Osama Bin Laden is dead

tkthafm wrote:

From link 2 I provided:
According to Ahmed Rashid, a correspondent for the Far Eastern Economic Review, in 1986 CIA chief William Casey committed CIA support to a long-standing ISI proposal to recruit from around the world to join the Afghan jihad. At least 100,000 Islamic militants flocked to Pakistan between 1982 and 1992 (some 60,000 attended fundamentalist schools in Pakistan without necessarily taking part in the fighting).

Another article from Global Research, which took this tidbit from their source from the article in Foreign Policy by Ahmed Rashid entitled "The Taliban: Exporting Extremism", November-December 1999:
With the active encouragement of the CIA and Pakistan's ISI [Inter Services Intelligence], who wanted to turn the Afghan jihad into a global war waged by all Muslim states against the Soviet Union, some 35,000 Muslim radicals from 40 Islamic countries joined Afghanistan's fight between 1982 and 1992. Tens of thousands more came to study in Pakistani madrasahs. Eventually more than 100,000 foreign Muslim radicals were directly influenced by the Afghan jihad.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=3198

How is it that you imply the U.S. did not help support these local and foreign mujahideens when it is right there written in blanket U.S. official documents they approved the funding and aid to mujahideens through the Operation Cyclone, the Reagan Doctrine and the National Directive spearheaded by Carter and Reagan?  

tkthafm wrote:

From link 2 I provided:
According to Ahmed Rashid, a correspondent for the Far Eastern Economic Review, in 1986 CIA chief William Casey committed CIA support to a long-standing ISI proposal to recruit from around the world to join the Afghan jihad. At least 100,000 Islamic militants flocked to Pakistan between 1982 and 1992 (some 60,000 attended fundamentalist schools in Pakistan without necessarily taking part in the fighting).

Another article from Global Research, which took this tidbit from their source from the article in Foreign Policy by Ahmed Rashid entitled "The Taliban: Exporting Extremism", November-December 1999:
With the active encouragement of the CIA and Pakistan's ISI [Inter Services Intelligence], who wanted to turn the Afghan jihad into a global war waged by all Muslim states against the Soviet Union, some 35,000 Muslim radicals from 40 Islamic countries joined Afghanistan's fight between 1982 and 1992. Tens of thousands more came to study in Pakistani madrasahs. Eventually more than 100,000 foreign Muslim radicals were directly influenced by the Afghan jihad.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=3198

How is it that you imply the U.S. did not help support these local and foreign mujahideens when it is right there written in blanket U.S. official documents they approved the funding and aid to mujahideens through the Operation Cyclone, the Reagan Doctrine and the National Directive spearheaded by Carter and Reagan?  

laugh.gif
@the raygun 

This thread makes me sad.

You guys really care about this? Like this dude created some explosives visited the WTC, placed them, and blew them up himself and then ran back to his cave where he hid for 10 years.

Straight pathetic all I can say is you guys need to visit other countries and cultures.

You guys really care about this? Like this dude created some explosives visited the WTC, placed them, and blew them up himself and then ran back to his cave where he hid for 10 years.

Straight pathetic all I can say is you guys need to visit other countries and cultures.

Originally Posted by WHPH10

Nice vid, and his cave was a mansion and dude wasn't hiding since he didn't do it
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by WHPH10

Nice vid, and his cave was a mansion and dude wasn't hiding since he didn't do it
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by KatieJade4

Originally Posted by Benihana

Not to mention this wasn't much a victory. Nothing will change. The war is not over. Troops are not on their way home.
When that day comes, I'll celebrate. 

Agreed. But a lot of people celebrate just to feel apart of history or to follow the pack, not because they have some big personal belief on the issue. I was in Chicago the night Obama was elected, went with a huge group of people to the rally. Everybody was celebrating and wearing Obama shirts, stickers, hats etc, all this excitement and out of that huge group of people that went, over 80% didn't even vote for Obama. And this was true for a lot of people there in Grant Park that night. Celebrating a cause that they did not contribute to. People celebrate just to do it.

-The Juice

Celebrating an election is way different than celebrating a death. Shame on everyone that was celebrating last night, whether they were genuinely happy about the demise of Osama or whether they were following the crowd or trying to be part of history. I just think us celebrating is making us just as bad as our enemies and I think we're better than that. 
But whatever... I guess you either celebrate or you don't
roll.gif
I celebrated because :
1) I have good friends that lost people in the twin towers.

2) The man that inconveniences me by having all these TSA procedures and making me take my bloody shoes off at the airport is dead.

I wish I could see his corpse and take a White Castle / broccoli cheddar soup / 6 hard boiled eggs / pot of coffee / 5 McDoubles without the bun / half gallon of Yoo Hoo & pack of Camels crap on his face for 1 & 2 combined. What a jerk that guy was.

In all seriousness, I'm glad he's dead. Randy Couture sure didn't waste time after retiring, huh.

Originally Posted by Benihana

Not to mention this wasn't much a victory. Nothing will change. The war is not over. Troops are not on their way home.
When that day comes, I'll celebrate. 

Agreed. But a lot of people celebrate just to feel apart of history or to follow the pack, not because they have some big personal belief on the issue. I was in Chicago the night Obama was elected, went with a huge group of people to the rally. Everybody was celebrating and wearing Obama shirts, stickers, hats etc, all this excitement and out of that huge group of people that went, over 80% didn't even vote for Obama. And this was true for a lot of people there in Grant Park that night. Celebrating a cause that they did not contribute to. People celebrate just to do it.

-The Juice

Celebrating an election is way different than celebrating a death. Shame on everyone that was celebrating last night, whether they were genuinely happy about the demise of Osama or whether they were following the crowd or trying to be part of history. I just think us celebrating is making us just as bad as our enemies and I think we're better than that. 
But whatever... I guess you either celebrate or you don't
roll.gif
I celebrated because :
1) I have good friends that lost people in the twin towers.

2) The man that inconveniences me by having all these TSA procedures and making me take my bloody shoes off at the airport is dead.

I wish I could see his corpse and take a White Castle / broccoli cheddar soup / 6 hard boiled eggs / pot of coffee / 5 McDoubles without the bun / half gallon of Yoo Hoo & pack of Camels crap on his face for 1 & 2 combined. What a jerk that guy was.

In all seriousness, I'm glad he's dead. Randy Couture sure didn't waste time after retiring, huh.

There's some interesting discussions going on here regarding the extent of U.S. support for mujaheedeens against the Soviets. I just wanted to point out that U.S. support of Islamic fundamentalists actually dates back to well before the 1980s. Actually, the U.S. saw Islamic fundamentalists as an acceptable counterweight to Communism in the Middle East dating back to the 1950s. The U.S. supported several Islamist groups in the region because they feared that Middle Eastern countries would turn to Communism and ofcourse as we all know, some of the same Islamists that depended on U.S. support for all those decades ending up turning on the U.S. when they realized how influential America was in the region.

As for bin Laden's death, it is definitely welcome news but the man was more of a symbolic figurehead than an actual threat to the U.S. and the West. Unfortunately terrorists will continue to strike until the following two aims are achieved:
-Western countries leave all Muslim soil completely
-All Muslim countries are ruled by sharia law

Bin Laden was just one of many people that shared these goals and I do not think we will see the end of terrorism or this ideological battle between the West and these Islamists anytime soon. The West knows that their presence in the region is one of the primary causes of terrorism however countries such as the U.S. have way too many economic interests in the Middle East to just get up and leave.

There's some interesting discussions going on here regarding the extent of U.S. support for mujaheedeens against the Soviets. I just wanted to point out that U.S. support of Islamic fundamentalists actually dates back to well before the 1980s. Actually, the U.S. saw Islamic fundamentalists as an acceptable counterweight to Communism in the Middle East dating back to the 1950s. The U.S. supported several Islamist groups in the region because they feared that Middle Eastern countries would turn to Communism and ofcourse as we all know, some of the same Islamists that depended on U.S. support for all those decades ending up turning on the U.S. when they realized how influential America was in the region.

As for bin Laden's death, it is definitely welcome news but the man was more of a symbolic figurehead than an actual threat to the U.S. and the West. Unfortunately terrorists will continue to strike until the following two aims are achieved:
-Western countries leave all Muslim soil completely
-All Muslim countries are ruled by sharia law

Bin Laden was just one of many people that shared these goals and I do not think we will see the end of terrorism or this ideological battle between the West and these Islamists anytime soon. The West knows that their presence in the region is one of the primary causes of terrorism however countries such as the U.S. have way too many economic interests in the Middle East to just get up and leave.

Back
Top Bottom