\\ Post Your Car vol. Been a minute //

That ppf invoice
my-wife-and-kids-hurt.gif
Lmao it is a lot of $ man but I want to protect my investment & not have to worry about rock chips, swirls etc... This stuff ain't cheap. I spent about 3 days shopping around for quotes. Varies by area & level of expertise. Spot in Jersey quoted me $7,000 for the PPF & $1,300 for the layer of ceramic on top so $8,300 total.

$5,400 seems to be the avg rate for a Challenger & than add the splitter, spoiler, shaker, door sills & price of ceramic because it's separate. Not even the material that's expensive it's the tedious labor. At least the loaner vehicle is free , lol.

Imagine you spring for that and get unlucky a few weeks later. Nah. Doing lots of city freeway driving I’ll take the rock chips and call it a day.
That would suck! 😢. Different needs for different people. It's not my daily & driving it on the freeway always stresses me out especially when 18 wheelers pass by & kick up stones so getting it wrapped makes sense to me. And plus detailing it will require much less time too now so there's that 👍

That’s a bit deceiving. If it’s something like a 36 month term with little to nothing down that number is reasonable

Reactions: 17
Lmao it is a lot of $ man but I want to protect my investment & not have to worry about rock chips, swirls etc... This stuff ain't cheap. I spent about 3 days shopping around for quotes. Varies by area & level of expertise. Spot in Jersey quoted me $7,000 for the PPF & $1,300 for the layer of ceramic on top so $8,300 total.

$5,400 seems to be the avg rate for a Challenger & than add the splitter, spoiler, shaker, door sills & price of ceramic because it's separate. Not even the material that's expensive it's the tedious labor. At least the loaner vehicle is free , lol.
Where did you check out in Jersey? I know Dynamic Tint is about 6500 for full PPF, seems likenyou got a reasonable deal.

5800 is about as good as it will get for full PPF. Wether or not it’s worth it is always going to be subjective.

But only if the car is done right.

I would be very concerned about cutting around the emblems, because that’s a bit lazy, and will bother you everytime you see the car. Not to mention that area will collect dirt/grime. Have them remove emblems and reapply. Even if they have to put brand new ones on. (most shops say this as a money grab, in which case you may opt to put them back on yourself. )

Also for once CA tax wins in this scenario, in CA you can’t charge tax on labor. So most PPF places just charge an out the door flat rate.

Here is an example of how a shop should do the template for emblem reapplication.

Last edited:

Ya for sure it's pricey, but if you plan to keep the car for a long time and with it being black I can see the reasoning...Won't have to worry about swirls and black paint looking awful 20 min after every wash which I'm sure is a huge plus.

I considered PPF for my car, but that total is nearly how much I paid for my car lol. I was even too cheap for a ceramic coating :lol:

Iono, if I’m paying 5800 and they ain’t removing the emblems…

Might have to look elsewhere personally, anywhere u cut the film will peel eventually

crazy they aint removing the emblems for that price..I got the XPEL done on the front clip of our Durango and they removed the emblems and reinstalled without even asking 🤷🏽‍♂️

5800 is about as good as it will get for full PPF. Wether or not it’s worth it is always going to be subjective.

I would be very concerned about cutting around the emblems, because that’s a bit lazy, and will bother you everytime you see the car. Not to mention that area will collect dirt/grime. Have them remove emblems and reapply. Even if they have to put brand new ones on. (most shops say this as a money grab, in which case you may opt to put them back on yourself. )

Also for once CA tax wins in this scenario, in CA you can’t charge tax on labor. So most PPF places just charge an out the door flat rate.

Here is an example of how a shop should do the template for emblem reapplication.

I was about to say, they'll remove the emblem to do a true seamless job on the car. When my wife has her Gallardo done, they removed the hood emblem from the recess and the film goes in that recess and they reseat the emblem on top.

That job on the Turbo S with the rear emblems? I'm sorry, but that's a little lazy IMO. Most high end (and I mean HIGH end) detail shops actually go and buy the factory jigs for the cars they do often. Those jigs are what they put on the body and then install the emblems. That way they are 100% correct and not relied on using painters tape and sharpie markings.

A place I always get ads for on YouTube is Derian Detail in Connecticut (I believe). He showed a video of a new Turbo S and they had the jig to line up the PORSCHE lettering on the back. They use it as there is a very slight curvature to the word Porsche on the back and a lot of people miss it when putting back the letters. Just seems like if they are going to charge a high dollar amount, the lettering better be factory perfect.

I was about to say, they'll remove the emblem to do a true seamless job on the car. When my wife has her Gallardo done, they removed the hood emblem from the recess and the film goes in that recess and they reseat the emblem on top.

That job on the Turbo S with the rear emblems? I'm sorry, but that's a little lazy IMO. Most high end (and I mean HIGH end) detail shops actually go and buy the factory jigs for the cars they do often. Those jigs are what they put on the body and then install the emblems. That way they are 100% correct and not relied on using painters tape and sharpie markings.

A place I always get ads for on YouTube is Derian Detail in Connecticut (I believe). He showed a video of a new Turbo S and they had the jig to line up the PORSCHE lettering on the back. They use it as there is a very slight curvature to the word Porsche on the back and a lot of people miss it when putting back the letters. Just seems like if they are going to charge a high dollar amount, the lettering better be factory perfect.

You need the jig for older cars, like my 991.2. Those templates are about 100 bucks each and not cost effective to buy for every emblem on every car, but a requirement on 991-911.2 models. The templates also add the possibility of user-error when installing. The ideal method is template + tape. On the 992 cars, the PORSCHE letters are stationary inside the taillights so it's not as huge of a deal.

That's my buddies P-car btw, PTS Azzuro Thetys. A Lamborghini color that was originally found on early aventador cars, you would def appreciate it in person. He did a satin XPEL over the factory paint.

Last edited:
That’s a bit deceiving. If it’s something like a 36 month term with little to nothing down that number is reasonable

Nothing is reasonable about paying $1500 for a CLA. Granted its a 45AMG with a hand built engine but you could be in much better whips for $1500 a month.

Time for me to learn how to change my own brake pads and stop being lazy lol… just paid $150 to change my rear pads :sick:… I’ll be Searching YouTube all weekend coming up to learn.

But love these sport ones so far, I’ll make sure to upgrade my front from the street to the sport next time as well.

Attachments

• 04323627-09BD-4130-8DE0-C4DB19FF0A9F.jpeg
    04323627-09BD-4130-8DE0-C4DB19FF0A9F.jpeg
    354.4 KB · Views: 266
Unless you are leasing, the dollar per month cost is not the number you should be concerned with. Any car will seem cheaper the longer you finance but you will end up paying thousands more in interest. All in cost is the number that matters.

You need the jig for older cars, like my 991.2. Those templates are about 100 bucks each and not cost effective to buy for every emblem on every car, but a requirement on 991-911.2 models. The templates also add the possibility of user-error when installing. The ideal method is template + tape. On the 992 cars, the PORSCHE letters are stationary inside the taillights so it's not as huge of a deal.

That's my buddies P-car btw, PTS Azzuro Thetys. A Lamborghini color that was originally found on early aventador cars, you would def appreciate it in person. He did a satin XPEL over the factory paint.

Thanks buddy. Oh I know Azzuro Theyts. It was the launch color for the Aventador Roadster back in the day. Such a beautiful shade. It's stunning. Never did buy the Autoart diecast as I loved the shade. Very similar to Azzuro California for Ferraris. 👍👍

Where did you check out in Jersey? I know Dynamic Tint is about 6500 for full PPF, seems likenyou got a reasonable deal.
This was Detailer's Domain in Norwood, NJ- too far & too much for me. Yeah I agree I got a good deal. The master detailer has over 30 years of experience in the detailing biz & his guys have been with em for like 15 years so a lot of experience in between them.

They don't rush & aren't worried about turnaround time. They prefer to work nice & slow with focus on accuracy regardless of the project which is great because last thing I need is a rushed halfass job. He was straight forward & told me to forget the car for at least 2 weeks. It would've been $5,400 for the PPF but I decided to add a few panels like the shaker, door sills, front splitter so it drove the price up a bit. Dynamic Tint is in Jersey too- that's where you went for your Tesla? How's the film holding up btw?

Thank you for mentioning about the emblems. It didn't even hit me to speak to them to remove it. But no worries, I spoke to my dude & he said it's not a problem they'll all be removed & than reapplied once the film goes on & settles. And yes it would've bothered me O.D. whenever I look at it with grime & dirt filled edges on the emblems lol. Thank you so much for all the info & input you've provided bro. It's helped a lot, ty 👍.

Ya for sure it's pricey, but if you plan to keep the car for a long time and with it being black I can see the reasoning...Won't have to worry about swirls and black paint looking awful 20 min after every wash which I'm sure is a huge plus.

I considered PPF for my car, but that total is nearly how much I paid for my car lol. I was even too cheap for a ceramic coating :lol:
It's my dream car & yeah I'm keeping it forever which is one of the biggest reasons I'm getting this done. Honestly I should've done it right as soon as I bought it in 2016 as that's the best time to do it being it was brand spankin new factory fresh single digit miles then. And yeah like you said it's black. It is the best & the worst color all at the same time :lol: I've learned that owning & detailing this car over the years.

Is that for your classic Beemer? I would do it but yeah the cost of the car vs the cost of the process lol I get it. You plan on keeping it forever? One day I was detailing & saw a f'ing rock chip next to the right side hood pin towards the front of the hood. My heart sank man she's my baby. I was so sad & pist off. Imagine spending all that $ buying it, ceramic coating it & keeping it squeaky clean only to have a rock hit it. Also have a tiny little dent on the right side door the size of a sand grain. So before this **** happens more & more on my car I want it PPF'd & not have to stress.

Also, my bro 05fordgt 05fordgt advised me to call up some exotic dealers in my area & see if they do PPF. So I called McLaren Long Island & they responded after 2 days just to tell me they don't do it. Lamborghini Long Island forwarded me to the parts dept which after 4 rings sent me to voicemail. Needless to say they never called me back.

And Lamborghini Manhattan asked me for what car & I told em Dodge Challenger & the guy responded in a smug condescending tone "this is a Lambo, Porsche & Bentley motor house. NO we do not do this stuff" :lol:. I should've asked his ***** *** what car he personally drives since he's so posh & his **** don't stink.

Back
Top Bottom