\\ Post Your Car vol. Been a minute //

Do I own a new 2024? No, that was part of my point. I wouldn't buy one as they got rid of all the physical buttons for climate. But your comparison is garbage. You can't compare a phone screen to a car infotainment screen. Phones are designed to take abuse. For cars, it's not the screen getting beat up, it's the software that's all buggy in the car. Having driven plenty of demo Fords when I worked, I got to see cars with screens up close since they became a thing (well before the old brick radio with a nav screen got replaced with a full blown system that couldn't come out).

When you have everything go through the screen (i.e NO physical buttons), when the screen goes bezerk, you can't do anything inside the car. Can't run climate, can't run nav, can't run anything. Just ask GM how their all new EV Blazer is working out? They put a full DO NOT DRIVE & a STOP SELL on them. Several journalists were to use them for stories and one had to abandon the car within 28 hours in a coast to coast trip.

Problem most have with all functions on screen, is you can't just change settings for normal use items WITHOUT having to take your eyes off the road. Buttons? Muscle memory comes in as you know where each button is and what they are for, so you can just use it without looking. Not on a screen. And trust me I'm not alone.

Those are more “what if” scenarios than reality, Range Rovers have that happen to their screen here and there where it takes a minute to turn on or they have to turn the car off and on but thats LR for you.

I do agree with screens replacing buttons. Absolutely hate that, and it is not more convenient. Its just to get rid of clutter and a more “simple and elegant” interior but in reality its a PITA. I dont mind screens, but not at the cost of physical buttons (climate, volume, etc.)

Do I own a new 2024? No, that was part of my point. I wouldn't buy one as they got rid of all the physical buttons for climate. But your comparison is garbage. You can't compare a phone screen to a car infotainment screen. Phones are designed to take abuse. For cars, it's not the screen getting beat up, it's the software that's all buggy in the car. Having driven plenty of demo Fords when I worked, I got to see cars with screens up close since they became a thing (well before the old brick radio with a nav screen got replaced with a full blown system that couldn't come out).

When you have everything go through the screen (i.e NO physical buttons), when the screen goes bezerk, you can't do anything inside the car. Can't run climate, can't run nav, can't run anything. Just ask GM how their all new EV Blazer is working out? They put a full DO NOT DRIVE & a STOP SELL on them. Several journalists were to use them for stories and one had to abandon the car within 28 hours in a coast to coast trip.

Problem most have with all functions on screen, is you can't just change settings for normal use items WITHOUT having to take your eyes off the road. Buttons? Muscle memory comes in as you know where each button is and what they are for, so you can just use it without looking. Not on a screen. And trust me I'm not alone.
Oh I know you're not alone. I seen people freaking out about it all over the forums all the way up until the release. Its just seem like people are being grumpy old men, not liking change and not giving any respect to technological progress. The fact that you're saying "when" as if its guaranteed. Maybe for GM, but crappy infotainment systems and finding reasons for people to bring their cars back to the dealer is their MO. Of course their stuff is wack. Granted, most of my experiences with screens come from German cars, but its looking like the screens and their software are going to out live the drivetrain. Also, you do realize, once upon a time, you had to take your eyes off the road to use those knobs in order to build that muscle memory, right? I don’t think it’s bulletproof, but I don’t think screens are destined to fail either. Funny thing is, they’re going to have bring back or keep knobs around regardless because gen Z isn’t buy many new cars.

Oh you one of them lol? I dont think its as big of a problem as people are making it. I get it, if that screen goes out you have no access to any of anything, but I think we got touch screens down nowadays. When was the last time you phone's screen went out? Your phone goes through way more wear and tear than an cars interior screen would.
i hate screens, i think car manufactureres are doing it because its cheap and not cause its nicest
i have said this in the thread before but the 2024 rolls royce has buttons which means the people who design the most luxurious car in the world rather have buttons and knobs than a bunch of menus and screens. its faster and more accessible
1704303995761.png

Those are more “what if” scenarios than reality, Range Rovers have that happen to their screen here and there where it takes a minute to turn on or they have to turn the car off and on but thats LR for you.

I do agree with screens replacing buttons. Absolutely hate that, and it is not more convenient. Its just to get rid of clutter and a more “simple and elegant” interior but in reality its a PITA. I dont mind screens, but not at the cost of physical buttons (climate, volume, etc.)

I don't mind screens either. But NOT when it eliminates buttons you most need to use on a daily basis in the car.

And I can honestly tell you, when Ford released the original MyFordTouch back in 2011, that system was such S*** it was insane! Can't believe they released it like that. I drove a new Focus at the time (2012 hatch) the one with that awful dual clutch (that's a story for a while other time) as a demo. While going into work, the screen went black. And it didn't turn back on. No turning off and on the car was gonna fix it. Was completely out for the 40 minute drive to work. Radio was not working and had the nav been running that would have been gone too.

All I'm saying is screens are only as good as the software that is running them. And I just hate having to take my eyes off the road to change the fan speed, or whatever it is I can't do now with the lack of buttons.

Oh I know you're not alone. I seen people freaking out about it all over the forums all the way up until the release. Its just seem like people are being grumpy old men, not liking change and not giving any respect to technological progress. The fact that you're saying "when" as if its guaranteed. Maybe for GM, but crappy infotainment systems and finding reasons for people to bring their cars back to the dealer is their MO. Of course their stuff is wack. Granted, most of my experiences with screens come from German cars, but its looking like the screens and their software are going to out live the drivetrain. Also, you do realize, once upon a time, you had to take your eyes off the road to use those knobs in order to build that muscle memory, right? I don’t think it’s bulletproof, but I don’t think screens are destined to fail either. Funny thing is, they’re going to have bring back or keep knobs around regardless because gen Z isn’t buy many new cars.

I'm sure German cars are a bit more sound than some of the crap Ford brings out. The other issue is that the whole system becomes obsolete after a few years and then the manufacturer stops updating the older models and since it can't be changed out (like an old head unit) it is what it is. But definitely they will have to bring buttons and knobs back since young people just don't seem to even want to drive and rely on ride share programs rather than own a car.

Oh, and for me , I had the locations of all the stuff memorized within a day or two tops. 😎

Very valid argument
Ur turn tr1ll tr1ll

Mmmmm
Solid come back

i dont think "technological progress" = touch screen
That fact that you said this proves my point. The tech has been around so long, we take it for granted. The 86 Rivera cant hold a candle to the the worst modern touch screen. But, like we said, it kinda doesnt matter because the demographics manufactures are doing this for can even afford the cars.

That fact that you said this proves my point. The tech has been around so long, we take it for granted. The 86 Rivera cant hold a candle to the the worst modern touch screen. But, like we said, it kinda doesnt matter because the demographics manufactures are doing this for can even afford the cars.
to me technological progress means doing things more efficiently
which translates to saving time
would it be faster to click through menus to find the ac controls
or to press one button? or twist one knob?

for me its to use the button or knob
others enjoy clicking through menus but i think thats a step backwards

to me technological progress means doing things more efficiently
which translates to saving time
would it be faster to click through menus to find the ac controls
or to press one button? or twist one knob?

for me its to use the button or knob
others enjoy clicking through menus but i think thats a step backwards
Thats more of a software issue than a hardware(screen) issue. How would you feel about a screen thats laid out like an button panel, cancelling out menus?

Thats more of a software issue than a hardware(screen) issue. How would you feel about a screen thats laid out like an button panel, cancelling out menus?
Great point, see thats not necessarily bad, i think the audis have that which works well. my preference is still physical hardware but that audi system i like more than others. My buddies audi has this and its pretty simple compared to other brands
1704310449481.png

but some are not that good, for example my buddies trx screen is annoying to use.

Porsche/Audi does this now, haptic feedback and all. I guess this is "fine" and first that comes up as atleast its easier to clean. Cleaning around buttons and knobs and stuff is hard sometimes, you need like a brusk to really clean in the seams.

If an 80” TV is now $500 i’m sure slapping some ipads in a car is even cheaper. Beauty and ergonomics have been replaced with trendy ipads. Lexus has large screens but integrated into the dash like a normal car. Porsche as well and Audi. Benz and Bmw just screen things.

Sigh, I remember the times when gauges were art. The chrome rings around the Z3 for example.

Anywho, a good friend picked this beauty up today… i’m in love…. stunning inside and out

IMG_0914.jpeg
IMG_0925.jpeg
IMG_0917.jpeg

Been a while since I’ve posted. Not much done to the Skyline or Miata but starting to make progress on the 70 Bronco. Getting ready to put the coyote in. Have the cart for the tub done hopefully Tuesday so we can start on the body work while we do the motor chassis reinforcements
IMG_1772.jpeg
IMG_1771.jpeg
IMG_1770.jpeg
IMG_1766.jpeg
IMG_1765.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1766.jpeg
    IMG_1766.jpeg
    422.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1765.jpeg
    IMG_1765.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1769.jpeg
    IMG_1769.jpeg
    318.3 KB · Views: 6
Wanted to post this for the Hemi/Hellcat guys on here. My buddy is selling his manual Hellcat Widebody Challenger. 1 of 9 in Plum Crazy. If you guys know anyone who's looking, feel free to pass along the link. 🙏

Wanted to post this for the Hemi/Hellcat guys on here. My buddy is selling his manual Hellcat Widebody Challenger. 1 of 9 in Plum Crazy. If you guys know anyone who's looking, feel free to pass along the link. 🙏

Why is he selling after just acquiring it Dec?

Why is he selling after just acquiring it Dec?

😎 You got good eyes buddy. First off, he buys and sells LOTS of cars, as he wants to experience a bunch of different types of vehicles . Had a 86 Testarossa he restored then sold it when someone reached out after seeing it on social media. Had a 550 Maranello for a few years sold it. Few years ago, had an FF for a year. Had some vintage cars, for a bit and sold them. Had a 930 Turbo he bought, made it his own, drove it for a bit and sold it. Had a V10 M6 stick for a bit. He likes trying different vehicles out.

That said, he honestly just didn't likebthis. Heavy clutch, insanely loud. He didn't like the brakes. Plus he wanted something manual to drive until his new Emira arrives in 4 months as he owned several older Chrysler 300s and a few Magnums, so he has had Mopars. Just didn't like this one. That's the sole reasoning. And he'll mention it once someone asks. 👍

Back
Top Bottom