Police Kill Unarmed Teen In Ferguson, Missouri

ShordeeDooWhop @Nettaaaaaaaa  ·  7h 7 hours ago
Devin James the Ferguson PR guy is on @stlpublicradio right now.

Argus Streaming News @argusnewsnow  ·  7h 7 hours ago

As a representative of the City of #Ferguson he confirmed that residents have been notified to create Evac plan or prep to hunker down.
mean.gif
  At this point i just want the grand jury to hurry up and let dude go so the the feds can move on w/ the real case instead of this sham

Look at this scumbag ***** :smh:

I keep telling yaw he ain't getting charged
Susan M Nichols
Here's a thought. Don't raise your kids to be thugs. #Ferguson

This one is terrible.. i would say

RT.. dont raise your kids to be school/movie theather shooting prospects
Susan M Nichols
Here's a thought. Don't raise your kids to be thugs. #Ferguson

This one is terrible.. i would say

RT.. dont raise your kids to be school/movie theather shooting prospects

This was one of the realeast most realeast thing I heard in awhile but its point on to what is going on with our society..... I mean, what he said made me fold and shocked me and I just paused.. Man I just hope all whites dont think they way susan do or whoever posted that thug thing

See the thing is certain people keep us separated, media gov, certain people of races. Nobody is better then anybody and once we relieze this we will become better as human beings.

I mean somebody can say yea were thugs and kill each other but atleast we dont rape babies and children.. I mean come on, we all have faults. I just wish for us to come to an understanding and stop this stupid stuff. But some people are just ignorant and dont speak as a whole

Last edited:
Crazy how stupid people think they can just post their stupid thoughts and nothing is going to happen.

I'm glad they are so stupid, one less ******* cop on the force. Just like all the idiots who go on social media advertsing their latest exploits. From criminals, to unfit parents and more. Let them keep it up.

Don't get me wrong, I believe DW should be prosecuted to the fullest extent.  That much is obvious.  But let's be real, if it happens, how are the majority of black people going to respond?  Are we going to go back to sleep thinking it's all dandy until the next one gets chipped by a cop?  I'd like to think that we  would still realize the gravity of our situation but the track record doesn't indicate that kind of response. 

Black people right now are in a state of psychosis; many of us see the chaos and strange behavior around us and accept it as normal. Not all, but most of us.  And this 'most of us' is asleep because sleeping is easier than facing the truth, if we can see it at all.  Sometimes it takes a serious shock to the system for a wake up call.  IJS

What can people do though? The Ferguson protests had A LOT behind it. Social media. People out there in the trenches. People letting their voice be heard for the mayor, senators, etc. to hear. If that doesn't work, what will? Kinda pains me to even imagine what's gonna happen next. Darren Wilson is gonna be deemed innocent. Police is going to be told to end the protests, they're going to WIPE them out, and the media is going to paint those people as savages that were rioting in response to the verdict. The same people outraged now are going to be outraged. The same people that think Brown was a thug that deserved it are going to agree with what the cops did. Those happen to be a majority in America AND the people in positions of power. Nothing changes. :smh:

Hmm wonder what the go to deflection will be now that video is out and that cop clearly isn't Black.

"Black cop shot a white kid in SLC and nobody cares. Reverse racism!!!" :rolleyes

Hmm wonder what the go to deflection will be now that video is out and that cop clearly isn't Black.

"Black cop shot a white kid in SLC and nobody cares. Reverse racism!!!" :rolleyes
Who cares of the cop isn't black and the kid is white. This stuff goes why beyond a racism thing

Who cares of the cop isn't black and the kid is white. This stuff goes why beyond a racism thing

Black people have to focus on fixing the way cops treat us before we start fighting other peoples battles.

"Black cop shot a white kid in SLC and nobody cares. Reverse racism!!!"
eyes.gif
I agree with this but lets not act like racism isn't a major factor when it comes to law enforcement.  

Black people have to focus on fixing the way cops treat us before we start fighting other peoples battles.

Kinda agree, kinda don't.

Reminds me of Malcolm's words about "sincere white people".

Kinda agree, kinda don't.

Reminds me of Malcolm's words about "sincere white people".

I know it sounds pretty cold but in the past Black people have helped other minorities/people problems (Civil Rights Movement/Womens rights) and when its time to return the favor other minorities don't step up.

Kinda pains me to even imagine what's gonna happen next. Darren Wilson is gonna be deemed innocent. Police is going to be told to end the protests, they're going to WIPE them out, and the media is going to paint those people as savages that were rioting in response to the verdict. The same people outraged now are going to be outraged. The same people that think Brown was a thug that deserved it are going to agree with what the cops did. Those happen to be a majority in America AND the people in positions of power. Nothing changes.
mean.gif

I agree with this but lets not act like racism isn't a major factor when it comes to law enforcement.  
I agree there is of course racism. But I believe its more into inner city stereotypes.
Asked to identify the age of a young boy that committed a felony, participants in a study routinely overestimated the age of black children far more than they did white kids. Worse: Cops did it, too.

The study, published  in the  Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, aimed at figuring out the extent to which black children were likely to be treated differently than their white peers solely based on race. More specifically, the authors wanted to figure out the extent to which black kids were dehumanized. "Children in most societies are considered to be in a distinct group with characteristics such as innocence and the need for protection," author Phillip Atiba Goff of UCLA  told  the American Psychological Association. "Our research found that black boys can be seen as responsible for their actions at an age when white boys still benefit from the assumption that children are essentially innocent."

The researchers ran four different experiments aimed at gauging how people perceived criminal acts (both misdemeanors and felonies) depending on if the boy that committed it was black or white. Participants took a series of tests gauging racial attitudes and subtle associations. One test "primed" participants by flashing the names of either great cats, like lions, or apes. Two groups of people were interviewed, college-aged students and police officers. The group of police officers were evaluated on another metric: their on-the-job record of use of force against criminal suspects.

34d69f2e7.png

We'll start with that last bit of data. The graph at right shows the number of use of force incidents by officers in the study (though a small majority of officers had never used force). "[T]he implicit dehumanization of Blacks," the study's authors write, "was a significant predictor of racial disparities in the use of force against children" — though they're clear to note that it is "plausible that negative interactions with Black children disproportionately produce implicit anti-Black dehumanization."

The correlation between dehumanization and use of force becomes more significant when you consider that black boys are routinely estimated to be older than they are. The two graphs show the age estimates for the college students, left, and police participants in the study.

ab20f4abe.jpg

The general population respondents overestimated the boys' ages in felony situations by 4.53 years, meaning that "boys would be misperceived as legal adults at roughly the age of 13 and a half." The police had a slightly wider spread: 4.59 years. The college students were also less likely to judge black boys innocent in the presented scenarios once they were 10 years of age of older. At every age level after 10, black boys were considered less innocent than either white or unspecified children.

6c9aae775.png

Priming the officers with different associations produced different results in their age guesses. The researchers used the apes / great cats priming before running one set of experiments. When police officers were primed with either cats or apes, the graph at right resulted. When the officers were primed with names of apes, the officers were even more likely to overestimate the age of the black boys involved in the situation. But when the situation involved a white boy, the ape priming lowered  the age estimate in the case of felonies. 

The less the black kids were seen as human, the less they were granted "the assumption that children are essentially innocent." And those officers who were more likely to dehumanize black suspects overlapped with those who used more force against them.

In 2012, data from the Department of Education  revealed  that black students were far more likely than white students to face harsh discipline following infractions at school than student of other races. That sort of uneven system of discipline  prompted the Obama administration  to call for zero-tolerance policies to be dropped. If this study is any guide — and it's only one study, of course — the tendency to give white kids the presumption of innocence and youth that isn't afforded to black students might be one of the reasons for that discrepancy.
Link
For centuries, society has grappled with both implicit and explicit examples of racism that have played out in many different areas, including legislation and the criminal justice system. But now scientists may be able to provide more insight as to why this may be the case.

A recent study examining racial disparities  reveals that people are more empathetic towards whites than towards blacks, particularly when related to medical treatment or pain. The discovery, known as the racial empathy gap, shows that people, including medical personnel, assume black people feel less pain than white people and helps explain disparities in areas from health care to criminal justice.

The findings come just several months after a  study published in a March issue of the American Journal of Public Health  reported researchers found that two-thirds of doctors harbored "unconscious" racial biases toward patients.

The racial empathy gap serves as an explanation for these "unconscious" racial biases, as assumptions about what it means to be black-- as it pertains to privilege and adversity--  could, in fact, be the reason behind the findings.

HuffPost Live host, Marc Lamont Hill, hosted a conversation about the study, discussing the possible reasons behind why people think black people feel less pain and how it affects society as a whole.
Link

View media item 1205455

Asked to identify the age of a young boy that committed a felony, participants in a study routinely overestimated the age of black children far more than they did white kids. Worse: Cops did it, too.
The study, published
 in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology,aimed at figuring out the extent to which black children were likely to be treated differently than their white peers solely based on race. More specifically, the authors wanted to figure out the extent to which black kids were dehumanized. "Children in most societies are considered to be in a distinct group with characteristics such as innocence and the need for protection," author Phillip Atiba Goff of UCLA told
 the American Psychological Association. "Our research found that black boys can be seen as responsible for their actions at an age when white boys still benefit from the assumption that children are essentially innocent."

The researchers ran four different experiments aimed at gauging how people perceived criminal acts (both misdemeanors and felonies) depending on if the boy that committed it was black or white. Participants took a series of tests gauging racial attitudes and subtle associations. One test "primed" participants by flashing the names of either great cats, like lions, or apes. Two groups of people were interviewed, college-aged students and police officers. The group of police officers were evaluated on another metric: their on-the-job record of use of force against criminal suspects.

34d69f2e7.png

We'll start with that last bit of data. The graph at right shows the number of use of force incidents by officers in the study (though a small majority of officers had never used force). "[T]he implicit dehumanization of Blacks," the study's authors write, "was a significant predictor of racial disparities in the use of force against children" — though they're clear to note that it is "plausible that negative interactions with Black children disproportionately produce implicit anti-Black dehumanization."
The correlation between dehumanization and use of force becomes more significant when you consider that black boys are routinely estimated to be older than they are. The two graphs show the age estimates for the college students, left, and police participants in the study.

ab20f4abe.jpg

The general population respondents overestimated the boys' ages in felony situations by 4.53 years, meaning that "boys would be misperceived as legal adults at roughly the age of 13 and a half." The police had a slightly wider spread: 4.59 years. The college students were also less likely to judge black boys innocent in the presented scenarios once they were 10 years of age of older. At every age level after 10, black boys were considered less innocent than either white or unspecified children.

6c9aae775.png

Priming the officers with different associations produced different results in their age guesses. The researchers used the apes / great cats priming before running one set of experiments. When police officers were primed with either cats or apes, the graph at right resulted. When the officers were primed with names of apes, the officers were even more likely to overestimate the age of the black boys involved in the situation. But when the situation involved a white boy, the ape priming lowered the age estimate in the case of felonies. 
The less the black kids were seen as human, the less they were granted "the assumption that children are essentially innocent." And those officers who were more likely to dehumanize black suspects overlapped with those who used more force against them.
In 2012, data from the Department of Education revealed
 that black students were far more likely than white students to face harsh discipline following infractions at school than student of other races. That sort of uneven system of discipline prompted the Obama administration
 to call for zero-tolerance policies to be dropped. If this study is any guide — and it's only one study, of course — the tendency to give white kids the presumption of innocence and youth that isn't afforded to black students might be one of the reasons for that discrepancy.

Link

View media item 1205474

For centuries, society has grappled with both implicit and explicit examples of racism that have played out in many different areas, including legislation and the criminal justice system. But now scientists may be able to provide more insight as to why this may be the case.

A recent study examining racial disparities
 reveals that people are more empathetic towards whites than towards blacks, particularly when related to medical treatment or pain. The discovery, known as the racial empathy gap, shows that people, including medical personnel, assume black people feel less pain than white people and helps explain disparities in areas from health care to criminal justice.

The findings come just several months after a study published in a March issue of the American Journal of Public Health

reported researchers found that two-thirds of doctors harbored "unconscious" racial biases toward patients.

The racial empathy gap serves as an explanation for these "unconscious" racial biases, as assumptions about what it means to be black-- as it pertains to privilege and adversity-- could, in fact, be the reason behind the findings

HuffPost Live host, Marc Lamont Hill, hosted a conversation about the study, discussing the possible reasons behind why people think black people feel less pain and how it affects society as a whole.

Link
seeing a 13 year old as an 18 year old??

:x :x

:stoneface: :stoneface:

What can people do though? The Ferguson protests had A LOT behind it. Social media. People out there in the trenches. People letting their voice be heard for the mayor, senators, etc. to hear. If that doesn't work, what will? Kinda pains me to even imagine what's gonna happen next. Darren Wilson is gonna be deemed innocent. Police is going to be told to end the protests, they're going to WIPE them out, and the media is going to paint those people as savages that were rioting in response to the verdict. The same people outraged now are going to be outraged. The same people that think Brown was a thug that deserved it are going to agree with what the cops did. Those happen to be a majority in America AND the people in positions of power. Nothing changes. :smh:

Now short term resolutions that I can think of other than getting better govt officials elected to prevent this from reoccurring

was this supposed to be the black dude that killed a white dude?

Yep this was that story all those right wing blogs were pushing after Mike Browns death claiming a black cop killed a white kid. :smh: But we're the race baiters.

Back
Top Bottom