Please lock.

I'm pretty sure at the pre fight weigh in Angulo came in at 174 and Canelo came in at 170. Lara is no way near as good as Floyd, this is the same Lara that had a draw with Vanes Martyirosan and got a gift decision against Carlos Molina. Lara is by far more overated than Canelo. 
How can you be overrated when you've fought nothing but quality competition and continue to try and do so? Some of you kids are dumb as rocks. Lara is overrated but the dude who constantly fights guys smaller than him isn't 
laugh.gif
? And someone actually repped your nonsense? Amazing......... If Lara is so overrated why won't Canelo fight the man? On top of that when did I say Lara is as good as Mayweather? Reading is fundamental kid. I said he fights a similarly defensively responsible style, is a precise counter puncher and has great foot work. 

Put both of their resumes side by side it's not even close. The fight with Vanes was no draw just like he didn't lose to Williams. The Molina fight I scored for Molina but it was so ugly you really can't argue against the draw. Lara has fought ALL the top fighters at 154 you know his own division unlike Canelo. He's also wiling to fight GGG and Mayweather they just won't take the fight just like your boy Canelo.

Last but not least, when Canelo stops ducking Lara me you and whoever else can place a friendly wager anytime son. I'll even make it worth your while by betting double whatever you want to. 

Last edited:
Not mad at that stoppage at all.

Angulo was bringing nothing to the table. If he was throwing bombs while eating those shots it's a different thing but everything he threw seemed like it was at 50%.

**** was hard to watch.

How can you be overrated when you've fought nothing but quality competition and continue to try and do so? Some of you kids are dumb as rocks. Lara is overrated but the dude who constantly fights guys smaller than him isn't 
laugh.gif
? And some repped your nonsense? Amazing......... If Lara is so overrated why won't Canelo fight the man? On top of that when did I say Lara is as good as Mayweather? Reading is fundamental kid. I said he fights a similar defensively responsible style, is a precise counter puncher and has great foot work.

Put both of their resumes side by side it's not even close. The fight with Vanes was no draw just like he didn't lose to Williams. The Molina fight I scored for Molina but it was so ugly you really can't argue against the draw. Lara has fought ALL the top fighters at 154 you know his own division unlike Canelo. He's also wiling to fight GGG and Mayweather they just won't take the fight just like your boy Canelo.

Last but not least, when Canelo stops ducking Lara me you and whoever else can place a friendly wager anytime son. I'll even make it worth your while by betting double whatever you want to.
Lara will have to use his defensive style and run all night because as soon as he takes a power shot like Angulo did he's getting droppppppppped.  I like Lara but if he can't take slow thudding shots from Angulo he sure isn't taking crisp, power shots from Canelo.  If Angulo can touch him you bet your bottom dollar Canelo will easily.

Lara will have to use his defensive style and run all night because as soon as he takes a power shot like Angulo did he's getting droppppppppped.  I like Lara but if he can't take slow thudding shots from Angulo he sure isn't taking crisp, power shots from Canelo.  If Angulo can touch him you bet your bottom dollar Canelo will easily.
What part of styles make fights don't some of you guys get? That wasn't even remotely same Angulo that fought Lara. He didn't fight the same way. Even a novice boxing fan should have peeped that. Again, Canelo is not a pressure fighter so I wouldn't be worried about him walking Lara down like Angulo did. You also mentioned that Lara would run all night. You mean like Canelo moved and ran from Floyd or Trout? Or like he was moving away from Angulo in the mid rounds trying to get his 2nd wind?  

Last edited:
@stevemaxboxing: Rumors abound in the #boxing business of a serious rift between Oscar De La Hoya and Richard Schaefer at Golden Boy...

Wouldn't be surprised. Oscar is just the figurehead at this point, Richard does all the heavy lifting.

Really don't understand why GBP & Floyd aren't gonna promote this fight more. There was only one press conference set up, and Maidana wasn't even there. It's easier to sell than Guerrero, which was supposedly a flop, never heard official numbers. Here you have a unification fight, against a fan friendly fighter, coming off his biggest win, and he actually EARNED it. Unless they put on an A+ undercard, not sure they break a million buys.

who else is left for a "big" fight?

Hopefully Bradley can beat Pac and one extra fight then sign with GB (think hehas 2 more fights with TR)
I can see that being a big fight with both undefeated records and Bradley actually has amazing talent that can go up against Mayweather

What part of styles make fights don't some of you guys get? That wasn't even remotely same Angulo that fought Lara. He didn't fight the same way. Even a novice boxing fan should have peeped that. Again, Canelo is not a pressure fighter so I wouldn't be worried about him walking Lara down like Angulo did. You also mentioned that Lara would run all night. You mean like Canelo moved and ran from Floyd or Trout? Or like he was moving away from Angulo in the mid rounds trying to get his 2nd wind?  
Of course Angulo didn't fight Canelo the same way he fought Lara because Canelo punches were hard thudding shots that discouraged him and Canelo put in effective body work that weakened Angulo. Canelo set the tone of the fight after the first round. I remeber Virgil asking Angulo if those punches hurt and his response was a little. I have been around boxing for quite a while and when a fighter tells his corner man that the punches he is getting hit with hurt a little in actually they hurt a lot more than he is letting on. I basically believe once he said that a certain part of Angulo quit. I believe Canelo took his will to win after the first round and to a certain extent Angulo was in survival mode for the rest of the fight. I have been in the ring plenty of times and when you are competing against someone who can physically hurt you you a fight a lot more hesitant and you yourself are afraid to commit because you fear leaving yourself open. In the Lara fight yes Angulo was getting tagged but Lara did not put fear in him of getting KO. That is he reason as to why he fought two different fights

Of course Angulo didn't fight Canelo the same way he fought Lara because Canelo punches were hard thudding shots that discouraged him and Canelo put in effective body work that weakened Angulo. Canelo set the tone of the fight after the first round. I remeber Virgil asking Angulo if those punches hurt and his response was a little. I have been around boxing for quite a while and when a fighter tells his corner man that the punches he is getting hit with hurt a little in actually they hurt a lot more than he is letting on. I basically believe once he said that a certain part of Angulo quit. I believe Canelo took his will to win after the first round and to a certain extent Angulo was in survival mode for the rest of the fight. I have been in the ring plenty of times and when you are competing against someone who can physically hurt you you a fight a lot more hesitant and you yourself are afraid to commit because you fear leaving yourself open. In the Lara fight yes Angulo was getting tagged but Lara did not put fear in him of getting KO. That is he reason as to why he fought two different fights
Angulo never showed up to fight. He's done. Just way to many wars. He wasn't the same fighter from the jump. He was pawing with useless jabs trying to box from the outset. That's not Angulo's game. Even though the punches hurt, he was getting hit with flush power shots yet still coming forward the entire fight so I don't buy the fear angle. He didn't fear anything he's just done.

Last edited:
Weekend wrap up.

A roundup of the past week's notable boxing results from around the world:

Saturday at Las Vegas
Canelo Alvarez TKO10 Alfredo Angulo
Junior middleweight
Records: Alvarez (43-1-1, 31 KOs); Angulo (22-4, 18 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: Talk about the difference one fight can make, as well as how important the fine art of matchmaking is to a fighter's career. In September, Alvarez, 23, of Mexico, was an undefeated junior middleweight champion when he faced pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. in a unification fight that went down as the richest fight in boxing history. It was a massive event, but Alvarez looked horrible in the fight. To most, he lost virtually every second of every round. He was befuddled by Mayweather's brilliant skills, speed and defense and unable to do a thing. Stylewise, it was a terrible match for Alvarez, but it was worth the risk because he made so many millions.

As Mexico's most popular active fighter -- meaning there are still many, many millions for everyone involved in his career to make -- it was important to bring him back against the right opponent. That's where Angulo, 31, of Mexico, comes in. He's been a top contender in the division for several years, but he's extremely one-dimensional. He is a brawler with good power and a fan-friendly style, but his defense is nonexistent, he's very slow and he gets hit with basically everything. He was the perfect opponent for Alvarez to rebuild himself against because Alvarez was a big favorite to win but the match also figured to have a lot of action. Bingo. That's exactly what we got as a sold-out crowd of 14,610 -- mostly Mexicans -- cheered wildly throughout the fight. It was, however, an absolutely one-sided beatdown.

Troubled by making weight, on the morning of the weigh-in, Alvarez had to negotiate a change in the contract from 154 pounds to 155, pay Angulo an extra $100,000 and agree to a 3 p.m. PT weight check on the day of the fight at which Alvarez was not permitted to weigh more than 168 pounds. That led some to believe that Alvarez might not be at his best. But he sure looked as if he was. He landed a left hook seconds into the fight and hurt Angulo. It set the tone for an avalanche of clean punches that he connected with. Alvarez had a huge first round. He simply could not miss. That's how most of the fight went, with Alvarez smashing Angulo with hard shots to the head and body with both hands while Angulo stood right in front of him, ate the leather and then maybe landed a couple of shots here or there. What was alarming is that Angulo, usually a powerful puncher, looked as if he had nothing on his shots.

Angulo was also trying to rebound from a loss. He had suffered a left eye injury and retired in the 10th round of an interim title fight with Erislandy Lara in June. By the fifth round against Alvarez, the same eye was beginning to swell. Angulo's best moments came in the action-packed eighth round. Alvarez might have been trying to take a little bit of a breather that round, and Angulo took advantage as he finally found the range on his punches, put some combinations together and banged it out with Alvarez in a fantastic toe-to-toe round that had the crowd going nuts. That might have been the only round Angulo deserved to win. After that, Alvarez continued to dole out punishment. After the ninth round, in which Angulo took numerous clean head shots, referee Tony Weeks and the ringside doctor looked into Angulo's corner, then had a talk with each other. It was clear the end was near.

When Alvarez ripped Angulo with a left uppercut, Weeks did exactly the right thing and stopped the bout 47 seconds into the round. Some complained about the stoppage, but Angulo had had his head handed to him for nine-plus rounds and had taken tremendous punishment and dozens of clean head shots. There was no reason for the fight to continue, and Angulo had been told by trainer Virgil Hunter after the ninth round that he wasn't going to let him take much more punishment. In a noncompetitive fight in which one man was being destroyed, it was a textbook stoppage, one that Weeks -- one of the top few referees in the world -- should be proud of. Angulo, and even Hunter, were upset with the stoppage, but they should thank Weeks. Angulo can fight another day.

For Alvarez, it was a critical win, one that puts him back in position for another title opportunity and to continue making big fights. Which fighter he will face next is not clear -- although Lara crashed his postfight news conference to demand a fight (much to the indifference of most) -- but, if he and Golden Boy stick to the schedule they laid out several months ago, he is supposed to headline another Showtime PPV card on July 26.

Leo Santa Cruz W12 Cristian Mijares
Retains a junior featherweight title
Scores: 120-108 (twice), 119-109
Records: Santa Cruz (27-0-1, 15 KOs); Mijares (48-8-2, 22 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: Santa Cruz, 25, just keeps rolling along. He is one of boxing's most crowd-pleasing fighters, a volume puncher who has the stamina of the Energizer Bunny; he threw 112 punches in the final round! Simply, he wears opponents down, which is what he did against outgunned, smaller and older Mijares, a longtime top fighter and former two-time junior bantamweight titleholder.

Santa Cruz, born in Mexico and living in Los Angeles, has been near the top of boxing since winning a bantamweight world title in 2012. Santa Cruz defended the belt three times, then moved up to junior featherweight, where he won a title this past August and was making his second defense by facing Mijares, a 32-year-old southpaw from Mexico. When Mijares was junior bantamweight champion in 2007, he was a fighter the young Santa Cruz admired and looked up to. Years later, it was Santa Cruz administering a beating to him in a one-side rout.

