Penny 3's for ball?

I have seen a few guys around the league wearing them last year. How are they in terms of cushioning and performance?

Cushioning is decent, but not amazing. Support is pretty good. Fit is neat.

Traction leaves something to be desired.

I think they receive a D+ for balling in.  I was looking forward to the white/red release for a while, and was disappointed. Forefoot cushioning is supposed to be zoom...I couldn't feel it.  Also, go down half a size.  If you want a great Penny balling shoe, check out the Penny II- lock down isn't great, but everything else is.

better than penny II in my opinion. much better lockdown feel, and the same traction i thought. they ran TTS in my experience though.

i am a huge fan of forefoot zoom and heel maxair, though.

Stories going round that this years run feels different from last years.

After the way the 3s tanked least year, wouldn't surprise me a bit if Nike decided to cut corners on this years run.

Originally Posted by offbad

i thought. they ran TTS in my experience though

The trouble with these reviews is one person's true to size is another's neat.

(Last years) run is a little narrow (imo) with a pokey toe box.

I can't comment on this years........

...although it shouldn't be too hard to get a deal on one of the colorways from last year.

sort of clunky but overall decent

i mean it's a basketball shoe, it'll be good for balling

I've balled in mine and I really enjoyed them. The traction on mine was actually quite amazing. Much better than my AML 7s. That's about all that I favored though. Not a bad ballin shoe, but nothing spectacular.

nike clearly stated a few times any shoes in a Nike Sportswear Box (brown box with all the logos) SHOULD NOT be used for anything but Sportswear (casual wear) use......... meaning there not going to perform like the originals...... so i recommend u dont ball in them

^^ Your avy is a PROBLEM....
sorry I got distracted. How's the heal cushioning? I been bottoming out all my zoom air shoes in the heal areas on landings (strange I know).

So I decided to pick these up the other day. I played in them yesterday and I absolutely love them! IMO the combination of zoom and air max in the heel is the best set up. Traction was good right out the box. I took a few hard jump stops and felt nothing... which surprised me because I normally feel a shock in my heel. I am seriously thinking about buying another pair.

^ Which shoes have you bottomed the Zoom out in? I've bruised my heels in the Kobe 3's and Zoom BB's.

I would have to agree that air max heel and zoom forefoot is one of the best cushioning setups. Too bad it's not very common. It was awesome in the 2001 Cool Grey Penny IV's, but the forefoot zoom in the 2005 Retro's was dissapointing.

Originally Posted by KeonClark7

^ Which shoes have you bottomed the Zoom out in? I've bruised my heels in the Kobe 3's and Zoom BB's.

I would have to agree that air max heel and zoom forefoot is one of the best cushioning setups. Too bad it's not very common. It was awesome in the 2001 Cool Grey Penny IV's, but the forefoot zoom in the 2005 Retro's was dissapointing.

Yeah, the forefoot cushioning in the later Penny IVs is horrible.

Originally Posted by swingshot

The zoom in the retro IV's was a fail. I bottomed out the heels in the 20.5.5, soldier 3, kobe 2, BB and many other shoes. Only the air max heel seems to hold up to my kind of heel abuse. Have you guys balled in the penny 3?  

Originally Posted by swingshot

The zoom in the retro IV's was a fail. I bottomed out the heels in the 20.5.5, soldier 3, kobe 2, BB and many other shoes. Only the air max heel seems to hold up to my kind of heel abuse. Have you guys balled in the penny 3?  

penny 2s for me have terrible ankle support-- compared to the III or otherwise.

cushioning is the same, fits wider in the toe box area.

traction about the same as well.

penny IIIs gets my vote for balling.

Originally Posted by offbad

penny 2s for me have terrible ankle support-- compared to the III or otherwise.

cushioning is the same, fits wider in the toe box area.

traction about the same as well.

penny IIIs gets my vote for balling.

Not going to go dig them out.... but i thought the heel and forefoot on the III retro wasn't as stiff as on the II. (?)

Originally Posted by Hardaway33

How are the Penny 2's? I see a bunch of them at the outlet. Which is more comfortable 2 or 3?

IMO, 3, but neither is outstanding.

^^ Thanks fellas for the info. I just am looking for a good shoe that has air max in the heal and zoom in the forefoot. I think that I will have to try the soldier 4. They look promising.

Originally Posted by Hardaway33

^^ Thanks fellas for the info. I just am looking for a good shoe that has air max in the heal and zoom in the forefoot. I think that I will have to try the soldier 4. They look promising.
try the retro KG III

i think it goes by Nike Air 3 LE these days.

Back
Top Bottom