\\ Post Your Car vol. Been a minute //

I dont understand the obsession with autonomous driving. I still believe its a novelty since itll never truly be a self driving car in the sense you HAVE to pay attention just as much, arguably if not more than if you just drove it yourself. You almost have to “worry” that the car will do everything right and take into account any situation on the road. With all that I rather just drive it myself.

Also theres a silver Cayman GT4 in my garage and the owner put some Mag Blue TE37’s on it recently. Looks fire af. Ill snap a pic when I get a chance.

I was in stop and go traffic for 2 hours to go 20 miles one day last week. I would have loved to have autonomous driving that day.

I'll take that too.

I use it all the time in NYC bumper to bumper traffic, and even then im always worried someones gonna cut me off and the system wont read it. My gripe with autonomous driving is full self driving at highway speeds, or this idea itll be here in city driving. Too many factors to make that almost impossible to ever really be the norm.

I use it all the time in NYC bumper to bumper traffic, and even then im always worried someones gonna cut me off and the system wont read it. My gripe with autonomous driving is full self driving at highway speeds, or this idea itll be here in city driving. Too many factors to make that almost impossible to ever really be the norm.
Its coming

Have you watched recent videos of FSD? Making trips from LA to SF with 0 interventions needed

Its coming

Have you watched recent videos of FSD? Making trips from LA to SF with 0 interventions needed

Thats impressive but also its not like you can fully just not pay attention, probably pat more attention than if you were just driving it yourself. Theres a phenomena I forget what its called but you get in a zone and just drive from a to b almost like a robot and when you get to your destination youre like wtf. In my head I find that less stressful than counting on your car to do all the work.

You probably get more and more used to it and confident, I drove a Model X on auto pilot a good amount in LA but never fully felt like I could ease up my attention.

Thats impressive but also its not like you can fully just not pay attention, probably pat more attention than if you were just driving it yourself. Theres a phenomena I forget what its called but you get in a zone and just drive from a to b almost like a robot and when you get to your destination youre like wtf. In my head I find that less stressful than counting on your car to do all the work.

You probably get more and more used to it and confident, I drove a Model X on auto pilot a good amount in LA but never fully felt like I could ease up my attention.
Consider how much improvement has been made in autonomous driving technology over the past 10 years. Going forward another 10, its hard to imagine autonomous driving not being to the desired level youre talking about

Tesla just transitioned to a camera-only system just last year and the improvements since have been amazing.

Some people naturally worry. And they will take longer to “let go.” People were still using checks well after debit cards came out. Thats more about human nature than the tech. Everything is data driven, so the growth is exponential considering the increasing amount of capable cars on the road

Drivers have gotten so bad today i hate leaving the damn house sometimes

Consider how much improvement has been made in autonomous driving technology over the past 10 years. Going forward another 10, its hard to imagine autonomous driving not being to the desired level youre talking about

Yeah, that is the goal and whatever automaker gets there first will have a big head start in bringing EVs to the average consumer

I've said before I don't see EVs really taking off until that technology is ready and safe. The EV infrastructure that's lacking currently will follow from there

Last edited:
Harleys are pretty expensive for what you get. it's more a lifestyle type thing. millennials want some multipurpose bike that they can commute on and take on adventures for a good price. I think that Harley pan am will sell well though but damn it's expensive again...

sport naked segment is on fire, same will smaller cc bikes for sub 7 or 8k.

I'd like to see more bikes on the road, idc what kind just the more the better.
Yeah for sure, with Harleys you have to love em or be in an MC for it to make sense- what's their avg MSRP? I love the fatboy variants & their equally fat tires. Yup, that's the #1 for millenials in a bike- commuting + long haul comfort. Sport naked seems to get the lion's share of the bike market present day.

I don't see much bikes in general on the road anymore. I remember seeing way more when I was in elementary school circa mid to late 90's. I'd love to have a fatboy Harley had I lived in the countryside but in a city of 8 million people with twice as many car no no no, I wouldn't dare. My cousin had one & his wife made him sell it around the time they got married :lol:

I don’t know anything about cars, I just enjoy looking at them lol.

I watched that documentary, very strange situation. I think only one of the kids survived.

One of the people I know of that died, I believe it was due to one of those turns. She was decapitated in the crash.
I don't blame ya, they are wonderful to look at 👍. Yeah only one kid & to this day her husband maintains & defends her innocence 😒. R.I.P. to that deceased person you knew. What a tragic way to go out.

I dont understand the obsession with autonomous driving. I still believe its a novelty since itll never truly be a self driving car in the sense you HAVE to pay attention just as much, arguably if not more than if you just drove it yourself. You almost have to “worry” that the car will do everything right and take into account any situation on the road. With all that I rather just drive it myself.

Also theres a silver Cayman GT4 in my garage and the owner put some Mag Blue TE37’s on it recently. Looks fire af. Ill snap a pic when I get a chance.
Totally agree the attention required in ACC or autonomus driving increases & for me personally, I feel like I'm on my toes & hoping the car will adjust accordingly & I tense up. Like you said it requires you to pay more attention than if you were driving normally. I like being in control of the car than the car being in control of me.

Fully autonomous driving becoming the "norm" in our lifetimes is a pipedream. There's a reason the demos that show it off are always highway driving. That's easy with mostly open roads that are in good condition and they rarely have too many obstacles. Now take it into a city with narrow streets and faded lines with an Amazon delivery truck blocking half your lane and no one wants to let you in and it's a wrap. There's way too many obstacles in real world driving for fully autonomous to become normal.

And that's not even the biggest obstacle to autonomous driving becoming the norm. It's the insurance and liability that's going to take ages to get sorted.

Is there a universally defined and accepted standard for what fully autonomous driving means?
I interpret those two terms together as a car that will drive me if I was asleep with my hands off the wheel, and can go on the highway/city in different weather conditions.

If someone has to still pay attention, that doesn't seem "Full" to me.
Also, if you know about data and algorithms and image processing, there's no way FULL autonomous driving is coming in the next few decades that adhere to adequate safety standards and is widely adopted.

I love driving. Full self driving sounds horrible. What’s next a robot that ****s my wife for me?
:lol:

Well most people buy into the fantasy of being able to jerk off while driving :lol:

but in reality even if it works 95% of the time that 5% it doesn't work can send u to Allah

Not gone lie I see dudes in self driving/ auto pilot and cut em off hard with no signal to train that AI System that's collecting data :lol:
Is there a universally defined and accepted standard for what fully autonomous driving means?
I interpret those two terms together as a car that will drive me if I was asleep with my hands off the wheel, and can go on the highway/city in different weather conditions.

If someone has to still pay attention, that doesn't seem "Full" to me.
Also, if you know about data and algorithms and image processing, there's no way FULL autonomous driving is coming in the next few decades that adhere to adequate safety standards and is widely adopted.

Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 8.46.04 AM.png

I'm curious who will bear responsibility for self driving system failures that take lives, i don't want to see it happen but as we saw in arizona it already did

Fully autonomous driving becoming the "norm" in our lifetimes is a pipedream. There's a reason the demos that show it off are always highway driving. That's easy with mostly open roads that are in good condition and they rarely have too many obstacles. Now take it into a city with narrow streets and faded lines with an Amazon delivery truck blocking half your lane and no one wants to let you in and it's a wrap. There's way too many obstacles in real world driving for fully autonomous to become normal.

And that's not even the biggest obstacle to autonomous driving becoming the norm. It's the insurance and liability that's going to take ages to get sorted.

I didnt even wanna bring up the insurance and liability issues. Imagine plowing through someone at a crosswalk and then going to court saying it was Elon’s fault.

Totally agree the attention required in ACC or autonomus driving increases & for me personally, I feel like I'm on my toes & hoping the car will adjust accordingly & I tense up. Like you said it requires you to pay more attention than if you were driving normally. I like being in control of the car than the car being in control of me.

Idk if you ever tried ACC in pops CRV but it is SLOW when someone cuts you off last second. Many times ive had to slam on the breaks cause I can still feel the momentum of the car as the car cuts in front of me, and not even a hard hard last second cut, even a slow one.

It was actually better on my Civic though, my Accords ACC feels alot choppier surprisingly and its 2 model years newer.

Idk if you ever tried ACC in pops CRV but it is SLOW when someone cuts you off last second. Many times ive had to slam on the breaks cause I can still feel the momentum of the car as the car cuts in front of me, and not even a hard hard last second cut, even a slow one.

It was actually better on my Civic though, my Accords ACC feels alot choppier surprisingly and its 2 model years newer.
I have used it but mainly on a wideopen GCP & thank God no one cut me off so I didn't experience what you did, lol. In the CR-V as most newer Hondas it displays the drivers focus level & chimes when it determines you're snoozing. The lane keep assist works wonderfully & about after a minute of no hands on the wheel the car makes the wheel shake & than continue shaking more & more violently till the driver puts their hands back on it. Wonder if the Civic had a different version of the software. Sometimes when they update these programs they take a step back in response time. These ACC systems are kool n all but self driving will always be > imo

People against autonomous driving will look at the mistakes in this video as evidence it will never come in our lifetimes

Folks that understand data and machine learning will see the progress and see where things are headed

I personally dont have FSD in my car because it doesnt offer the value for me at that price. One of the reasons i love my car is that I love driving it…handling/acceleration are muted when you can’t drive.

I had adaptive cruise control on my Lexus and used it a handful of times. I find myself using autopilot more and more

I personally think that the “in our lifetime” statement is an absolute joke, but to each his own. Im hoping to live at least another 50, if this doesnt occur, I will be sorely disappointed

Last edited:
Pass on the FSD, don’t care for it plus don’t wanna fork over the 10k for it. I’m sure autopilot will suffice but I’m the type that likes to drive my car anyway. Doubt I’ll use it much.

Yeah for sure, with Harleys you have to love em or be in an MC for it to make sense- what's their avg MSRP? I love the fatboy variants & their equally fat tires. Yup, that's the #1 for millenials in a bike- commuting + long haul comfort. Sport naked seems to get the lion's share of the bike market present day.

I don't see much bikes in general on the road anymore. I remember seeing way more when I was in elementary school circa mid to late 90's. I'd love to have a fatboy Harley had I lived in the countryside but in a city of 8 million people with twice as many car no no no, I wouldn't dare. My cousin had one & his wife made him sell it around the time they got married :lol:

I don’t even know how much one of them is. I bet at least 30k.

See that seems like a good place to have a bike to me since could could just jump to the the front on a bike in stop and go traffic.

Yeah some cars are idiots but most accidents on motorcycle are their own fault. People just won’t admit it. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom