Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

The show was good, but then it got kinda amazing this last season. Suddenly they can get a cameo from anyone and the concepts were so strong.

And for Party Down...it was just so outta nowhere at the end of an episode.
laugh.gif

The show was good, but then it got kinda amazing this last season. Suddenly they can get a cameo from anyone and the concepts were so strong.

And for Party Down...it was just so outta nowhere at the end of an episode.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

Saw J. Edgar last night, pretty disappointing.

- The makeup on DiCaprio and Hammer to make them look older was dreadful. It looked so bad, and was so distracting.
- The film seemed to lack umpf and was too slow at times.
- DiCaprio was strong during the monologues, especially the court room scenes.
- I enjoyed the way the film was shot, the style it was shot with, the colors that seem faded on screen to make it seem old fashioned...nice touch.

Overall, I'd have to say it was nothing special, and didn't live up to what I was expecting it to be months ago. Not a bad film, just didn't live up to the potential I guess.
Well, I caved and saw this today, girlfriends treat, and I have to disagree.

Yes, Clyde's make-up when he was older was god-awful, and there wasn't much of a transition from young Hoover to old Hoover, it's either one or the other, but I thought it was damn good.

Too slow? What are you expecting? What is it that you want? Gunshots and explosions? You'd never see that in this movie, never in a million years. Not even Michael Bay could screw this up. It's about J. Edgar Hoover, one of the most villainous Americans in history. This was a period piece, there's no  new ground to break (other than the one obvious one), and I thought it did it well. This was a film about the rise and fall of Hoover-lead FBI.

I'm going to go into some spoilers, so be forewarned.

Leo, Leo, and more Leo. I thought he was magnificent. Oscar-worthy? Possibly, I'd say so. He was damn-near flawless IMO. His relationships with Naomi Watts, Judi Dench, and Armie Hammer are really what sold me. No, this is one of those "slow-prodding," films. I really enjoy them. It pretty accurately goes through the history of Hoover. I loved how they recreated guys like Bobby Kennedy, King, and Nixon. Leo was very sly in his portrayal of Edgar's tyranny.

The biggest surprise to me was how much the writer went into the depths of the relationship between Hoover and Tolson. I went in not knowing any of the rumors of him possibly being a homosexual. The two of them played perfectly off each other in a time where homosexuals was frowned upon so much. Early on, I was like, "Damn, this is going to be one of those unintentionally gay relationships in movies." Obviously, I was wrong, because it's very blatant.

After a while you become more intrigued by the relationships of Hoover rather than his cases involving Lindbergh, Machine Gun Kelly, SCLC/King, etc. The scene of him in the library with Ms. Gandy was one of my favorites, along with Hoover writing his letter to King about his infidelities and asking King to commit suicide, the scene with Bobby Kennedy and Hoover, and the last scene with Tolson finding Hoovers body.

It was historically accurate to the dot as well (as far as American history goes, whether Hoover was truly a homosexual or not is debatable). It's films like this that really make me approve of an effort where the creators put that much research and effort into the specifics of the film and allow those who know it's history to smile, and not come off as pretentious. It's a fine-line to walk, but it's done well.

If you're going in expecting an action-packed film, go wait for Michael Bay's newest. This was a great period piece with superb performances from Hammer, Dench, Watts, and Leo especially.

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

Saw J. Edgar last night, pretty disappointing.

- The makeup on DiCaprio and Hammer to make them look older was dreadful. It looked so bad, and was so distracting.
- The film seemed to lack umpf and was too slow at times.
- DiCaprio was strong during the monologues, especially the court room scenes.
- I enjoyed the way the film was shot, the style it was shot with, the colors that seem faded on screen to make it seem old fashioned...nice touch.

Overall, I'd have to say it was nothing special, and didn't live up to what I was expecting it to be months ago. Not a bad film, just didn't live up to the potential I guess.
Well, I caved and saw this today, girlfriends treat, and I have to disagree.

Yes, Clyde's make-up when he was older was god-awful, and there wasn't much of a transition from young Hoover to old Hoover, it's either one or the other, but I thought it was damn good.

Too slow? What are you expecting? What is it that you want? Gunshots and explosions? You'd never see that in this movie, never in a million years. Not even Michael Bay could screw this up. It's about J. Edgar Hoover, one of the most villainous Americans in history. This was a period piece, there's no  new ground to break (other than the one obvious one), and I thought it did it well. This was a film about the rise and fall of Hoover-lead FBI.

I'm going to go into some spoilers, so be forewarned.

Leo, Leo, and more Leo. I thought he was magnificent. Oscar-worthy? Possibly, I'd say so. He was damn-near flawless IMO. His relationships with Naomi Watts, Judi Dench, and Armie Hammer are really what sold me. No, this is one of those "slow-prodding," films. I really enjoy them. It pretty accurately goes through the history of Hoover. I loved how they recreated guys like Bobby Kennedy, King, and Nixon. Leo was very sly in his portrayal of Edgar's tyranny.

The biggest surprise to me was how much the writer went into the depths of the relationship between Hoover and Tolson. I went in not knowing any of the rumors of him possibly being a homosexual. The two of them played perfectly off each other in a time where homosexuals was frowned upon so much. Early on, I was like, "Damn, this is going to be one of those unintentionally gay relationships in movies." Obviously, I was wrong, because it's very blatant.

After a while you become more intrigued by the relationships of Hoover rather than his cases involving Lindbergh, Machine Gun Kelly, SCLC/King, etc. The scene of him in the library with Ms. Gandy was one of my favorites, along with Hoover writing his letter to King about his infidelities and asking King to commit suicide, the scene with Bobby Kennedy and Hoover, and the last scene with Tolson finding Hoovers body.

It was historically accurate to the dot as well (as far as American history goes, whether Hoover was truly a homosexual or not is debatable). It's films like this that really make me approve of an effort where the creators put that much research and effort into the specifics of the film and allow those who know it's history to smile, and not come off as pretentious. It's a fine-line to walk, but it's done well.

If you're going in expecting an action-packed film, go wait for Michael Bay's newest. This was a great period piece with superb performances from Hammer, Dench, Watts, and Leo especially.

Add 50/50 to my list CP.... 
pimp.gif

Touching movie. No need to brush over the cliche "it mixes comedy with drama, cancer is a hard subject to talk about but they made it work" because it seems that's what everyone says after seeing the film.

The scene at the end where JGL is getting ready to be wheeled to surgery... when he's asking about the morphine and calling for his mom
frown.gif
My girlfriend was actually crying. Just sad, man.

Loved the scenes with the two old men.... Rogen was great. He literally plays a pot smoker in EVERY movie 
laugh.gif
(Superbad, Pineapple Express, Knocked Up, The 40-Year Old Virgin, etc.)

8/10

Add 50/50 to my list CP.... 
pimp.gif

Touching movie. No need to brush over the cliche "it mixes comedy with drama, cancer is a hard subject to talk about but they made it work" because it seems that's what everyone says after seeing the film.

The scene at the end where JGL is getting ready to be wheeled to surgery... when he's asking about the morphine and calling for his mom
frown.gif
My girlfriend was actually crying. Just sad, man.

Loved the scenes with the two old men.... Rogen was great. He literally plays a pot smoker in EVERY movie 
laugh.gif
(Superbad, Pineapple Express, Knocked Up, The 40-Year Old Virgin, etc.)

8/10

I've been watching movies I would normally never watch (that are readily available on Netflix or television at insomniatic hours) just to build this list.
laugh.gif

The Adjustment Bureau
Attack the Block
Battle: Los Angeles
Bridesmaids
Cedar Rapids
Hall Pass
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
Hesher
Hobo With a Shotgun
Horrible Bosses
Insidious
Just Go With It
Kill the Irishman
Limitless
The Roommate
Scream 4
Unknown
Win Win

The Roommate was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Creativity: 0; depth: 0; acting: 0. Just awful.

Unknown = The Bourne Identity/Taken. Not good, not bad. It was a fun watch, I guess.

Just Go With It isn't worth mentioning (or watching). You know what you're getting.

Limitless was interesting, but just really dumb. You could tell they put forth a lot of effort in trying to mask the dumb, but it didn't work. And those stupid zoom shots through New York... come on. Could have been a great film. Still not quite sure what to make of Bradley Cooper, but I'm pretty sure I hate him.

Part 2 was wonderful. The end of an era, though. I read almost every book within a week of its release, but I always put the movies off so I had something to look forward to. Pretty big bummer, honestly.

Still haven't seen anything great. Obviously, I have plenty more to catch up on.

I've been watching movies I would normally never watch (that are readily available on Netflix or television at insomniatic hours) just to build this list.
laugh.gif

The Adjustment Bureau
Attack the Block
Battle: Los Angeles
Bridesmaids
Cedar Rapids
Hall Pass
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
Hesher
Hobo With a Shotgun
Horrible Bosses
Insidious
Just Go With It
Kill the Irishman
Limitless
The Roommate
Scream 4
Unknown
Win Win

The Roommate was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Creativity: 0; depth: 0; acting: 0. Just awful.

