Paulus trying football again?

[h2]Reports: Paulus has Packers tryout[/h2]
Comment Email Print Share
ESPN.com news services

Greg Paulus, who chose to be a point guard instead ofa quarterback in college, reportedly has worked out for the Green BayPackers.

Paulus, who started 95 games at Duke before his role wasdrastically reduced his senior season, worked out in front of Packers representatives in Durham, N.C., "a couple of days ago," according to theWisconsin State Journal. ProFootballTalk.com also had the report. It is not clear for what position he was auditioning.

[+] Enlarge
Jim O'Connor/US PresswireGreg Paulus was Duke's starting point guard for three seasons before losing the job to Nolan Smith.

Though Paulus, from Syracuse, N.Y., opted for the Blue Devils as a basketball player, he is not without some serious football credentials. He was offered afootball scholarship by Notre Dame as well as the University of Miami, and was a former Gatorade football player of the year at Christian Brothers Academy.

Paulus, 6-foot-1, 180 pounds, was a four-time all-state football player; a starter in the U.S. Army All-American game; and set six state passing records.Christian Brothers was 42-3 during his time there, and he had 11,763 career passing yards and 152 touchdown passes in 45 games.

He is the only one among his male siblings to take the basketball route. Each of his five brothers played Division I-A football; Mike Paulus is currently aquarterback at North Carolina.

Paulus averaged 9.9 points and 4.1 assists as a three-year starter for the Blue Devils. But coach Mike Krzyzewski shuffled his lineup and Paulus, with ahistory of injuries, was replaced by Nolan Smith at thepoint. Paulus played just 16.1 minutes a game this season, averaging 4.9 points and 1.3 assists.

He earned widespread praise, however, for his conduct and demeanor after losing the starting job, giving guidance to the younger players and never showingoutward disgruntlement.

He also expressed no regret about choosing basketball over football, during an interview in January with USA Today.

"I wanted to play point guard, and I got a chance to do that and to play for Duke and Coach [Krzyzewski]," Paulus told USA Today. "Iwouldn't change a thing."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4067162

He should have played football at notre dame, he prolly would have been next up after Brady Quinn, clausen started his freshman year because our other optionwas evan sharpley, and he sucks and is a better baseball prospect than football

I was about to post this.... prepare for a new "most hated man" in the NFL

(but on the real this dude won't make it, last time he played QB was HS right? Best of luck w/o any college experience. Dude is gonna be like
eek.gif
"ITS SO FAST! SLOW DOWN! RUN SHORTER ROUTES!" )

Umm.. seriously? I never knew he had these football credentials but wth.. I'd imagine it to be an astronomical jump from high school to NFL football and atthe qb position to boot!

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

football is the only sport where people can play pro having never played previously at a high level
smh.gif
Huh?

Like who?

It happens in all sports...there are rags-to-riches stories all over the place....

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

football is the only sport where people can play pro having never played previously at a high level
smh.gif
Huh?

Like who?

It happens in all sports...there are rags-to-riches stories all over the place....
I think he was being sarcastic..

Originally Posted by swyftdahoe

smh.gif
Huh?

Like who?

laugh.gif
Damn....my sarcasm meter musta been off

my apologies...carry on

as much as i hate the guy, props to him for doing what he wants and keeping his "demeanor" during his senior year.

how can he just make an NFL team, look at how small and weak he is.. not to mention he hasnt played in 4 years.... this has to be a joke..someone from his campleaked the story to boost his image... obvious

6'1" 180

at QB
laugh.gif

in the NFL
laugh.gif

Ahhh man this is gonna be great if he makes a team.
I'd love to see him get knocked the %**# out.

I'm pretty sure he was rated #1 in the country on Rivals at QB and PG back when he was a senior in HS

Umm.. seriously? I never knew he had these football credentials but wth.. I'd imagine it to be an astronomical jump from high school to NFL football and at the qb position to boot!

Try Antonio gates
laugh.gif

smh.gif
Huh?

Like who?

laugh.gif

my apologies...carry on

nope. no sarcasm here.

as much as i hate the guy, props to him for doing what he wants and keeping his "demeanor" during his senior year.

bothers me when coaches move a guy from the starting lineup because of something petty but when the game is tight and that coach really needs to winthey'll plug that player in because they are really the best option.

paulus was an atrocious defender what with being jumped over every other game but he ran the offense well and was more effective offensively than smith andwilliams.

Um didn't Matt Cassell only throw 33 passes as a college player? I'm not comparing the butt it ain't too far-fetched I guess

Originally Posted by PharelFor3

Um didn't Matt Cassell only throw 33 passes as a college player? I'm not comparing the butt it ain't too far-fetched I guess
Yeah, but he has been Preparing to be the starting QB and actually throwing passes etc for 4-5 years in college.

He's never been out of football.

smh.gif
Huh?

Like who?

laugh.gif

my apologies...carry on

nope. no sarcasm here.

bothers me when coaches move a guy from the starting lineup because of something petty but when the game is tight and that coach really needs to win they'll plug that player in because they are really the best option.

paulus was an atrocious defender what with being jumped over every other game but he ran the offense well and was more effective offensively than smith and williams.

So who exactly are you talking about then? Seriously who?

Back
Top Bottom