Pippen Says LeBron is "Best Player Ever"

Originally Posted by 2o6

sick.gif
that pasds after 2:07
LMAO@ their defense. wilt wouldn't smell 20ppg in this league 
laugh.gif

Let's get some facts about Wilt Chamberlain. I always considered him overrated, but some OD comments in this post are making us who consider Wilt overrated on the basis of a rational analysis and not ignorant prejudice look bad.

He didn't play against 6'6 white guys. But he did play against 6'8-6'9-6'10 centers, and he had a 3-4 inch advantage over anyone in the league.
Saying that he wouldn't come close to 20 ppg today is stupid. But you can forget about him averaging anything close to those numbers from the early 60s. He probably wouldn't have the best all-round numbers in the league.

14 seasons in the league. Made the playoffs 13 times. Not a single time in those 13 was his playoff ppg higher than his regular season ppg. That should tell you that the insane numbers he put up were milked when he played against very poor teams.
Also, Wilt was a worse free throw shooter than Shaq. Not as bad. Worse. That pretty much eliminates him from being the GOAT in my book.

Michael Jordan is the GOAT and no current player will overshadow him. I doubt that anyone will ever eclipse or match all those different trophies he has on that picture. Especially considering he got all those in a span of 15 seasons (would've been 13 had he not come back with the Wizards).

Let's get some facts about Wilt Chamberlain. I always considered him overrated, but some OD comments in this post are making us who consider Wilt overrated on the basis of a rational analysis and not ignorant prejudice look bad.

He didn't play against 6'6 white guys. But he did play against 6'8-6'9-6'10 centers, and he had a 3-4 inch advantage over anyone in the league.
Saying that he wouldn't come close to 20 ppg today is stupid. But you can forget about him averaging anything close to those numbers from the early 60s. He probably wouldn't have the best all-round numbers in the league.

14 seasons in the league. Made the playoffs 13 times. Not a single time in those 13 was his playoff ppg higher than his regular season ppg. That should tell you that the insane numbers he put up were milked when he played against very poor teams.
Also, Wilt was a worse free throw shooter than Shaq. Not as bad. Worse. That pretty much eliminates him from being the GOAT in my book.

Michael Jordan is the GOAT and no current player will overshadow him. I doubt that anyone will ever eclipse or match all those different trophies he has on that picture. Especially considering he got all those in a span of 15 seasons (would've been 13 had he not come back with the Wizards).

Wilt was way ahead of other players in the league. Sure he could not be that dominant in the NBA of the last 20 years, as the defense, athleticsm has increased much compared to the 1960's1970's.
But maybe Wilt Chamberlain would have also been more muscular and more versatile if he was in our time.
Imaging a Lebron, Kobe, Jordan etc. would play in the 1960's. They would be bored to death because of the
weak defensive play back then.
the game of basketball has evolved several times.

Wilt was way ahead of other players in the league. Sure he could not be that dominant in the NBA of the last 20 years, as the defense, athleticsm has increased much compared to the 1960's1970's.
But maybe Wilt Chamberlain would have also been more muscular and more versatile if he was in our time.
Imaging a Lebron, Kobe, Jordan etc. would play in the 1960's. They would be bored to death because of the
weak defensive play back then.
the game of basketball has evolved several times.

League was filled with more fundamentally sound players back then (not true today), to say Wilt would not be successful today is idiotic. Besides size Wilt was able to get any shot off he wanted....hook, bank shot, free throw extended, or power his way in.

You're giving todays league too much credit when the quality of players today is not even that good.

League was filled with more fundamentally sound players back then (not true today), to say Wilt would not be successful today is idiotic. Besides size Wilt was able to get any shot off he wanted....hook, bank shot, free throw extended, or power his way in.

You're giving todays league too much credit when the quality of players today is not even that good.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Um no... You do realize alot of these players couldnt change direction while dribbling, switch hands, dribble with both hands, shoot with both hands, finish with both hands. And yes wilt was ahead of his time, but his competition was way behind this time. And of course with no zone defense, no 3 sec in the paint, etc and the average player he faced was several inches and lbs inferior to him + his athletism and skill set. He was bound to dominate. It be like dwight playing streetball with some aau middle school ballers. And it is much harder/more quality of players today then ever. Bball was more of a novelty sport. Now bball is a global sport. The competition has expanded to worldwide. Its guys that are great players and cant even make it past summer tryouts

Wilt would in this day in age i have no doubt dominate esp considering outside of d12 there arent any real centers, but in the mid 80's-90's era of akeem, robinson, ewing, prime shaq. I seriously doubt hed be putting 100 pts 50 rebounds.

Um no... You do realize alot of these players couldnt change direction while dribbling, switch hands, dribble with both hands, shoot with both hands, finish with both hands. And yes wilt was ahead of his time, but his competition was way behind this time. And of course with no zone defense, no 3 sec in the paint, etc and the average player he faced was several inches and lbs inferior to him + his athletism and skill set. He was bound to dominate. It be like dwight playing streetball with some aau middle school ballers. And it is much harder/more quality of players today then ever. Bball was more of a novelty sport. Now bball is a global sport. The competition has expanded to worldwide. Its guys that are great players and cant even make it past summer tryouts

Wilt would in this day in age i have no doubt dominate esp considering outside of d12 there arent any real centers, but in the mid 80's-90's era of akeem, robinson, ewing, prime shaq. I seriously doubt hed be putting 100 pts 50 rebounds.

Obviously he wont score 100 points but someone else said he would've even be that good of a player today, pretty ignorant statement.

Obviously he wont score 100 points but someone else said he would've even be that good of a player today, pretty ignorant statement.

When you show me a 7 footer with a 48 inch vertical who runs the 440 in 49.0 seconds, you can talk to me about how athletically superior the players of today are.

When you show me a 7 footer with a 48 inch vertical who runs the 440 in 49.0 seconds, you can talk to me about how athletically superior the players of today are.

Exactly too much under/overrating here. I say for centers today he could dominate do to the fact dwight is the only legitimate center. but lets not act like there wasnt only 7 players playing center over 6'7 and over 200lbs (2 in which were russell at 6-9 and wilt at 7'1) Im not diminishing what he did, but an athletic, strong, quick 7'1 235lbs with no lane rules or violations versus on and average night a 6'7-6'8 180lbs non athletic, not quick, not quite strong white guys... He had virtually no competition. It be like prime jordan going across the country playing highschool kids. Does it take away from how great jordan is no.... But its not like id be like wow jordan is str8 dogging these 15 y/o. He is the man.

Exactly too much under/overrating here. I say for centers today he could dominate do to the fact dwight is the only legitimate center. but lets not act like there wasnt only 7 players playing center over 6'7 and over 200lbs (2 in which were russell at 6-9 and wilt at 7'1) Im not diminishing what he did, but an athletic, strong, quick 7'1 235lbs with no lane rules or violations versus on and average night a 6'7-6'8 180lbs non athletic, not quick, not quite strong white guys... He had virtually no competition. It be like prime jordan going across the country playing highschool kids. Does it take away from how great jordan is no.... But its not like id be like wow jordan is str8 dogging these 15 y/o. He is the man.

Originally Posted by OnionSlice

All I keep hearing are these stories about Wilt, but whenever I see him on videos, he looks slow. Very slow actually. Not slow as in non-fast because he looks to be able to run the court in a short amount of time with his huge steps, but slow as in non-quick. His movements in the post are slow motion, somewhere between Ewing and Mutombo.

Originally Posted by OnionSlice

All I keep hearing are these stories about Wilt, but whenever I see him on videos, he looks slow. Very slow actually. Not slow as in non-fast because he looks to be able to run the court in a short amount of time with his huge steps, but slow as in non-quick. His movements in the post are slow motion, somewhere between Ewing and Mutombo.

The people on this board
30t6p3b.gif

Ever think that players in Wilt's era didn't have the advantages in weight training/medicine, scouting, travel, rule changes, etc. that players do today? You truly think that these players wouldn't take advantages of these things? How can you compare players across eras (and say they "suck") without keeping these things in mind? Ever wonder how today's players would play back in the day WITHOUT these benefits?

You can actually put Wilt's numbers into the context of his era (and the defenses he played against) and THEN compare him to other players. He comes out top THREE.

Back
Top Bottom