Unknown = The Bourne Identity/Taken. Not good, not bad. It was a fun watch, I guess.

Just Go With It isn't worth mentioning (or watching). You know what you're getting.

Limitless was interesting, but just really dumb. You could tell they put forth a lot of effort in trying to mask the dumb, but it didn't work. And those stupid zoom shots through New York... come on. Could have been a great film. Still not quite sure what to make of Bradley Cooper, but I'm pretty sure I hate him.

Part 2 was wonderful. The end of an era, though. I read almost every book within a week of its release, but I always put the movies off so I had something to look forward to. Pretty big bummer, honestly.

Still haven't seen anything great. Obviously, I have plenty more to catch up on.

I will update lists tomorrow, I just finished Warrior.......wow. such a powerful movie. Tom Hardy, man his career is about to blow up next summer, I loved him in this role. And Nick Nolte, what a great job. If you have a brother, or someone you consider a brother, this is a tough watch as Ill alluded too. Great film.

I will update lists tomorrow, I just finished Warrior.......wow. such a powerful movie. Tom Hardy, man his career is about to blow up next summer, I loved him in this role. And Nick Nolte, what a great job. If you have a brother, or someone you consider a brother, this is a tough watch as Ill alluded too. Great film.

Just watched the mid-season finale of The Walking Dead, wow. I really enjoyed it. Much better than the first however many episodes there were.

The plot twist completely made up for it. Shane reaching his breaking point made up for it. It wasn't as good as the first season, but damn, it was damn good.

Just watched the mid-season finale of The Walking Dead, wow. I really enjoyed it. Much better than the first however many episodes there were.

The plot twist completely made up for it. Shane reaching his breaking point made up for it. It wasn't as good as the first season, but damn, it was damn good.

The Walking Dead was amazing tonight. Just... that ending!
eek.gif
pimp.gif
frown.gif
I've never felt as sad for multiple characters at once than I did tonight. The developments tonight are gonna have me in rage mode until February.

The Walking Dead was amazing tonight. Just... that ending!
eek.gif
pimp.gif
frown.gif
I've never felt as sad for multiple characters at once than I did tonight. The developments tonight are gonna have me in rage mode until February.

Yea...For me, that was the best episode of the series since the first 2. I mean I barely had time to hate Dale, Andrea or omg where's my kid. Or stop and wonder why a new farm person I never saw before showed up. Show was locked in beginning to end.
smokin.gif
... it just needs to get consistent . Maybe things'll stay like this once they're done with the farm.
ohwell.gif

Yea...For me, that was the best episode of the series since the first 2. I mean I barely had time to hate Dale, Andrea or omg where's my kid. Or stop and wonder why a new farm person I never saw before showed up. Show was locked in beginning to end.
smokin.gif
... it just needs to get consistent . Maybe things'll stay like this once they're done with the farm.
ohwell.gif

There isn't one character than I am emotionally invested in. Most of them are just downright awful. And I think that is a testament to how good the show is.

I'm still trying to decide if I think it is the most realistic depiction of a zombie outbreak, or if it is way too rational to be. I guess it's difficult to gauge how people would really handle themselves.

There isn't one character than I am emotionally invested in. Most of them are just downright awful. And I think that is a testament to how good the show is.

I'm still trying to decide if I think it is the most realistic depiction of a zombie outbreak, or if it is way too rational to be. I guess it's difficult to gauge how people would really handle themselves.

Originally Posted by MrONegative

smokin.gif
ohwell.gif
It's hard for me to hate Dale just because I love him as an actor.

I think I agree, the episode was damn good. I really loved the season finale of last season too, but I think this tops it.

I want to see where they go from here. Glen showed some real leadership capabilities, I want to see how nuts Shane gets but there are a few things I want resolved by the end of this season. Not all of them, but I want at least one of these to be resolved by seasons end...

1) Reconnect with the black family from the first season. Was my favorite part of the first season. They need to be brought back, ASAP.
2) Find out what the guy at the CDC said.
3) Bring back Merle for real, none of this fake-dream BS.
4) Have someone else killed off by the end of this season. Someone big. Not no little girl (though effective), and not someones sister. Be it Shane, Dale, Daryl, Lori, someone. I have a feeling they won't do that until at least a fourth season, which is kind of upsetting. I think I'd like the show much better if it were just a few of them trying to survive. Say if it were just Rick, Glen, Andrea, and Daryl.

Regardless, tonight's episode was very fun. It made the first five episodes work.

Originally Posted by MrONegative

smokin.gif
ohwell.gif
It's hard for me to hate Dale just because I love him as an actor.

I think I agree, the episode was damn good. I really loved the season finale of last season too, but I think this tops it.

I want to see where they go from here. Glen showed some real leadership capabilities, I want to see how nuts Shane gets but there are a few things I want resolved by the end of this season. Not all of them, but I want at least one of these to be resolved by seasons end...

1) Reconnect with the black family from the first season. Was my favorite part of the first season. They need to be brought back, ASAP.
2) Find out what the guy at the CDC said.
3) Bring back Merle for real, none of this fake-dream BS.
4) Have someone else killed off by the end of this season. Someone big. Not no little girl (though effective), and not someones sister. Be it Shane, Dale, Daryl, Lori, someone. I have a feeling they won't do that until at least a fourth season, which is kind of upsetting. I think I'd like the show much better if it were just a few of them trying to survive. Say if it were just Rick, Glen, Andrea, and Daryl.

Regardless, tonight's episode was very fun. It made the first five episodes work.

The show The Walking Dead most reminds me of is Lost. It's Lost where the mystery and supernatural all got bottled into this one infection. Looking at it like that, it actually makes me respect Lost even more. I hated Ana Lucia, but she's a better character and was better written and acted out than most of the characters on this show. But...zombies.
laugh.gif
I love zombies. I love post apocalyptic (middle) America, which was why I really held out hope for Jericho (which was a great, great idea with garbage MTV execution).

I agree, I like the actor who plays Dale...hate the character. The writing on the show just isn't good enough. Maybe the direction too. Most of the characters never get built up and the plotting just always undercuts them or forces them to keep repeating the same little arcs over and over. And it's only been 13 episodes. Honestly, how many times do you ever sit back, look at a group of people talking and think...man, can one of you just die already? The son? The wife? T-Dog? Andrea? Dale? Sophia's mom? Any of the 5-20 farm people who keep coming outta nowhere?
nerd.gif
grin.gif

Going back to Lost, this is a show that really could've been helped by having a lot of flashbacks. I mean it's worked great the few times they did it. Maybe it's just the budget? Maybe they can't afford to have too many locations, but writing's always the same price. I gotta figure the plot is gonna get a lot better once they're off the farm and Merle's back and that'll take care of most of the problems, because we won't notice we don't care about almost any of them. But speaking of, that black dad they left behind was in Jericho...I hope they get back to them too, but I kinda doubt it.

I like Daryl, Glenn and Maggie...that's it...and zombies. Guess that'll do, for now.
laugh.gif

The show The Walking Dead most reminds me of is Lost. It's Lost where the mystery and supernatural all got bottled into this one infection. Looking at it like that, it actually makes me respect Lost even more. I hated Ana Lucia, but she's a better character and was better written and acted out than most of the characters on this show. But...zombies.
laugh.gif
I love zombies. I love post apocalyptic (middle) America, which was why I really held out hope for Jericho (which was a great, great idea with garbage MTV execution).

I agree, I like the actor who plays Dale...hate the character. The writing on the show just isn't good enough. Maybe the direction too. Most of the characters never get built up and the plotting just always undercuts them or forces them to keep repeating the same little arcs over and over. And it's only been 13 episodes. Honestly, how many times do you ever sit back, look at a group of people talking and think...man, can one of you just die already? The son? The wife? T-Dog? Andrea? Dale? Sophia's mom? Any of the 5-20 farm people who keep coming outta nowhere?
nerd.gif
grin.gif

Going back to Lost, this is a show that really could've been helped by having a lot of flashbacks. I mean it's worked great the few times they did it. Maybe it's just the budget? Maybe they can't afford to have too many locations, but writing's always the same price. I gotta figure the plot is gonna get a lot better once they're off the farm and Merle's back and that'll take care of most of the problems, because we won't notice we don't care about almost any of them. But speaking of, that black dad they left behind was in Jericho...I hope they get back to them too, but I kinda doubt it.

I like Daryl, Glenn and Maggie...that's it...and zombies. Guess that'll do, for now.
laugh.gif

The only characters I want to die are Andrea, Shane (sort of), most of the farm people, and Dale (a lot).

Glenn and Darryl are my dudes, though, and Maggie's hot enough that I'd be upset if she bit it. I want them to make it through the series. Rick, Carl and Lori... I guess I want them to make it. But none of the others I really give a damn about.

Now with this character draft.. that still happening?
nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom