\\ Post Your Car vol. Been a minute //

Fully autonomous driving becoming the "norm" in our lifetimes is a pipedream.

I know this site is older but damn... :lol:

2040s is the timeline I've seen some experts estimate the technology could be ready

That's coming after a decade + of semi-automated vehicles being widely available and more of a norm

And that's not even the biggest obstacle to autonomous driving becoming the norm. It's the insurance and liability that's going to take ages to get sorted.

It's complicated and important to get right but I don't see that being the hold up. Unless of course Congress specifically aims to curb it. There are lawyers writing and re-writing these laws right now

I don’t even know how much one of them is. I bet at least 30k.

See that seems like a good place to have a bike to me since could could just jump to the the front on a bike in stop and go traffic.

Yeah some cars are idiots but most accidents on motorcycle are their own fault. People just won’t admit it. :lol:
i dont know the statistics but i feel like most motorcycle accidents are caused from themselves speeding which means they can't react fast enough to stupid drivers

i ride and one time we went out with my boy and this dude was riding so reckless on the streets :lol: some ppl just don't get it

Driving in anything other than bumper to bumper traffic is soothing and meditative to me.
Would always go on random 1/2 hour drives, but have cut down since gas prices went bonkers

Driving in anything other than bumper to bumper traffic is soothing and meditative to me.
Would always go on random 1/2 hour drives, but have cut down since gas prices went bonkers
i feel like this is even more relaxing with a manual transmission

i really wanna pull the trigger on one of my dream cars that has a v8 and manual transmission but the economy has me second guessing if i should hold off till things get lower

i really wanna pull the trigger on one of my dream cars that has a v8 and manual transmission but the economy has me second guessing if i should hold off till things get lower
When I didn’t drive for work I would drive my car solely cause it was a manual around the city. Switching gears is definitely more engaging while also driving to just relax on a nice afternoon. But now that I drive the car A LOT for work unfortunately I’ve lost that drive to just cruise. I get home and don’t even want to drive the car :lol:

Yeah I got a manual Mustang GT right now and any excuse to drive I'm taking it. I work from home so that daily city driving grind just to get to work hasn't beaten me down. Things may be different if I had to put up with it daily.

Ignorant…. I hate the takeover culture so much
I've always wondered like ok, as a cop y'know you're not going to catch any of the motorists but why don't they arrest the clowns who jump on the cars? If I'm a cop & I'm doing my job & you & a few other degenerates think it's going to gain you Insta-fame by stomping my patrol car's hood & you think you look cool doing it I'm going to do everything I can to arrest you. NO WAY in hell am I letting someone stomp my patrol car intentionally & just walk away from it.

Yeah I got a manual Mustang GT right now and any excuse to drive I'm taking it. I work from home so that daily city driving grind just to get to work hasn't beaten me down. Things may be different if I had to put up with it daily.
same here :lol:

work from home and need an excuse to go out :lol:

i dont know the statistics but i feel like most motorcycle accidents are caused from themselves speeding which means they can't react fast enough to stupid drivers

i ride and one time we went out with my boy and this dude was riding so reckless on the streets :lol: some ppl just don't get it

That’s exactly what it is. People can’t stop and panic and start crashing or just going way too fast in general. Hit a turn at 120 and wonder why they flew over the guard rail. :lol:

You plated the gasgas or you got a dual sport now?

I know this site is older but damn... :lol:

2040s is the timeline I've seen some experts estimate the technology could be ready

That's coming after a decade + of semi-automated vehicles being widely available and more of a norm

It's complicated and important to get right but I don't see that being the hold up. Unless of course Congress specifically aims to curb it. There are lawyers writing and re-writing these laws right now

Big yikes if you think our lawmakers, who can barely figure out how to regulate social media companies, are going to be able to sort out the intricacies and ethical questions behind AI vs human behavior. If an AI car has to make a decision between killing pedestrians or it's occupants? What should it do? If 2 AI cars are going for the same gap and cause an accident, which ones at fault? It goes on and on and on. And you expect the guys asking the CEO of google during congressional hearings how to setup their email filters to figure these out? Please...

It's funny cause the video that got posted about the newest beta, which I assume was meant to show how advanced it is, honestly does the opposite. When it gets into the right turn only lane and gets passed by the impatient driver, it completely freezes which is illegal and dangerous. It also completely freezes when the other car is trying to parallel park. What happens when the other lane is bumper to bumper? Is it going to just sit there forever?

The level of coping in that video is also astronomical. "Oh it veers into the other lane when no other cars are around and illegally inches into the intersection on a yield just like a human would. " Lmao. And that's supposed to be ready by 2040? Probably the same experts that said we'd have 1 million colonists on Mars by 2050.

I don’t even know how much one of them is. I bet at least 30k.

See that seems like a good place to have a bike to me since could could just jump to the the front on a bike in stop and go traffic.

Yeah some cars are idiots but most accidents on motorcycle are their own fault. People just won’t admit it. :lol:
Goddamn 30k? 😱 here I am thinking it tops out at like 10-15k max 🤣. Yeah you could do that lane splitting & than some idiot who is in a bigger hurry than you drives right into your rib cage with the nose of their car 🤷‍♂️ lol. Most motorcycle owners I know say it's never their own fault :lol:

That’s exactly what it is. People can’t stop and panic and start crashing or just going way too fast in general. Hit a turn at 120 and wonder why they flew over the guard rail. :lol:

You plated the gasgas or you got a dual sport now?
nah no plate or dual sport, i just ride the gas gas dirty sometimes :lol:

it has a super bright 9k lumen headlight so it looks legit

Goddamn 30k? 😱 here I am thinking it tops out at like 10-15k max 🤣. Yeah you could do that lane splitting & than some idiot who is in a bigger hurry than you drives right into your rib cage with the nose of their car 🤷‍♂️ lol. Most motorcycle owners I know say it's never their own fault :lol:

I wouldn’t split lanes unless it’s like 10 mph and bumper to bumper.

Nah bro Harley’s are expensive af for what you get. Which is a tractor motor. :lol: I’m not mad at them but not something I’d spend my money on.

Edit I was way off. They start at 18k.

Last edited:
Big yikes if you think our lawmakers, who can barely figure out how to regulate social media companies, are going to be able to sort out the intricacies and ethical questions behind AI vs human behavior. If an AI car has to make a decision between killing pedestrians or it's occupants? What should it do? If 2 AI cars are going for the same gap and cause an accident, which ones at fault? It goes on and on and on. And you expect the guys asking the CEO of google during congressional hearings how to setup their email filters to figure these out? Please...

It's funny cause the video that got posted about the newest beta, which I assume was meant to show how advanced it is, honestly does the opposite. When it gets into the right turn only lane and gets passed by the impatient driver, it completely freezes which is illegal and dangerous. It also completely freezes when the other car is trying to parallel park. What happens when the other lane is bumper to bumper? Is it going to just sit there forever?

The level of coping in that video is also astronomical. "Oh it veers into the other lane when no other cars are around and illegally inches into the intersection on a yield just like a human would. " Lmao. And that's supposed to be ready by 2040? Probably the same experts that said we'd have 1 million colonists on Mars by 2050.

According to nt my job was going to be replaced last year by an electric semi truck. :wow:

Big yikes if you think our lawmakers, who can barely figure out how to regulate social media companies, are going to be able to sort out the intricacies and ethical questions behind AI vs human behavior.

I used the word "lawyers" and not "lawmakers" for a reason

If an AI car has to make a decision between killing pedestrians or it's occupants? What should it do? If 2 AI cars are going for the same gap and cause an accident, which ones at fault? It goes on and on and on.

Yes it does. I guess that's what I meant by "It's complicated"

And you expect the guys asking the CEO of google during congressional hearings how to setup their email filters to figure these out? Please...

No, but I expect the companies spending tens of millions a year lobbying Congress to "figure it out"

Of course those against the industry and autonomous cars will have their say too

Insurance for self driving cars is a whole other ballgame. One of the largest carriers in the U.S. paid a dinosaur exec $77mm in deferred compensation within the last 2 years and he continually didn’t have a clue when asked about it. Hell they are still figuring out telematics and dealing with the parts shortage. Imo we won’t be anywhere close to autonomous driving being the norm for a very long time.

I used the word "lawyers" and not "lawmakers" for a reason

Yes it does. I guess that's what I meant by "It's complicated"

No, but I expect the companies spending tens of millions a year lobbying Congress to "figure it out"

Of course those against the industry and autonomous cars will have their say too

Bruh I can't even tell if you're being serious. Lawyers? You really think we're going to let the legal team at Geico decide the ultimate ethics and morality of machines? Cause this extends far beyond just cars.

Let me ask you one question. Should we allow AI to break laws in non-safety related scenarios? If you think yes, when what are the limits and how do you limit it? And who sets the limits? The programmers? Congress? Elon?

If you say no, then what happens when there is no way out? Should it just quit?

Bruh I can't even tell if you're being serious. Lawyers? You really think we're going to let the legal team at Geico decide the ultimate ethics and morality of machines? Cause this extends far beyond just cars.

Let me ask you one question. Should we allow AI to break laws in non-safety related scenarios? If you think yes, when what are the limits and how do you limit it? And who sets the limits? The programmers? Congress? Elon?

If you say no, then what happens when there is no way out? Should it just quit?

Industry is writing laws every day. I'm confused as to why you think the line gets drawn at automated cars. It's a shift in liability, safety is another concern altogether

Started at insurance and liability and we've reached "the ultimate ethics and morality of machines." That is probably a discussion better suited for its use beyond cars

I think the hypothetical ethical dilemmas re-decision making of AVs are over blown and sort of misconstrue how the technology works. It isn't good enough right now, but we're literally talking 20+ years in the future

To answer your question, I imagine autonomous cars will and should be programmed to be in compliance with the law 100% of the time

With a mild drop. Not sure if I should go lower. I’m happy with it.

E09003C0-364D-4C2B-B588-961B23A77B8A.jpeg

For reference, this was the leading alternative energy vehicle in 2004:
B8031F52-EFDD-4F9E-9D44-7D9E55F91EC0.jpeg

8E4C1D81-3CD8-4BEA-80F6-45489A8BDCA7.jpeg

vs today:

128A27FE-806E-45BE-A73B-45F79DF14E56.jpeg
33806660-5325-4FDE-AF28-58BD1665BB25.jpeg

The most recent example is 14% more expensive when adjusted for inflation.

I guess my questions for the skeptical folks would be:

What effect will advanced in your opinion will advanced AI have on automotive development (and the, um, advancement of assisted driving) as quantum computing becomes a reality in the process?

While I do see an additional spike in pricing as some automakers lean into ‘tech’ becoming a larger part of its products vs. ‘art’ like this historical example-outside of that observation I am no futurist so I cannot speak in any absolutes regarding future product advancements.

Just looking at any analysis regarding alternative fuel alternatives/vehicles exploring such in 2004 is pretty interesting-there were a lot of skeptics and ‘gotcha’ commentary regarding that subject matter during that time as well.

I do know that some companies within the sector are going to 4x their spending in automated driving when the next stimulus package is introduced. I guess one indicator is whether companies investing in quantum computing for problem solving will be able to integrate it smoothly/quickly in product creation cycles.

Last edited:
bruhhh...damn near peed myself. i mean i know the F8X's can get squirrelly, but when i yeeted my first hard right in 2nd...definitely gotta drive a bit differently lol
Dog :rofl: I was expecting donuts at least not a second gear yeet

Just gotta be ready to counter next time

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom