On Its Way Out? Is The Manual Transmission Finally Saying Goodbye?

What happen to wanting to drive instead of eating, or feeling on yourself while driving? Let's be real driving is for men, and that consist of a manual transmission.

What happen to wanting to drive instead of eating, or feeling on yourself while driving? Let's be real driving is for men, and that consist of a manual transmission.

Originally Posted by MF Doomer

eyes.gif
the insecurity on this forum is ridiculous.

eyes.gif
the insecurity on this forum is ridiculous.

manual > auto and this is coming from someone who prefers driving autos
controlling your own gears is where the fun is
you can chose to stay longer on a certain gear and feel the power of your engine

manual > auto and this is coming from someone who prefers driving autos
controlling your own gears is where the fun is
you can chose to stay longer on a certain gear and feel the power of your engine

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

not everyone enjoys driving on the same level. some people enjoy just cruising around, some enjoy going fast in a straight line, and some enjoy driving with a manual. no one's wrong, it's a personal preferance. for me, i don't mind having a auto in my DD, but i can't wait to get back into a manual. it's just a lot more fun to drive.

not everyone enjoys driving on the same level. some people enjoy just cruising around, some enjoy going fast in a straight line, and some enjoy driving with a manual. no one's wrong, it's a personal preferance. for me, i don't mind having a auto in my DD, but i can't wait to get back into a manual. it's just a lot more fun to drive.

Originally Posted by MOchi

Originally Posted by Mr718

[h1][/h1]

I don't know how to drive stick anyway.  I'd rather use the free hand to feel-up the unsuspecting female passenger
pimp.gif
lame.

And if those two makes stop making manuals, it doesn't faze me. 997 911 turbo for me
happy.gif

And standard is what real men/enthusiast drive.

/thread

6MT STAND UP!
Exactly. My (Attainable) dream car ain't even a ferrari anyway....it's a cot damn Cayman S.....err Carrera GT3 if I can help it...1 of which ONLY comes in manual. 

[h1][/h1]

I don't know how to drive stick anyway.  I'd rather use the free hand to feel-up the unsuspecting female passenger
pimp.gif
lame.

And if those two makes stop making manuals, it doesn't faze me. 997 911 turbo for me
happy.gif

/thread

6MT STAND UP!
Exactly. My (Attainable) dream car ain't even a ferrari anyway....it's a cot damn Cayman S.....err Carrera GT3 if I can help it...1 of which ONLY comes in manual. 

[h1][/h1]

pimp.gif
lame.

happy.gif

/thread

6MT STAND UP!

[h1][/h1]

pimp.gif
lame.

happy.gif

/thread

6MT STAND UP!

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

[h1][/h1]

pimp.gif
lame.

happy.gif

/thread

6MT STAND UP!

lets squeeze the carrera gt in there too. dat woodgrain knob
pimp.gif

IMG_0085.JPG

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

[h1][/h1]

pimp.gif
lame.

happy.gif

/thread

6MT STAND UP!

lets squeeze the carrera gt in there too. dat woodgrain knob
pimp.gif

IMG_0085.JPG

Originally Posted by Russ tha G

If you're truly a driving enthusiast, you should like these new and improved super-automatic transmissions like the ones mentioned in the article. Chances are you are no Schumacher or Gordon, and the technology will be shifting itself exponentially better than you could--not an attack, but there's an extremely high likelihood that any driver can't shift as well as some highly innovative transmission technology... except professional race car drivers.

It's not like they're watering down these super cars by making them automatic--they're actually making them more effective in the hands of most drivers.

Yep.

If you're truly a driving enthusiast, you should like these new and improved super-automatic transmissions like the ones mentioned in the article. Chances are you are no Schumacher or Gordon, and the technology will be shifting itself exponentially better than you could--not an attack, but there's an extremely high likelihood that any driver can't shift as well as some highly innovative transmission technology... except professional race car drivers.

It's not like they're watering down these super cars by making them automatic--they're actually making them more effective in the hands of most drivers.

Yep.

I would love to learn how to drive a manual, but it's not pressing.

The sportshift on my Acura is pretty cool though. I know it's not the same as a manual, but I like the feel of it.

I would love to learn how to drive a manual, but it's not pressing.

The sportshift on my Acura is pretty cool though. I know it's not the same as a manual, but I like the feel of it.

I don't understand why everyone seems to be missing the point. This article was based on Lamborghini's and Ferrari's. Supercars obviously have different transmissions compared to regular cars you see on the road. Take for instance, a M/T and an A/T Honda Civic. The M/T will obviously have better acceleration. Car enthusiasts would obviously go for a faster car, therefore deciding to get the M/T option of the same vehicle. IF, however, we're talking about Ferrari's, their transmissions are F1 GEARBOXES, which they consider as AUTOMATIC, or paddle shifters or SMG or whatever you wanna call them. You can't really compare their term for AUTOMATIC transmission to a vehicle like a Civic or a Corolla. Every car manufacturer have their own preferences with their transmissions. Porsche sports cars have mainly been using manual transmissions for cars like the GT2, GT3, Turbo, Carrera, etc. They also usually give cars more power for the M/T variants.

So before everyone starts complaining about how manly and unmanly it is to drive an A/T or M/T, remember that everyone has their own preferences. Even the car manufacturers themselves. Don't be ignorant. If a Ferrari comes with a so-called AUTOMATIC transmission, they do it for a reason. Don't get your panties up in a bunch, NT.

Flames welcome
smile.gif

I don't understand why everyone seems to be missing the point. This article was based on Lamborghini's and Ferrari's. Supercars obviously have different transmissions compared to regular cars you see on the road. Take for instance, a M/T and an A/T Honda Civic. The M/T will obviously have better acceleration. Car enthusiasts would obviously go for a faster car, therefore deciding to get the M/T option of the same vehicle. IF, however, we're talking about Ferrari's, their transmissions are F1 GEARBOXES, which they consider as AUTOMATIC, or paddle shifters or SMG or whatever you wanna call them. You can't really compare their term for AUTOMATIC transmission to a vehicle like a Civic or a Corolla. Every car manufacturer have their own preferences with their transmissions. Porsche sports cars have mainly been using manual transmissions for cars like the GT2, GT3, Turbo, Carrera, etc. They also usually give cars more power for the M/T variants.

So before everyone starts complaining about how manly and unmanly it is to drive an A/T or M/T, remember that everyone has their own preferences. Even the car manufacturers themselves. Don't be ignorant. If a Ferrari comes with a so-called AUTOMATIC transmission, they do it for a reason. Don't get your panties up in a bunch, NT.

Flames welcome
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Yep.

not really relevant since it doesn't change your argument but FYI those F1 drivers don't use manuals, they use paddle shifters with no clutch pedal.........paddle shifters in road cars came from F1 technology.

the latest F1 gearboxes in Ferrari automobiles and the like shift faster than is physically possible.....nobody can make gear shifts in under 50 ms. and the dual clutch gearboxes are even more effective.

but that's the thing.....none of us are (to use more modern names
glasses.gif
) hamilton or alonso. we don't get our driving satisfaction from shaving hundredths of a second off of lap times on race tracks.

for most driving enthusiasts, being in complete control of the car is a much more exciting and rewarding experience than having the car make decisions for you, even if it can do it better than you.

i could definitely run a faster lap time in an AWD, F1-transmission car with the traction control on. doesn't mean it's a better drive. gimme a RWD 6 spd, no electronic aids, it'll be way more challenging and i'll have the time of my life.

Back
Top Bottom