\\ Post Your Car vol. Been a minute //

The Focus RS and VW Golf R are both front-wheel drive based AWD, meaning most of the time, the car is operating as FWD. It's only when the front wheels lose traction does the power get sent to the rear wheels. The STI is symmetrical AWD, so power is sent to all wheels at all times. This will cause the STI to have worse MPG, but better performance. Also, the STI has front, rear, and center differentials, while the Golf R and RS have open diffs. While the Golf R has a way nicer interior and the RS has more power, I think the STI is a much better value. 

Last edited:
The Focus RS and VW Golf R are both front-wheel drive based AWD, meaning most of the time, the car is operating as FWD. It's only when the front wheels lose traction does the power get sent to the rear wheels. The STI is symmetrical AWD, so power is sent to all wheels at all times. This will cause the STI to have worse MPG, but better performance. Also, the STI has front, rear, and center differentials, while the Golf R and RS have open diffs. While the Golf R has a way nicer interior and the RS has more power, I think the STI is a much better value. 

I dont think the rs drives in fwd most of the time.

Ford had the option to make it like that where it disconnects the rear wheels which contributes to greater fuel economy and stuff but because ford wanted this to be a "racecar" they avoided that so the rear wheels are always conencted and the power between front and back is adjusted based on driving conditions.

But you do know cars with full-time AWD have more drivetrain loss, making FWD cars faster in the straights. Not saying it's better than the STI, but its not a strike against it. The R will stick to the track just as good as the Subie and be able to send 50% of traction to the rear when needed. The RS is said to be able to send 100% to ONE wheel, which I'll have to believe it when I see it. The STI does have the leg up with the center diff and be able to control the front to rear bias.

That sounds like fake AWD as well

And that's torque vectoring, which STI has had for YEARS. 
We didnt say the sti didnt have it :lol:

Its not necessarily fake awd.

All wheels are able to get power which is what awd is.

Its an adjustable amount of power tho.

Ill wait till i see track times. Somethings sound good on paper but putting the physics to the pavement is another story

But you do know cars with full-time AWD have more drivetrain loss, making FWD cars faster in the straights. Not saying it's better than the STI, but its not a strike against it. The R will stick to the track just as good as the Subie and be able to send 50% of traction to the rear when needed. The RS is said to be able to send 100% to ONE wheel, which I'll have to believe it when I see it. The STI does have the leg up with the center diff and be able to control the front to rear bias.

The rs cant send 100% to one wheel in the rear.

Its 70% to the rear and from that 70% all 100% of it can be sent to one wheel using torque vectoring to help cornering.
And its not like its going to give 100% of that 70 the that wheel forever its just as u need it then it automatically adjusts back to whatever power the other needs to maximize speed

http://jalopnik.com/yes-you-can-smoke-all-four-tires-on-the-2016-ford-focus-1684043045

Oh look, understeer at its finest. :x  

Fake AWD :smh:  
back to the Subaru drawing boards, Ford.

Drifting is understeer? :lol:

Look at my above post its not fake awd. All 4 whees are connected to the driveline and can receive varying amounts of power at any time

I dont think the rs drives in fwd most of the time.

Ford had the option to make it like that where it disconnects the rear wheels which contributes to greater fuel economy and stuff but because ford wanted this to be a "racecar" they avoided that so the rear wheels are always conencted and the power between front and back is adjusted based on driving conditions.

i think the RS will be a better value than the golf R, tho older r32s are probably a great buy now if u can find a used one thats more or less clean. i am interested to see what ford describes their AWD as, I know subarus are 50:50 front rear bias in a manual transmission. the only other AWD that is comparable from what i read is quattro...but isn't that what the R uses?

The standard starlink system has got to be the worst in dash unit ever in automotive history.

If you're focusing on a stock stereo system in a WRX, you're clearly misguided on why you should purchase this car.

WRX is for the driving exp. but they aren't the cheapest car in the world, and for the money i'd say we deserve a bit more bang for the buck interior wise.

the sound system is one of those things subaru shouldn't be cheap with for the money. ford gives you a sound system tuned by sony (pretty sure) for WRX money on the ST...at the bare minimum. nissan, mazada to name a couple give you Bose systems on all their cars.

subaru just started offering harmon kardon i think, on their top trim only :smh:. that is some bs.

as for starlink...unless its a Tesla, i'd wager all car dash systems are trash. i've ranted about this issue previously in this thread. the dash systems are highway robbery, and are starting to get killed off by google and android. and that process will take time until companies start giving us actual capacitive responsive screens like what we've had on cell phones for years, and processing power to match. apple and google will only get better with their car systems so in the end who cars about starlink.

as long as the radio works and the rear view camera works (which should've been in the center dash from the get go not some top corner next to the clock, thanks subaru), we good. android auto FTW

I've been into STI/Evo's since I was 16 :lol:
I never researched or went into depth on them since I never owned one. And i find it REALLY corny when people seem to know and read all about these cars they don't even own. 

Be happy:smile:
Being angry causes high blood pressure.

Fair enough.

You my guy still. :lol:

The new Civic Type R is FWD and does work around the track.

Ill wait till i see track times. Somethings sound good on paper but putting the physics to the pavement is another story

THIS. Im just gonna wait till we have these all in the States so I can watch them battle it out on the track & strip. All this armchair racing is pointless.

The new Civic Type R is FWD and does work around the track.

THIS. Im just gonna wait till we have these all in the States so I can watch them battle it out on the track & strip. All this armchair racing is pointless.

that civic type R is $45k tho :x

@WCIS AND @SREGGIE

Ford wants ppl to do awd donuts because they are an american company and americans like donuts

Sreggie ford made the rs so it can send up to 70% to the rear wheels which is why they can do cool drifts and stuff.

Fords awd system for the rs is similar to that of the evoque as they both partnered with gkn to make it

But the evoque can disconnect and be fwd to be ecnomical where as ford didnt like that so the rs will always have power going to all 4 wheels it wont be symmetrical all the time tho

All I'm saying is the STI is the better value. You can always add more power fairly easily, but you can't change a car's drivetrain (at least not without substantial resources), and symmetrical AWD > any other AWD system.

@WCIS AND @SREGGIE

Ford wants ppl to do awd donuts because they are an american company and americans like donuts

Sreggie ford made the rs so it can send up to 70% to the rear wheels which is why they can do cool drifts and stuff.

Fords awd system for the rs is similar to that of the evoque as they both partnered with gkn to make it

But the evoque can disconnect and be fwd to be ecnomical where as ford didnt like that so the rs will always have power going to all 4 wheels it wont be symmetrical all the time tho

interesting. i'd imagine going forward ford will be using the RS to compete with subaru on the rally circuit. ken block was consulted heavy in the development of the RS so i'd guess that car is gonna handle like a rally car should. i'd really like to test drive the RS.

and since it won't be fulltime AWD im interested in what that fuel economy will be like? i get 23 highway...maybe 24 idk. WCIS is STI so id imagine his is straight butt..18 hwy or some **** lol.a

Pls dont throw personal shots

We are discussin different awd systems no need to throw personal shots at WCIS or any other member for that matter

Whos mans is this? Who are you again?

WCIS knows im not throwing jabs like that, its all in fun. :lol:

Been throwing shots at duke like Curry in the finals. :pimp:

Last edited:

all wheels getting power would be a 4x4.

Constant power at "All" times, would be "All" Wheel Drive.

Fake AWD:stoneface:

All wheels in ur sti get power right? 
 At "All" times, yes.

Okay. And the rs can do the same thing.

So how is that fake awd?

Its just that the rs is not a perfect split as the sti symeetrical system is

And that's why it's fake AWD.

Not sure why that's hard to understand.

It's still not an STI, even though it tried so hard to be.

how is it fake? its just not symmetrical but its still awd
it never tried to be a sti
I would give Ford about 10+ years of R&D to be back where subaru was over a decade ago.

get aquainted with the ford cosworth papi
All I'm saying is the STI is the better value. You can always add more power fairly easily, but you can't change a car's drivetrain (at least not without substantial resources), and symmetrical AWD > any other AWD system.

but if the ford focus rs awd system gets u around corners faster why is symmettrical better?

im not sure if it will go around corners faster but we will see after its int he hands of the public

Back
Top Bottom