Santa Cruz took it right to Mijares in the opening round and never let up, nailing him with a two-fisted attack that made it clear Mijares was going to need a miracle to win. The only adversity Santa Cruz faced came in the fourth round, when an accidental head-butt opened a cut over Santa Cruz's right eye. Although a little blood trickled into his eye, Santa Cruz's corner did an excellent job of controlling the bleeding between rounds.

Mijares showed a big heart (and good chin) to make it the distance, but he was a thoroughly beaten man, seeing his modest two-fight winning streak come to an end after a split decision loss to Victor Terrazas for a vacant title in April 2013. Santa Cruz then knocked out Terrazas to take the belt.

As usual, Santa Cruz had the CompuBox punch counters very busy, landing 371 of 1,043 blows (36 percent) while Mijares connected on just 132 of 574 punches (23 percent).

A big fight for Santa Cruz could be coming later this year. Northern Ireland's Carl Frampton faces Mexico's Hugo Cazares on April 4 in an elimination fight for the right to become Santa Cruz's mandatory challenger. Santa Cruz-Frampton is a fight many are already talking about, and both fighters are calling each other out. That could be a great one if it comes.

Jorge Linares W10 Nihito Arakawa
Lightweight
Scores: 100-90 (twice), 98-92
Records: Linares (36-3, 23 KOs); Arakawa (24-4-1, 16 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: Linares, 28, who is from Venezuela and lives in Japan, is a former junior lightweight and featherweight titlist with superb all-around skills. The one knock on him is his fragility. He has a poor chin and cuts easily. When he has faced adversity, he has fallen apart in his three defeats. But the talent is so obvious, and he looked good against Arakawa, 32, of Japan, in this elimination bout that moved Linares a step closer to a mandatory title shot against Omar Figueroa, who outslugged Arakawa last summer in an epic fight to win a vacant interim belt.

That was the fight in which Arakawa made his reputation, even in a loss, and is why he was invited back to the United States to appear in this notable bout on a big card. As he did against Figueroa, Arakawa never stopped trying to win. He just does not have the talent or hand speed of Linares, who won despite hurting his right hand in the fourth round and relying primarily on his left for the rest of the fight. Even with one hand, he had no trouble finding Arakawa, connecting on 276 of 576 punches (48 percent), according to CompuBox. Arakawa, meanwhile, had less pop in his shots and landed 131 of 621 (21 percent). Arakawa began to swell Linares' left eye in the third round but was still losing round after round. He opened a cut over Linares' right eye in the eighth round, but Linares was able to deal with the cut while also opening a nasty one over Arakawa's right eye in the ninth round. Arakawa was desperate in the final round and forced Linares into a firefight as blood covered both of their faces. This was a highly entertaining, albeit one-sided fight. A solid win for Linares, who likely will get that title opportunity before too long.

Sergio Thompson W10 Ricardo Alvarez
Lightweight
Scores: 97-91, 95-93 (twice)
Records: Thompson (29-3, 26 KOs); Alvarez (23-3-3, 13 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: Alvarez, headliner Canelo Alvarez's 32-year-old older brother, originally was scheduled to challenge lightweight titlist Omar Figueroa on this card. But when Figueroa dropped out of the bout because of a left hand injury a week before the fight, Golden Boy Promotions went looking for a replacement opponent so Alvarez could remain on the card. It came up with a good one in Thompson, Alvarez's Mexican countryman, who took the bout on short notice. Thompson was not just some warm body who accepted the bout. He has been a quality junior lightweight contender for the past few years, and his only defeat since 2010 was a competitive decision in Japan when he challenged 130-pound world titlist Takashi Miura this past August.

Thompson, 30, has now won two fights in a row since then thanks to this excellent performance against Alvarez, who showed a lot of heart just to survive the opening round. The 95-93 scorecards were quite generous for Alvarez. Thompson nearly knocked Alvarez out with a bruising attack in the opening minute of the fight. He rocked Alvarez repeatedly with clean shots through the early rounds. He dropped Alvarez in the third round -- he went staggering into the ropes, which held him up -- from a left jab. Thompson notched a second knockdown in the eighth round when he clipped Alvarez with a straight right hand.

Alvarez had sporadic moments of offensive success, but this fight was all Thompson, who is a crowd-pleasing fighter, is extremely tough and has good power. Another title shot, at lightweight or junior lightweight, is a good possibility.

Saturday at Nogales, Mexico
Jorge Arce TKO5 Aldimar Silva Santos
Featherweight
Records: Arce (63-7-2, 48 KOs); Silva Santos (19-8, 10 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: If Arce is fighting, you know that, regardless of the outcome, you are going to see action. That has been what Arce has brought to the ring throughout his 18-year career as one of boxing's purest warriors. Although Arce, 34, of Mexico, is far past his best days, he still brings excitement, which is just what he did against Silva Santos, 32, of Brazil. He was the perfect kind of opponent for Arce in that he is tough and will try but is not likely to win as Silva Santos lost his third fight in a row and fifth of his past six.

For Arce, this was another notch on the comeback trail that he hopes will land him a shot at a featherweight world title. Arce, who has won world titles in four weight classes and an interim belt in a fifth, retired in December 2012 after getting crushed in three rounds by then-junior featherweight titleholder Nonito Donaire. However, Arce's retirement lasted only 11 months. He returned in November for a knockout win, and this was his second fight since coming out of retirement.

Silva Santos was made to order. He stood in front of Arce in a toe-to-toe battle, but Arce was too strong for him. Arce worked him over to the head and body in the first couple of rounds to establish control and then, 15 seconds into the third round, nailed him with a long overhand right to the head that dropped him to his rear end. Silva Santos got up immediately, and they continued to exchange punches in a rumble that had the crowd loving it. In the fifth round, Arce landed a clean left hook that again dropped Silva Santos to his backside. Arce was all over him when the fight resumed, prompting referee Juan Jose Ramirez to intervene 41 seconds into the round.

Friday at Pala, Calif.
Rustam Nugaev TKO4 Marvin Quintero
Welterweight
Records: Nugaev (27-6-1, 17 KOs); Quintero (25-5, 21 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: The "Friday Night Fights" main event nearly didn't come off because Quintero, 26, of Mexico, was hung up because of visa issues and did not arrive at the site of the fight until Friday. Originally a lightweight bout, it became a fight with maximum weight of 144 pounds and the fighters did not weigh in until Quintero arrived on fight day. Quintero was 142, and Nugaev was 143.

Nugaev, 31, a Russia native based in Los Angeles, is a rugged fighter who is generally in crowd-pleasing fights. He is on the verge of a possible title shot in the lightweight division. Winning his sixth bout in a row, especially against a solid opponent such as Quintero, certainly helped his cause. Quintero had not fought since October 2012, when he lost a decision challenging lightweight titlist Miguel Vazquez.

Nugaev and Quintero made for an interesting fight with a lot of give and take. Quintero, a southpaw, was quicker with his hands, but Nugaev was all about pressure and was landing the heavier shots, including with a strong body attack. It was a competitive fight, but Quintero injured his left hand just as the fourth round was ending. He landed a punch to Nugaev's forehead, immediately winced in pain and turned away from Nugaev as the bell rang. Referee Pat Russell then stopped the fight in Quintero's corner on advice of the ringside doctor.

Roman Morales W8 Khabir Suleymanov
Bantamweight
Scores: 80-67, 79-68 (twice)
Records: Morales (18-0, 9 KOs); Suleymanov (16-4, 6 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: Morales, 25, of San Ardo, Calif., kept his record perfect with a very impressive, one-sided performance against Suleymanov, a 33-year-old Russian based in Woodland Hills, Calif. They duked it out all the way in an entertaining fight, but Morales was the boss. He dropped Suleymanov five times in the lopsided decision victory. He sent Suleymanov to the canvas twice in the second round, once in the fifth round and twice more in the eighth round, making the outcome very obvious. But Suleymanov, who suffered cuts around both eyes, was as game as they come. He kept getting up, kept trying to win, but Morales, who was cut on his right cheek, outclassed him.

Dusty Hernandez-Harrison W6 Michael Balasi
Welterweight
Scores: 60-53, 59-54 (twice)
Records: Hernandez-Harrison (21-0, 11 KOs); Balasi (10-4, 7 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: Hernandez-Harrison, a 19-year-old prospect from Washington, D.C., and a huge favorite, did not have an easy time with Balasi even though it was a blowout on the scorecards. Hernandez-Harrison dropped Balasi with a three-punch combination punctuated by a left hook in the second round, but Balasi did not seem hurt as it was not a hard knockdown. But later in the round, Balasi returned the favor by sending Hernandez-Harrison to the canvas with a hard left hook of his own. Hernandez-Harrison overcame the difficult moment, employing his far superior boxing skills to outpoint Balasi, as well as knocking him down for a second time in the fifth round. Balasi, 33, of Hawaii, lost his third fight in a row.

Canelo dismisses Lara challenge.

It’s one of the oldest tricks in the book for a desperate boxer looking to land a big fight: Go to the star’s press conference and call him out. Demand that he fight you. Sometimes it even works.

It did for Antonio Tarver years ago when he made a scene at the press conference after Roy Jones Jr. had just beaten John Ruiz to win a heavyweight world title.

In his next fight, Jones returned to light heavyweight and gave Tarver a shot, outpointing him in a championship fight that turned out to be the first bout of their trilogy (which Tarver won 2-1).

ESPN.com Boxing on Twitter
Don't miss any of our wall-to-wall boxing coverage, including live analysis of Saturday's fights. Join »

The latest to pull the stunt was Houston’s Erislandy Lara, the skillful Cuban defector who crashed Canelo Alvarez’s post-fight news conference following his dominant 10th-round knockout of Alfredo Angulo on Saturday night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Lara, a southpaw, has been looking for a major fight. He was upset that even though he survived two knockdowns and stopped Angulo in the 10th round to win a vacant interim junior middleweight title in June that it was Angulo who got the money fight with Alvarez instead of him.

Lara (19-1-2, 12 KOs), who, like Alvarez, is promoted by Golden Boy, took to the podium at the press conference and, with Alvarez standing right next to him, said, “Everyone wants to see the fight. When can you and I fight?”

It was only Lara’s latest attempt to lure Alvarez (43-1-1, 31 KOs) into facing him. Calm and cool, the Mexican star didn’t miss a beat.

“Everyone wants to see it? Who wants to see the fight,” Alvarez asked the crowd inside the media center at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

One person raised his hand – Luis DeCubas Jr., Lara’s manager.

“Isn’t that that your manager,” Alvarez asked Lara in a mocking fashion that drew laughter from the crowd. “This is not how you make fights, so you’ll have to wait.”

Alvarez is due back in the ring on July 26, according to the plan Golden Boy chief executive Richard Schaefer laid out a few months ago calling for Alvarez to have three Showtime PPV fights in 2014.

Alvarez does not have an opponent, so Lara conceivably could get his wish, although there will be other candidates for Alvarez to pick from.

Lara, meanwhile, will have other business to attend to first. Schaefer said Lara is likely to defend his belt in Las Vegas on May 2 – on the eve of Floyd Mayweather’s welterweight unification fight with Marcos Maidana – against former titlist Ishe Smith of Las Vegas.

Smith (25-6, 11 KOs), thanks to being promoted by Mayweather, would be getting the interim title bout despite coming off losing his world title to Carlos Molina in September on the Mayweather-Alvarez undercard.

Welp just got word today that Canelo will not be fighting Lara at 154. Kid is to damn lazy to make the weight so he's going up to 160. If Lara wants the fight, he's going to have to go up to 160 and give Cinnamon his left nut. Canelo is such a *****.

Doesn't GB only have like Quillin at MW?

GGG and Sergio are the interesting fights but let's see if he takes em.

Back
Top Bottom