Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

“Stop! This is what it wants. It wants to divide us. We were all together when we heard it. THAT’S why we’re still alive”

- Bev Marsh

Fun (spooky season) Mandela effect for you guys

If you talk to anyone old enough to have seen Rosemary's Baby, they will often mention seeing the baby's eyes (based on what Rosemary says), or seeing the "clawed feet".

What they are actually remembering is the viral (for lack of better words) trailer for "It's Alive" (1974), which ran heavily on TV for the film's re-release in 1976

Worth a watch?

51hf+h3SY-L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Fun (spooky season) Mandela effect for you guys

If you talk to anyone old enough to have seen Rosemary's Baby, they will often mention seeing the baby's eyes (based on what Rosemary says), or seeing the "clawed feet".

What they are actually remembering is the viral (for lack of better words) trailer for "It's Alive" (1974), which ran heavily on TV for the film's re-release in 1976

Wasn’t Rosemary’s Baby released in 1969? I guess the folks who experienced the Mandela effect were the people who hadn’t seen the film until a couple of years after

el presidente el presidente

Mandela Effect gets zero of my time these days.
I spent an entire vacation week in 2022(post COVID)
searching all 3 properties and two storage units looking for the Shazaam VHS tape that I indeed own and could not prove.

So, watched Pump Up The Volume for the first time in a few years - it's a bit of a guilty pleasure. First saw it in the 90s when I'd just finished HS and even then it sat a bit uncomfortably - but Christian Slater is a handsome man and also helloooo Nora.

Looking back though it's even worse - a whitewashed view of the angst of middle America and the odd reaction of the authorities to clamp down on this when there were significantly more important things is just odd. Kids rebelling by not going to Yale - yeah, that's a key priority.
I agree with what a lot of you are saying in terms of its not-even-aging poor in parts, but just bad—Slater’s radio speeches are terrible, not that many people period and definitely that many distinct parties would gather around a radio like that—intensely tuned in. Even the teacher visually laughed at some of Slater’s not-at-all funny c-ring jokes.

Samantha Manthis was the best part. And Seth Green just being a brother of a good time.

This was spotty, his sometime takedowns were good like on the FCC Chairman or the principal, but still the whole movie was hit and miss, I just finished.

There’s something there, it’s just a splatter painting.

I know there are several factors at play here, but I’ve never understood how someone whose very profession is an actor could turn down such a promising role.

Logically speaking, you would think, due to their experience working with scripts, actors would develop a knack for identifying quality work. I understand there are variables, such as scheduling conflicts, etc., but yeah, it’s unfortunate to let opportunity slip you by.

el presidente el presidente

Mandela Effect gets zero of my time these days.
I spent an entire vacation week in 2022(post COVID)
searching all 3 properties and two storage units looking for the Shazaam VHS tape that I indeed own and could not prove.
Yup, no one can tell me this didn’t exist

IMG_5602.jpeg

I know there are several factors at play here, but I’ve never understood how someone whose very profession is an actor could turn down such a promising role.

Logically speaking, you would think, due to their experience working with scripts, actors would develop a knack for identifying quality work. I understand there are variables, such as scheduling conflicts, etc., but yeah, it’s unfortunate to let opportunity slip you by.
Most actors are dumb and don't have good taste. They usually trust their agents or the director that might want them for the movie.

Plus you have to consider that they're not always sent a full script, it may be early so nobody else is even attached to it, and sometimes producers don't even properly pitch movies to actors the right way so it sounds trash.

If I wanted to I could pitch MIB as a romance or spy thriller or a horror flick.

It's the same thing when you see big name actors in terrible movies. They usually won't realize how bad it is until they already signed on and are filming. By then it's too late.

Works the other way as well especially when movies don't film in order. You could be acting in a Nolan film and not understand it, not like it, and it turns out to be critically acclaimed.

Last edited:
Most actors are dumb and don't have good taste. They usually trust their agents or the director that might want them for the movie.

Plus you have to consider that they're not always sent a full script, it may be early so nobody else is even attached to it, and sometimes producers don't even properly pitch movies to actors the right way so it sounds trash.

If I wanted to I could pitch MIB as a romance or spy thriller or a horror flick.

It's the same thing when you see big name actors in terrible movies. They usually won't realize how bad it is until they already signed on and are filming. By then it's too late.

Works the other way as well especially when movies don't film in order. You could be acting in a Nolan film and not understand it, not like it, and it turns out to be critically acclaimed.
Thank you for this additional information. Yeah, I knew there was more to it than meets the eye.

Back
Top Bottom