Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Cruise never really fell off to me but he just had a phase of bad publicity but his current turn of good will in movies reminds me of how MM made a turn in to showing how great of an actor he is.

Cruise just had a period where he was trying too hard to be taken seriously after Kubrick screwed with him on eyes wide shut.. But I guess that was the ending of his marriage too so could see how that time frame was off

But after Jerry Maguire in 1996 he had:
eyes wide shut, (which is better when you hear the story of Kubrick basically making it a referendum on their marriage and trying to expose cruise)

Magnolia, which is on cable now for some reason I've I tried watching... I don't get it

MI2

Vanilla sky

Then '02 he had minority report, which I need to watch again cause I heard it aged well.. Then last samurai.. And collateral, which definitely aged well

War of the worlds was '05.. But a lot of the above didn't perform as well as it should of cause maybe people expected different films than they actually were.. And war of the worlds just left a bad taste in people's mouths

Tropic thunder came at a perfect time for him.. And people were not expecting that from him.. Sorta like meet the parents for de niro

Completely agree of wooderson, dude was completely happy accepting crap roles and phoning in the perception folks had for him.. Then dude just decided he cared

And Sam Jackson really can't turn down a role can he?

Watching Tarzan when I hear a voice, Sam's voice?

You cutting the check and dude is there

I said it in another thread.. Or maybe it was this one.. I do lov that he found time for adult swim stuff, him as gin rummy and Afro always got me

Actually, I'd be willing to bet Samuel L. turns down a lot of stuff. Dude probably gets like 20 scripts a day. Considering all the roles he does take, I'd be curious to see what's gone in the trash pile for him. :lol:

He's got 165 acting credits on IMDB, which is especially crazy considering he didn't start working steadily in acting until he was in his 40s. And nobody is attached to more huge franchises than him. Star Wars, Mavel/Avengers, Jurassic Park. Been in more than half of QTs movies and several from Spike Lee. Quite a career.

CP my dude.. But if travolta was brought back to life with pulp fiction, a movie from 1994, what kind of life is dude currently living?

The reality with a lot of dudes, it is transitioning and having a bit of self awareness.. Maybe nic cage gets there.. But I'm not even sure people on that list have gotten there or are currently there

Keanu has always sorta been there

But will smith and non Tarantino travolta, I really have no clue

Keaton I wouldnt slot with that group.. Tom cruise is the epitome of this whole discussion with how he went off the wagon with his whole religious stuff and jumping on the coach and all the stuff that went down with Katie Holmes.. But dude was smart and slick about it.. He did tropic thunder and then he did smart action stuff.. Now he has figured out his lane and has upcoming movies that we're all looking forward to

Oh he dead now, but he came back for a while off Pulp.
Broken Arrow, Face Off, General's Daughter, Swordfish, Get Shorty, Savages, Wild Hogs, etc.

He was around again for a good run, now he just dead again. :lol:

^^^ Maybe his role in the OJ miniseries will start his latest resurrection. Kind of doubt it though. So much weirdness going on in the background with Travolta. Even more than Cruise.

Hope Cuba gets some work out of playing OJ though. His drop off after Jerry Maguire has been pretty spectacular and I've never quite been able to figure it out.

^^^ Maybe his role in the OJ miniseries will start his latest resurrection. Kind of doubt it though. So much weirdness going on in the background with Travolta. Even more than Cruise.

Hope Cuba gets some work out of playing OJ though. His drop off after Jerry Maguire has been pretty spectacular and I've never quite been able to figure it out.
I equate Cuba to Halle Berry in terms of career drop-off post-Oscars. Maybe add Adrian Brody in there too.

It's really surprising and tough to explain why.

Steve Aoki: I'll Sleep When I'm Dead (Netflix)

6.7 / 8

- Awesome documentary as I didn't know Aoki's story and crazy work ethic

- The driving theme throughout the story is him wanting to prove himself to his father (who's a legend in his own right) and you can see it in his eyes how important it is to him -- it's both inspiring and a bit sad actually

- I didn't really listen to his music before, but I have an appreciation for it now -- I can see why he's been so successful and he comes off like a really cool, humble dude. In a way, he's very Americanized Japanese guy who actually has a very Japanese work ethic

Last edited:
Gonna watch those GI Joe movies for the first time. Yeah they may suck but I never watched enough to dismiss it.

Plus there's enough hot chicks in it.

Matthew McConaughey.

The rest on that list is irrelevant :lol:
And Sam Jackson really can't turn down a role can he?

Watching Tarzan when I hear a voice, Sam's voice?

You cutting the check and dude is there

I said it in another thread.. Or maybe it was this one.. I do lov that he found time for adult swim stuff, him as gin rummy and Afro always got me
Sam actually loves anime and all that comic based stuff. He's really in to sci-fi and other stuff.

It's why he's in that one anime based movie as the bad guy. I remember when he was talking about why he did Afro Samurai and brought up Samurai Jack.

You probably get a quicker guarantee from him if you tell him sword fighting and ninjas are involved cuz calling him let's him know a black guy will be in it.

Last edited:
I was watching Coming to America out of boredom the other day and I had forgotten Sam Jack was in there too. I was surprised for a few seconds.

Dude's seriously in every movie :lol:

Last edited:
I was watching Coming to America out of boredom the other day and I had forgotten Sam Jack was in there too. I was surprised for a few seconds.

Dude's seriously in every movie :lol:

Coming to America and goodfellas.. Most random shhh

When's the last time anyone saw Delroy Lindo in something new? Feel like I haven't seen dude in a movie in forever.

Seinfeld = Mad corny with a racist *** actor.

Wow, great show. 
indifferent.gif
Seinfeld was great.

Curb Your Enthusiasm took the same humor and made it even better.

Both great shows.

Cruise never really fell off to me but he just had a phase of bad publicity but his current turn of good will in movies reminds me of how MM made a turn in to showing how great of an actor he is.
Agreed. Cruise been doing the same stuff. Not even hyped on anything he's coming out with. Would love to see Cage on True Detective.

Besides Rock of Ages, Cruise has been money the last five years.

MI: Ghost Protocol
Jack Reacher
Oblivion
Edge of Tomorrow
MI: Rogue Nation

:pimp:

just saw Sausage Party. not what i expected :rofl:

nice little social commentary

Last edited:
Rise of Cobra was pretty bad. See why the fans hated it.

Typical trash Tatum popcorn flick with Marlon Day and in it :lol: Can't believe JGL signed on to this. Good thing he was unrecognizable throughout.

Writing deflated everything that is Cobra Commander :smh:

I don't see how with another scrappy script they thought bringing in the Rock and Willis would change much.

Nichols and Miller were fine though :evil:

I don't see how with another scrappy script they thought bringing in The Rock and Willis would change much.

Last edited:
Adrien Brody :wow:

COMPLETELY forgot dude existed.

He absolutely :smashed it in the pianist then he had a couple of weird flicks?

Forgot he did that 2005 kong and predators ?

How was he in the grand Budapest hotel?

He was good in that.

Brody didn't stop making movies but he just didn't get any leading roles that could recapture that greatness.

He's still a really good actor but it's arguable if he's a leading man type and if he is in what capcity? At best I think the closest he's to is Ewan McGregor.

He's still a really good actor but it's arguable if he's a leading man type and if he is in what capcity? At best I think the closest he's to is Ewan McGregor.

Was thinking this same thing. Looks-wise, he doesn't fit the typical leading man/action star role. I think McGregor is closer to that than Brody is. So, I'm not surprised he doesn't get those kind of roles.

Besides Rock of Ages, Cruise has been money the last five years.

MI: Ghost Protocol
Jack Reacher
Oblivion
Edge of Tomorrow
MI: Rogue Nation

:pimp:

It's not an incredible list.

Out of all those movies I'd probably only watch Edge of Tomorrow again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom