugh.gif
 You late. I was gonna see that or Super 8 yesterday.
grin.gif

And that's a good question. Good thing the movie was cheap...supposedly.
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

laugh.gif
 You late. I was gonna see that or Super 8 yesterday.
grin.gif

And that's a good question. Good thing the movie was cheap...supposedly.
nerd.gif

So how many of you guys actually collect Blu-Rays/DVDs etc..? I like seeing pics of everyone's movies/TV setup and stuff...Feel free to post your setup and movies if you guys want to...I'll post mine in a little bit...

*If everyone thinks this is lame then scratch this idea
laugh.gif

So how many of you guys actually collect Blu-Rays/DVDs etc..? I like seeing pics of everyone's movies/TV setup and stuff...Feel free to post your setup and movies if you guys want to...I'll post mine in a little bit...

*If everyone thinks this is lame then scratch this idea
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom