Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

IMG_3223.jpeg

Powerful monologue aside, how did America Ferrara get a nomination for best supporting actress in Barbie but not Margot for leading actress??
Best actress was a stronger category, but even then I don’t think America had any momentum to get a nomination. This was probably a business move to get the Barbie fans to tune in :lol:

Surprised Leo didn't make it, but nice to see Paul Giamatti get some love. I heard he was outstanding in The Holdovers. Can't wait to see it. Plus, he never got nominated for his role in Sideways, another great film from years back.

I wouldn't be surprised if he actually won it as a "lifetime achievement award" thing that the academy does from time to time.

Last edited:
Watching Escape From L.A. right now. First time. I’ve never seen the New York one. I have questions…..

What is this nonsense? Is this supposed to be serious or more farce (like Starship Stroopers or Demolition Man) The sets look intentionally low budget like a Doctor Evil volcano lair. Theatrical release or straight to VHS?

Is it related to the first one at all? The hell kinda story is this? An earthquake hits so the president just up and decides to appoint himself FOR LIFE?! His first order of business is using the island from the quake to isolate Los Angeles and turn it into a prison? Because Jesus is coming back and they are sinners? And THIS is somehow related to the first film?

I feel like I’ve been hearing about this character and this franchise like it’s some kinda worshipped mad max type film. ICONIC is what I was led to believe. This is biiiiig trash so far. I need answers

Watching Escape From L.A. right now. First time. I’ve never seen the New York one. I have questions…..

What is this nonsense? Is this supposed to be serious or more farce (like Starship Stroopers or Demolition Man) The sets look intentionally low budget like a Doctor Evil volcano lair. Theatrical release or straight to VHS?

Is it related to the first one at all? The hell kinda story is this? An earthquake hits so the president just up and decides to appoint himself FOR LIFE?! His first order of business is using the island from the quake to isolate Los Angeles and turn it into a prison? Because Jesus is coming back and they are sinners? And THIS is somehow related to the first film?

I feel like I’ve been hearing about this character and this franchise like it’s some kinda worshipped mad max type film. ICONIC is what I was led to believe. This is biiiiig trash so far. I need answers
Wait for the basketball scene.

Now that I've seen the full list, Barbie did get the following nominations:
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role: America Ferrera.
- Costume Design.
- Music (Original Song): I'm Just Ken.
- Best Picture.
- Production Design.
- Writing (Adapted Screenplay).

I think Costume Design is a lock.
I can see Production Design.
I don't think it has a snowball's chance in hell at BP.
No opinion either way on the rest.

Happy to see Stewart back in a limited capacity, I think it was the best version of him.

Ferrera getting a nom for supporting was bonkers. She was the worst part of the movie and her speech was the most awkward part of an otherwise excellent movie that delivered it's message well... but that scene was rough.

Back
Top Bottom