\\ Post Your Car vol. Been a minute //

How smart would it be to buy a standard, when I've never driven one before. Eventually I want to get a 2013 Accord Coupe V6 MT, so I have to learn eventually. My dad keeps saying I'm going to burn the clutch in no time, I understand how it all works (clutch in to start the car, ease off the clutch while pushing the gas, don't ease off the clutch to fast or else you'll stall, wait for it to catch then more gas, hills are more difficult to drive in, etc.). I've done my research, so I'd hope I'm ahead when I get in. Looking to get an Integra, but being restricted to an auto has made the process somewhat difficult in the market. I know I'd be able to buy one standard no problem.

Have any friends with a manual car that can help you practice? Burning the clutch is mostly relative to the condition its already in. So if anything it might be a good idea to pick up one with a fresh clutch job. The best way to learn though is to be thrown into it. No youtube tutorial or online article can give you the feel of the clutch catching and the motor lunging when you match gas to clutch. My first car was a 90 integra LS and my old man made sure it was a manual. I figured it out within 1-2 days.

Last edited:
all about practice. My dad just showed me the basics for like 5 mins. Then got out and said I was on my own :smh:. But honestly that's the best way to learn.

I never once tried a manual before I got mine in high school. I needed my mom to drive it home :lol: But I practiced all day and night, took it around the neighborhood a bunch of times stalling left and right :lol:

By the next day I was driving it around town and other than the usual stalls at stop signs here and there, I was good. Some pick it up after a couple of hours, some pick it up after a week, but you'll likely be okay. I'd definitely try to practice on a friend's car if you have the option, but I wasn't too worried about it when I got mine.

How smart would it be to buy a standard, when I've never driven one before. Eventually I want to get a 2013 Accord Coupe V6 MT, so I have to learn eventually. My dad keeps saying I'm going to burn the clutch in no time, I understand how it all works (clutch in to start the car, ease off the clutch while pushing the gas, don't ease off the clutch to fast or else you'll stall, wait for it to catch then more gas, hills are more difficult to drive in, etc.). I've done my research, so I'd hope I'm ahead when I get in. Looking to get an Integra, but being restricted to an auto has made the process somewhat difficult in the market. I know I'd be able to buy one standard no problem.

I bought one without knowing how either. Even if you understand the concept, applying it is way different. One video on YT really helped and instead of balacing the clutch and gas, hold the clutch at the "catch" point and then give it gas and thennn you can start letting the clutch go. Eventually you learn to balance it better and youll be driving easy in no time.

Unless you're a complete idiot, or you buy a car with next to no clutch left, you'll be fine. Within a week, you'll have it mostly down. I taught my gf how to drive a manual in my old 5.0 stang in a couple hours, and that had an extremely stiff clutch, an integra will be a piece of cake. Especially if you listen to what Picasso said.

I bought one without knowing how either. Even if you understand the concept, applying it is way different. One video on YT really helped and instead of balacing the clutch and gas, hold the clutch at the "catch" point and then give it gas and thennn you can start letting the clutch go. Eventually you learn to balance it better and youll be driving easy in no time.
All of this! Once you figure out the catch point concept, it becomes much easier, the smoothness and coordination between gas and clutch will come later.

I was able to snag an 07 gt/cs with 50000 on the dash for 11 grand. It had a salvage title from theft but never had been wrecked. Had a mechanic check it out and said it was clean. It's a bit of a risk but I plan on driving it until it dies so I was happy with it.

I was able to snag an 07 gt/cs with 50000 on the dash for 11 grand. It had a salvage title from theft but never had been wrecked. Had a mechanic check it out and said it was clean. It's a bit of a risk but I plan on driving it until it dies so I was happy with it.
Nice that's a steal. Any mods?

all about practice. My dad just showed me the basics for like 5 mins. Then got out and said I was on my own
mean.gif
. But honestly that's the best way to learn.
pretty much how i learned too. He took me to pick up my first car when i turned 16 and he said "it's basically the same thing as a dirt bike but you do the clutch with your foot instead of your hand" and then he made me drive it home by myself. 
laugh.gif

The worst part was obviously taking off on hills. But he told me to use the handbrake until the clutch started to grab.  worked wonders

Easiest way to learn is on a flat surface in a parking lot at night. Put it in 1st and slowly let the clutch out. When you do it correctly you'll know the catch point of your clutch. Once you know this congrats you can now drive manual. If you want to learn more sign up at StandardShift.com all they do his talk about manual driving all day. They might even have tips about the specific car you'll be getting.

man when i first learned my homie that was teaching me had such **** explanations :lol:

what helped me the most is watching his feet how he uses the clutch and just feeling everything hook up

Easiest way to learn is on a flat surface in a parking lot at night. Put it in 1st and slowly let the clutch out. When you do it correctly you'll know the catch point of your clutch.

bingo. this tip here gets way overlooked. most of the time, the primary tip is "put some gas into and release the clutch slowly" :lol:
once you find that catch point :smokin

People have a hard time finding that balance. HOLD the clutch at the point where if you let it go anymore its gonna stall. Once youre at that point (catch point) give it gas without letting go of the clutch yet, THEN you can start balacing and letting go of the clutch and giving it more gas.

Anyone know how much a decent vinyl wrap job would cost?

Been driving manual since I was 10 in an empty lot at my pops work and driving manual on streets since 16 and I never mastered manual + hill lol. I rolled back and crashed into some dude and his girl in dodger stadium gahaha jumped out the car to apologize and noticed they were all drinking turned and just walked back in the car like nothing happened lol

Been talking to my boy and he said the best time to cop a car is right around the end of December...

Any truth to this?

He said because they dot want to pay taxes on the inventory, and many of them can't hit their goals because people ain't buying whips when its cold...

Also...

Can I get a solid challenger r/t manual for $20k?

Been driving manual since I was 10 in an empty lot at my pops work and driving manual on streets since 16 and I never mastered manual + hill lol. I rolled back and crashed into some dude and his girl in dodger stadium gahaha jumped out the car to apologize and noticed they were all drinking turned and just walked back in the car like nothing happened lol

Really? Hill is light work, you just hold the clutch longer.

On a hill you're not supposed to use ebrake, but you can use it to help if you need it. Biggest pet peeve with my BRZ is no hill assist, I'd gotten too used to having that in my Golf

U wot m8? We got steep *** hills where I live. If there's a car behind you you have to use the e brake. On vehicles with no hill assist. Hill assist holds the car too long too.

Last edited:
Either the hills I have arent as steep as I think or...

I have no problem with my hills, like I said I hold the clutch longer til I get going, but I do get a lot of rollback.

Been talking to my boy and he said the best time to cop a car is right around the end of December...

Any truth to this?

I've heard the same.

it should apply to the last week of Quarter sales in general really, maybe varies on the vehicle/MFG too.

aren't you in I-Banking or something? figured you want the SRT or something flashier :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
I've heard the same.

it should apply to the last week of Quarter sales in general really, maybe varies on the vehicle/MFG too.

aren't you in I-Banking or something? figured you want the SRT or something flashier :lol: :lol:
not in ib...

In corporate finance though...

And I don't think I need a 392...

I think an rt would be more than enough for me.

I have a motorcycle so I zoom on that

You don't HAVE to use an e-brake on hills lol.  It's more of a technique for beginners to help them so they don't roll back into cars

Last edited:

Any truth to this?

He said because they dot want to pay taxes on the inventory, and many of them can't hit their goals because people ain't buying whips when its cold...

Also...

Can I get a solid challenger r/t manual for $20k?
The best time to buy is at the end of every quarter. (i.e. That's why a lot of new models are released around August/September.) You also have to consider the selection of that particular inventory towards the end of the year as well. Depending on the make/model, you might find yourself with lackluster availability/options as the more preferred vehicles have most likely been purchased.

Back
Top Bottom