Oklahoma City Supersonics

Am I the only person following the Sonics situation? I'd just like to hear what everyone outside of Seattle thinks about this.

Heres a quick summary of what's been going on:

In 2001, a group led by Howard Schultz (owner of Starbucks) buys the Sonics for $200 million. (Note: Schultz was not the sole owner, he was part of a group of58 others, it's just that he was the most famous one and became the face of the group) He has a 5-year plan to re-build the franchise.

Fast forward about 5-years later...Schultz and Co. sells the Sonics to an Oklahoma group led by Clay Bennett for $350 million, pocketing a cool $150 millionprofit. (Background on Bennett: It's known that he has always wanted a team in Oklahoma. He was the main person that brought the Hornets to OK City afterthe Katrina disaster.)

As part of the contract to purchase the team, Bennett has to put in a "good faith effort" to keep the team in Seattle. So far he hasn't reallydone much of anything. He's asking for a state-of-the-art $500 million arena or else he's packin up the team and moving to OK City. He's rarelyever in Seattle. He operates from Oklahoma, his Sonics business card has his Oklahoma area code fone number on it.

The Sonics have tried to pass initiatives to get public funding for a new arena, but they have all failed. Keep in mind, the residents of Seattle have beenpaying for the Seahawks and Mariners stadiums and they're tired of it. Key Arena is only 13 years old and it's not even paid off yet.

The City of Seattle has come up with a Key Arena renovation plan, but Clay Bennett is refusing it. He wants a brand spankin new arena or nothing at all. Andguess what? The Ford Center in OK City will have to be renovated to accomodate the Sonics...Does that make any sense? You're not willing to play in arenovated Key Arena in Seattle, but you're more than eager to move to a renovated Ford Center? !%@?

Also, a local Seattle group has offered to buy the Sonics, their offer has been refused. Bennett claims the team is not for sale.

So right now the City of Seattle is in a lawsuit with the Sonics. The Sonics are trying to break their lease early (they are bound to the lease until 2010). If the city wins, the Sonics have to play in Seattle until 2010 and hopefully by then a solution to keep the team in Seattle would come up. If the city loses,the Sonics are gone and in OK City next year.

Oh yea, the WNBA Seattle Storm have been bought by a Seattle group and are staying in Seattle. (If anybody even cares.)

David Stern hasn't done jack to help keep the team in Seattle. All he's done is deliver shots at the city through the press.

For those that don't live in Seattle, you guys have no clue what it's like right now. There's basically no marketing effort for the team. We gotKevin Durant and Jeff Green in the draft, but the Sonics don't market that at all. They are trying to alienate the team from the city. They let Ray Allenand Rashard Lewis go. They cut ties with everyone that was connected to Seattle. Former legendary Sonic players and coaches are no longer associated with theSonics. Jack Sikma, Lenny Wilkens...etc.

And that's pretty much it so far.

It's a shame.

Because they've been there for so long, and they're going to be real good in a few years.

smh.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif

Thanks for they summary...never really understood what was really goin with that situation.
As for the pending lawsuit, I hope the team wins so they can move. OKC is very deserving by the way they showed up for them Hornets games. Also, Ford Center isfairly new; it opened in '02.

Thanks for the info...that Bennett guy sound like a big a-hole. Doesn't seem like he really cares about the history of the team. He just wants them to moveto Oklahoma as fast as he can get them there
smh.gif

Gary Payton is probably due to have his jersey retired by the Sonics soon. How wrong and awkward would that be if they retire his jersey in Oklahoma?

i think they shouldnt move to okc...there supposed to be in seattle, let them stay in seattle...the oklahoma city sonics? doesnt even sound right, soundsalmost as DUMB as the utah jazz smh

I live in Portland and have been following this too man. Its sad, even though I hate the Sonics, I don't want to see them move. We are going to have such agreat rivalry if they stay. The NBA is in for a rude awakening if they think that this team is going to draw mover fans and television views in a much smallermarket. Seattle owns OKC in every way. It's really sad that Stern is siding with Clay on this and doesn't want to try and keep the team in Seattle.

If Bennet does actually move the team he better not use the Sonics name, Seattle will get another franchise one day and they better be called the Supersonics.Teams like the L.A. "Lakers" (where are the lakes in LA?) and Utah "Jazz" (I don't hear Jazz and Utah mentioned in the same sentenceunless its the NBA team).

I think it's a damn shame, but what is done is done.

If Stern really cared, this would not happen.
City doesn't want to comply with a new arena, and it's a legit argument because they have helped fund all the other sports teams in the city.

At the same time, everyone knew exactly what was going to happen when the team was sold to an OK business man.

I think this would be a different story if the team was actually a legit contender.

If I had a vote, I would vote to keep the Sonics in Seattle.

They gotta do what they gotta do.

I feel horrible for those die-hard Seattle Sonics fans.

I just hope that Oklahoma really supports the team. It seemed to me that all the support the Hornets got would have slowed down after the novelty of a newhometown NBA team wore off. We'll see, I guess.

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

City doesn't want to comply with a new arena, and it's a legit argument because they have helped fund all the other sports teams in the city.
Not just did the city help pay for Qwest and Safeco Fields, but the city also renovated Key Arena. So there has been work done by the city to all 3.

(Background on Bennett: It's known that he has always wanted a team in Oklahoma. He was the main person that brought the Hornets to OK City after the Katrina disaster.)

nuff said.

just baffles me from a fan perspective (not business/political) that you can have two of the 3 major top pro sports leagues in town (btw why doesn'tseattle have a hockey team?) and not one (e.g. LA).

i wonder how the NBA would re-align the teams....would the OKC team still be in the northwest division?

i really hope they stay in seattle...too much history to move to oklahoma city...the best thing about OKC is its only 2.5 hours from dallas..

Oklahoma City Sonics sounds hella stupid. I wish they'd leave them in Seattle.

*Edit*
Oklahoma City Super Sonics sounds even worse
sick.gif

Everyone read Bill Simmons today. Think nobody cares? He got more than 3,000 letters in a single day about this.
Hopefully, with his large group of readers and a conveniently placed front page headline on ESPN.com, this will get the sonics to stay.

Sonics are one of the "cornerstones" and instantly recognizable franchises of the NBA. Even though they haven't been good in a while, they stillbelong there like the Bulls in Chicago, Lakers in LA, Knicks in NY, and Spurs in San Antonio.

Originally Posted by G2P0

Gary Payton is probably due to have his jersey retired by the Sonics soon. How wrong and awkward would that be if they retire his jersey in Oklahoma?

that'll be a shame
tired.gif

Back
Top Bottom