Osama Bin Laden is dead

Osama wasn't even the bad guy America made him out to be...IMO he was a scapegoat used by G.W. Bush and the US Gov't. But thats for another day...

Osama wasn't even the bad guy America made him out to be...IMO he was a scapegoat used by G.W. Bush and the US Gov't. But thats for another day...

Originally Posted by LouisVuittonDonKing

Trollin like a river?

Trollin like a river?

Originally Posted by ONHOLLOWEDGROUND821

Originally Posted by MJRM2384

I stumbled on a solid Tee that Grumpybearclothing.com is making a limited run of. Got my preorder in! 
zl4y6s.jpg

Can I get a Link?

yourenotfoolinganyone.com

Hazeleyed Honey wrote:
tkthafm wrote:
See, I agree with what I crossed out, and would like evidence for what I bolded.

As for the last part of your post, "Mujahideen" is used as a blanket label. I'm distinguishing between Bin Laden and the hardcore foreigners who would later make up al-Qaeda (Afghan Arabs) and the indigenous Afghans.  No one is denying that the CIA used Pakistan as a proxy to arm/train Afghani Mujahideen. My issue is with the claim that the US knowingly funded/armed the Afghan Arabs or "founded" al-Qaeda. Is it possible that the ISI recruited foreigners/gave them arms ? Sure, the connection between the ISI and al-Qaeda is known (but they didn't "found" al-Qaeda either). 

I laid out evidence for you of how the CIA indirectly through the ISI providing cover and overt funding to fund the mujahideens. 

Reagan signed National Security Decision Directive 166 in 1985. Read the 1992 article written by Steve Coll in the Washington Post, "Anatomy of a Victory: CIA's Covert Afghan War". I found a link to where you can read the article: http://www.globalissues.org/article/258/anatomy-of-a-victory-cias-covert-afghan-war 

Here is another article, "How The CIA Created Bin Laden": http://www.greenleft.org.au/node/24198

You can read up on Operation Cyclone. "Operation Cyclone was the code name for the United States Central Intelligence Agency program to arm, train, and finance the Afghan mujahideen during theSoviet war in Afghanistan, 1979 to 1989." That is the brief definition from Wikipedia, but you can read an article on it here: http://dangeroustravel.blogspot.com/2008/01/defeated-by-his-success.html or you can just google Operation Cyclone.

link 1: no mention of Arab/Foreigners, once again the blanket "Mujahideen" term.
link 2:  
Between 1978 and 1992, the US government poured at least US$6 billion (some estimates range as high as $20 billion) worth of arms, training and funds to prop up the mujaheddin factions. Other Western governments, as well as oil-rich Saudi Arabia, kicked in as much again. Wealthy Arab fanatics, like Osama bin Laden, provided millions more.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, 'Bitstream Vera Sans', sans-serif]...Ok ? [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, 'Bitstream Vera Sans', sans-serif]
[/font]

[/font]

Link 3: Finally. I know what Operation Cyclone is, but anything more legitimate than a blog post to show the CIA directly funded MAK ?

PS: The US knowing about/tolerating Bin Laden/Arab Afghans =/= supporting or "founding" them.

I'm going with Peter Bergen on this one:

The story about bin Laden and the CIA — that the CIA funded bin Laden or trained bin Laden — is simply a folk myth. There's no evidence of this. In fact, there are very few things that bin Laden, Ayman al-Zawahiri and the U.S. government agree on. They all agree that they didn't have a relationship in the 1980s. And they wouldn't have needed to. Bin Laden had his own money, he was anti-American and he was operating secretly and independently. The real story here is the CIA did not understand who Osama was until 1996, when they set up a unit to really start tracking him.

Hazeleyed Honey wrote:
tkthafm wrote:
See, I agree with what I crossed out, and would like evidence for what I bolded.

As for the last part of your post, "Mujahideen" is used as a blanket label. I'm distinguishing between Bin Laden and the hardcore foreigners who would later make up al-Qaeda (Afghan Arabs) and the indigenous Afghans.  No one is denying that the CIA used Pakistan as a proxy to arm/train Afghani Mujahideen. My issue is with the claim that the US knowingly funded/armed the Afghan Arabs or "founded" al-Qaeda. Is it possible that the ISI recruited foreigners/gave them arms ? Sure, the connection between the ISI and al-Qaeda is known (but they didn't "found" al-Qaeda either). 

I laid out evidence for you of how the CIA indirectly through the ISI providing cover and overt funding to fund the mujahideens. 

Reagan signed National Security Decision Directive 166 in 1985. Read the 1992 article written by Steve Coll in the Washington Post, "Anatomy of a Victory: CIA's Covert Afghan War". I found a link to where you can read the article: http://www.globalissues.org/article/258/anatomy-of-a-victory-cias-covert-afghan-war 

Here is another article, "How The CIA Created Bin Laden": http://www.greenleft.org.au/node/24198

You can read up on Operation Cyclone. "Operation Cyclone was the code name for the United States Central Intelligence Agency program to arm, train, and finance the Afghan mujahideen during theSoviet war in Afghanistan, 1979 to 1989." That is the brief definition from Wikipedia, but you can read an article on it here: http://dangeroustravel.blogspot.com/2008/01/defeated-by-his-success.html or you can just google Operation Cyclone.

link 1: no mention of Arab/Foreigners, once again the blanket "Mujahideen" term.
link 2:  
Between 1978 and 1992, the US government poured at least US$6 billion (some estimates range as high as $20 billion) worth of arms, training and funds to prop up the mujaheddin factions. Other Western governments, as well as oil-rich Saudi Arabia, kicked in as much again. Wealthy Arab fanatics, like Osama bin Laden, provided millions more.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, 'Bitstream Vera Sans', sans-serif]...Ok ? [/font]

[/font]

[/font]

Link 3: Finally. I know what Operation Cyclone is, but anything more legitimate than a blog post to show the CIA directly funded MAK ?

PS: The US knowing about/tolerating Bin Laden/Arab Afghans =/= supporting or "founding" them.

I'm going with Peter Bergen on this one:

The story about bin Laden and the CIA — that the CIA funded bin Laden or trained bin Laden — is simply a folk myth. There's no evidence of this. In fact, there are very few things that bin Laden, Ayman al-Zawahiri and the U.S. government agree on. They all agree that they didn't have a relationship in the 1980s. And they wouldn't have needed to. Bin Laden had his own money, he was anti-American and he was operating secretly and independently. The real story here is the CIA did not understand who Osama was until 1996, when they set up a unit to really start tracking him.

Originally Posted by triplekrown

Trollin like a river?
It is what it is. It's my own opinion. 

Originally Posted by triplekrown

Trollin like a river?
It is what it is. It's my own opinion. 

Back
Top Bottom